Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It sure looked, from multiple angles, that the head was the principle point of contact. Not sure why there wasn’t a penalty?!

he's fine when he's setting up for it, but extends up and catches him in the head. Should be a penalty and suspension IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No it's fine when Ryan Reaves does it because it's Part Of His Game. Now I finally understand why it's actually cool and good when Tom Wilson routinely tries to kill people on the ice, sure any other guy should be suspended for months but for him it's OK since attempted murder is Part Of His Game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Seriously, we always wonder what the hell the DOPS is thinking. That is exactly and unironically what they and everyone else in hockey believes and why Tom Wilson and Ryan Reaves are genuinely heroes to them, brave knights errant, the last Real Men in hockey. It was the victimized player's coach that said that poo poo about "nah it's cool, that's just part of his game, our guy should have kept his head up".

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He was looking over making sure he wasn't about to get his pocket picked and have a breakaway go the other way.

Yeah but it was a really long shoulder check and he just kind of forgot to look back ahead while skating forwards with the puck, which is uhhh not advisable.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

what a piece of poo poo

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Not on a “what was he supposed to do!?!” Frame, but from someone who has never played, how practical is it for Reeves to hit there without putting him in hospital or is the only real option there to pull out of the hit of the defenceless player?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

VOTE1 posted:

Not on a “what was he supposed to do!?!” Frame, but from someone who has never played, how practical is it for Reeves to hit there without putting him in hospital or is the only real option there to pull out of the hit of the defenceless player?

Yeah, well even if he doesn't extend upwards, it'll still be a nasty hit.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Guys like Reaves and Tom Wilson LOVE it when a player puts themselves in a vulnerable position because to them it's a green light to just loving slay a man and still pretend that they dont genuinely enjoy hurting people because it's clearly the fault of the person who can no longer remember their kids name anymore for not keeping their head up. Yes I am making that up in my head to get mad about it and you can't stop me!!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

VOTE1 posted:

Hronek isn't considered a defenceless player there. He has possession of the puck and is eligible to be checked. Reaves isn't picking up speed to make contact, he just takes the center line through the body of the player. Elbow isn't extended either, that means out from the body, not tucked in, so it's not Elbowing. It's not an Illegal check to the head either because he takes the center line and they were square and front-front. If the puck wasn't there, or there were timing or angle issues with the hit, I'd be all for a good few games suspended. But there's no way to take a square hit and part of you not hit the other player's head.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If Reaves was at all talented you can stick check and probably steal the puck and attack the goalie but he's not so bam bam bash.

eXXon posted:

Yeah but it was a really long shoulder check and he just kind of forgot to look back ahead while skating forwards with the puck, which is uhhh not advisable.

When Hronek looks forward initially Reaves looks like he's skating away from the play/possibly towards the bench then u-turns right as Hronek looks to his left. Shouldn't be doing that, but he scanned the ice before he checked over his shoulder and noone was anywhere near him otherwise. Its a weird play where Reaves seems to take himself way out of position but again its Ryan Reaves, and Hronek should be aware that he's gonna get out of position to run guys.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's crazy that Reaves is even in the NHL still, there's basically no true goons left. Was it a legal hit? Maybe, but most players don't make those hits nowadays, and if they do it's not so obviously malicious. His entire job is to try and hurt people because he sucks poo poo at hockey, everyone understands that. Tom Wilson gets a lot of hate too, but at least that guy can play and contribute to a team beyond just headhunting.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Even though there aren’t really any more huge Scott Stevens 90’s style open ice hits in hockey anymore (which is good,) as someone that grew up watching it I cringed so hard when Hronek literally turns his head around exorcist style to look who’s behind him as he skates the puck up the middle of the ice. gently caress Ryan Reaves for throwing that hit at a guy that didn’t see him coming.

Hronek was having a breakout season in Detroit too (24pts in 29 games)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Hronek's explanation (via Lalonde) is that he thought a delayed penalty had been called and was looking to see when his goalie would head to the bench.

Chiarot did come in high on Reaves later in retaliation for another hit, leading to a fight:

https://twitter.com/RyanHanaWWP/status/1603202551989829632

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VOTE1 posted:

Not hitting there is an option yeah, and most players take it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm not gonna get into whether it was legal like that, but I enjoy big open ice hits. They're part of the game and so long as you're not looking to crush a guy's skull or leaping into it they're a legitimate hockey play. 90% of the time they don't work and the hitter just throws themselves out of position, but I like that there's an element of risk to guys trying to skate it up the middle over and over.

I am very happy the goons are gone though. It happened pretty suddenly too. How many are even left league wide? 3?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you're talking about a player who can't really play but is on the ice for the sole purpose of trying to hurt people, I think Reaves is the last full time punchman. There are a few others that bounce up from the minors a few times a year for Rivalry Games or whatever bullshit. Otherwise it's guys like Wilson and Scheifle and Trouba, etc., who regularly take runs but are in the lineup because they can play.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, it's a dirty hit without him extending out and upward to intentionally try and cause brain damage.

gently caress Reaves and any team that employs his reckless rear end.

Also gently caress the NHL and George Parros. The gently caress kind of rear end in a top hat puts a violent goon on charge of player safety?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I keep telling you all, Tom Wilson is 100.0% going to be head of DOPS after he retires

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/TU2y-t9-u1U

All 800 goals if you have 15 minutes of time. That’s a goal every 1.16 seconds.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

https://youtu.be/TU2y-t9-u1U

All 800 goals if you have 15 minutes of time. That’s a goal every 1.16 seconds.

When he retires I hope someone makes a super cut of all his identical ovi spot goals over the year to show how little it changed over two decades and yet no one could ever figure out how to stop it.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

That hit fuckin rocked... blew that dudes rear end up drat...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Golden Man posted:

Hi George

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
That Reaves hit is one I would always try and line up in the NHL video games, but horrific to still see happen to a human.

If he has to blow a guy up, should have gone for a hip check instead of extending through his dome.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

The Golden Man posted:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Cocaine Bear posted:

Also gently caress the NHL and George Parros. The gently caress kind of rear end in a top hat puts a violent goon on charge of player safety?
And on that note:
https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1603407364769697792
https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1603408689767104512

Glad to see Hronek was almost immediately feeling better, and that he was kept from returning. Hopefully there's nothing lingering.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Golden Man posted:

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Good on Chiarot for standing up for his teammate by taking a penalty and then eating three shots to the face

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Chad Sexington posted:

That Reaves hit is one I would always try and line up in the NHL video games, but horrific to still see happen to a human.

If he has to blow a guy up, should have gone for a hip check instead of extending through his dome.

Hip checks own

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Jhet posted:

Hronek isn't considered a defenceless player there. He has possession of the puck and is eligible to be checked. Reaves isn't picking up speed to make contact, he just takes the center line through the body of the player. Elbow isn't extended either, that means out from the body, not tucked in, so it's not Elbowing. It's not an Illegal check to the head either because he takes the center line and they were square and front-front. If the puck wasn't there, or there were timing or angle issues with the hit, I'd be all for a good few games suspended. But there's no way to take a square hit and part of you not hit the other player's head.

This is the best explanation of the hit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Legal hits can be dirty.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
McDavid: 24 points in his last 10 games; casually leading the league in goals and assists.

Oilers: 7th in the conference.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Aphrodite posted:

Legal hits can be dirty.

Going to agree with Aphrodite on this one. Makes me feel kind of weird tbh

All this poo poo about Ovie and big hits is taking away from Tage chat so let’s post some fuckin charts

https://twitter.com/cmdedominicis/status/1603432377505701890?s=46&t=AIfDyX2OQMcQkK4r6xMfOw

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Weird way of spelling Jack Hughes on both counts

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1603455115528224786

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Who had December 15 in the pool?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Legal hits can be dirty.

lmfao

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Golden Man posted:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What is non-roster status?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I assume it basically means healthy scratch, i.e. still counts against the cap