Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lobotomy molo posted:

fact check: this is objectively true. :) :)

random representative sample: bans & permas of cspam and gbs posters during the recent crackdown on both ukraine war threads from 10/16/22 to 11/11/22. both threads got closed at around the same time for ostensibly similar reasons (bloodlust, psycho posting, attacking other forums, etc etc). didn't know who every poster was, don't care

cspam:
bans: 14
permabans: 8
total # bans: 22

gbs:
bans: 7
permabans: 2
total # bans: 9

guess the subforum by the banned post

___GBS___

__cspam__

___GBS___

__cspam__

___GBS___

__cspam__

___GBS___

__cspam__

in conclusion:
+400% more permabans and +244% more total bans were handed out against cspammers for what are obviously far less egregious cspam posts. this reflects an obvious biased moderation trend towards banning cspammers. in conclusion: release all cspam political prisoners (please and thank you) :) :)

Great reporting work. Free sexpig. Free cumshitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

drinking a big mug of coffee this morning and reading posts

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

really queer Christmas posted:

Majorian, I don't think you're a bad poster and have had good discussions with you even when I've disagreed with you. Even had some nice pms with you, but if your reaction to small scale trolling is what happened tonight then this really will not end well. Genuinely: either massively change your perspective as a mod for cspam or reconsider because this isn't supposed to be a special job, you're an internet janitor.

^^lol sat on this post for too long

he is not a bad politics poster and also the way he made d&d posters mad was v funny.

the idea that mods consider themselves shaping the culture or w/e of the subforums they manage is weird. That's how you end up with Bobbie Wickham e/n.

They have a bigger impact than other posters for sure but, for the most part, they should just act like regular posters. But if you want to shape cspam, shape into a crinkled ball and toss into the trash >:]

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Majorian posted:

Sure, go ahead. Don't close it if people you don't like start posting in it though, that's cowardly.

lol unreal

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

HashtagGirlboss posted:

At work when I’m mad I never send an email or slack until I’ve cooled down enough to make sure I’m not making things worse. Not trying to be condescending but this might be a good practice. Very few posts need immediate real time moderation and thirty minutes might make all the difference

you just don't understand

someone was being a prick

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Majorian posted:

Yeah, I think this is correct. It's been a really stressful week and a half for me in my personal life, which means I probably shouldn't have moderated during that time. Sorry to everyone for that. I'll take my lesson and do better going forward. No more slapfights for me, no more moderating during slapfights.

shut up with the nonstop "i promise to do better" garbage

your "im a smol bean" bullshit all week has been tedious and annoying

e:

Majorian posted:

You're losing your poo poo over two people getting sixers and me getting briefly pissy, and you're saying I'm too thin-skinned? Seek help, seriously.

Not enough believers in the marketplace of ideas here, I'm afraid.:smith:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

resign

Phone has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Dec 15, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
We should have a mod feedback thread where they tell the posters how much the mods hate them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

At work when I’m mad I never send an email or slack until I’ve cooled down enough to make sure I’m not making things worse. Not trying to be condescending but this might be a good practice. Very few posts need immediate real time moderation and thirty minutes might make all the difference

yeah, agree with all this. it is bad modding practice to make decisions while angry or upset, which can add fuel to a spiraling meltdown that didn't have to happen or can lead to bad decisions that you wouldn't make if you were thinking clearly. It's also bad modding practice to resolve your own posting disputes with probes or bans. imo if a mod is actively engaged in a discussion and it gets heated enough that they think some kind of moderator action should be taken, they should almost always stop, take a breath, take a step back, and if possible ask someone else to come in and look at the situation before making any decision, which is possible now that cspam has a full mod team meaning somebody else is usually around in some capacity.

Filthy Hans posted:

what happened to Korean Boomhauer

I checked the Goons Who Are No Longer With Us thread and he wasn't mentioned, but that isn't proof of life per se

KB is alive and well but dealing with a busy personal life at the moment.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i hope the mods love and respect me

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Love a good mod meltdown. It is one of my favorite things

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Love a good mod meltdown. It is one of my favorite things

getting a bit routine at this point tbh

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lobotomy molo posted:

fact check: this is objectively true. :) :)

random representative sample: bans & permas of cspam and gbs posters during the recent crackdown on both ukraine war threads from 10/16/22 to 11/11/22. both threads got closed at around the same time for ostensibly similar reasons (bloodlust, psycho posting, attacking other forums, etc etc). didn't know who every poster was, don't care

cspam:
bans: 14
permabans: 8
total # bans: 22

gbs:
bans: 7
permabans: 2
total # bans: 9

in conclusion:
+400% more permabans and +244% more total bans were handed out against cspammers for what are obviously far less egregious cspam posts. this reflects an obvious biased moderation trend towards banning cspammers. in conclusion: release all cspam political prisoners (please and thank you) :) :)

to be fair, a big part of this is cspam's fault. when the big "neutral review" came it had been (for both cspam mods and posters) in vogue for a very long time to take a very "we're the cool kids, let them scream in qcs" attitude about the u/r drama.

the problem is, that attitude only works if you actually aren't being baited by GBS freaks into increasingly deranged takes. and the stuff the cspam people caught punishments for was pretty legit punishable in most cases.

if you ask me the gibbering snuff film lunatics who doxxed or threatened to doxx several people were of course "worse," but that comparison doesn't really matter because they're different subs with different standards.

my take after getting some distance is it probably would have been better to admit earlier that thread needed heavier handed moderation for the "im here to say how i want tankies to die" style of stuff earlier, instead of just "let them post it out until they melt down".

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I've got to be honest, modding doesn't seem very hard and everyone who says that always seems to have personality problems that make it way more difficult to be a good mod.

Kind of like how the D&D mods complain about the job all the time but the hardest part of it seems to be that when things get boring they all decide to gently caress with people and kick up chaos.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
"I mean, I'm smiling, but I am very loving furious" :redflag:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

vyelkin posted:

KB is alive and well but dealing with a busy personal life at the moment.

I have no choice but to not believe this

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I went ahead an ungassed the Stewie Griffin thread. As an avid Family Guy fan since the very beginning, I have been enjoying it and would hate to see the forums lose it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Azathoth posted:

I went ahead an ungassed the Stewie Griffin thread. As an avid Family Guy fan since the very beginning, I have been enjoying it and would hate to see the forums lose it.

Thank you

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Azathoth posted:

my feedback is: thank you thats good

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
undo all the permas i disagree with but not the ones i do agree with. ty.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Phone posted:

lol unreal

buttons for me, not for thee

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

stop aggroing the Majorian you're going ruin the whole dungeon run

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

We should have a mod feedback thread where they tell the posters how much the mods hate them.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My feedback is that all feedback threads, including all QCS threads, should either have a six hour timer on new posts or have posting in them result in an autosixer because they always become worthless as they are overrun with the same set of posters that overrun all those threads trying to drive them off topic and prevent actual discussion so need to be slowed down if they are ever going to result in actual feedback and good suggestions.

I will take a sixer for this post.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Lmao

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mod feedback: please continue probing ironcrowned and maybe consider a ban for wanting to kill dogs

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KirbyKhan posted:

Great reporting work. Free sexpig. Free cumshitter

release the sexpig PMs :) :)

speng31b posted:

to be fair, a big part of this is cspam's fault. when the big "neutral review" came it had been (for both cspam mods and posters) in vogue for a very long time to take a very "we're the cool kids, let them scream in qcs" attitude about the u/r drama.

the problem is, that attitude only works if you actually aren't being baited by GBS freaks into increasingly deranged takes. and the stuff the cspam people caught punishments for was pretty legit punishable in most cases.

if you ask me the gibbering snuff film lunatics who doxxed or threatened to doxx several people were of course "worse," but that comparison doesn't really matter because they're different subs with different standards.

my take after getting some distance is it probably would have been better to admit earlier that thread needed heavier handed moderation for the "im here to say how i want tankies to die" style of stuff earlier, instead of just "let them post it out until they melt down".

:wrong: i didn't want to make a long boring post even longer but nope, there were far more banworthy posts in GBS than in CSPAM, but the vast majority of the GBS ones simply resulted in a short probe and the mod telling them to pause their most racist screeds temporarily. :) :)

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
embarassing thread

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

really queer Christmas posted:

Mod feedback: please continue probing ironcrowned and maybe consider a ban for wanting to kill dogs

gladly. they were up for a perma at one point for it but it apparently never happened, even though some of us thought it was going to. I will ban+30 that poo poo all day if I see it again

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Crusty Nutsack posted:

gladly. they were up for a perma at one point for it but it apparently never happened, even though some of us thought it was going to. I will ban+30 that poo poo all day if I see it again

Dogs are part of the unique thread culture imo but please rigorously enforce a no-posting-about-sex policy for problem posters.

(My opinion is “playtime is over” was completely hallucinated and no dogs were harmed in producing the catchphrase of the year)

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I believe he was told that if he posts about dogs again it’s a perma.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crusty Nutsack posted:

that’s odd. why are so many cspam posters up for permas? :) :)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cspam’s a lot bigger than gbs, but not 400% bigger, so the number of permabans handed out to cspammers seem a little excessive. like sexpig, for a good example. :) :)

i thought about analyzing how many of the cspam bans and permas in that sample were for “lifetime achievement” ban reasons, while very few (none?) of the GBS bans were given out for that reason, but I got lazy :)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i hope to never be considered for a permaban

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

lobotomy molo posted:

cspam’s a lot bigger than gbs, but not 400% bigger, so the number of permabans handed out to cspammers seem a little excessive. like sexpig, for a good example. :) :)

i thought about analyzing how many of the cspam bans and permas in that sample were for “lifetime achievement” ban reasons, while very few (none?) of the GBS bans were given out for that reason, but I got lazy :)

your dumb forum wars brain is so strong that you seem like you're advocating for keeping the user who loves to talk about how all dogs should be murdered around

shut up

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crusty Nutsack posted:

your dumb forum wars brain is so strong that you seem like you're advocating for keeping the user who loves to talk about how all dogs should be murdered around

shut up

ya i thought so too which is why I went back and double-checked the data. nope, objectively 400% more permabans for cspammers :) :)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I don't care where you post, talking about how animals need to be killed should be permad

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

refusing to use buttons and moderator authority except in the obvious cases of rulebreaking or when another forum piles in to gawk is how cspam managed to achieve all of the following:

a dipshit in an elementary waving a razor blade for vlog clout when he wasn't noticeably increasing the forums revenue by plastering his face everywhere
a thread that radicalized the scourge of pacific northwestern proud boy toes
a goonfund run by the laziest possible person instead of being given parameters before it was allowed to not be gassed on sight
a "containment" thread for baiting people into arguing with the most tedious and contrarian centrist takes since the media literacy thread

and the takeaway from all of this is "no, mods should use their buttons less and just let posters riff it out"

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redneck nazgul posted:

refusing to use buttons and moderator authority except in the obvious cases of rulebreaking or when another forum piles in to gawk is how cspam managed to achieve all of the following:

a dipshit in an elementary waving a razor blade for vlog clout when he wasn't noticeably increasing the forums revenue by plastering his face everywhere
a thread that radicalized the scourge of pacific northwestern proud boy toes
a goonfund run by the laziest possible person instead of being given parameters before it was allowed to not be gassed on sight
a "containment" thread for baiting people into arguing with the most tedious and contrarian centrist takes since the media literacy thread

and the takeaway from all of this is "no, mods should use their buttons less and just let posters riff it out"

the mods are too darn busy to do any of those things they’ve got their hands full permabanning sexpig for no reason :) :)

“there must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect” -some admin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Quotey posted:

embarassing thread

ah drat and we were so close to figuring out which threads were the bad threads and which posters were the bad posters, thus solving all of our problems forever!

welp better luck next time