Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I just want the Astros to sign a left fielder ffs. Uncle Mike, Bentintendi, Profar, someone. I don't want to go into the season with the plan being either Yordan playing the field most of the time or a Chas/Dubon/Tucker outfield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Boxberger is fine but also like, the one thing we already have is a shitload of arms for the pen and so far the Cubs have done nothing to address the fact that they let their best bat in Contreras walk. And no Bellinger doesn't count because while he could bounce back, he also has a 74 OPS+ over his last ~1200 PA's. They needed to pick up like 2-3 quality hitters to actually help this team in any way whatsoever and so far they've signed zero.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

I just want the Astros to sign a left fielder ffs. Uncle Mike, Bentintendi, Profar, someone. I don't want to go into the season with the plan being either Yordan playing the field most of the time or a Chas/Dubon/Tucker outfield

I think it's Brantley, they're just seeing how his shoulder progresses.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

this dude looks like he makes a mean sandwich for you down at the local firehouse subs

looks like he has been put on desk duty after driving his squad car into a quiznos.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What happened to Bellinger ? Was there a crisis or ?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

euphronius posted:

What happened to Bellinger ? Was there a crisis or ?

He got hurt a bunch and it completely hosed up his swing mechanics. If you want a deeper dive somebody posted this a while back that makes a fairly compelling argument for what exactly is wrong with him: https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022/10/20/the-downfall-and-possible-resurrection-of-cody-bellinger

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sydin posted:

He got hurt a bunch and it completely hosed up his swing mechanics. If you want a deeper dive somebody posted this a while back that makes a fairly compelling argument for what exactly is wrong with him: https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022/10/20/the-downfall-and-possible-resurrection-of-cody-bellinger

Thanks that article made a compelling case

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I think it's incredible that Bellinger has spent multiple seasons underperforming so he could, in conjunction with the Cubs saving money this offseason, become an MVP candidate again (losing to Christopher Morel), just so there's a slam dunk case for Ohtani when it comes tiime to sign and come to Wrigleyville

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

in Oakland A's news the most beloved hot dog vendor at the Colesium won't be coming back, he finished his PhD in economics and the FO won't hire him because he actually loves the A's and the fans. edit: I did finally see a really good breakdown on the Murphy trade from someone FO adjacent, though, and what I had been failing to consider is five players is, numerically, more than one player and as five is a larger number than one this is pretty good. Wow!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Working for the A's FO has to be depressing. The organization it pretty much perpetually in "we are about to sell the team" mode yet John Fisher has no such intentions, it's just some cruelty he feels obliged to inflict on Oakland residents.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/jon_greenberg/status/1603424222721806338

:sickos:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

maffew buildings posted:

in Oakland A's news the most beloved hot dog vendor at the Colesium won't be coming back, he finished his PhD in economics and the FO won't hire him because he actually loves the A's and the fans. edit: I did finally see a really good breakdown on the Murphy trade from someone FO adjacent, though, and what I had been failing to consider is five players is, numerically, more than one player and as five is a larger number than one this is pretty good. Wow!

Remember when the White Sox renamed Loretta's Lounge to be named after La Russa

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Popete posted:

Working for the A's FO has to be depressing. The organization it pretty much perpetually in "we are about to sell the team" mode yet John Fisher has no such intentions, it's just some cruelty he feels obliged to inflict on Oakland residents.

Fisher wrote an autobiography about his trials of growing up as a mega-rich kid and his struggles to become gently caress the world rich and gives it out only to close associates and friends. The man is completely hosed in the head as far as the ability to be anything resembling a normal or decent human, which isn't unique among team owners, but he really does his best to outshine the other assholes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Remember when the White Sox renamed Loretta's Lounge to be named after La Russa

The La Russa saga started with him trying to flash his rings to get out of a DUI and ended with him quietly being swept out after his team crashed out of their playoff chances while La Russa was in the hospital. Just absolute loving ineptitude from start to finish, thank you Jerry Reinsdorf for this phenomenal content.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

We don't have to but there's nothing wrong with doing so either :shrug:
I disagree. I think that over time when we do the GM minigame we tend to internalize that mindset. I've certainly been guilty of this, it has been the default perspective for "smart nerd" baseball fans for the past 20 years.

I wonder, if we made a conscious effort to NOT do that for awhile, how it might shift our attitudes over time.

Popete posted:

It's just like working as a bloodsucking wall street vampire except you're min-maxing a baseball roster instead of extracting every last dime from trailer park residents and 401k plans. If anything I bet a bunch of them feel good about their work, aside from their own pay not measuring up.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 15, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Why have a billion dollar payroll and not have the biggest video board in the MLB I guess.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

maffew buildings posted:

become an MVP candidate again (losing to Christopher Morel)

What on Earth is with the fascination with Morel? Dude's really fast, sure, but he struck out a zillion times last year and is borderline allergic to walks. Pretty rough glove, too; he projects to maybe be a utility outfielder at best.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

davecrazy posted:

Why have a billion dollar payroll and not have the biggest video board in the MLB I guess.

Big video boards are kinda cool, better than big permanent fuckoff sponsor/ad installations see the entire Minute Maid Park left field

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Timby posted:

What on Earth is with the fascination with Morel? Dude's really fast, sure, but he struck out a zillion times last year and is borderline allergic to walks. Pretty rough glove, too; he projects to maybe be a utility outfielder at best.

if shohei ohtani can go from a high school hitter to unanimous mvp then hell, christopher morel can too

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Look at this post. Just look at it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Timby posted:

He's fun and that's more important than anything else.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

Look at this post. Just look at it.

I grew up watching Jose Hernandez strike out 200 times a year and looking like a fool against scrubs like Cal Eldred and Ron Villone. I have scars. :(

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Morel is an incredibly upbeat guy who is fun to watch. He started really hot before struggling at the end of the year but hopefully he can adjust in 2023 and keep a spot in the everyday lineup. He's a fun young player who is very easy to cheer for.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Counterpoint: shut your dumb mouth.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Red Sox released Jeter Downs. What a trade lol

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Timby posted:

I'm not sure which Morel you're talking about because this doesn't describe Christopher Morel at all, besides the fast part

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Nodoze posted:

I know prospect development isn't linear, sometimes guys just flame out, and nobody knows the future, but yeah, that's a black eye on a FO that's already taken a battering this off-season.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

tinstaach posted:

Lorenzen's career SLG is .429. Here are all the Detroit Tigers who had a higher SLG in 2022:
  • Kerry Carpenter, .485 in 113 PA
  • Eric Haase, .443 in 351 PA

Tigers offense was so bad. I don't even know what you do with Baez besides bench him every time he swings at a slider in the dirt.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

now to complete the circle, Dodgers must pick him up and fix him

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Timby posted:

Y'know, I didn't get the fascination either until you laid it out for me.

Morel is now my favorite player in MLB that is not an Astro. Shine on, you crazy wish.com Javier Baez.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

morel was delighted to play for our lovely team and gave us a few moments of joy in a hopeless, cynical season.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Christopher Morel hugs everyone, doesn't matter who you are or how long you've been in the league. He hit a single and hugged Paul Goldschmidt and you could tell Goldschmidt was extremely confused.

He also tried to fist-bump C.B. Bucknor when he walked up to the plate.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Nodoze posted:

they could have had brusdar graterol in that trade lol

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Timby posted:

Agreed you should trade Morel plus prospects to the Diamondbacks for Pavin Smith, it's only the smart call.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

No Safe Word posted:

Big video boards are kinda cool, better than big permanent fuckoff sponsor/ad installations see the entire Minute Maid Park left field

Wait until you see what MMP looks like next year (One giant video board, except the video board is covered in ads)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://mobile.twitter.com/stltoday/status/1603465293388517376

Didn’t see this posted. It’s a shame but had to happen. I hope Dan gets his poo poo together.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Fuckin watch out AL East, the Orioles are finally spending some money on *checks notes* Adam Frazier, 1/8M.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

Shine on, you crazy wish.com Javier Baez.

idk what it was but something about this really got me lmao

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

I'm not sure which Morel you're talking about because this doesn't describe Christopher Morel at all, besides the fast part

is a 32.2 K% not a zillion times because it sure sounds like it

e: and according to all the metrics I can see he's a pretty bad OF too

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Artix posted:

Fuckin watch out AL East, the Orioles are finally spending some money on *checks notes* Adam Frazier, 1/8M.
God bless, one of 2021's BABIP heroes