Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Full OP for caption contest is up! We also went through the Trump NFT collection to pull a bunch of examples and templates for easy use.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019787

I'll give Trump and his team this - honestly, the idea of an NFT collection that doesn't care about verified individuality but instead focuses on theoretically valuable "real life prizes" is kinda genius, in a sick and evil way. Cut off the whole blockchain vs. "right-click" mentality at the knees by just not bothering with it, and instead get the rubes to buy a bunch of lovely Photoshop JPEGs in an attempt to win a bullshit meet-and-greet or an exclusive video of Trump distractedly "signing" your NFT (a thing he definitely knows nothing about and will be very confused while doing).

It makes me wonder if Trump just managed to give the whole stupid NFT fad enough of a shot in the arm to keep limping along for another few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tibalt posted:

DeSantis recently announced his plan to make a federated CDC out of state health agencies with a couple of other chud governors. I believe that's the cause.

So basically just a "new and improved" CDC that will agree to falsify numbers for him.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Angry_Ed posted:

So basically just a "new and improved" CDC that will agree to falsify numbers for him.

A Confederate CDC. Maybe they can pool National Guards next to keep the woke away at the Mason/Dixon.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Angry_Ed posted:

With what money lol? Florida might be one of the better off red states in terms of federal funding dependency but I imagine getting with a ton of other states that have no budget to recreate a fake federal agency is kind of hillarious.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

small butter posted:

Thanks.

What about the idea that Fauci "lied" about the research? From what I can gather, different people and institutions have different definitions of it and Fauci was being honest by using the definition that the NIH uses. (But regardless, COVID wasn't manmade.)

Do you have any reason to believe that he "lied" about the research, other than the fact that it's frequently repeated by conspiracy theorists in support of a theory that's clearly false?

There doesn't need to be anything at all to the idea. It's not uncommon for them to take vast liberties in interpreting stuff to come up with conclusions that have no actual relation to what it actually said. And of course it's not uncommon for them to rely on poo poo that's just straight-up made up out of whole cloth.

This is why I generally don't see any value in digging into the fine details of conspiracy theories - the specifics of whatever "evidence" they're relying on are often so badly and incomprehensibly twisted that it's not worth the effort to decode.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I try not to post the chud website crap too much but I just had to know how they were handling this.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tecnocrat posted:

A Confederate CDC. Maybe they can pool National Guards next to keep the woke away at the Mason/Dixon.

where... where do you think the CDC is

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cr0y posted:

I try not to post the chud website crap too much but I just had to know how they were handling this.

Dangerously on the cusp of getting it.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

cr0y posted:

It’s so enjoyable seeing the line where even his own diehards realize the grift.

I honestly believe this and the boring re-election announcement are an inflection point where his primary numbers nosedive and DeSantis starts flexing his moronic grassroot support.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Are these stylized to look like rear end? Am I missing something? It's like, the barest of the minimum of effort.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

zenguitarman posted:

Are these stylized to look like rear end? Am I missing something? It's like, the barest of the minimum of effort.

No you seem to understand.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zenguitarman posted:

They're NFTs, barest minimum of effort is their maximum of effort.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New Hampshire is officially rebelling against the idea of sharing their primary day with Nevada.

https://twitter.com/Lis_Smith/status/1603481253927346181
https://twitter.com/Lis_Smith/status/1603484089071321089
https://twitter.com/Lis_Smith/status/1603484706796105728

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/HowardMortman/status/1603468318706368517?s=20&t=6xpBzizAFJmFI4C9GlXD9A

So guessing this is dying in the Senate....

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Correct, the Senate is going to be busy working on other things, this won't get a vote and it would need 60* votes anyway.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If you are bored and want to sort through hundreds of pages of other people's mail this holiday season, the Feds just declassified another big stack of JFK Investigation documents. Maybe you'll crack the case!

https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/release2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rigel posted:

Correct, the Senate is going to be busy working on other things, this won't get a vote and it would need 60* votes anyway.

Why are politicians so reluctant to give statehood to Puerto Rico anyways?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Randalor posted:

They might vote Democrat.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

zenguitarman posted:

They just ran "thin strong Donald Trump cowboy maga" through an AI art generator.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

They just ran "thin strong Donald Trump cowboy maga" through an AI art generator.

Dang:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

If you are bored and want to sort through hundreds of pages of other people's mail this holiday season, the Feds just declassified another big stack of JFK Investigation documents. Maybe you'll crack the case!

It says here George HW Bush did it

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Randalor posted:

I mean American politics are incredibly narrow and fragile. Anything that upsets the status quo is bad for anyone who takes advantage of the system to win, which right now is Republicans, though you can be sure Democrats would vote against it if they were trying to split up Arkansas into Arkansas and Second, Redder Arkansas.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Randalor posted:

It's exceptionally poor thanks to a legacy of colonialism and endemic corruption. Would instantly be 51st in most metrics, well below Mississippi. Infrastructure has been decimated by hurricanes and companies skimming money off the top. The US government (both parties) just wants to let the territory rot over in the corner and depopulate rather than deal with these issues.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

This is antidemocratic pap from a woman who thought it seemly to take her top off and let a NY State official suck on her toes (and not his wife’s) in front of children.

Stop mediating liars and predators, please? Lis Smith needs to be in a cage for all our safety.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Randalor posted:

there are three choices: statehood; the status quo; and independence. for a long time there has never been a clear majority for either statehood or independence, and most votes have all three options so nothing gets a majority. they finally had a two-way vote and statehood won 53-47

but this bill doesn't implement that, it just implements another (three-way again this time) election with what appears to be a promise the results would be respected but i don't know how much that is worth

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

evilweasel posted:

there are three choices: statehood; the status quo; and independence. for a long time there has never been a clear majority for either statehood or independence, and most votes have all three options so nothing gets a majority. they finally had a two-way vote and statehood won 53-47

but this bill doesn't implement that, it just implements another (three-way again this time) election with what appears to be a promise the results would be respected but i don't know how much that is worth

Meanwhile the most recent DC statehood referendum passed with like 84% of the vote and they've got a full constitution and framework of government set up and ready to go any loving day now. Even the local Republican Party of DC is pro-statehood. But it's a guaranteed two blue Senate seats and we can't have that can we?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

evilweasel posted:

To be technical, another option being bandied about was a fantasy "Commonwealth" status that doesn't exist in the constitution but would've given PR all of the benefits of statehood with none of the drawbacks (like income taxes). PR's politics have their own issues which is why there's no real consensus over it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Puerto Rico's passed statehood referenda three times at this point.

small butter posted:

So do we know what might have set them off besides Fauci's retirement? Like, there wasn't that much discussion of COVID or Fauci around the summer but now it's everywhere on right wing Twitter.

Edit: Also, is there a good explainer about the right's obsession with gain of function research in Wuhan? Some say that "the NIH admitted it!!!" and others say "not so fast."

re: gain of function, it's a conspiracy theory promoted by a variety of different parties, with different motivations. I tackled one of the major sources in the covid thread here while discussing how conspiracy theories work.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 15, 2022

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Vire posted:

With what money lol? Florida might be one of the better off red states in terms of federal funding dependency but I imagine getting with a ton of other states that have no budget to recreate a fake federal agency is kind of hillarious.

Silly, thats only if you want something to function as a real agency. When you want just some random guy to make a website and repost your lies it's cheap cheap cheap!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

projecthalaxy posted:

Enjoying the several pages of records of people from 1996 writing letters to each other saying that their fax didn't go through entirely and to please resend. Then, another letter saying it is still not coming through entirely and to figure out if their fax machine is broken.

Close runner up is the report on someone's Soviet wife who is much more attractive than him, but otherwise suspicious.

Randalor posted:

Bad Bunny is vocally against it and has threatened to ruined the careers of politicians who support it (not a joke).

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 15, 2022

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

selec posted:

This is antidemocratic pap from a woman who thought it seemly to take her top off and let a NY State official suck on her toes (and not his wife’s) in front of children.

Stop mediating liars and predators, please? Lis Smith needs to be in a cage for all our safety.

excuse me, what

selec
Sep 6, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

excuse me, what

https://nypost.com/2014/01/06/spitzer-and-lis-smith-caught-in-topless-hot-tub-antics/amp/

They were gonna try and make this pervert president some day

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Supposedly this bill is different from the non-binding referendum in the past. Everything I've read says that if statehood passed, then it somehow would bind the government to follow through, and there are steps and dates outlined in the law when different things have to happen on the way to statehood.

It won't pass simply because the GOP is absolutely convinced that they would elect 2 democrats to the Senate. PR had tried in the past to convince the GOP that it would be a competitive battleground state, but they don't believe it. From their partisan POV, they have a massive structural advantage built into the 50 states right now. Even if they did somehow think PR could be competitive, why take the chance?

In the past, states generally had to be admitted in pairs to balance the current political impact. Last time in the 1950's the partisan divide was mostly racist southerners opposed to civil rights vs northern liberals rather than Dem vs GOP. The racist southerners didn't like Hawaii's cultural diversity and the way they would likely vote for civil rights laws, so all-white Alaska was offered up to balance, and even then the southerners said no until they lost enough elections to where they couldn't effectively deny Hawaii anymore.

evilweasel posted:

there are three choices: statehood; the status quo; and independence.

Well, to be clear there isn't a status quo option. The third option of "independence with free association with the US" would be a legal change with consequences. They would become similar to Micronesia and would likely lose automatic US citizenship.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 15, 2022

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Could someone who delves into the chud-web verify if they are just as mad about this naked cash-grab as I would be

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bad Bunny is vocally against it and has threatened to ruined the careers of politicians who support it (not a joke).

Who?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

He's the biggest pop star in the world.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

He's the biggest pop star in the world.

Well now I know.

I was trying to figure out which politician you were trying to insult with a nickname, not... actually using someone's stage name.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

There's an adult artist named bad bunny, naughty bunny or something similar and I have a brief moment of confusion every time I see his name in headlines

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Trump launched his campaign over 3 weeks ago and has been completely radio silent with no major events since then.

He finally made a public statement and is holding a press conference tomorrow. Time to start the wild speculation.

I think the most likely scenario is that he is just looking for attention for something minor. Still unclear why he decided to announce his campaign so earlier and then refuse to go out in public for nearly a month right after you do.

https://twitter.com/ShelbyTalcott/status/1603057785901617154

This looks like a loving Onion article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

This looks like a loving Onion article

An actual parody looks better:

https://mobile.twitter.com/VoughtIntl/status/1603499559937642496