Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

State anti-abortion groups are upset that the FDA decided to allow abortion pills to be sent via mail following the Dobbs decision and worried that it is undermining the ability the prevent abortions.

Now, a group in Texas is trying to get as many states as possible to ban mailing abortion pills and jail people who "traffic" them to set up a confrontation with the federal government. The federal government has warned states that they have no authority to try and stop the postal service from delivering FDA approved drugs.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1603128215584665600

Not a fan of WaPo framing them as "illegal abortion pills."

Edit: man this is a depressing snipe. Here's a picture of my cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Agents are GO! posted:

Not a fan of WaPo framing them as "illegal abortion pills."

Edit: man this is a depressing snipe. Here's a picture of my cat.

Yeah, that short description is a little unclear. They are illegal to distribute by non-pharmacists in the states that banned them

The pills themselves are not illegal versions of abortion pills. Just people who provide abortion pills to people seeking abortions without them having to go to a doctor/pharmacy are distributing them illegally.

Most of the abortion bans were written to not punish the woman in any way, so they don't know what to do when the woman orders them from a website that isn't a registered pharmacy, but they want it to stop and for someone to get punished. They are trying to find ways to block the pills and punish people who distribute them, but not the women who use them.

One of the suggestions is a state law requiring ISPs block websites that sell them. But, they don't have a really good strategy to prevent this. That is why they are going with the crazy route of trying to get states to interfere with the mail. But, so far, none of the states have taken them up on that angle yet.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I was 100% convinced this was a joke until I scrolled down to the next two posts.

This is literally his first major announcement since he launched his campaign on November 15th.

I am genuinely stunned, in the most hilarious way.

This is why it's been so hard to satire Trump. It's just impossible to be more ridiculous.

Hopefully this campaign continues to deliver all the hilarious moments of 2016-2020 and none of the world-endingly horrible ones

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Seems like a great way to launder money and also get it in large quantities potentially outside of the usual campaign donation apparatus, which is already a huge grift.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Cranappleberry posted:

Seems like a great way to launder money and also get it in large quantities potentially outside of the usual campaign donation apparatus, which is already a huge grift.

He already tried NFTs back in March when Parler launched and only sold 384 of 1000 https://www.forbes.com/sites/abrambrown/2022/03/01/parler-launches-nft-marketplace-with-new-trump-nfts/?sh=7ba3fc1113c4 Great businessman, perhaps the greatest businessman.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

We should have known it was going to be some sort of grift. This is the absolute most bonkers timeline - and it all started with Harambe’s assassination.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Honestly this is relatively (RELATIVELY) smart of Trump. Why spend the resources developing an NFT when the only morons who would ever buy one are totally fine with just buying a JPEG instead? The Trump cult happily eats poo poo at every opportunity, why serve them a fancier meal?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

A few more of the designs, if you've got a spare hundred bones laying around:

I honestly thought that second one was somehow a picture of Joe Biden that was slipped in there somehow because of the aviator shades.

I love how he's not smiling in any of these pictures. He's so stern faced and just generally bereft of joy. I want to imagine he, if not posed for all of these drawings, at least face modelled for them, because it's just a more flattering version of his fat head on fictional bodies. So I just want to picture him sitting there, utterly miserable, while they took reference photo after reference photo, getting increasingly more bored with the prospect because he lacks the imagination to picture the finished product in his head as he's doing it, so every picture in the set had a facial expression that looks like he wants to be literally anywhere else right now.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

To the best of my knowledge there's no actual news regarding Fauci or supposed lab leak conspiracy theories; it's likely that some "revelation" has been ginned up entirely in the right wing fringe. I'm not quite sure where to look to seek out what it might be, since a lot of the outlets I've historically used for that purpose are actually (relatively) pro-vax.

edit: Musk has just sort of declared attacks on Fauci and endorsed the conspiracy, and DeSantis recently called for an investigation into him. It's probable that Musk read or heard something to set him off, and DeSantis is just shoveling red meat. I don't have a way to track down what Musk was exposed to.

So do we know what might have set them off besides Fauci's retirement? Like, there wasn't that much discussion of COVID or Fauci around the summer but now it's everywhere on right wing Twitter.

Edit: Also, is there a good explainer about the right's obsession with gain of function research in Wuhan? Some say that "the NIH admitted it!!!" and others say "not so fast."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Thered better be a " Trump as a Tom of Finland leather daddy" in the set

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
MAGAchu, I choose you!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If you buy 45 of them you get a dinner with Trump.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

That's one way to make up with Pence.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Should've gone with a Trump jpeg gacha imo.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
These are all how Trump sees himself when he looks in the mirror.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

His ad read is equally :sad:
https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1603429122516172802

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Non Fungible Trump

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

negativeneil posted:

Honestly this is relatively (RELATIVELY) smart of Trump. Why spend the resources developing an NFT when the only morons who would ever buy one are totally fine with just buying a JPEG instead? The Trump cult happily eats poo poo at every opportunity, why serve them a fancier meal?

Nah according to the website they're NFTs. And he's a bit late to the NFT grift train. e: wow he is struggling with that ad

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 15, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh my god, the subtitles literally struggling to keep up with his alternating rapid/slow speaking style. He just winged that ad read off the top of his head. There are no other better or worse takes, that's the only take they had.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

small butter posted:

So do we know what might have set them off besides Fauci's retirement? Like, there wasn't that much discussion of COVID or Fauci around the summer but now it's everywhere on right wing Twitter.

Edit: Also, is there a good explainer about the right's obsession with gain of function research in Wuhan? Some say that "the NIH admitted it!!!" and others say "not so fast."
DeSantis recently announced his plan to make a federated CDC out of state health agencies with a couple of other chud governors. I believe that's the cause.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/1603077088197623817

CNN out with an interesting framing on the tedious Trump/Biden polling that's somehow both overdone and premature. A few notes:
  • 37% (4% of Dems) see Biden and his policies as too extreme while 63% see him as generally mainstream. Those numbers flip to 68% (45% of Republicans) seeing Trump as too extreme.
  • Only 38% of Republicans want to renominate Trump, compared to 50% in January and 74% in Oct 2018. 40% of Dems want to renominate Biden
  • 53% of Republicans who want a different candidate don't have anyone in mind, 38% say Desantis. On the Dem side, 72% don't have anyone in mind and with Pete (5%), Gavin (4%), and Bernie (4%) leading the way among others.
  • Despite their distaste, 66% of Republicans who don't want Trump say they'd still vote for him as nominee (and we know most of the remaining 33% are lying scum). 78% for Dems who don't want Biden.
  • 52% of Republicans think Trump has had a good effect on the GOP, 15% neutral, 33% bad. For Dems about Biden, it's 53/38/9

Two takeaways:
  1. You're likely to see Biden smoked in polling against Generic Dem and Generic Republican, even moreso than usual for an incumbent. So: put more weight into head to heads
  2. The 33% who say they wouldn't vote for Trump are only out of the half of the party who wants someone else. So: We can infer that approximately half of the Republicans who think Trump is too extreme and has hurt the party will vote for his rear end anyway, if given the chance.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Thered better be a " Trump as a Tom of Finland leather daddy" in the set

Somewhere, a computer running Stable Diffusion whirrs into action

Anyhow whomever said it's going to be impossible to tell which are parodies and which are real is right

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm starting to think Texas was a mistake

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I guess this will answer the question "who is left that's dumb enough to buy NFTs" lol

EDIT wait...

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

They're just pictures, not even NFTs!

Can you clarify, like you're literally just paying money to get like a high res PNG of the image or whatever and there isn't even a token? :laffo:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Beginning to look like Trump Campaign III is more of a collection plate than a candidacy. No, I mean more than the first two did.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

small butter posted:

Elon bought Twitter, and now he's giving all the "hey maybe we should do something about rampant COVID misinfo" email chains and Slack discussions to various washed-up right-wing journalists.

When it comes to the right's obsession with gain-of-function research, there's not really anything to explain. Conspiracy theorists who believe in human-created superviruses being secretly released into the wild are obviously going to fixate on research that involves genetically modifying viruses. And there isn't much point getting into the fine details, because they're all just repeating nonsense they saw being passed around on social media.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm starting to think Texas was a mistake

Evergreen comment

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TGLT posted:

Nah according to the website they're NFTs. And he's a bit late to the NFT grift train. e: wow he is struggling with that ad

Holy poo poo. Someone had to sit down and try to explain NFTs to Trump. Could you imagine what a circular conversation that would have been?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

Holy poo poo. Someone had to sit down and try to explain NFTs to Trump. Could you imagine what a circular conversation that would have been?

"This is a thing that lets dumb people give you money"

"Ok, do it"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

"This is a thing that lets dumb people give you money"

"Ok, do it"

On second thought, nevermind

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Sir Lemming posted:

I am genuinely stunned, in the most hilarious way.

This is why it's been so hard to satire Trump. It's just impossible to be more ridiculous.

Hopefully this campaign continues to deliver all the hilarious moments of 2016-2020 and none of the world-endingly horrible ones

I'm not sure how political satire as a genre even exists in the post-Trump era.

This announcement is just soul crushing darkness.

Trump sucked all the comedy out of the planet's atmosphere like Mega Maid in Spaceballs by going door-to-door and making sure everyone knew that all the jokes were not only real but awkwardly on the nose to the point of pure, unrelenting cringe.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

:siren: :siren: :siren:

In celebration of this early Trump-Mas bounty, we have decided to launch the First Annual D&D Merry Trump-Mas Caption Contest!

Posters can win fabulous prizes for participating!

You can read the full details and send in your submissions in a separate thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019787

A brief summary of the rules and prizes below:

quote:

The Rules:

- Submit a post in this thread with a picture of one of the NFTs and a caption.

- You can edit or photoshop the image.

- You can submit multiple times, but try to keep it to no more than 3 submissions per post.

:siren: Prizes :siren:

1) The three entries that are deemed the funniest will win:

- A free AV change to their submission and caption along with an award.*

* If anyone wants to submit a design for a small award gangtag to go with the AV, then they will get additional prizes if we select it.

The AV will be a special size that is normally only available to mods to make it longer and wider than the forums normally allow!

2) The 4th funniest entry will get:

- A free AV change to their image submission, but with a secret mystery text!

Come spread the seasonal cheer.

Have a merry Trump-Mas.

A Happy Joe-ydays.

A blessed Kamalakkah.

And a Fauci-vus for the rest of us.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 15, 2022

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
This timeline is threatening to collapse into a singularity of stupidity.
Help.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

E: Double posted and somehow beat the 10-second timer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Full OP for caption contest is up! We also went through the Trump NFT collection to pull a bunch of examples and templates for easy use.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019787

Due to an early present for Trump-mas this year, humanity has been blessed with a series of 99 official Donald Trump NFTs.

Check out the explosive announcement video below:

https://twitter.com/Hector_E_Alcala/status/1603438787098546176

You can find a list of most of the 99 NFTs here:

https://collecttrumpcards.com/prizes

A few previews:

In the spirit of giving, D&D is having a caption contest to celebrate this early Trumpmas present. It was said that the NFTs would only last one night, but miraculously, this contest shall last 8 full days until December 24th at 12:01 AM. The winners will be chosen and the prizes distributed afterwards.

The Rules:

- Submit a post in this thread with a picture of one of the NFTs and a caption.

- You can edit or photoshop the image.

- You can submit multiple times, but try to keep it to no more than 3 submissions per post.

:siren: Prizes :siren:

1) The three entries that are deemed the funniest will win:

- A free AV change to their submission and caption along with an award.*

* If anyone wants to submit a design for a small award gangtag to go with the AV, then they will get additional prizes if we select it.

The AV will be a special size that is normally only available to mods to make it longer and wider than the forums normally allow!

2) The 4th funniest entry will get:

- A free AV change to their image submission, but with a secret mystery text!

Legal Disclaimer: These are NFTs, so we must respect their sacredness and know that if you just right click and hit "Save As" to make a glossy .jpeg copy, then you need to remember that is just a worthless digital copy and you do not own the authentic valuable ($99.99 USD) original NFT.

Merry Trump-mas to everyone!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’m dying Leon. I’m not going to say it, but somebody else will put two and two together. It’s very funny.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Lol is "RUMP TOWER" actually on the finished version, I assumed it was just a bad crop

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This timeline is threatening to collapse into a singularity of stupidity.
Help.

I'm not a cosmologist, but I would say, in my uninformed opinion, that that happened around the time mister Trump took his escalator trip way back in 2015.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Elon bought Twitter, and now he's giving all the "hey maybe we should do something about rampant COVID misinfo" email chains and Slack discussions to various washed-up right-wing journalists.

When it comes to the right's obsession with gain-of-function research, there's not really anything to explain. Conspiracy theorists who believe in human-created superviruses being secretly released into the wild are obviously going to fixate on research that involves genetically modifying viruses. And there isn't much point getting into the fine details, because they're all just repeating nonsense they saw being passed around on social media.

Thanks.

What about the idea that Fauci "lied" about the research? From what I can gather, different people and institutions have different definitions of it and Fauci was being honest by using the definition that the NIH uses. (But regardless, COVID wasn't manmade.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

My favourite part is how he toward the end says "NFT" by leaning forward, as if he can't read the teleprompter well.