Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Powered Descent posted:

Which, if you think about it, points up a big difference between present-day society and that of the 23rd/24th century -- famous ship captains. I mean, can YOU name a single real world present day ship captain? Someone who commands a naval vessel today, whether that's a ship of your own country, or of an ally or a rival power? I bet you can't unless you're attached to a military somehow, directly or indirectly.

Brawnfire posted:

If they were discovering poo poo or saving the planet I might care more.

Basically. Even historical captains that are remembered are remembered for their leadership in a great battle or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Powered Descent posted:

Which, if you think about it, points up a big difference between present-day society and that of the 23rd/24th century -- famous ship captains. I mean, can YOU name a single real world present day ship captain? Someone who commands a naval vessel today, whether that's a ship of your own country, or of an ally or a rival power? I bet you can't unless you're attached to a military somehow, directly or indirectly.

Captain James Kirk, commanding USS Zumwalt. :colbert:

Oh.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

Basically. Even historical captains that are remembered are remembered for their leadership in a great battle or something like that.

Magellan is remembered, Captain Cook is remembered (particularly in areas he explored like Oz, NZ, Pacific), etc. Or in Oz, other captains that were important locally like Flinders are well-known names too. Columbus is (sadly) remembered. Etc. The big explorers are definitely known.

We're just no longer in that kind of era, but Star Trek is very much modelled on the Age of Sail.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 14, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Magellan is remembered, Captain Cook is remembered (particularly in Australia), etc.

Yeah, the 22nd/23rd/24th centuries are just an unending Second Age of Exploration. So yeah there'd probably be a fuckton of legendary folks like Magellen, and Marco Polo, and Columbus, Cortez, Captain Cook, Captain Vancouver, and Amerigo Vespucci. Like, sending Jim Kirk to negotiate with someone was like sending in George Vancouver, when he showed up you were like "Oh poo poo."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't know who George Vancouver is but I'm guessing that's kinda like Flinders being locally famous in Oz

but without the kitty cat

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 14, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I don't know who George Vancouver is but I'm guessing that's kinda like Flinders being locally famous in Oz

but without the kitty cat

Vancouver was basically "What if Captain Cook was actually liked by the indigenous populations he encountered and wasn't brutally murdered by them because he was a racist rear end in a top hat."

He was also, as a matter of reference, captain of the namesake of the USS Discovery NCC-1031, the HMS Discovery... one of them, anyway.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 14, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

It’s aerial not naval but what about Capt. “Sully” Sulzberger?

Alternatively Captain Phillips, he’s the captain now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Vancouver was basically "What if Captain Cook was actually liked by the indigenous populations he encountered and wasn't brutally murdered by them because he was a racist rear end in a top hat."

He was also, as a matter of reference, captain of the namesake of the USS Discovery NCC-1031, the HMS Discovery... one of them, anyway.

There's an advanced utility starship of the Parliament class named after him.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Uhura is into Spock because he's a tsundere. Don't hate me for telling the truth.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Prurient Squid posted:

Uhura is into Spock because he's a tsundere. Don't hate me for telling the truth.

Nah, she only likes him for his devil ears and devil eyes.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Fascinating, captain -- I contain both feelings of love and hate for you, but I will deny it if you ever bring it up

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Captain, I have made too much food for my lunch, it would be illogical not to offer it to you, though please be aware that this does not mean I hold positive feelings towards you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Captain, I have made too much food for my lunch, it would be illogical not to offer it to you, though please be aware that this does not mean I hold positive feelings towards you.

what is this, the uss japanese high school

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

As you humans say: baka. Baka baka baka baka. I will now run away.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lot of good episodes on this list

https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1603189177939623937?s=46&t=dwYRVldeIvFvJh1WEleKCA

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I can't help but shiver at TrekCore still, even though I know they cut ties just as quick as we did. Unrelated to the former, RIP Beaumont. Thanks for the great episodes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I still laugh at the Armageddon Game and someone on here pointing out that Keiko starts the whole thing because of O'brien drinking coffee in the afternoon and then O'Brien at the end is like "I drink coffee all drat day long".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I still laugh at the Armageddon Game and someone on here pointing out that Keiko starts the whole thing because of O'brien drinking coffee in the afternoon and then O'Brien at the end is like "I drink coffee all drat day long".

O'Brien drinks coffee all day to escape the pain. Janeway drinks coffee all day to inflict the pain :kheldragar:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Thinking about Babel where O'Brien is overworked and stressed because he has to fix everything on the station and then he gets aphasia. Then at the end of the episode Sisko goes to the replicator and the coffee he gets is bad or something and he turns to O'Brien furious like it's O'Brien's fault. It's pretty mean-spirited on the writers' part. It would have been a good time for O'Brien to say "gently caress it." and walk off the bridge. That's my main goal with watching these multiple Star Trek series is I want to understand and analyze the moments where characters should say "gently caress it" and walk off the bridge.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Hollismason posted:

Absolutely top tier Keiko episode

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

O'Brien has the luck of the Irish. Literally.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Prurient Squid posted:

O'Brien has the luck of the Irish. Literally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCnGD6xv5ik&t=2s

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Charlie X. A teenager goes on a murderous rampage because grown ups told him to wait his turn to speak.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Prurient Squid posted:

Charlie X. A teenager goes on a murderous rampage because grown ups told him to wait his turn to speak.

Kids have shot their parents dead because they were told to stop playing Xbox and go to bed. That's not even "speculative" fiction anymore.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Star Trek continues to predict the future.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Winifred Madgers posted:

I believe it suffered from a writers' strike as well.

Correct. Shatner, Harve Bennett and David Loughery had a story outline completed when the WGA went on strike in March of 1988. The strike didn't end until August of that year, and The Final Frontier needed to begin shooting in the first week of October in order to make its June 1989 release date. So Loughery had a literal month to write the script, and what was shot was essentially his second draft.

Arivia posted:

I think it might be the episode where the kid imprints on Data but Data has a quote that goes something like: “I do not have emotions. I do not feel love, or friendship. But I do grow used to things, and notice their absence. I would miss my friends (the bridge crew) if they were gone.”

This is from loving Nemesis.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

First episode 4 people die. Second episode 400 or so people die. I wonder what senseless waste of human life Kirk will preside over in episode three?

edit:

So when do the Klingons show up. Wait episode 26? Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 15, 2022

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Prurient Squid posted:

What's wrong with your face!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

What's wrong with your face!

The Enterprise is experiencing a Helvetica Scenario.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Has this been posted?

https://twitter.com/mlndmeld/status/1601549565751984128

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, regarding eaglemoss going out of business:

https://twitter.com/BenCSRobinson/status/1602747205709807616

https://twitter.com/BenCSRobinson/status/1602747991407968257

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

nine-gear crow posted:

The Enterprise is experiencing a Helvetica Scenario.

Goddamnit, you beat me to it.

Kirk or someone somehow removed the Queen Atom from the calcium moleucle.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hopefully this means we can get a Cerritos without paying $500

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Send out ISD model kits labeled "Dorritos"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I only need five more ships to complete the original collection. I'm guessing it will be easier just to buy them outright.

Edit: I just checked ebay for the ones I need. Ouch!

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 17, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Its kind of weird that in Starfleet and society its kind of common place to have ancient artifacts if that's your thing. Sisko has them and so does Picard.

Just kind of strange.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Its kind of weird that in Starfleet and society its kind of common place to have ancient artifacts if that's your thing. Sisko has them and so does Picard.

Just kind of strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmsfOUwbf_g

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They don't even have money. Can you just go into a museum or somethng and say "I would like to take this with me".

Oh poo poo

What if that's how it works.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ah, excellent sir. Yes, this is part of our "willing to get it blown up with a spaceship" collection, curated by our master declutterer, pMmari'Kkondo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It's a big galaxy, there's got to be one culture out there that genuinely considers it a great honor to have their cultural artifacts taken away and thrown into danger on a regular basis.