Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
https://imgur.com/a/42miAY9

It's right there dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lincoln posted:

And speaking of Legendaries: I just want to confirm that Ancient SET pieces do NOT affect Legacy of Dreams damage, correct?

Only if a set bonus is active. You can have single set item pieces that are ancient or primal and they will count for Legacy of Dreams.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Settle down.

"While you have no set bonuses equipped, every Legendary item you have equipped increases your damage dealt by 3.75% and reduces your damage taken by 2%...
This bonus is doubled for Ancient Items."

A Set item isn't a Legendary item, it's a Set item. The word "Set" doesn't appear anywhere in the LoD descriptive text. The word "Legendary" doesn't appear anywhere in the item details for a Set item. Are there Ancient Set items? There sure are, but it made sense to assume that 0% doubled is still 0%.

So if Star Man is telling me that Ancient Set items DO trigger LoD, then the in-game descriptive text for LoD is incomplete, hence my confusion.

I want to thank all of you for your time.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Set items are legendary items.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

ARPG dudes: Is wolcen worth $15? It's dropped for the next week or so it looks like. Lowest I've seen it. I know it wasn't great at release and was super buggy but not sure if it has improved enough to be worth checking out...?

https://www.gamersgate.com/product/wolcen-lords-of-mayhem/

I don't know about the bugs, but does the game world ever get interesting to play?

I've tried to power through a couple of time, but going from a forced tutorial waste of time straight into ugly tunnel mazes just kills my interest to keep playing.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
if you wanted the easier answer on whether set items count as legendaries you could just look at the no-six-piece-set leaderboards (or just the monk leaderboard) to see almost all the LOD builds use Blackthorne's pants.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

if you wanted the easier answer on whether set items count as legendaries you could just look at the no-six-piece-set leaderboards (or just the monk leaderboard) to see almost all the LOD builds use Blackthorne's pants.
They're not all the same criteria: The Thrill conquest, LoD, and the No Six Piece Set leaderboard have different requirements (no set items, no set bonuses, no 6p set bonuses respectively).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Incoherence posted:

They're not all the same criteria: The Thrill conquest, LoD, and the No Six Piece Set leaderboard have different requirements (no set items, no set bonuses, no 6p set bonuses respectively).

Legacy of Dreams and no six piece set are the same category. Builds for The Thrill when it is a conquest are not saved on the conquests leaderboard. Someone with a paragon level under five hundred this deep into the season also probably isn't aware of the leaderboards saving builds or just doesn't care.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Vakal posted:

I don't know about the bugs, but does the game world ever get interesting to play?

I've tried to power through a couple of time, but going from a forced tutorial waste of time straight into ugly tunnel mazes just kills my interest to keep playing.

No, Wolcen stays bland to the bitter end.

It still could easily be worth $15 to a Diablo fan who will be happy with a playthrough to see what it's like, though. There are plenty of duller, jankier ARPGs out there, just not many that once had as much hype as Wolcen did.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Blizzard continues to be a poo poo company. There's no way Diablo 4 should be released in June. I was part of recent closed beta and I noticed a TON of poo poo that is plain broken and needs work. Plus the game is pretty boring imho.

Pushing the devs to once again deal with crunch is unacceptable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/12/08/diablo-iv-release-date-crunch/

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 9, 2022

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
It's going to be the worst launch of a diablo game, and that's really saying something given 2 and then 3.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Going by how DI went I'm sure it will be an enormous financial success.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Swilo posted:

It's going to be the worst launch of a diablo game, and that's really saying something given 2 and then 3.
2 was kinda 50:50 on launch, absolutely amazing game but battlenet itself collapsed under the sheer popularity of the title & d2 has always been a buggy game

3's launch was a disaster on every front except all the money it printed. It had no single player so unlike d2 you couldn't even play the game while the servers burst into flames.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Khorne posted:

3's launch was a disaster on every front except all the money it printed.

And this why they won't give a poo poo about releasing an unfinished game again - there are no consequences and it will make a billion dollars.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

quote:

eventually you’ll get to the point where you have a level 90 Barbarian and instead of completely changing my build it’s better to just roll a new Barbarian and start again.

Yuck.

Jows
May 8, 2002

What is that quote from and why is that the case?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
In regards to respec costs. They keep going up as you get higher level.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Might just play d3 for another 10 years. :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

bamhand posted:

In regards to respec costs. They keep going up as you get higher level.

Watching those interviews was so weird because they were clearly trying to walk on eggshells. It's like they just went back and forth internally trying to figure out an option that would make sense in a modern game but also somehow appease people who believe perfection was invented in 2000.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

$20 Diablo II and III for Nintendo Switch(eshop)

Diablo 2 alone is like 14 if you already have 3

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RodShaft posted:

My wallet cries. But this is a hell of a deal.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Started playing D3 again on Switch and I'm bummed that I don't click with Necro.

I'm all about pet/minion classes and Witch Doctor seems to be much better at it.

Also, I went through the trouble of getting Hellfire items for a new Barbarian and lololol I am just melting everything on T1.

edit: WOW, D2 feel much clunkier to play than I remember!

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 15, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RodShaft posted:

I bit on this one.

I have literally never played a diablo ever, just bought it on its reputation. Is there a reason to start with 2 over 3? Anything I should know before I jump in?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
2 vs 3 are very different games. I would say objectively, 3 is a much better game and 2 is actually quite bad by modern standards.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

They are very different games but I like them both. D3 is significantly kinder to new players with easier respeccing, simpler itemization, etc. But I wouldn't worry about trying to go in with any game knowledge, just have fun and do whatever and when you hit a wall, ask for help. D2 especially has a ton of obtuse systems to optimize but I think that would be overwhelming and unfun if you're brand new.

Both stories are disposable so that shouldn't be factor either.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OK, well as someone who knows nothing about it, it sounds like 3 would be the easier entry into the series

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
On the other hand, you could play through 2 and then have more of an appreciation for how much less 3 hates the player. (Note that D2 has three difficulty settings that you're intended to play through one after another with the same character: if you just play through Normal you won't get the full bullshit experience.)

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
The experience of playing through normal/nightmare/hell in d2 is more interesting than playing through the story/leveling to 70 in d3, but once you get past that d2 feels like it's much more restrictive in terms of what characters/builds are enjoyable and useful.

e: also you probably shouldn't make sorceress your first playthrough in d2 unless you want to hate every other class for not having easy/cheap access to teleport

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Are these also your first ARPGs?

The campaign story for D3 is at its best a direct to VHS z-tier action/horror movie, just absolute dogshit. But the game mechanics are fun and like others have said, the friction to Just Playing is low and forgiving.

D2 has a better campaign story (that I still don't care about) but it's game mechanics are solidly rooted in the era it came out and there is just tons of small bullshit quality of life problems when viewed in a modern lens. But the overall game mechanics are fun if you can get past the sticky bits.

If you're new to the genre I'd say 3 then 2, not new then do 2 to 3.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

The experience of playing through normal/nightmare/hell in d2 is more interesting than playing through the story/leveling to 70 in d3, but once you get past that d2 feels like it's much more restrictive in terms of what characters/builds are enjoyable and useful.
Even Hell is going to cause problems if you don't construct something resembling an Actual Build. I guess this is less of an issue with respecs than it was 20 years ago, since you can just respec into something that won't get immediately walled in Hell Act 1.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just play Necro and make your skellybois do all the work.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

OK, well as someone who knows nothing about it, it sounds like 3 would be the easier entry into the series
Correct and it's not even close, II is an old game with old difficulty. There are still brick-wall type obstructions you can encounter like lightning/physical immune creatures and if your build focuses purely on one or both of those, you're out of luck. Bosses like Duriel can be crippling punishing and may absolutely require help to beat. Also II is a game where certain areas require you to quaff potions like crazy and you're managing an older inventory system to do it. I played it for hundreds of hours back in the hayday and I bought resurrected and just couldn't get back into it. My glasses were far too rose-colored. The quality of life between the two is the size of an ocean.

Diablo III is easy. I mean, it has a difficulty slider so you can do what you want with it, but it's an easy game to progress from beginning to end. You start on hard, get yourself to 70 without any problems, and not requiring any help. Play through the story once to unlock adventure mode and ignore it forever after that. Level up, and start the end game meta-progression, which isn't really a thing in DII. Plus DIII is still running seasons, and still offering fresh content. DIII was a bad game at release, but as soon as they ditched the RMAH and got the new game director who understood that games should be fun, they've done nothing but wonderful things with it. I am really hoping DIV is at least just DIII with a mask on.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I bit on this one.

I have literally never played a diablo ever, just bought it on its reputation. Is there a reason to start with 2 over 3? Anything I should know before I jump in?

Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 are different enough that you can't/shouldn't treat them as a continuation from one to the other these days, and there's practically no foreknowledge needed from 2 to get into 3.

I could go on and on about how Diablo 2 isn't really that difficult nowadays and there's a rather comfortable on-ramp with some bowling bumpers to prevent you from screwing yourself over permanently and once you get started there's a ton of depth to the game... but this is the Diablo 3 thread so I will say that 3 is definitely the easier and more intuitive game to get into and you can dive right in just playing the campaign on Normal difficulty and you'll be just fine.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Jelly posted:

Plus DIII is still running seasons, and still offering fresh content.

lol

Seriously though, there hasn't been a peep about a new season or PTR yet and the 3-4 month cycle is up. There's going to be some holiday event this month prior to January's usual Darkening of Tristram event, more details about that should be going up on the blog tomorrow as per...

Jelly posted:

I am really hoping DIV is at least just DIII with a mask on.

They ran a developer update and mini-Q&A on twitch earlier today and I'm very optimistic the game will be playably good on launch. There's no taint of "and then we doubled it!" this time around, just a team that seems to understand Diablo.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Jelly posted:

DIII was a bad game at release, but as soon as they ditched the RMAH and got the new game director who understood that games should be fun, they've done nothing but wonderful things with it. I am really hoping DIV is at least just DIII with a mask on.

In kind of diving back into internet discourse on Diablo (and mostly hearing the same bullshit as 2012) I'm always confused how vanilla was the released product. I remember seeing an interview with Wilson describing the removal of stat/skill points and thinking "holy poo poo someone in the industry who understands how these games are played". That part was, and remains, good but the rest... jesus.

As long as I can SSF in D4 like I can in D3, we're good.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
jay wilson was awful not just for the game he released but also for being completely immune to feedback

i don't have high hopes for d4 on launch, but hopefully they won't be outright antagonistic towards constructive feedback

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Swilo posted:

They ran a developer update and mini-Q&A on twitch earlier today and I'm very optimistic the game will be playably good on launch. There's no taint of "and then we doubled it!" this time around, just a team that seems to understand Diablo.

Hate to be a debbie downer but I would not get my hopes up on launch D4. I was part of the closed beta and there are many issues with the game that I am not optimistic they will iron out in just 6 months. There's an article I posted earlier in the thread that details the crunch the D4 team will have to do. In addition to that, the game just wasn't engaging. I was pretty bored after running the copy & paste dungeons over and over again.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I have played D3 since launch, I play and complete every season (on PC and Switch), I have D2R and enjoy it.

And I made it to maybe level 20 in the beta? It was so slow to load (sometimes took 5+ minutes to get into the game, sometimes took 2 to 3 minutes to get back to my desktop after quitting) that playing it meant I had to have a decent chunk of time to set aside to play. And then when I did get in, I just found it very slow and not very engaging.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

MrMidnight posted:

Hate to be a debbie downer but I would not get my hopes up on launch D4. I was part of the closed beta and there are many issues with the game that I am not optimistic they will iron out in just 6 months. There's an article I posted earlier in the thread that details the crunch the D4 team will have to do. In addition to that, the game just wasn't engaging. I was pretty bored after running the copy & paste dungeons over and over again.

That article is loving dire and I don't understand how people can still be optimistic, at the end of 2022, that companies will be able to pull from terminal velocity. Yes it can happen but it's an event that should catch you off guard and surprise you, not something you should be thinking could actually realistically happen. Everyone making important decisions about the game is driven by profit motive more than anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You don't even need to have industry insider status to know that Diablo 4 is a timid and unfocused project with no identity of its own, you just simply need to look at anything related to Diablo 4. The fact that an entire closed beta came and went with zero hype generated is telling on its own.