Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

bunnyofdoom posted:

This got spoiled for me in a BFG2 stream but did Yarrick get ganked by loving Angron? is this gonna lead to Ghazkull killing a loving Primarch?

Maybe! Unconfirmed. Also, we all hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I can't wait for Armageddon 4: The Re-armageddoning. It's always been my favorite part of 40k.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

S.J. posted:

I can't wait for Armageddon 4: The Re-armageddoning. It's always been my favorite part of 40k.

It's the Koom Valley of 40k and I love it so. The tyranids need to get in there. The Ork-spawn biomass alone should be attractive.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

S.J. posted:

I think that's just a fan theory that's been going around that a bunch of people picked up on. I feel like that would be the lamest thing ever if they actually wrote that out.

There would be nothing lame about a battle with Angron and the World Eaters being interrupted as an Orc Moon plummets out of the sky and turns the battle into a 3 way war between the Imperium, Chaos, and the largest Orc WAAAGH since the War of the Beast.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Flytrap posted:

There would be nothing lame about a battle with Angron and the World Eaters being interrupted as an Orc Moon plummets out of the sky and turns the battle into a 3 way war between the Imperium, Chaos, and the largest Orc WAAAGH since the War of the Beast.

That's literally going to happen anyways though, that's not what I was talking about

OPAONI posted:

It's the Koom Valley of 40k and I love it so. The tyranids need to get in there. The Ork-spawn biomass alone should be attractive.

Sorry but you have to be either a heel or a face to show up to this cage match and the Tyranids do not have enough personality for that

S.J. fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 14, 2022

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/11/15/warhammer-community-investigates-could-commissar-yarrick-actually-be-dead/

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

https://youtu.be/8TiqiOexD-8

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A very seasonal pro-click.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope they eventually get back to that whole pariah nexus plot point, that sounded cool

There were just some updates to it in two recent White Dwarf issues. You can read a summary of them here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShaskaisWarhamBits/comments/yd66mi/lore_update_on_the_pariah_nexuswarzone_nephilimwd/

Sounds like we might be getting Girlyman vs the Silent King which I very much hope happens.

One thing I have found is that a lot of lore updates get put out in parts of the tabletop stuff I don't pay much attention to. The redditor who wrote the above actually wrote it in his own personal subreddit where all he does is post summaries of recent lore that comes out in BL books, codexs, white dwarf, etc. It's a good place to check every once in a while to catch things you might otherwise miss. Definitely worth a subscribe.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

S.J. posted:

I think that's just a fan theory that's been going around that a bunch of people picked up on. I feel like that would be the lamest thing ever if they actually wrote that out.

https://twitter.com/RulerOfHumanity/status/1602577171461148679?s=20&t=GTxoBwMnexVE8E9-ZNd-Cw

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Funnily enough, the community article mentions both Angron and Trazyn as possibilities of what happened. Which probably means we will never get an answer and it will just be one of those lore mysteries going forward.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure it was Valrak who started the whole "Angron killed Yarrick" thing now that I think about it. :v:

D-Pad posted:

No, August was the release of the limited mega edition. There is still no hardback or paperback out, it's extremely rare that BL releases a limited edition and doesn't release a regular hardback (or sometimes paperback) within 2 months of the limited release. Based on Mike's tweet they still haven't even talked to him about any regular release and it isn't up on any of the coming soon stuff they have which is already into Spring. It's just weird. The only explanation I can think of is they want to coincide with an ork tabletop release.

I'll admit I forgot that quibble.

At which point I'm going to chalk it up to the book underperforming in sales, as I remember it was still available for a week or two after released. Remember Brooks promoting the fact that there were copies left at one point.
I'm definitely wrong on this, but it felt like the one limited edition sale that didn't seem to instantly get sold out.

I really can't come up with any major upcoming ork release, their codex has been out for three months now. Pretty sure the mega edition was the tie-in release for that.
At most I can speculate that the fourth Ark of Omen book might be about Ghaz since its confirmed about to be about Xenos. But no way of telling right now.

This weeks Black Library update is more details about Wrath of The Lost by Chris Forrester that got announced a couple of months back.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/14/what-horrors-await-the-flesh-tearers-on-their-home-planet-find-out-in-their-new-novel/

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Chris Forrester good? New author?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

New yes, but no idea about quality as his track record so far is only a couple of shorter stories.

Postulant in the Cthonia's Reckoning anthology.
Bloodhowl
Mortifactors: Legacy of Posul in The Successors Anthology

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Fuuuuuuuck yes

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Hopefully it goes better for him than the Witcher where he ended up butting heads with the production over the source material.

I would watch a show that was just Cavs sitting there chatting to the camera while he builds and paints miniatures though, tbh.

PunishedEnzoMatrix fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 16, 2022

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
This person got their mind demolished by Ian Watson's verbiage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/writing/comments/zmoo0n/do_i_have_to_use_fancy_words_every_other_sentence/

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

PunishedEnzoMatrix posted:

Hopefully it goes better for him than the Witcher where he ended up butting heads with the production over the source material.

I would watch a show that was just Cavs sitting there chatting to the camera while he builds and paints miniatures though, tbh.

It's entirely within character for GW to basically be super anal about their lore so it's possible he won't even have to do it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not so hung up on lore as I am on presentation. Grand opulence, starship troopers satire, horror, Astartes esque tacticool, dead serious?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm not so hung up on lore as I am on presentation. Grand opulence, starship troopers satire, horror, Astartes esque tacticool, dead serious?

Paul Verhoeven absolutely needs to be the director on a 40k movie

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

D-Pad posted:

Not exactly.

Emp's original plan was for all of humanity to go into the human webway, or at the very least he wasn't going to leave any alive in real space, to allow humanity to evolve into its psychic potential safe from chaos and to also starve chaos/greatly reduce its power due to lack of humans in real space. This was why he couldn't leave any human planet alone during the great crusade. So chaos wasn't going to burn itself out like the cabal proposed but slowly starve to death. I assume the new plan (if it is real) is to do the same except since the webway is forever ruined, Valdor is creating a pocket of null space within the warp for humanity to occupy and evolve in. One could assume that as chaos weakens due to lack of access to humans it would also become easier to expand that pocket of calmness in the warp. Again, starving the chaos gods to death instead of allowing them to run wild and burn themselves out.

Of course, I am not sure it's possible to entirely starve them to death as we know there are alien races aligned or capable of feeding chaos, however they are much smaller so it should be possible to kill the chaos gods once their power was orders of magnitude less after only having access to the dregs of whatever chaos sensitive races are left in the universe. The galaxy would be left for the orks and tyranids to fight over and potentially end themselves in the fighting leaving a pristine galaxy for humanity to return to far in the future. I dunno, the exact details are unclear but it does seem to me like the City of Dust could easily serve a similar purpose to the original human webway and if the Yellow King is really Valdor that makes a lot of sense to me

This is cool in a certain way because it mirrors Age of Sigmar and I think unofficially at least there should be a cosmic balance between the two Warhams

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I mean, he's gonna be the Executive Producer..

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

S.J. posted:

You know who absolutely nailed the high-scociety end of the 40K aesthetic? The Wachowskis on Jupiter Ascending

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
too bad about the rest of that movie being absolute dog poo poo, especially the leads lol

generally, ip spinoffs exist to reduce risk in creating shows, but the actual money gets made in the merch. it has almost certainly not escaped gw that they are in a really great position for merch, given that their main thing is sellin figurines in the first place. so i wouldn't be surprised if there were 5-10 figures from the thingy. if it really is eisenhorn, maybe his entire warband or both his and ravenor's warband (eisenhorn himself has a fig but not bequin, ravenor, nayl, either betancore, cherubael, etc etc). but the ip risk is really nontrivial, there's been no guarantee of quality in 40k spinoffs and no guarantee of audience from 40k nerds for a 40k show, some of the video games have been really dire wrt derisking and guaranteeing audience.

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 16, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Official announcement. The Henry Cavill cinematic universe featuring Warhammer.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/16/warhammer-starring-henry-cavill/

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

This is the greatest day in the history of Warhammer.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oh yeah, didnt production loving hate the books and the games and other stupid poo poo, hence why the art style/scenery/costumes looked like utter loving donkey dick.

Arc Hammer posted:

i hope its guard/non astartes focused, like i dont mind space marines in it, i just want it to be an "oh poo poo, now stuff is REAL" moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_HljUo8Jjk

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

This is the greatest day in the history of Warhammer.

I wouldn't go that far yet, we have no idea what they're going to do.

But we should at least take solace that Netflix isn't involved with this.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh yeah, didnt production loving hate the books and the games and other stupid poo poo, hence why the art style/scenery/costumes looked like utter loving donkey dick.

The part I heard was that the writers mocked the source material. And Cavill most likely having to fight them for how things were done.
The scenery and costume looking like rear end was most likely them having only six months (or less) of pre production.
Spotted a really interesting tumblr post that brings it up in the way of the wigs used in the LOTR movies:

https://gaysolavellan.tumblr.com/post/703692321909260288/cant-believe-that-lord-of-the-rings-released-20

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 16, 2022

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

S.J. posted:

For those who hadn't seen this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Grimdank/comments/zayzar/stolen_asked_an_ai_to_show_me_a_wh40k_movie_by/

A few more:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Grimdank/comments/zayzar/stolen_asked_an_ai_to_show_me_a_wh40k_movie_by/iyy8phv/

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Arc Hammer posted:

The world doesn't deserve Henry Cavill. I wonder whether they'll be adapting books or do an original story.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I'm hoping for Eisenhorn.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Zil posted:

I'm hoping for Eisenhorn.

They did previously announce a specific prod co to be developing an Eiesenhorn show a few years ago. Not with as much fanfare as here though. That could have died a death at development stage, although it was a company that had made Man in The High Castle for Amazon so they could still be involved.

The licensing of the entire 40k IP seems like the bigger news here, that wasn't in the previous tv show announcement.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Didn't an Eisenhorn project get swallowed up by covid? I forget who was bankrolled it but the Man in the High Castle people were going to. E in charge of production.

If Eisenhorn is free Cavill would do a good job with it. Any of the famous inquisitors, commissary, or guard leaders would work too. I agree that space marines should be used as an oh poo poo moment and not the lead.

And if it all goes well he can finally play Valador.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

A Commodus Voke series please. Thanks Henry.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

A Commodus Voke series please. Thanks Henry.

I don't know of anyone crotchety enough to play Voke.

Zil fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 16, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i could think of:

1. eisenhorn
2. ravenor
3. gaunt's ghost
4. heresy
5. BA poo poo, dante, mephiston
6. dawn of fire poo poo
7. comedy option 1: cain
8. comedy option 2: crons

as ideas for a first nontrivial show. basically, you could swing around abnett's big writing-ips-for-movies dick mainly. "oohoo, this could be the next guardians of the galaxy! except pessimistic! and with skulls on everything! and what's a servitor?"

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 16, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Commissar Holt.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

So, some of the brains behind IT and The Lego Movie are in it. That seems good.

Also, Cavill is doing a reboot of the Highlander? Sounds interesting.

Best guess though is it's gonna be a Guard series, as a way to explain the different crazy bits involved. Either that or Inquisition to provide the vehicle by which they can explain different aliens and equipment.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Zil posted:

I don't know of anyone crotchety enough to play Voke.

Dominic Chianese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Dominic Chianese

I stand corrected, that would work. He would work really well.