Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Larry Cum Free posted:

That made me laugh harder than anything in this thread in months.

e: not the story, which is sad, the I'm a scientist and she works for a company (can I make it any more obvious)

I've learned from the movies that scientists work at home in oversized garages building time machines
into Deloreans, she just works at some drab corporate job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Larry Cum Free posted:

e: not the story, which is sad, the I'm a scientist and she works for a company (can I make it any more obvious)

🎶He did science, she worked at a company, could I make it any more obvious?🎶

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
What if a scientist worked for a company

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mutantIke posted:

What if a scientist worked for a company

They lose their scientist powers.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Larry Cum Free posted:

This one got me too. It sounds like the way a little kid would explain the characters in a movie that they don't really understand. "He's a scientist and she works for a company."

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

teen witch posted:

Hi everyone
If you want a thread title change that badly, under no circumstances are you to use the report function. The gently caress is wrong with you

Hi other mods and those who can change thread titles that isn’t myself or PCIX,
don’t loving entertain that poo poo, loving talk to us if it’s so desperately needed

Get bent,
teen witch

PS - y’all know we change titles from the original posts, and from none of your comments. Don’t ask.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

From our side, because we have two (admittedly good) IKs for this thread, we tend to let them oversee it. If they want to run the thread titles the way they're doing it, it's fine. But it does lead to situations where mods like me Kramer in without knowing the culture of the thread and do things like change the title and such.

So yeah, for thread title changes ask them. However, if you do see a rule violation, report it because then we can discuss with the IKs what to do about it.

Anyway, back to your thread

okay so, can one of y'all change the thread title back to the thong one, then? that one was funny

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Who the gently caress asked you to play the piano?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for kicking a guy out for peeing in my shower? When he was expecting me to come in with him?

This is why I spray down the shower stall with cleaner before every shower I take. I do not trust my roommates. One of them already misses the toilet on a regular basis, who knows how low his standards are?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Toss them into an attic your partner will definitely never go into.

Alternate answer:

AITA for flicking my boogers

quote:

Obviously this is hilarious
r/relationships: Obviously this is hilarious

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

If using the report function to request title changes is standard across other threads, why not just adopt it for this thread or discuss it with the mods or something? Weird as hell seeing an IK/mod fight in a popular thread. From what I understand, IKing a thread is supposed to be tolerable if not enjoyable. If it was just constantly making me mad, I'd take a break.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I assume that what happened is that in this case, someone who meant well but wasn't aware of the existing thread title change rules made a report as would be done in another thread--but because it was specifically changed to one an IK would not have approved, it looked like someone trying to go over their heads to get their way. I think they stick to in-thread requests and PMs because not every modmin who sees a report can be expected to be aware of the 'only from the original stories' thread title rule (which was a whole messy derail of its own iirc).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s all over now. And the tears were delicious.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

bell jar posted:

Weird as hell seeing an IK/mod fight in a popular thread.

The discord is worse. I have tasted Seth’s blood.

Everett False posted:

I assume that what happened is that in this case, someone who meant well but wasn't aware of the existing thread title change rules made a report as would be done in another thread--but because it was specifically changed to one an IK would not have approved, it looked like someone trying to go over their heads to get their way. I think they stick to in-thread requests and PMs because not every modmin who sees a report can be expected to be aware of the 'only from the original stories' thread title rule (which was a whole messy derail of its own iirc).

Also neither I nor Pope Corky the IX see reports. IKs don’t see reports. I am going to get that tattooed onto me at this point.

Underneath that, it’ll be a sick grim reaper with a banner “just PM us, it’s easier”

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

mllaneza posted:

I've heard stories from multiple people about being in high-level physics classes at UC Berkeley where the professor came in and passed out new chapters in the textbook based on his latest research.

Pages back but this was my experience as well.

I even had a thermodynamics professor come in with stacks of Manila folders with loose sheets of unbound copies of his draft.

We all got bonus points if we caught a typo or bad grammar that no one else caught. I am pretty sure this is the only A I ever got at Cal.

Pretty sure it was the only textbook I read practically cover to cover as well.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for demanding an apology from my boyfriend for not sending *pictures* as frequently as he wants?

quote:

I (21f) have been with my boyfriend (24m) for about a year now.

we live about 40-45 mins away from each other and see each other usually once a week and every other weekend he'll come stay over at my house.

It comes with no surprise that he enjoys me sending him spicy pictures of myself. And I didn't mind doing this at first, as I know that he enjoys these pictures. But his attitude towards the pictures and how frequently I should send them has began to rub me the wrong way.

We had gotten into a fight over this a few days ago as we hadn't seen each other in about a week and he asked me to send him some spicy pictures because he missed me. I sent him a few, and then that was the end of that. The next day he brought the topic up again asking if I can send him more later on that day.

I grew annoyed and asked him why he was asking me for pictures like this again when I had just sent some to him yesterday. He told me that "I wouldn't have remembered to send him any if he didn't say anything" and that "he shouldn't even have to ask I should just be sending them to him since I know that he enjoys them". He then proceeded to say that he's "all about me and I'm his girlfriend, so doesn't it make sense for him to see a pic like that more than once a day?"

I was completely taken back by his behavior because although I understand that I am sending him these pictures at the most once a week, it's not something that I'm going to be doing everyday like wtf? I called him out on the way he was acting and he got upset at ME saying that he's just "telling me how it is and telling me how he feels, and that I'm not taking how he's feeling into consideration". I demanded that he apologizes to me for the way that he was speaking to me and treating me. He feels that he doesn't need to apologize and that he's just "telling me how it is".

He still stands behind the fact that he feels embarrassed that he has to even ask for pictures like this, considering I know that he enjoys them. He did end up apologizing but still stands by how he feels. The whole situation just completely rubbed me the wrong way.

AITA?

he's selling these pics isn't he

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for demanding an apology from my boyfriend for not sending *pictures* as frequently as he wants?

Realistically what would they be worth? I'm more inclined he's showing them to his buddies.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

deety posted:

This one got me too. It sounds like the way a little kid would explain the characters in a movie that they don't really understand. "He's a scientist and she works for a company."

I read it as he doesn't want to say the name of her company, nor give her position. Or, he doesn't fully understand her corporate position/title nor her job responsibilities, and has simplified it in his head as "she works doing high powered corporate stuff in an office".

As for the situation, Jeez that sucks for everyone involved and the parents are Grade A arseholes. It's one thing to say to your son "Don't marry that girl, (because she has different coloured skin to us)". That would be bad enough. But to do the work to find the fiancee's work email, and set up fake accounts to send her racist abuse is an entirely different level. Sucks that the OP had to find out his parents are petty vindictive racists like this, but hopefully he will be better off without them in his life. Sucks also for the fiancee, who is dealing with a difficult work time, unwarranted racist abuse, and she also has to deal with potentially losing her fiance, (who seems like a decent enough person).

Edit: Re-read the post. They are not even engaged. The OP's parents are hosed up enough to go to all this trouble because he is dating someone whose race they disapprove of.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Women give up their nudes way too drat easily, especially to the lovely entitled creeps they always seem to end up dating.

Make him WORK for them, honey.

Know. Your. Value.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

quantumwell posted:

Realistically what would they be worth? I'm more inclined he's showing them to his buddies.

I vote he's using them to catfish someone else.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

wheatpuppy posted:

I vote he's using them to catfish someone else.

My money is on an OnlyFans using her pics.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please, hes using the photos to upload into a machine that demands fresh hot nudes at random intervals or it blows up the world

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Women give up their nudes way too drat easily, especially to the lovely entitled creeps they always seem to end up dating.

Make him WORK for them, honey.

Know. Your. Value.

I quite enjoy sending surprise nudes on occasion, but the second someone asks for them, I become disinclined. It’s a gift, not an obligation.

E: obviously only to people who I’m involved with who have already seen my junk. I’m not sending unwanted flap snaps to people I’ve just met or anything.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

don longjohns posted:

I'm mostly just posting it because of the way this human spells "extra"
Given the spelling and the use of a communal laundry room, I would guess that the OP is Norwegian or Danish.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Foo Diddley posted:

just had some evil idea run through my head where some fucker dates a bunch of girls and makes an only fans to post the pics on and pretend to be that person. gonna go cry over my brain being evil and broken

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Could someone please link that Twitter thread about a woman whose date used a "Buy One Get One Free" coupon to make her pay for the admission to the zoo?

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

kissekatt posted:

Given the spelling and the use of a communal laundry room, I would guess that the OP is Norwegian or Danish.

Yes most likely. I feel bad because I wasn't even thinking of it as making fun of them, I just thought the spelling was funny.

I also thought the girlfriend was being weirdly controlling about laundry baskets, of all things.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Chamale posted:

Could someone please link that Twitter thread about a woman whose date used a "Buy One Get One Free" coupon to make her pay for the admission to the zoo?

https://twitter.com/ElenaBjxrn/status/1602640640197664770

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Shithouse Dave posted:

obviously only to people who I’m involved with who have already seen my junk. I’m not sending unwanted flap snaps to people I’ve just met or anything.

"Flap snaps." Excellent phrase.

quote:

Dear Prudence,

I’m not sure what to do. My daughter divorced last year after four years of marriage. I was caught off guard. In that four years, I saw her yelling loudly at her husband, in our company, and he did not ever seem combative in return. Looking back, I can see some of the issues, but we (her father and I) were surprised the day she told us he was moving out. On that day, she told me to never mention his name again and never ask about the divorce. I have abided by both of those requests and many other mandates she has issued to me in the ensuing year. I seem to have become Enemy No. 1. Our relationship has deteriorated horribly. She is now engaged and living with another fellow. I’m constantly being told what her boundaries are and being issued ultimatums to obey or she will have nothing more to do with me. She has refused to go to counseling with me.

Today she found out I had “liked” a Facebook post of her ex-husband about his new relationship with his new girlfriend. (In no way have I hidden I was still his friend on FB, etc.) Once again, she came after me, demanding I unfriend him. “It’s him or me” were her exact words. I unfriended him. But at this point, I am exhausted from her demands, or really, just the disrespectful way she gives them to me. I do not talk to her ex or have any relationship with him. I have no idea why they divorced or any specific issues, as that was part of her first set of demands she laid down. Is it really so awful to remain FB friends with an ex of one of your children? She has told me, angrily, I should know that and am intentionally disrespecting her. I contend they were eager for us to develop a bond with this person when they first introduced us. We did as we came get to know them. They had time to realize the relationship was going to end. We did not. And were never privy to any reasons why.

— I Can’t Get it Right

Dear I Can’t Get it Right,

Walk me through the moment when you were scrolling through your social media feed and saw that your daughter’s ex, who she clearly feels angry at and sensitive about, had a new girlfriend. When you lifted your finger to hit a button that would let everyone (including your daughter!) know that you wanted to communicate your support and approval of the new relationship … what was going through your head? What did you hope would happen? How did you hope she would feel when she saw it? I don’t know, maybe that’s not a fair question—after all, I wouldn’t want to have to answer “What were you hoping to accomplish?” with every dumb tweet or Instagram story. But I do think it’s at least worth exploring. Did you think about your daughter’s feelings? Did you think about them and decide they didn’t matter? If so, what did you base that on?

It’s not that it was “so awful” to remain friends with him or to continue to interact with him. I just wonder why you wanted to, and how that thinking connects to how you might have treated your daughter in the past. Hear me out: Every letter I receive is written from the perspective of one person, and is likely missing information that could make them look like the bad guy. But here, the missing information is kind of jumping off the page. I suspect that for some reason, based on your past behavior, your daughter didn’t feel comfortable telling you about the issues in her marriage. I suspect you might have hurt her feelings in similar situations in the past, or just been generally judgmental. I suspect that she worries that you might have blamed her for the divorce or even taken her ex’s side. These are the sorts of patterns that generally push people to erect the “boundaries” and issue the “ultimatums” with family members that you find so grating. Of course, I could be completely wrong. Maybe she’s totally unreasonable and was the bad guy in her marriage. But your level of concern over your “bond” with the ex—as if he’s on equal footing with the woman you raised when it comes to your loyalty—makes me wonder whether you’re not as clueless as you claim to be about why she’s behaving the way she is right now. Give it some thought.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My ex-wife’s family can’t stand her and I talk to them on FB all the time.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Weird formatting is the OP's

AITA for taking an Uber to a wedding so I wouldn't be late?

quote:

My sister got married last weekend. I flew into town and my parents insisted that I stay with them instead of a hotel like I wanted.

My parents are consistently late for everything. I think it's a Latin thing. I hate being late. I think it's disrespectful.

The wedding was at 2:30. My folks live about half an hour from the church.

Noon rolls up and my folks aren't even getting ready yet.

They are adults and I am over dealing with them.

I get ready. I send for an Uber and I am at the church for 2:00.

I check in with my sister. She asks me if I had any problems getting my parents to church. I told her that I came by myself. Shebw my white and said that I was responsible for getting them there on time.

Well nobody asked me to do that. I didn't even want to stay there.

So now everyone starts calling my parents. They are getting ready.

They were about 35 minutes late.

The service was shortened because there was another wedding later that day.

Everyone is still mad at me for not getting my parents there on time. My aunt said that I'm an rear end in a top hat for messing up the timing of the wedding.

My mom says it's my fault for not reminding them to get ready.

Am I the only one who thinks adults should be able to be on time for their own kid's wedding without help?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for taking an Uber to a wedding so I wouldn't be late?

quote:

My mom says it's my fault for not reminding them to get ready.

You're the parent now!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
My mother was 45 minutes late to my wedding, we started on time anyway.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

teen witch posted:

Hi everyone
If you want a thread title change that badly, under no circumstances are you to use the report function. The gently caress is wrong with you

Hi other mods and those who can change thread titles that isn’t myself or PCIX,
don’t loving entertain that poo poo, loving talk to us if it’s so desperately needed

Get bent,
teen witch

PS - y’all know we change titles from the original posts, and from none of your comments. Don’t ask.

Maybe chill the gently caress out.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

therobit posted:

Maybe chill the gently caress out.

Are you confessing?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Are you confessing?

No, but this does seem to be the only thread on the forums where the convention is not to report when you see a good thread title. Having a meltdown over it is just kinda too much.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah it's an honest mistake, I think 90% of my reports ever are asking for changes to the raised by wolves thread title in TV IV lol so I'd probably do the same here by accident.

My girlfriend (26F) criticizes me (25M) in the form of jokes instead of just being straightforward with me.

quote:

Tl;dr: My girlfriend keeps making “jokes” that seem like veiled criticisms of whatever grievances she has with me, and then uses “it was just a joke” as defense when I get upset.

We’ve been together for four years and for the most part, we have a really healthy, communicative relationship. We really can talk about most issues healthily, but she has one pretty annoying trait.

She makes “rude jokes” all the time that seem like veiled criticism. It feels like when she’s stressed, she just uses a playful cadence as a way to say whatever harsh thought she is really thinking without having to be held accountable for her words. If I ask to her what she’s implying, she will just shut down and say she’s just joking and get mad at me for being upset.

But the jokes aren’t jokes, it’ll be stuff that insults me in random ways — acting like I’m incompetent, or complaining about how I chew, or how I’m lazy and don’t work. For example, I’m very good at my job and work incredibly hard, and have quickly rose the ranks in my profession. I’m very proud of what I do, it’s honest work and I’ll never be a millionaire, but it has a real impact. Meanwhile, she works 35 hours a week in a cushy back office tech job where she makes more money than me and has ping pong meetings and catered lunches from Michelin star chefs in her office. I know she worked hard to get where she is, and I think she has a cool job, but she has lately been acting superior to me over it.

But because I work globally, my hours are inconsistent — sometimes I won’t work until noon but then have to work intensely on a project at 11 PM. I don’t always work normal hours, and she will come inside and I’ll be on TikTok during her normal working hours, so she has started constantly suggesting that I don’t work at all. If I ask to borrow her charger, she’ll make a comment about how my phone is drained because I’m not actually working, but she'll say it in a playful cadence yet she still seems bitter when she says it. But later she does acknowledge that I work hard, but it seems like in the moment, she’s just using humor to veil harsh criticism that she knows isn’t true so she doesn’t have to be held accountable for it.

I’ve tried having conversations with her, but it seems like she just dives into “get off my back it’s just a joke” but I still have to deal with the unwarranted criticism that attacks my character.

Everything else about our relationship is honestly like a fairytale, and this isn’t a major defining issue, I’m just looking for ways to communicate to her this unhealthy habit she has instead of just processing her thoughts in a less toxic way. Everyone has frustrations, and has unkind thoughts that aren’t true, but she needs to learn how to process them healthier instead of dumping them on me and running away from any accountability for what she says.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

therobit posted:

No, but this does seem to be the only thread on the forums where the convention is not to report when you see a good thread title. Having a meltdown over it is just kinda too much.

It could maybe have been phrased better, but IKs don’t see reports, so it’s futile at best. It’s a stressful time of year, let’s give people a pass for being a bit snappy at small annoyances. TW and Corky do a good job with this thread, and I appreciate them, their IK work and their posts. And TW’s cats.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not wanting to give my adult stepdaughter her own room in our new home?

quote:

Throwaway + fake names.

I (35F) have been with my husband (43M) James for 3 years, married for 18 months. He has a 21 year old daughter from his previous marriage, Jane. Jane and I get along well but she was already away at college by the time her dad and I got serious so we don’t have a very close relationship.

James and I are looking to purchase a home together because our current home is not going to work for me in the long term due to some disabilities. We’ve found a few we liked and we were discussing our options when I referred to the third bedroom as the guest room. James asked what I meant because that would be Jane’s room.

This led to an argument between us because I don’t think Jane needs a dedicated bedroom in our new home. She’s renting her own place now (with roommates) year round, no more student housing. And she still has her room at her mom’s house. Of course she’s always welcome to visit and if she were to ever need to move back in, then we could adjust at that time but as it stands, she’s an adult moving on to the adult portion of her life and it seems silly to dedicate a room for her when she’ll use it for 2 weeks out the year, max.

My husband is upset with me still but I really don’t think his position is that strong. She’s a grown up now. AITA?

EDIT - u/uptown2114 DM'd me to ask if I had ever seen Jane nude. This doesn't add anything to the post but I fully believe in publicly shaming pervs

AITA for causing my ex-girlfriend's father to lose his job

quote:

A while back I (M 40's) dated a woman (F 30's) whose father (M 60's) was a nice enough person, but a bit overprotective of his adult daughter. After about a month of dating and without any reason to do so, he ran a full background check on me, including a credit check, without my knowledge or permission. It came back clean and my girlfriend told me about it immediately after the fact. I noticed the 5-point hit to my credit rating, but that wasn't a big deal.

I was more peeved that someone ran a criminal and financial check on me without my knowledge or consent, but I decided to let it go to keep the peace. We broke up 3 months later and had little contact after the break-up.

Approximately 2 months after we broke up, my now ex-girlfriend reached out to me. It turns out her father ran the background and credit checks through his work. He hired employees, so he had access to his company's system to run the checks. He digitally clicked that I had granted consent to the checks, but of course I had not done so and he had no back-up. His company's internal audit department was giving him a hard time to provide the back-up.

She asked me to complete, retroactively date, sign and e-mail a form consenting to the checks to her. I was still a little peeved about the checks, so I declined to do so. She went nuts and her father even called trying to explain his position. He was much nicer about it than her, but I still declined.

Ultimately, the internal auditor for my ex's father's company called to follow up and determine what happened and I told the auditor the entire true story. My ex's father lost his job. He was close to retirement, but I know it set him and his wife back a bit. She occasionally lashed out via text for a month after calling me an AH.

It was a relatively minor inconvenience to my life, and it did cost him a lot. So I ask you Reddit, AITA?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Well that’s one of the best spoilers I’ve seen in the thread.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not wanting to give my adult stepdaughter her own room in our new home?
Ok but what's the second bedroom for then?

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for causing my ex-girlfriend's father to lose his job

LOL get rekt, old dude. Guaranteed that's not the first time he's abused his work access to creep on someone. You can run perfectly legal background checks but they charge a fee, so he was just being cheap and torpedoed his own career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Metis of the Hallway posted:

My girlfriend (26F) criticizes me (25M) in the form of jokes instead of just being straightforward with me.

i really like the "can you explain the joke" method of shutting this poo poo down