Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In Vampire Survivors, does anyone know how to determine what your current and max health values are? There's a level-up option to restore 0.2 health (I think per second), but I have no idea if it's worth it since I have no idea what my health is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

In the normal game there's a list of all your stats that shows up when pausing or leveling up. As far as I recall it's not tied to any unlockable or anything, but yeah it doesn't seem to be there in the Android version... maybe I'm forgetting something.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

hooah posted:

In Vampire Survivors, does anyone know how to determine what your current and max health values are? There's a level-up option to restore 0.2 health (I think per second), but I have no idea if it's worth it since I have no idea what my health is.

I think you get base HP on character selection screen. From there, I guess you could use the icons on the pause menu to determine where you're at?

I think I just unlocked something from the boss in stage 2 that gives like, advanced stats on the menu, so I'm guessing it'll all fall into place after a lil gametime

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hmm for some reason it might be purchasing your first extra character that unlocks those stats in the pause menu. I don't think the thing Standingstoic is referring to should be the thing that triggers that unlock.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've unlocked two additional characters already. Also just had a bonkers run my first time in the Library. I think I got I level 70? Upgraded everything and evolved garlic (which is OP to begin with), whip, and... I thought one more thing but I forget now.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Garlic unfortunately falls off hard although I admit I don’t know if that has changed in later versions, but I doubt it. Now you might be saying to yourself I’ll never go without it and yes that is what everyone said too. But the moment will come where you will let go. Hell now even starting fresh on mobile I am convincing myself I will never leave the garlic. But I and you will.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Did any game ever improve on the Fallout Shelter formula? I know there were a bunch of clones for a while, but they kinda all seemed like F2P predatory messes. I could tolerate that if the curve was OK, or do I reinstall Fallout Shelter for the n-th time to have a chill game of "fiddle with things and upgrade, then send them along, build up base". I suppose based on that description I'm just looking for a more active idle game.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Hand Row posted:

Garlic unfortunately falls off hard although I admit I don’t know if that has changed in later versions, but I doubt it. Now you might be saying to yourself I’ll never go without it and yes that is what everyone said too. But the moment will come where you will let go. Hell now even starting fresh on mobile I am convincing myself I will never leave the garlic. But I and you will.

Yeah garlic does fall off hard. I had like 5 evolved item in a run and garlic was the worst performing

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Any good bullet hell games? Aka to Blue is good. I tried redownloading Bullet Hell Monday but now it forces you to go through a bunch of tutorials.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Hand Row posted:

Garlic is still incredible for the early game even when you have a lot of unlocks, and the healing from it's evolved form can come in handy late game.

I mean, not enough for me to ever take garlic if it's offered past 6 or 7 minutes, but it's not nothing and it's early game power can net you some extra levels before things get harder.

--edit
Oh right it also destroys most projectiles.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 11, 2022

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Hello thread, not sure if this is the right place to ask but: I'm looking for a mobile game whose screenshots I saw years ago. At the time I did not have a smartphone and the game never ported to PC.

The game had very simple graphics, like 8bit-ish, mostly dark with a full-black background. As far as I can remember you picked a class and then fought off monsters, gaining XP and loot. It looked very retro in aesthetics, like a mix of FF1 but with a darker western-dev edge. The perspective centered on whatever it was you were fighting, with your character either entirely off the screen or an over-the-shoulder perspective in the bottom of the screen, I can't recall exactly which.

I know I've described probably a fair few games vaguely... I know it was popular in its own way at the time, I saw people posting about it on SA, in FB groups, and in a bunch of other places, mostly showing off how far they had gotten. Maybe it had some kind of idle or roguelike reset mechanism? I'm not sure.

If anyone has any idea what it could be I would be grateful!

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Buriedbornes?

edit: Coincidentally being released on Steam in two days.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

BoldFace posted:

Buriedbornes?

edit: Coincidentally being released on Steam in two days.

YEP! Thanks!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I think I hit the point where garlic isn't my go to. Vampire Survivors is very fun.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Garlic's damage limits its usefulness late-game, but the increased pushback can still be really useful. I like garlic paired with the bible.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I find once you get the evolved books it keeps a nice buffer layer around you.

I do find that blood whips is mandatory in every build so far. The life leach is too good.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do they not show the evolutions in the android version or is that something you have to unlock?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Do they not show the evolutions in the android version or is that something you have to unlock?

You unlock it after you find a time in the second level I want to say.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I mean yeah I will take Garlic here or there but the vast majority of time it’s a weak choice imo or at least how I play. Besides that it’s damage falls off, the heart item it pairs with stinks and it’s evolve is meh, what kills it for me is the lack of great Arcanas for it. Like the triple bounce arcanas are absurd and I am definitely going to pick one of those attack skills if available over it. Or the one that gives crit for specific skills. For the person above who likes the Whip wait until you get that one.

Btw if you love game breaking bugs that are fun, you can select multiple skills on level ups lmao.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Using Pasqualina in the Library feels like cheating. You can pretty much pick any level ups and be a tiny god within the first couple minutes.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm trying the vamps out, and having a very hard time getting started. Best I've managed so far is level 15. The tankiness of enemies seems to outpace damage output rapidly.

Silius
Apr 24, 2010
Vampire Survivor stopped working on my pixel 6 yesterday 😭. It just never opens and crashes. Sometimes even forcing my phone to reboot. Bummed out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

m.hache posted:

You unlock it after you find a time in the second level I want to say.

Thanks, I think when they introduced that to the game originally I was already past that point so I just had it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Are all controllers for mobile incredibly overpriced or am I just not looking in the right places?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Spermando posted:

Are all controllers for mobile incredibly overpriced or am I just not looking in the right places?

You're not missing much. But there might be something you can find on AliExpress for cheaper than you'll see retail.

Controllers for mobile are also mostly unsupported by a lot of the games you'd want to have them, too.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Spermando posted:

you dont need a controller specifically for mobile, afaik you can get any old bluetooth controller plus optionally $5 plastic clip to hold the phone on top of it
i have an 8bitdo controller to use on my pc but it can connect to my android too

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you dont need a controller specifically for mobile, afaik you can get any old bluetooth controller plus optionally $5 plastic clip to hold the phone on top of it
i have an 8bitdo controller to use on my pc but it can connect to my android too

fwiw if you go this route make sure to get a good clip. I got an 8bitdo specifically to use it with my phone using their clip thing and it was so top heavy with the phone on there that it was hard to comfortably hold the controller and I basically used it twice and never again. I got a razer kishi and have used that so much more because it feels a lot better to hold. I think there are clips out there that distribute the weight differently though, I just kinda didn't bother after that first one.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I tried an old PS4 controller I had lying around and it works fine. Thanks for suggesting those clip things.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
How does saving work in Kingdom: Two Crowns? Does it start you at nothing like a roguelite but with a sprite of the previous king guiding you?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Weeeeeelp, it finally hooked me. I somehow enjoy Vampire Survivors more than Magic Survival. Not sure why, maybe the graphics, or how I already unlocked the 4 characters, but :shrug:

I'll probably buy it on Steam soon.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

or how I already unlocked the 4 characters, but :shrug:

I've got some news for you...

I'm currently at 13 characters and I believe there are still more to unlock.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Ohhhh trust me there are...quite a few characters to unlock.

And that's not even counting the secret ones

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trastion posted:

I've got some news for you...

I'm currently at 13 characters and I believe there are still more to unlock.

Well, they seem more straightforwardly explained, at least.

Edit: yeah, this is giving me major Castlevania (especially SOTN) vibes.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 15, 2022

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Remember when I said that durability seemed to outpace damage rapidly in Vampire Survivors? Scratch that. Once you work out how to pair weapons with accessories (like Magic Wand with Empty Tome, Knife with Bracer, Runetracer with Armor, King Bible with Spellbinder, etc.) to get them to be evolution-capable, you turn into a whirling tornado of pain very rapidly and pretty much the only thing to worry about is accidentally physically stumbling into a boss that's hidden behind massive pyrotechnics.

At the very least, just surviving long enough to unlock the Library stage is a huge boost to early lifespan, because that stage is soooo much easier (and triply so once you get Runetracer bouncing around).

19 characters and counting so far, with many left to unlock.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, King Bible is all the "defense" I've been using and, after a few upgrades, there's almost no fear of taking damage. I do wish the Library unlocked a bit later as it feels a bit too easy to survive the entire run in there and give you all the gold you'll ever need in just a few runs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just beat the Mad Forest, and wow, that was something. I didn't notice what it was that triggered the end of the level, was it time or my player level?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just beat the Mad Forest, and wow, that was something. I didn't notice what it was that triggered the end of the level, was it time or my player level?

Levels are 30 minutes long

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Len posted:

some levels aren't

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Len posted:

Unless you... happen to find some way to survive longer than 30 minutes :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lone Goat posted:

some levels aren't

drat horror queefs posted:

Unless you... happen to find some way to survive longer than 30 minutes :coal:

Fair

But

Reread that post

This was stage 1 and it's been a long time since I've unlocked the others but I'm pretty sure the ones that are shorter are secret stages and I think the items that lets you easily survive are also a secret