Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I am kind of loving everything about my deck except for the battery life, though it is more a 'would be nice if it was better' thing.

Apparently, the scuttlebutt is that they are working on a model with a better/more replaceable battery. I would like it if there was a way to trade up to that when it becomes available, but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If I play something like emulators or an indie game, I can go many hours without any kind of battery concern.

Trying out The Witcher 3 burns it pretty quickly, though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Unlucky7 posted:

Apparently, the scuttlebutt is that they are working on a model with a better/more replaceable battery. I would like it if there was a way to trade up to that when it becomes available, but I doubt it.
Wherever you read that conflated two pieces of information that came out in the Verge interview.

First is that they've already changed the adhesive to make the battery easier to pry out. But you're still going to have to tear the thing apart and heat gun it. Fundamentally they have to glue the battery to keep it from moving around, and they have to make the compartment slightly larger than the battery in case it expands.

Second is the they're looking to improve battery life in a future revision, but I read that as more of a statement of desire rather than a commitment. Notably they're not looking to improve performance, so to get better battery life would mean a die shrink (unlikely?), larger battery, or improving the power efficiency of some other component like the screen.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I like to whiff the air out of the top vent too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I have an 8bitdo SN30 I've been using, which works fine most of the time. The ⭐ button on the right hand side under all the regular buttons functions as the steam button. There's another button on the right hand side that on the switch functions as screen grab, but on my steam deck does nothing and I can't figure out how to map it to do anything. It's like it doesn't exist. I want to make it the menu button.
Yeah, if you're in XInput mode the Share button does nothing on an 8Bitdo. In Switch mode it will take a screenshot like it does on an actual Switch, but the Deck will never know it's there so you can't use Steam Input to remap it IIRC. It's like how you unfortunately can't remap the back paddle buttons on a Pro 2 to anything besides other existing buttons or turbo fire or something like that, because Steam Input doesn't know they're there.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Going through it re: trying to get modded Skyrim to work via Mod Organizer 2

When I run Skyrim straight from Steam? No problems, launcher sees everything, game launches, all that. Running from MO2? No resolutions listed, "renderer failed to initialize", and so on.
v1ld made a huge effortpost about modding Skyrim on Deck over in the Skyrim modding thread but the first step is basically make sure that you've run Skyrim at least once completely unmodded so it can create the WINE prefix and folder structure MO2 needs to run and also to use this installer for MO2. You can see their further adventures in Deck Skyrim modding by filtering to their posts.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I like to whiff the air out of the top vent too.

Same. One little whiff every night before I tuck it away.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

so, it might be partially my own fault for being a hoarder, but i am getting extremely tired of steam always shunting every actual game update below the gigantic list of shader updates by scheduling them to next month or something. trying to view the scheduled section is an exercise in frustration because the loving thing always resets back to top after some miniscule shader is downloaded. atleast let me prioritize games i want always updated damnit.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Risutora posted:

so, it might be partially my own fault for being a hoarder, but i am getting extremely tired of steam always shunting every actual game update below the gigantic list of shader updates by scheduling them to next month or something. trying to view the scheduled section is an exercise in frustration because the loving thing always resets back to top after some miniscule shader is downloaded. atleast let me prioritize games i want always updated damnit.

I think you can actually prioritise updates on a per game basis. It's in the updates portion of the steam settings for the game.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Thirsty Dog posted:

I think you can actually prioritise updates on a per game basis. It's in the updates portion of the steam settings for the game.

gently caress me, youre right, thats great

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just got sick enough of the constant shader updates that I set every installed game to update only when launched.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

One actual question I had, since I’m pretty new to mobile gaming and I played Deus Ex enough times to know the concept of a “zero point” - do batteries such as the Deck’s wear down more quickly if you keep them plugged in? Is it better to just use them freely and charge them within a given battery % range when necessary or if you’re stationary shouldn’t just plug em in?

That linked article contains what I was going to share, namely that temperature extremes (especially heat) are bad as is deep cycling (i.e. going from 100 to 0 to 100%.) I try to operate the Dreck in particular between 20 and 80%, but that can be a pain in terms of constant plugging & unplugging (although you can leave the cable connected to the Dreck and disconnect it at the source) so I figure let it charge up while playing, then disconnect when I'm done.

Barreft posted:

Is there any goon approved grip/stands like the Switch thread has?

This is a weird question, since the Dreck already has built-in grips, unlike the Switch. I'm not sure what you're asking here.

For a stand, you can either go with a dock, or if you just want a plain stand, this one is pretty nice for the price.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

First is that they've already changed the adhesive to make the battery easier to pry out. But you're still going to have to tear the thing apart and heat gun it. Fundamentally they have to glue the battery to keep it from moving around, and they have to make the compartment slightly larger than the battery in case it expands.

You know, I've replaced the battery in devices like this and haven't re-applied the adhesive, and the new battery never rattles around. I think they're exaggerating the problem, at least for a battery that isn't much smaller than the compartment. If anything, I think some [single-sided adhesive] foam makes more sense, because it can fill in the extra space without becoming a burden to remove.

Risutora posted:

gently caress me, youre right, thats great

Hey now, you gotta pay extra for that.

Commander Keene posted:

I just got sick enough of the constant shader updates that I set every installed game to update only when launched.

I have a crappy connection, so I want poo poo to update when I'm not trying to use the software, and even then letting the shader updates process hasn't been an issue for me. Just let everything update when you're not using the Dreck. :shrug:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I think I am done with the Beginner's Guide.

Unlucky7 posted:

Can't imagine more I#d like to do other than keep fixing minor spelling and grammar issues.
So I am kind of loving everything about my deck except for the battery life, though it is more a 'would be nice if it was better' thing.

For me it's the touch screen. I have a zone, around W-A-X-F when bottom screen virtual keyboard is up, where it is just inaccurate and requires harder presses. This makes finger dragging actions impossible where on a Windows touch screen device from the last decade would be fine. It's a problem others have had, and might get a bit better if someone makes an accessible way to calibrate the touch screen matrix.

There are touch screen compatible games on Steam Like World of Goo that are a no-go because of this. Games like Super Dungeon Maker, Slay the Spire, and Dicey Dungeons would be so loving good if this one thing about the system was just a little bit better.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Atomizer posted:

I have a crappy connection, so I want poo poo to update when I'm not trying to use the software, and even then letting the shader updates process hasn't been an issue for me. Just let everything update when you're not using the Dreck. :shrug:

When I’m not using my Deck it’s sleeping, and there doesn’t seem to be a way to tell it to stay awake or wake up to keep updates coming. Also Steam at least on desktop likes to schedule updates for a few days out, presumably to flatten CDN load for people you aren’t actively playing the games, but I am obsessive about updating so it doesn’t please me.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Heran Bago posted:

:popclap:
:perfect:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Heran Bago posted:

Okay look, the game wasn't The Stanely Parable, but it was still perfectly good for what it was.

*click*

oh

I haven't thought to play with the power settings, so I will try that. From here and the other guides I am seeing, the first thing I should try is to lower the frame/refresh rate to 40 or 30, then the TDP?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Unlucky7 posted:

I haven't thought to play with the power settings, so I will try that. From here and the other guides I am seeing, the first thing I should try is to lower the frame/refresh rate to 40 or 30, then the TDP?

Generally yes, but some games that are expected to run at specific framerate (usually 60) can act weird, stuttery or laggy because they are coded to rely on that frame timing.

It's a good idea to reduce game details first to match your tastes. Playing on a small screen means you're not gonna notice distant shadows and stuff like that.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

that is fantastic, thank you for doing the work!

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Heran Bago posted:

This is awesome, thank you for all the hard work!

Can someone post a new invite to the discord? The one linked in the first page of this thread and the Beginner’s Guide are expired.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Had a lot of fun playing MGS1 on Emudeck but my MGS2 playthrough seems dead in the water due to a lack of pressure sensitivity, I can't really hold people hostage... :smith:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Vichan posted:

Had a lot of fun playing MGS1 on Emudeck but my MGS2 playthrough seems dead in the water due to a lack of pressure sensitivity, I can't really hold people hostage... :smith:

I've not touched a PS2 emulator in decades, but isn't there an option to set a modifer button or something? Like, "hold down this button and now all buttons are soft/hard presses"?
I know that's how Twin Snakes, the GameCube MGS1 remake handled not having analogue face buttons on the GCN. Not the same thing, I know, but same idea.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Heran Bago posted:

Good looking out!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Veotax posted:

I've not touched a PS2 emulator in decades, but isn't there an option to set a modifer button or something? Like, "hold down this button and now all buttons are soft/hard presses"?
I know that's how Twin Snakes, the GameCube MGS1 remake handled not having analogue face buttons on the GCN. Not the same thing, I know, but same idea.

There sort of is but I can't get it to work, and the guides I've found all seem to have options I don't have.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Heran Bago posted:

Great guide! The discord link doesn't seem to work anymore.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Vichan posted:

There sort of is but I can't get it to work, and the guides I've found all seem to have options I don't have.

Worst case you could get a cheap wireless dual shock and pair it with the deck

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I followed Microsoft’s instructions to set up Xbox cloud since I picked up another game pass trial to play some poo poo on my actual computer and god drat it’s pretty perfect on the deck.

As much as I think remote game streaming is generally bullshit and should never be the first stop for any kind of play it’s hard to knock this once you’ve tried it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Thought I'd throw this out there: if you have the Quake (2021 Remaster) installed it's easier than I thought it would be to get a source port going if you want to try some unofficial mods, like Arcane Dimensions. Assuming you have Quake installed to the SD card, you can pull up a terminal (Konsole, ssh, etc.) and run:
code:
cd /run/media/mmcblk0p1
mkdir games; cd games
wget 'https://github.com/Novum/vkQuake/releases/download/1.22.3/vkquake-1.22.3_linux64.tar.gz'
tar xvf vkquake-1.22.3_linux64.tar.gz
mv vkquake{-1.22.3_linux64,}
mkdir vkquake/id1; cd vkquake/id1
for i in 0 1; do ln -s "../../../steamapps/common/Quake/id1/PAK$i.PAK" "pak$i.pak"; done
ln -s ../../../steamapps/common/Quake/rerelease/id1/music .
Then open Steam in desktop mode, add a non-Steam game, and browse to "/run/media/mmcblk0p1/games/vkquake/vkquake.AppImage". After that it should just work, including the music.

To install mods, unzip them to a new folder in /run/media/mmcblk0p1/games/vkquake, e.g., Arcane Dimensions to "ad'. They'll then show up under "Mods" in the vkQuake main menu.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Opopanax posted:

Worst case you could get a cheap wireless dual shock and pair it with the deck

I still have a dualshock 3 laying around, would that work?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Vichan posted:

I think so, as long as it's Bluetooth. Depends on if it's backwards compatibile with the game or not

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vichan posted:

yeah I use my DS3when I"m doing PS emulator stuff on my steam donk

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Today I learned that the control GPU clock speed option actually does run the GPU faster and has fixed a lot of issues I had with some emulated games. I also remembered oh right I can just use my Macbook dock with the Deck as well and have a proper monitor and mouse for loving about with stuff.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Heran Bago posted:

I bit the bullet and bought a Deck three days ago so I'll be reading up on this until it gets here. Cheers.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

tater_salad posted:

yeah I use my DS3when I"m doing PS emulator stuff on my steam donk

That's great, now I just have to dig around and find the thing. I'm still bummed that I couldn't get soft press to work in the Steam settings... :(

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh hey a reminder these things are bullshit when trying to pair. You need to connect it to the steam deck for pairing. which like based on the age of the thing I hope you have a USBC adapter plug

Plug in to USB pair while connected then you're all set. I can't remember if I needed a driver pack for it or not.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

aqu posted:

This is awesome, thank you for all the hard work!

Can someone post a new invite to the discord? The one linked in the first page of this thread and the Beginner’s Guide are expired.
https://discord.gg/wTCKGbes

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for the thanks. Hope it's useful for some people getting Decks for Christmas. Deck the halls.

You can copy paste it or just link in the OP as you like, Mescal. Or pass it on for editing. I don't see myself updating it anymore after this last discord link fix.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

My Deck just arrived at my place here in Hiroshima, the Japan preorders have been sent out :D
So excited to start setting this up!

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Just sniffed the fan, I get it now

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Welcome to the club

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

What's the best Symphony of the Night that isn't made by Igarashi?

Been playin' a lot of Vampire Survivors (DLC just dropped), now my playlist is giving me Ren Faire Prog Slow Jams (by a band aptly named "The Guildmaster"), so I'm in a spooky-but-less-bombastic mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth