Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Platystemon posted:

Musk has engineered a really impressive number of simultaneous existential crises for Twitter.

And Tesla! And SpaceX!

https://twitter.com/janecoaston/status/1603580984959832064?t=0bEbDad2N0XVfA2RthfSlA&s=19

Tesla's probably hosed because the Big 3 / foreign automakers have caught up on electric car design and they know how to make cars without a panel gap the size of Texas. And now their market is going to just be chuds! All this because Lonnie wants hugs from chuds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

Musk has engineered a really impressive number of simultaneous existential crises for Twitter.

He hates it almost as much as we do!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Like we’ve been talking about the shakiness of the website itself, but we’ve also got:

• Musk’s business partners of unknown disposition
  • Depressed advertizer spending
  • Not paying suppliers
  • Budget deficit in the billions per year
  • Pissing off celebrities
  • Pissing off journalists
  • Pissing off Washington
  • Pissing off Brussels
  • Pissing off the Chapelle‐watching public
  • All of the above in a feedback loop with Tesla stock price, which Musk must sell to keep Twitter solvent

Some of these are more serious than others and some of them could be weathered, sure, but the prognosis gets bad when you’re fighting technical and legal battles with a skeleton crew who may not have been paid, in buildings that you may be evicted from tomorrow.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I wonder if musk is taking something that put him in a mental state where he thought it was a good idea to mass ban journalists. That’s like jailing your rival candidate in Tropico, it hurts your image and they just nominate someone else anyway.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also, twitter is banning any links to mastodon, as it's a "dangerous website". Also they're poo poo at coding, so apparently capitalizing any letter in said link evades the filter :laugh:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Farmer Hairplugs just banned a Voice of America journalist. Seems like a bad move for someone's whose only viable business is dependent on government contracts.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Farmer Hairplugs just banned a Voice of America journalist. Seems like a bad move for someone's whose only viable business is dependent on government contracts.

He's also outright lying about the ban reason:

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1603590445489336321?t=_Ym0c3ss4HVRZ4SwypLw5Q&s=19

Most of the media people (content creators!) will probably be gone by Christmas.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

He had already run enough journos off the platform by last week that Chapo Trap House ran out of content and had to open up to a call-in format. And yet, the show was only stronger for it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

shame on an IGA posted:

He had already run enough journos off the platform by last week that Chapo Trap House ran out of content and had to open up to a call-in format. And yet, the show was only stronger for it.

Stronger as in a kid with advanced progeria having a good day, I suppose.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I wonder if musk is taking something that put him in a mental state where he thought it was a good idea to mass ban journalists. That’s like jailing your rival candidate in Tropico, it hurts your image and they just nominate someone else anyway.

Didn't he say he thought one of his girlfriends was a simulation?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Musk makes them sound way more badass than they actually are.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'd think someone was a simulation, too, if they dated Musk.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I believe Kanye had a term for women that would date Musk...

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

facialimpediment posted:

He's also outright lying about the ban reason:

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1603590445489336321?t=_Ym0c3ss4HVRZ4SwypLw5Q&s=19

Most of the media people (content creators!) will probably be gone by Christmas.

We sure this isn't an extended Bullworth scenario? I mean, minus the whole realizing the plight of the common man and turning a new page and all.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Yup.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/entertainment/a41637053/elon-musk-grimes-simulation/

quote:

"She [Grimes] told me repeatedly that Musk has this theory of her that she’s not real," Gordon said on the TV show. "That she’s a simulation who was created by him and exists in his cerebral cortex as sort of the perfect companion to him. Which sounds a little crazy and maybe even a little creepy, except, she agrees with it. She said she does feel like this simulation which was perfectly created for him."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

lmao fedgov isn't going to dump spacex over suppressing a bunch of reporters that they'd also like to see silenced. VoA is a third rate propaganda service with delusions of adequacy anyway.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Midjack posted:

lmao fedgov isn't going to dump spacex over suppressing a bunch of reporters that they'd also like to see silenced. VoA is a third rate propaganda service with delusions of adequacy anyway.

:ok:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
fedgov doesn't need to dump spacex when they can nationalize spacex! :science:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
lil space nas x when

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Midjack posted:

You're attributing a level of complex thinking to the federal government that doesn't exist.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Note that this is a valid but stupid use for cryptographic keys as proof of ownership when copyright law comes into play.

What actually happened:
*Someone post the it can't be that stupid you must be explaining it wrong sticker*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Not even close - nfts are not and have never been a way to show ownership of copyright of an artwork, any more than physical possession of a painting shows ownership of the copyright. You could certainly sell the copyright along with an nft, but a contract, not the nft, is what proves the copyright has been transferred.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

McNally posted:

I'd think someone was a simulation, too, if they dated Musk.

I mean, Grimes is a rich kid whose first hardship in life was probably dating Elon so you're not wrong

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

her river boat got stuck on that sandbar for a whole two weeks. you can't imagine that hardship

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hypnophant posted:

Not even close - nfts are not and have never been a way to show ownership of copyright of an artwork, any more than physical possession of a painting shows ownership of the copyright. You could certainly sell the copyright along with an nft, but a contract, not the nft, is what proves the copyright has been transferred.

From a plenty-of-years professional technodork point of view, NFTs are basically SSL certificates verified using a magical blockchain instead of an actual chain of trust. They simply are a block of data that says "yep, this person owns <thing>" with a cryptographic reference that says "ask <upstream> for proof", except instead of <upstream> being authenticated by one of the dozen internationally approved sources of truth, <upstream> is a cryptographic signature on a blockchain that cost millions of trees to get to that you "trust" because the math says you should.

Not only is it a bad implementation of an old technology, it's intentionally designed to burn as much energy as possible to create in the name of libertarian decentralization or whatever the noncing gently caress.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

From a plenty-of-years professional technodork point of view, NFTs are basically SSL certificates verified using a magical blockchain instead of an actual chain of trust. They simply are a block of data that says "yep, this person owns <thing>" with a cryptographic reference that says "ask <upstream> for proof", except instead of <upstream> being authenticated by one of the dozen internationally approved sources of truth, <upstream> is a cryptographic signature on a blockchain that cost millions of trees to get to that you "trust" because the math says you should.

Not only is it a bad implementation of an old technology, it's intentionally designed to burn as much energy as possible to create in the name of libertarian decentralization or whatever the noncing gently caress.

the fact that it burns the energy of a small country to tell you that yes, in fact that digital pog is rare (it isn't) is important to lolbertarians, if it didn't burn the energy, it wouldn't be scarce and thus wouldn't be valuable. It doesn't make sense to me either.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

orange juche posted:

the fact that it burns the energy of a small country to tell you that yes, in fact that digital pog is rare (it isn't) is important to lolbertarians, if it didn't burn the energy, it wouldn't be scarce and thus wouldn't be valuable. It doesn't make sense to me either.

A "fun" comparison is that every transaction on the Ethereum blockchain uses about as much energy as contained in the detonation of a Hellfire missile's warhead.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Musk personally banning a raft of journalists he doesn't like. drat there's all that free speech again, it's just everywhere it's so free.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Midjack posted:

This post is dumb and wrong.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Brute Squad posted:

her river boat got stuck on that sandbar for a whole two weeks. you can't imagine that hardship

I had to look this up and are we sure that grimes isn't a goon? This seems like one of the particularly bad goon projects.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Kazinsal posted:

A "fun" comparison is that every transaction on the Ethereum blockchain uses about as much energy as contained in the detonation of a Hellfire missile's warhead.

I haven't had my morning coffee so I don't feel like redoing the math. But back in 2018 I worked out that a single Bitcoin transaction had the same carbon footprint as driving an F-150 from Jacksonville to Houston. It's energy wastage has only gotten worse since then.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

https://twitter.com/investmentshulk/status/1603439373416120329

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Brute Squad posted:

She also started losing her hair and had scurvy from a diet of nothing but buttery noodles.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Not even 24 hours. What's the record for quickest abandonment of a scheme after its started? This has to be a solid contender for that record.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Randalor posted:

Not even 24 hours. What's the record for quickest abandonment of a scheme after its started? This has to be a solid contender for that record.

He made it like 3 or 4 hours.

Trump already cashed the check so he doesn’t give a fuuuuuck.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

She also started losing her hair and had scurvy from a diet of nothing but buttery noodles.

I dare not post this inline. Click at your own discretion.

It’s a video of Grimes talking about just eating spaghetti for two years, and it is gross on multiple levels.

:nms: gross video :nms:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Today's twitter updates:

https://twitter.com/MarisaKabas/status/1603613078809186305?t=zmwvAI72ozyRGGeAwuUvVA&s=19

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/pranavdixit/elon-musk-twitter-space-suspended-journalists

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1603744188574695424?t=Jty8-8fJlCXxjEdSrp2X8w&s=19

https://twitter.com/BuyErasers/status/1603737252890394624?t=NAw8NRyO5_IRPeVRt1_H_A&s=19

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So I don't know a thing about grimes except she makes music and let someone old enough to be her father make a baby with a stupid name, but she's pretty much an idiot, yeah?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BUT IT WORKED TO JUSTIFY UNBANNING TRUMP WHY ISN'T IT GOING MY WAY NOW

Platystemon posted:

I dare not post this inline. Click at your own discretion.

It’s a video of Grimes talking about just eating spaghetti for two years, and it is gross on multiple levels.

:nms: gross video :nms:

Especially the level where a middle aged man decided that this is exactly what he was looking for in a romantic partner.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Someone yesterday made a comparison to Tropico (where the player has the option to delay elections if polling is bad) and holy poo poo, if it isn't spot on.

Elon Presidente.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tropico’s advisors exist primarily for comic relief and give horrible advice, but following it would be an improvement on what Musk is actually doing.