Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

xbilkis posted:

Ah, a premier free agent willing to sign for no more than 6 years, I assume he signed with the Cubs

Rodon reportedly really wanted to go to the Yankees for god knows what reason, I doubt the Cubs could have had him at the same price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rodon will spend half that contract on the IL

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
If the Twins go full loser mode and start trading away Gray, Arraez, etc just because they whiffed on one guy (as is presently rumored), I think I'm done with this team forever. Maybe I go shopping for another team, maybe I just play more video games in the summer. But I sure as poo poo won't be spending any of my money or attention on these loving pieces of poo poo.

This is supposed to be fun. It's not fun when you don't have any hope. And if they immediately pivot to being sellers, it's clear that hope is not a thing we'll ever have. '87 and '91 will be just like those pre-integration national titles that the Gopher football team claims: relics of a bygone age. Never, ever happening again between now and the oceans being boiled by the sun.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 16, 2022

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Best of luck to Rodon. Not a bad deal but Zaidi will never give a pitcher more than three years no matter how good they are.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Also a dynasty is whoever wins the most championships in a set amount of time. No one cares who came in second place.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think Red Sox nation is getting testy

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/1603564276194881538?s=46&t=rDhaijpPiyZzeJL3IMQWww

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
How is a guy doing his job remarkable

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

King poo poo

Also

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1603569102735511553?s=20&t=hxvuZW9FfWDT4y516rMl5A

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1603576796494139398

Framber Valdez is the best LHP in baseball.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Could also make a case for Julio Urías.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kershaw had a 2.28 ERA this year

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The answer is obviously Kershaw until he has a bad year

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Pretty clearly Danny Duffy (when he's on)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Kershaw had a 2.28 ERA this year

All Kershaw has to do is stay health for like, one full season, and he's the favorite to wrap up another Cy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
imo the Yankees have had a good offseason so far, keep it up Moneyman.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Yankees are better on paper than last season, the Astros are worse, all the other AL contenders took a step back

So guess it'll be another spicy ALCS

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jays pitching and defence is better. If they get a decent OFer they should be better

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Intruder posted:

The Yankees are better on paper than last season, the Astros are worse, all the other AL contenders took a step back

Mariners got significantly better but still have more work to do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The yankees aren't a good offensive team at the moment.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Seriously. Not a single player has gotten a hit in months.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The Angels, as a team, will spend 0 days on the IL this year and you'll be sorry when they finish 80-82.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

mcmagic posted:

Judge, DJ, Stanton, Rizzo, Torres, Carpenter (like he played for yall last year) compares pretty well to Yordan, Altuve, Bregman, Tucker, Pena, Abreu

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Yankees signed the two best free agents

I watched most of Carlos Rodon's starts this year. He doesn't pitch deep into games sometimes but he's 100% an ace.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Intruder posted:

Replacing Gurriel with Abreu ain't bad.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Replacing Gurriel with Abreu ain't bad.

I think you're overlooking a pretty big subtraction

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Intruder posted:

Sure but Gurriel to Abreu is a five WAR swing. Get a decent starter and it’s fine. Not like they haven’t made the World Series without Verlander before.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

live with fruit posted:

Sure but Gurriel to Abreu is a five WAR swing. Get a decent starter and it’s fine. Not like they haven’t made the World Series without Verlander before.

Sure but also the Rangers made a big move and even though there's a balanced schedule now, they will certainly push the Astros in the divi---BAHAHAHAHA

I tried, but couldn't type it out

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Intruder posted:

The Astros made the World Series without Verlander in 2021 and also ran Rodon in under 3 during the playoffs that year.

Maybe losing JV will be a huge blow, but I don't see it given how 2021 played out.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
That is a great contract given what else we saw this off-season. I guess they didn't blink at Boras since the original rumor was they'd offer him something like 6 for 160 and then Heyman started doing Heyman things saying he might want 7 for 200

I assume they will just be active in the trade market now cause Cashman likes making trades and no way they give Benintendi a 5 or 6 year deal that I've seen reported he is looking for

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

The Astros made the World Series without Verlander in 2021 and also ran Rodon in under 3 during the playoffs that year.

Maybe losing JV will be a huge blow, but I don't see it given how 2021 played out.

I made no claims as to whether or not the Astros will be competitive this season. I said they got worse. This is true. It's also true that the Yankees got better

Intruder fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 16, 2022

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Sab0921 posted:

I also look forward to another complete replication of the 2021 World Series. As a Barves fan, thank you for this endorsement

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

I also look forward to another complete replication of the 2021 World Series. As a Barves fan, thank you for this endorsement

No problem. Would you like to hear in grave detail about how Jorge Soler crushed my hopes and dreams? I had a wonderful view from Section 209.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dyer13/status/1600725775883567105

lord jesus

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Sab0921 posted:

No problem. Would you like to hear in grave detail about how Jorge Soler crushed my hopes and dreams? I had a wonderful view from Section 209.

Shout out watching enormous Cuban men obliterate home runs in games 6 to propel our preferred team to a World Series victory, may it continue for 10000 years (Atlanta just gotta find a new one for next year)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thank you Chaim for doing the needful

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

now do the same with Jedrick Van Hoyer

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Jays pitching and defence is better. If they get a decent OFer they should be better

The Jays also look better on paper if Vlad is closer to 2021 Vlad and not 2022, which is something I think will happen.

And 2022 Vlad was still good!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

The Jays also look better on paper if Vlad is closer to 2021 Vlad and not 2022, which is something I think will happen.

And 2022 Vlad was still good!

Ya the Jays definitely have room for internal growth, but I think how they produced last year, which was fine really, is sort of the median of what they'll do.

You could have pretty much every hitter but Springer and Jansen have a pretty big uptick and it wouldn't be a surprise, but I also don't expect that everyone will do that and the Jays offence was at the top of the league in most categories last year even if it didn't feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lost in all of the cubs lamentations but: what the gently caress are the white sox doing???????