Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

hyphz posted:

The tricky bit is to find one that's not designer-led...

That's an interesting point. My example I posted, Party of One, has the designers on running or playing it with the host.

I get where that might paint an unrealistic picture of how the game will play in practice, sometimes. But it should be a good indicator of what intended play looks like, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Jimbozig posted:

That's an interesting point. My example I posted, Party of One, has the designers on running or playing it with the host.

I get where that might paint an unrealistic picture of how the game will play in practice, sometimes. But it should be a good indicator of what intended play looks like, no?

Yes, and good for picking up the intent of a game if it's unclear, but very bad for highlighting any design issues, and potentially prearranged/edited.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 14, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I just thought you guys would appreciate this: was chatting with someone at work who revealed that they like RPGs, and I was kind of feeling them out. They are a very nice guy and I enjoy working with them, but they started flashing warning signs when they told me that they didn't like 4e because every character was the same (uh oh) and then they hit me with: "I like moral complexity and role-play difficulty when I play. I nearly always give my PCs some kind of challenging personality disorder that makes them interesting. Whenever someone would ask me to play in their D&D campaign, I'd always ask if I could play a Drow. Not a Drizzt Drow, a legit Lolth-worshipping, surface hating traditional Drow."

Really nice guy but you could not pay me enough to play with them if they the kind of player that I suspect they are.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Whenever someone would ask me to play in their D&D campaign, I'd always ask if I could play a Drow. Not a Drizzt Drow, a legit Lolth-worshipping, surface hating traditional Drow."

Turn them on to Spire.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I suspect Spire wouldn't work because this guy isn't into playing dark elves so much as he is playing disruptive characters that don't work for the narrative and causing problems on purpose. Unless Spire supports that, I guess?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What if he likes playing a character's growth and development where they adopt the evil ways of their original culture

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I just thought you guys would appreciate this: was chatting with someone at work who revealed that they like RPGs, and I was kind of feeling them out. They are a very nice guy and I enjoy working with them, but they started flashing warning signs when they told me that they didn't like 4e because every character was the same (uh oh) and then they hit me with: "I like moral complexity and role-play difficulty when I play. I nearly always give my PCs some kind of challenging personality disorder that makes them interesting. Whenever someone would ask me to play in their D&D campaign, I'd always ask if I could play a Drow. Not a Drizzt Drow, a legit Lolth-worshipping, surface hating traditional Drow."

Really nice guy but you could not pay me enough to play with them if they the kind of player that I suspect they are.

this reminds me of a story about how Jim Caviezel was banned from ever driving on-set again because they were shooting Person of Interest on-location in New York and as soon as they give him the keys to a car and start rolling he peels out at some fraction of the speed of light, blows through a bunch of traffic signals and nearly kills two pedestrians

when they catch up to him and ask him what the hell he did that for, he replies with "it's what my character would do!"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

this reminds me of a story about how Jim Caviezel was banned from ever driving on-set again because they were shooting Person of Interest on-location in New York and as soon as they give him the keys to a car and start rolling he peels out at some fraction of the speed of light, blows through a bunch of traffic signals and nearly kills two pedestrians

when they catch up to him and ask him what the hell he did that for, he replies with "it's what my character would do!"

They also had the writers take away his character's gun because he kept bringing a real loaded gun to set.

Jim Caviezel is legit batshit loco. You'll be shocked to find out he's really into Q-Anon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

a met someone on Tinder a few months back who cringed when i told her I played in a 4e game and said that she hadnt played it but that it "sounded like a misguided but functional game, like the star wars prequels". she also lamented that 5e made designing encounters too hard, specifically too hard to reliably kill players.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Countblanc posted:

a met someone on Tinder a few months back who cringed when i told her I played in a 4e game and said that she hadnt played it but that it "sounded like a misguided but functional game, like the star wars prequels". she also lamented that 5e made designing encounters too hard, specifically too hard to reliably kill players.

Depending on whether or not she meant player characters, she's either crazy stay the hell away, or crazy fun.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Countblanc posted:

Congratulations on your engagement.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Countblanc posted:

a met someone on Tinder a few months back who cringed when i told her I played in a 4e game and said that she hadnt played it but that it "sounded like a misguided but functional game, like the star wars prequels".

Would that make 5e the sequels, and AD&D, 2e and/or 3e the originals? Cause that kinda tracks.

3.5 could be the Christmas special.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Better than its reputation and primarily dragged down by bad actors? Sure, that sounds like 4E. :v:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The Star Wars prequels weren't dragged down by bad actors.

There was bad acting in them, but I don't think any worthwhile judge of actors would say Christopher Lee, Ewan MacGregor and Natalie Portman were bad actors.

That's the genius of George Lucas.

Gort fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 16, 2022

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

CBS has still not come back to me on my proposal for a sequel series that's just about Root and Shaw getting into weird hypermodern cyberpunk adventures without any of the boys. :f5:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I am generally a Prequel Defender (sighs, unsheathes red lightsaber) but I wish Lucas had stepped back and let somebody else coach the actors. He seems not to care for working with actors. I'm sure letting someone else direct would be too much, and I don't claim to understand how the sausage is made, but maybe the AD or script supervisor could have played a bigger role there.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Nessus posted:

Niven isn't going to win you any antifa supersoldier Book-It points but did not, at least, stand out as particularly propagandistic.

Pournelle *handwobble*

The motie books were good though but you could really kind of see the seams on the characters.

There's no excuse for the propaganda of The Burning City - and the plotting was Niven's not Pournelle's. Niven is a scion of a wealthy oil family, and his early short stories are great. He used to hone them on oil rigs (where pre-internet there was basically nothing to do) telling stories and honing them in response to which parts the oil workers liked them. Neutron Star (1968) is a strong SF short story collection although with hindsight I wonder how many female characters in the entire anthology. But the more his physical storytelling was in the past the weaker his strengths and also he started getting more and more "Rich California Republican".

For how extreme Niven is his advice in 2008 for lowering healthcare costs was to plant, in Spanish, rumours that emergency rooms were killing Latino patients and harvesting their organs.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Niven and Pournelle also teamed up to write Lucifer's Hammer, which had

(checks notes)

White folks trying to rebuild civilization while being attacked by a band of black cannibals. Oh, and a troops of Girl Scouts who are enslaved, held captive, and raped by bikers; a group of Boy Scouts kill the bikers in their sleep, then they - including the middle aged Scoutmaster - hook up with the Girl Scouts.

Yes, really.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Halloween Jack posted:

I am generally a Prequel Defender (sighs, unsheathes red lightsaber) but I wish Lucas had stepped back and let somebody else coach the actors. He seems not to care for working with actors. I'm sure letting someone else direct would be too much, and I don't claim to understand how the sausage is made, but maybe the AD or script supervisor could have played a bigger role there.

Somewhere in the original trilogy, I think during A New Hope, Harrison Ford supposedly told Lucas, "You can write this, but it doesn't mean people talk like this." It's not just actors, it's scripts as well. You know Solo's original line in Empire was "I love you too!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
To be "fair," absolutely revolting characterization of women is very common in sci-fi from the 60s and 70s, without much regard for political affiliation.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
The Prequels were bad, but I do like how in the comics and games you get people on backwater planets still using old Confederate weapons and hardware in the Imperial Era - the Star Wars equivalent of the Yugos still using T-34s in the nineties.

Some of the visual designs were cool too, like the rolly poly droids and the spaceships whose wings turn into little feet.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The prequels did some cool setting building, and the sequels were better as cinematic experiences. If only their powers could have been combined.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mellonbread posted:

The Prequels were bad, but I do like how in the comics and games you get people on backwater planets still using old Confederate weapons and hardware in the Imperial Era - the Star Wars equivalent of the Yugos still using T-34s in the nineties.

Some of the visual designs were cool too, like the rolly poly droids and the spaceships whose wings turn into little feet.

I read this as the wrong kind of Confederate and it took me ages to switch gears. Oof.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Better than its reputation and primarily dragged down by bad actors? Sure, that sounds like 4E. :v:

Absolutely, yes. Like 4E, the prequels were the only logical development of the series given what had come before, and their actual flaws were largely incidental to the highly ideological attacks against them. Eventually, an attempt was made to appease the audience launching those ideological attacks, and - surprise! - the result was just utter dreck.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Absolutely, yes. Like 4E, the prequels were the only logical development of the series given what had come before, and their actual flaws were largely incidental to the highly ideological attacks against them. Eventually, an attempt was made to appease the audience launching those ideological attacks, and - surprise! - the result was just utter dreck.

"The only logical development" is utter nonsense. Before they came out I assumed that the Clone Wars were about clones of Jedi. Which was part of why the Jedi were driven into hiding. The only prequel film that was close to the OT was Revenge of the Sith; Anakin had to be a war hero, to have twins, to be corrupted to the dark side by Palpatine, and to be left for dead. (But he didn't have to become a school shooter).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

neonchameleon posted:

"The only logical development" is utter nonsense. Before they came out I assumed that the Clone Wars were about clones of Jedi. Which was part of why the Jedi were driven into hiding. The only prequel film that was close to the OT was Revenge of the Sith; Anakin had to be a war hero, to have twins, to be corrupted to the dark side by Palpatine, and to be left for dead. (But he didn't have to become a school shooter).

The only logical development was to depict the Old Republic as a slave state that fell to its own internal contradictions and the Jedi as complicit.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think that's why most people didn't like the prequels though.

Your argument for weird ideological media consumption fits a lot better with the discussion around Episodes 7-9.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm running a Cthulhu game for my gaming group soon. I want a one-off that we can play in one or two sessions, and is good and fun. I am willing to pay money of course, and would prefer the old d100 system if possible. Has anyone got any recommendations for modules or whatever?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

neonchameleon posted:

There's no excuse for the propaganda of The Burning City - and the plotting was Niven's not Pournelle's. Niven is a scion of a wealthy oil family, and his early short stories are great. He used to hone them on oil rigs (where pre-internet there was basically nothing to do) telling stories and honing them in response to which parts the oil workers liked them. Neutron Star (1968) is a strong SF short story collection although with hindsight I wonder how many female characters in the entire anthology. But the more his physical storytelling was in the past the weaker his strengths and also he started getting more and more "Rich California Republican".

For how extreme Niven is his advice in 2008 for lowering healthcare costs was to plant, in Spanish, rumours that emergency rooms were killing Latino patients and harvesting their organs.
Ha ha, drat! What an rear end in a top hat.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't think that's why most people didn't like the prequels though.

Your argument for weird ideological media consumption fits a lot better with the discussion around Episodes 7-9.

Ah, but did "most people" not like them? Or was the supposed controversy actually localized to a contingent of reactionary superfans?

OSCAR ISAAC: "Somehow, caster supremacy returned."

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Apologies "most people who didn't like the prequels didn't like them". Yeah obviously most people consumed all nine star wars movies the same way they consume Fast and the Furious movies or Transformers movies vaguely considering them enjoyable and going to see each one as they come out.

But again the reason that "most people who didn't like the prequels didn't like them" had nothing to do with portraying the Republic as a collapsing doomed state. That's how it was portrayed in the Old Republic and even terrible Expanded Universe novels. The movie can have themes be obviously present and fail to land.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You know, if it took 'em five thousand years to fail, that sounds awfully adjacent to success where I figure.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I didn't like them because I felt they were badly filmed, poorly paced, had atrocious dialogue, forced slapstick that didn't land well, major logical inconsistencies and plot holes leading into the original trilogy, and rehashed the same themes over again but worse.

I feel like if you watched the red letter media parody/critiques of the prequels, even if you didn't agree with everything they said or found the weird old guy interludes distracting, it'd be pretty hard not to at least nod along when they're pointing out all the very lazy filmmaking techniques, stuff where despite huge gobs of money they were still just totally phoned in.

I watched Andor and it's incredible how much better the star wars setting can be when the writer and director obviously take everything seriously and try hard to make an engaging drama and succeed at that.

I feel like if there's a comparison to be made between 4th edition and the star wars prequels, its how the guy at the top ultimately ruined both of them by somehow not understanding what made them good in the first place.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

I didn't like them because I felt they were badly filmed, poorly paced, had atrocious dialogue, forced slapstick that didn't land well, major logical inconsistencies and plot holes leading into the original trilogy, and rehashed the same themes over again but worse.
Yes but have you considered that "no they're good actually" is the new mainstream contrarian take and the actual quality of the films is less important than following the current pseudo-countercultural zeitgeist?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

redreader posted:

I'm running a Cthulhu game for my gaming group soon. I want a one-off that we can play in one or two sessions, and is good and fun. I am willing to pay money of course, and would prefer the old d100 system if possible. Has anyone got any recommendations for modules or whatever?

Do the classic Edge of Darkness from the CoC Starter Set.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Splicer posted:

Yes but have you considered that "no they're good actually" is the new mainstream contrarian take and the actual quality of the films is less important than following the current pseudo-countercultural zeitgeist?

Good execution can salvage bad themes, but good themes can't salvage bad execution.

To make it about trad games: ask me about years of trying and failing to GM Promethean!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Wait are we still talking about 4e because yes

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The prequels are fine movies that are not as good as the originals and nerds have still not forgiven them for this.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The prequels are good hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like when the lightsaber does the "VRUM" sound and I occasionally like when it hits another lightsaber and does the "KSSSH" sound.