Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

As somebody who picked up Vampire Survivors when there were only 3 stages, watching people rediscover the magic is great.

It's such this very simple "Oh, it's Castlevania weapons." start that very rapidly blooms into school yard "OMG YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED!" gossip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Relentless posted:

As somebody who picked up Vampire Survivors when there were only 3 stages, watching people rediscover the magic is great.

It's such this very simple "Oh, it's Castlevania weapons." start that very rapidly blooms into school yard "OMG YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED!" gossip.

IT'S A DOG

THAT FARTS FLOWERS

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
How deep does VS go? I'm about 75% through the collectibles but does it unlock more as time goes on? My gold seems to not really matter anymore (I guess I can upgrade people at the shops?).

Enjoying it, just trying to figure out if there's a true ending

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

m.hache posted:

How deep does VS go? I'm about 75% through the collectibles but does it unlock more as time goes on? My gold seems to not really matter anymore (I guess I can upgrade people at the shops?).

Enjoying it, just trying to figure out if there's a true ending

There is a true ending with fireworks and everything

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
In addition to unlocking more stuff, you eventually will get an infinite gold sink so it always serves a purpose.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I dunno, I feel like if I avoid garlic, I can't get past 10 minutes, even in the library.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I am at 126/127 in the collection, with seven secret characters not unlocked yet.

hooah posted:

I dunno, I feel like if I avoid garlic, I can't get past 10 minutes, even in the library.

Don't wander too far at first. Take Runetracer as quickly as you can, build it up, let it bounce, and kite enemy groups while letting it and something like Magic Wand or Whip chip away at them. Get King Bible as an alternate defense and build it up, too. Before long, you should be able to defend against hordes and max out your weaponry. Don't forget to match up your weapons with the right accessories to enable evolution.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

delfin posted:

I am at 126/127 in the collection, with seven secret characters not unlocked yet.

Don't wander too far at first. Take Runetracer as quickly as you can, build it up, let it bounce, and kite enemy groups while letting it and something like Magic Wand or Whip chip away at them. Get King Bible as an alternate defense and build it up, too. Before long, you should be able to defend against hordes and max out your weaponry. Don't forget to match up your weapons with the right accessories to enable evolution.

I have not encountered Runetracer yet. Where does it come from?

Evolution is still hit and miss since I haven't unlocked many of them yet.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

hooah posted:

I have not encountered Runetracer yet. Where does it come from?

Evolution is still hit and miss since I haven't unlocked many of them yet.

Pasqualina starts with it, and she should be available from early on. It's a bouncing widget that's very effective in Library because of the narrow width.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

delfin posted:

Pasqualina starts with it, and she should be available from early on. It's a bouncing widget that's very effective in Library because of the narrow width.

Why doesn't that character's description mention it? That's kinda dumb.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

hooah posted:

It's her starting weapon. It's the diamond shaped thing.

Edit: forgot how hosed up finding the yellow sign is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hooah posted:

Her character square in the selection menu has the picture of it right there.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

delfin posted:

I tried this, and as I started I thought to myself "Hopefully I will get a bit further, but I might need a few runs at this before I see the results."

Nope

Full clear first shot. It was a little bit dicey towards the end, but yeah, runetracer owns.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Her character square in the selection menu has the picture of it right there.

Yes, but as a new player that's the first place you encounter it, so you have no idea what it is (or that it's a good weapon).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hooah posted:

Yes, but as a new player that's the first place you encounter it, so you have no idea what it is (or that it's a good weapon).

Fair enough.

Man, is that a pain in the rear end weapon at first. Goes through enemies, sure, but you have no idea what direction beforehand.

Having 7 of them beaming out of you on a crazy small cooldown is :black101: though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fair enough.

Man, is that a pain in the rear end weapon at first. Goes through enemies, sure, but you have no idea what direction beforehand.

Having 7 of them beaming out of you on a crazy small cooldown is :black101: though.

Yeah, it ended up working pretty well. I think 25 minutes. I had it evolved with armor plus bracer and duplicator.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I mean what you said is a good thing. Hey there’s this new skill is it any good? Hell yea it is. And mind you like every skill is good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hand Row posted:

I mean what you said is a good thing. Hey there’s this new skill is it any good? Hell yea it is. And mind you like every skill is good.

The ones I rarely if ever go for are the shield one (is that the laurel? I can't even remember) and the speed boost.

Naturally, for my next playthrough, I'll be prioritizing both of these.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
True and even then Laurel has a critical niche role later on. Wings though yea definitely no go and I don’t think you get its matching evolve skill until way later.

As far as passives go it’s almost always just what is needed for evolve and then like always Spinach for me. Fun tip for new people the dropped passives on the map can exceed your skill limit.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Is the Gallo Tower level just buggy as hell for anyone else? I randomly walk through walls and float in space, sometimes getting stuck in the walls for a minute as I try to get back into the tower.
Then I found a mirror that teleported me to another room with nothing but a desk in it that I couldn't walk out of until it randomly teleported me back to the tower.
It's very confusing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone here playing Necromerger? It's another merging game but by the Idle Apocalypse devs which was a game I liked and this has a pretty neat gimmick and art style for a one of these games. Nothing really spectacular but it's been good to poke at when I have some spare time and haven't felt pressured to give them money at all thus far.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

explosivo posted:

Anyone here playing Necromerger? It's another merging game but by the Idle Apocalypse devs which was a game I liked and this has a pretty neat gimmick and art style for a one of these games. Nothing really spectacular but it's been good to poke at when I have some spare time and haven't felt pressured to give them money at all thus far.

It's good for a few days but progress stalls really hard and you're constrained by the size of the board really badly. The mechanics are a good step forward for the merge things genre but it just didn't have a ton of staying power for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SynthesisAlpha posted:

It's good for a few days but progress stalls really hard and you're constrained by the size of the board really badly. The mechanics are a good step forward for the merge things genre but it just didn't have a ton of staying power for me.

Yeah I'm not very far in but was getting that sort of feeling myself. The board constraint seems to be the biggest gimmick going for it and it's already kind of annoying me. Oh well.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I had the same experience.

Hungry For Home: A Cats Tail is a similar merge game that didn't seem to have the same limitations.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.toho.ouchinikaeritai

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I don't necessarily mind the board being so constrained, because in theory that can add some interesting strain to the merger style. But in practice it's just like Idle Apocalypse and Idle Mastermind: it relies too much on having you run into walls and needing to either pay, watch ads or do both if you want to progress in a timely manner.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm really enjoying Kingdom Two Crowns and Slice and Dice. Any other similar games?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Organic Lube User posted:

Is the Gallo Tower level just buggy as hell for anyone else? I randomly walk through walls and float in space, sometimes getting stuck in the walls for a minute as I try to get back into the tower.
Then I found a mirror that teleported me to another room with nothing but a desk in it that I couldn't walk out of until it randomly teleported me back to the tower.
It's very confusing.

Clipping through walls is buggy, i think it's tied to your movespeed or something? That mirror is working as intended though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Alright, so Pasqualina is the secret to the library. How about the dairy level? I haven't reached 10 minutes yet, and most runs are maybe 5.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Holy book upgrades is your secret to surviving pretty much anything

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

hooah posted:

Alright, so Pasqualina is the secret to the library. How about the dairy level? I haven't reached 10 minutes yet, and most runs are maybe 5.

Runetracer works pretty well there as well, as there are walls and fairly narrow passages. Magic Wand works well once leveled up a little bit, as it's perfect for kiting groups; autoaiming at the closest enemy is way easier to manage than Knife's direction-you're-moving aim. Just concentrate on avoiding damage, lure enemies away from blue dots and then gobble them up on your return, and focus on leveling one weapon as much as you can.

Once you get to where you can start evolving pairs (Whip/Hollow Heart, Magic Wand/Empty Tome, Runetracer/Armor, Knife/Bracer), getting any of those to level 8 and then collecting a chest will turn you into a murder machine. Likewise for King Bible/Spellbinder; if you get that to its evolved state, very little can get close to you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

delfin posted:

Runetracer works pretty well there as well, as there are walls and fairly narrow passages. Magic Wand works well once leveled up a little bit, as it's perfect for kiting groups; autoaiming at the closest enemy is way easier to manage than Knife's direction-you're-moving aim. Just concentrate on avoiding damage, lure enemies away from blue dots and then gobble them up on your return, and focus on leveling one weapon as much as you can.

Once you get to where you can start evolving pairs (Whip/Hollow Heart, Magic Wand/Empty Tome, Runetracer/Armor, Knife/Bracer), getting any of those to level 8 and then collecting a chest will turn you into a murder machine. Likewise for King Bible/Spellbinder; if you get that to its evolved state, very little can get close to you.

Yeah, I got both the runetracer/armor and bible/spellbinder combos on my last library run.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Axe + Candelabra is another excellent evolution; tons of damage, knockback, and the 8? axes are gigantic which just clears screen after screen.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

hooah posted:

anything can work, default whip dude will slay any stage

if you're having trouble surviving early on, try to avoid diluting your weapon pool too much. having one level 8 weapon is a lot better than three level 3 weapons due to the way weapon upgrades act as a force multiplier to each other, so picking too many new things early on means you will struggle a lot more. when given the choice between picking up a great new weapon or putting a level into a meh passive, sometimes it is better to just pick the meh upgrade, just to avoid diluting your level-up pool with too many things so you can't focus all the level-ups on one weapon. after all, you only see 3 choices each level up so the more items you're carrying the less likely you'll be able to upgrade the ones you want

of course once you get one well upgraded weapon and survive the earlygame you can start branching out more, just don't try to fill all your slots with level 1 weapons 10 minutes in or you'll be toast

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I always thought that you could eventually level up everything, but I had upgrades to go and started getting the "Gold or Food" options. Welp, like the poster above me said, better to specialize.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

I always thought that you could eventually level up everything, but I had upgrades to go and started getting the "Gold or Food" options. Welp, like the poster above me said, better to specialize.

You only get this when you've hit max items or have no more upgrade paths.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Try to get the thing in the second level that unlocks the grimoire so you can get the little icon that shows you items required for evolutions but in the meantime imo just look up an evolution guide and focus on evolving everything. At a certain point you'll be able to make almost anything work as long as you can beeline towards evolutions and don't spread yourself too thin with a full inventory of low level weapons and upgrades that don't evolve those weapons.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

explosivo posted:

Try to get the thing in the second level that unlocks the grimoire so you can get the little icon that shows you items required for evolutions but in the meantime imo just look up an evolution guide and focus on evolving everything. At a certain point you'll be able to make almost anything work as long as you can beeline towards evolutions and don't spread yourself too thin with a full inventory of low level weapons and upgrades that don't evolve those weapons.

counterpoint: do NOT look up anything and have fun* discovering what actually works, that's what I've been doing

*warning, may not actually be fun

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
When you get to the point where your screen is just absolutely flashing colors, enemies are popping in and dying as fast as the game can make them, levels are dinging every three seconds or so, and the phone is basically turning into a portable heating pad, that's what VS is all about.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

m.hache posted:

You only get this when you've hit max items or have no more upgrade paths.

But the other day, a few of my items/weapons still had space left to be upgraded (some are at level 3 or 4, with empty squares showing on the pause screen), and was giving me money or floor chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That can happen if you 'banish' an item, which prevents it from showing up in level up menus for the rest of the run. If you banish an item in the level up menu and then later pick the same item up off the ground, or if you banish an item you're already carrying, the unfilled squares will turn red and it will be impossible to level up any further.