Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, in Canada the whole thing's flip-flopped.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Those poor loving Korean animators who had to animate that poo poo

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://twitter.com/simpsonsqotd/status/1506608624260591616?lang=en

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

And that episode aired 27 years ago this month. That Troy McClure quote is older than some goons here.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I genuinely enjoy watching new Simpsons with my SO just out of the same instinct that makes people rubberneck a car crash.

That's me with my mom and Law & Order SVU. If I had a friend/family member that was interested in The Simpsons on that level, I probably would have started watching again after the Lady Gaga episode.

Oh god, it's people like us keeping these awful shows undeservedly afloat... :cripes:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

You Are A Elf posted:

And that episode aired 27 years ago this month. That Troy McClure quote is older than some goons here.

:stare:

I was in 1st grade when that aired and two generations of people have been born since then

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 16, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

You Are A Elf posted:

I am old enough to have watched it when it aired, not understand any of it, but laugh anyway because my dad laughed at it so therefore it must be funny

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

In just two days, the series premiere turns 33 years old. Bart and I were the same age and school grade at the time.

That “have no fears, we’ve got stories for years!” song is from a 20 year old episode.

I mean, I don’t know the point I’m making here, but maybe it’s time to put this show out to pasture before Julie Kavner becomes the first person to die from hemorrhaged vocal cords.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Ah come one if they can just make it three or four more years the voice emulators will be good enough they can keep the show crawling along for as long as watching sound and images at the same time is a thing!

Don't you want to watch bart get his first VR girlfriend, or Lisa jump on the popular new kid trend of getting your brain transplanted into genetically modified squid-sheep!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dr_rat posted:

With how garbage the writing is in a lot of current era simpsions. Like how are they picking the writers that are so bleh? Like you think there would be a bunch of talented writers that would of loved to of started writing for the Simpsions. Or is it just a case of there is talented writers but the producers/show runners suck any amount of comedy out of them during the script writing process.

They're all Harvard failkids who want it on their resume and have no reason to put in any effort.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Simpsons should be the first fully AI production. The scripts, the voices, the animation... just let AI take over and thy will be done.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

AI>Al

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Looks like those clowns in Congress did it again!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Das Boo posted:

Simpsons should be the first fully AI production. The scripts, the voices, the animation... just let AI take over and thy will be done.

ChatGPT has a few ideas

Write an episode of The Simpsons where Homer tries to write an episode of The Simpsons posted:

Homer Simpson sat at his desk, staring at the blank piece of paper in front of him. He had always dreamed of writing an episode of The Simpsons, but he had never actually tried it before.

"Come on, Homer," he muttered to himself. "You can do this. Just think of a funny idea and run with it."

He picked up his pen and began to brainstorm. After a few minutes, he had a rough outline:

Act 1: Homer gets a wild hair to write an episode of The Simpsons.

Act 2: Homer starts writing, but quickly gets stuck and frustrated.

Act 3: Marge and the kids try to help Homer with his writing, but their suggestions only make things worse.

Act 4: Homer has a breakthrough and comes up with a brilliant idea for the episode.

Act 5: Homer's script is a huge success and he becomes the pride of Springfield.

Homer grinned to himself, feeling confident in his idea. He began to write the script, typing away furiously on his computer.

As he wrote, he started to get more and more into the story. He laughed out loud at his own jokes and was having a great time.

But as the hours ticked by, Homer began to hit a wall. He stared at the screen, trying to come up with the next line, but nothing was coming to him.

"I can't do this," he moaned, throwing his hands up in frustration. "I'm just not cut out to be a writer."

Just then, Marge and the kids walked into the room. "What's going on, Homer?" Marge asked.

"I'm trying to write an episode of The Simpsons, but I'm just not good enough," Homer replied dejectedly.

"Oh, come on now, Homer," Marge said. "You can do this. Let us help you."

The kids nodded in agreement, and together, they sat down to brainstorm ideas for the script. They threw out all sorts of wild ideas, but nothing seemed to click.

Just when they were about to give up, Bart had a brilliant idea. "What if Homer accidentally becomes a superhero and saves Springfield from a giant monster?" he suggested.

Homer's eyes lit up. "That's it!" he exclaimed. "I can work with that."

With renewed enthusiasm, Homer sat down to write the script. And with the help of his family, he was able to finish it in record time.

The next day, he submitted it to the producers of The Simpsons, and to his delight, they loved it. The episode was a huge hit, and Homer became the talk of Springfield.

From then on, Homer was known as the town's resident writing genius, and he continued to pen many more successful episodes of The Simpsons.

Recursive television's worth at least a season

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 16, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

dr_rat posted:

With how garbage the writing is in a lot of current era simpsions. Like how are they picking the writers that are so bleh? Like you think there would be a bunch of talented writers that would of loved to of started writing for the Simpsions. Or is it just a case of there is talented writers but the producers/show runners suck any amount of comedy out of them during the script writing process.

i listened to an interview with a staff writer - admittedly quite a while ago, like.. over 10 years - where he mentioned that the writing team doesn't have much turnover, and something like 80-90% of the staff was made up of the same people for more than a decade. it's pretty tightknit group that's very difficult to get in. and considering he mentioned that a jr. staff writer (meaning someone who just got hired) got paid $500k per season, i could partially understand why.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

dr_rat posted:

In its golden years, the Simpsons had a very high turnover of showrunners and writers. While it was a big Harvard circlejerk, there was also weirdo outsiders like David Mirkin and John Swartzwelder. Having different showrunners every two seasons also kept introducing fresh perspectives and approaches.

A lot of the turnover was because the talented, ambitious writers wanted to leave and create their own projects. Even Matt Groening has created two new shows since. But Al Jean has remained as showrunner for over 20 years. From what I've heard, he's a very nice boss and the studio finds him reliable. But the writers room is now a comfortable dead end. An entire career on one show. If you sort the list of Simpsons writers by number of episodes written, the most prolific are usually from the middle and later seasons.

There's also the rampant nepotism. The Simpsons has always been infested with National Lampooners, but at least they weren't family or the less talented relatives of other writers.

- Al Jean's wife has 11 writing credits.
- Joel H Cohen got a writing gig because his brother wrote Flaming Moes. He now has 36 writing credits.
- Bob Odenkirk's younger brother has 15 writing credits.
- Dan Castellena and his wife have co-written 9 episodes.
- The episode where Smithers comes out as gay was written by a father-son writing duo.

Even if all these people are talented writers, they're not in a position to tell each other that their ideas suck.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
But in the Itchy and Scratchy or Krusty episodes, all the writers acted as if it was the network types who sucked the life out of TV shows?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

What are good cartoons still airing? Bob’s burgers is a joyless slog, lower decks is ok but a bit excessive on substituting references for jokes, Beavis and Butthead’s return was excellent no complaints there but that season is done.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Looks like those clowns in Congress did it again!

How do you keep up with the news like that?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like yolo crystal fantasy but I can't think of much else, got tired of Rick and Morty many many seasons ago

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

American Dad's been really good in the last couple seasons. Worst it's been imo is the season when it moved to TBS.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

FireWorksWell posted:

American Dad's been really good in the last couple seasons. Worst it's been imo is the season when it moved to TBS.

It's so weird -- MOST of the episodes from that season don't even suck outright imho, but the only ones that stand out as good to me are the one where Snot learns karate from that guy whose hero is (pre-president) Joe Biden, the one where the old actress thinks Stan is a reincarnation of her dead husband, and the one where Stan tries to be cool with college kids & fails miserably.

Then the next season is probably in the top three of the entire show for me.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

YeahTubaMike posted:

It's so weird -- MOST of the episodes from that season don't even suck outright imho, but the only ones that stand out as good to me are the one where Snot learns karate from that guy whose hero is (pre-president) Joe Biden, the one where the old actress thinks Stan is a reincarnation of her dead husband, and the one where Stan tries to be cool with college kids & fails miserably.

Then the next season is probably in the top three of the entire show for me.

Yeah looking at the list for 12 the only episodes I didn't like were Fung and the texting episode, but I guess those were bad enough to bring my view on the season down. White Porsche Christmas is one of my all time favorites for instance.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Was Rabbit Ears pre or post TBS? I enjoyed that episode a lot. I’d look myself but the season numbers and what episode belongs where seems different depending on what site you’re on

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, around 2019, I think.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’ve been catching up on the past few seasons of Family Guy long after they’ve aired after having not seen it for a good while, and by Jove, it’s been pretty funny and solid. It’s definitely not something I would admit to liking again, but what I’ve seen has been pretty consistent.

It’s almost like Seth MacFarlane being busy with other projects like The Orville and not giving a poo poo about Family Guy or American Dad! anymore (aside from voice acting) has made both series better.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah looking at the list for 12 the only episodes I didn't like were Fung and the texting episode, but I guess those were bad enough to bring my view on the season down. White Porsche Christmas is one of my all time favorites for instance.

Yeah, American Fung was terrible. Was the texting episode Seizures Suit Stanny? Because that one is terrible too. I don't remember White Porsche Christmas because I tend not to watch Christmas episodes of any show unless it's really close to Christmas...so I guess I have something to do this weekend.

You Are A Elf posted:

I’ve been catching up on the past few seasons of Family Guy long after they’ve aired after having not seen it for a good while, and by Jove, it’s been pretty funny and solid. It’s definitely not something I would admit to liking again, but what I’ve seen has been pretty consistent.

It’s almost like Seth MacFarlane being busy with other projects like The Orville and not giving a poo poo about Family Guy or American Dad! anymore (aside from voice acting) has made both series better.

Yeah, I like post-cancellation Family Guy. This latest episode sucks because the episodes where Brian's douchebaggery is front & center are kind of bleh, but I haven't really had any complaints lately.

edit: missing word

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 16, 2022

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

You Are A Elf posted:

I’ve been catching up on the past few seasons of Family Guy long after they’ve aired after having not seen it for a good while, and by Jove, it’s been pretty funny and solid.

They removed Quagmire.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Did they kill him?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What are good cartoons still airing? Bob’s burgers is a joyless slog, lower decks is ok but a bit excessive on substituting references for jokes, Beavis and Butthead’s return was excellent no complaints there but that season is done.

Bluey is good. A bit toddler centric but the parents are actually really well characterized and they slip in a ton of jokes the target audience has no chance of getting.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Smiling Friends is good

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

hatty posted:

Did they kill him?

Pretty much.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Smiling Friends is top 5 animated shows last 30 years

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Wasn't there a "Stewie and Quagmire have a surprisingly nice time together in Paris" episode sometime very recently?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The man who made Rick and Morty Bushworld Adventures gets a free pass for life

We're going to go to Bendigo, Morty

I've got a real gun Morty. I'm gonna kill you today, Morty. You're actually gonna die! I'm gonna kill you then I'm gonna kill myself!

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Toxic Mental posted:

The man who made Rick and Morty Bushworld Adventures gets a free pass for life

We're going to go to Bendigo, Morty

I've got a real gun Morty. I'm gonna kill you today, Morty. You're actually gonna die! I'm gonna kill you then I'm gonna kill myself!

Anyone who liked that and Smiling Friends would probably do well to dig up the Damo and Darren shorts on YouTube from the same guy.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

MassiveSky posted:

They removed Quagmire.

Yep. I stopped watching the show around the time they started doing the Star Wars parodies (which I looked up was season six) because Quagmire was a sex pest and rapist played up for laughs. Same thing with Herbert the pedophile. No thanks; poo poo’s vile.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Porfiriato posted:

Anyone who liked that and Smiling Friends would probably do well to dig up the Damo and Darren shorts on YouTube from the same guy.

My brother, those are the videos that taught me how to do the Aus accent

Oi Damo oim goin down to the bottleo to get some fourex, give us ya cennuhlink ya cant

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

You Are A Elf posted:

Yep. I stopped watching the show around the time they started doing the Star Wars parodies (which I looked up was season six) because Quagmire was a sex pest and rapist played up for laughs. Same thing with Herbert the pedophile. No thanks; poo poo’s vile.

Yup, I liked the show years ago but not since learning maybe the plan was to say awful stuff to mock vile people, but turns out those folk are some of their biggest fans and are getting life lessons. From Jon Krakauer’s book Missoula:

quote:

The accused rapist, Calvin Smith, had graduated from a small-town high school the previous June, where he'd distinguished himself as an athlete. Individuals who knew Smith have described him as "kind," "easygoing," and "goofy." But he had never had sex before meeting Kaitlynn Kelly, and a look at what he has posted on a social media site suggests that he was a frustrated, involuntary celibate. On January 11, 2011, Smith posted a line from the animated sitcom Family Guy on his Facebook page: "women are not people god just put them here for mans entertainment."

When a Facebook friend commented that the actual line is "Women are not people. They are devices built by the Lord Jesus Christ for our entertainment," Smith replied, "Ahhh I wish I had that power.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

MassiveSky posted:

Pretty much.

Did they replace him with an Italian American sex pest only to bring the real Quagmire back half a season later?