Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I buy records, CDs and tapes!

[edit] I am actually 42 years old!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

For others who answered this question partially, isn't Testro's point more that letting the house drop to say -2 and then trying to get it back up to 15 every morning is more power inefficient than burning a steady stream of heat to get it there once and then maintain that temperature?

Isn't that an insane thing to do though? You still have to live in your house at night even if you're under a blanket, so it should be at a liveable temperature, and as Testro says it doesn't save any money to fluctuate wildly.

The house requires the same amount of heat either way, but it's more efficient to run boilers at lower temperature . That's if you have a modulating boiler, otherwise it should be pretty much exactly the same just way more comfortable to keep it constant.

I guess most people (?) sleep upstairs and heat rises so you could min/max this a little further but doesn't seem worth it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But that's the problem, some people don't realise the cost efficiency to be made there - they see "heating being on" -> "I'm bleeding out the arse to pay bills" and end up freezing themselves.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The last one on that sheet: Dale E Mail as the Hitler Party gave me a giggle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord of the Llamas posted:

What the gently caress is a sausage roll song?

I am assuming it is the vindaloo song with sausage roll instead.

Also gently caress cheapskate supermarkets not putting the heating on. Trying to build displays and I can't feel my loving fingers.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm not gonna click that, but my brain just started playing Vindaloo by Fat Les with the words changed to "sausage roll" and I guess that's probably close enough in spirit

waheyyyy

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I've just been having the heating as on/off all the time. If I want to tell the boiler to just keep it at a set temp and leave it running overnight as well, would that save me money with a combi boiler? What temp should I tell it to go to?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Combi-boiler makes no difference, that just means it heats up tap water as you need it, rather than having a big tank in a cupboard.

The real answer to this is it varies - depending on your insulation, neighbours and so on - the only way to find out is to do the heating both ways and measure how much gas you use.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Gotcha, thank you. What do you think a reasonable temperature is? Somewhere in the 15c area? I suppose I'll just have to test that too.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Building regs I think advises 18 degrees for bedrooms and 21 degrees for living areas but humans are very variable in their preference, and things like drafts make a gigantic difference to perceived temperature.
There are so many variables there's no universal fix to heating strategy, apart from moving into a very modern structure that Persimmon didn't build.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Miftan posted:

Gotcha, thank you. What do you think a reasonable temperature is? Somewhere in the 15c area? I suppose I'll just have to test that too.

That seems pretty chilly tbh. Personally I think 18-20 is a reasonable temperature for rooms you actually live in, if there are bits you aren't in much you can let them drop a bit lower. I think there's some evidence 16 and lower can lead to/worsen respiratory conditions.

e: I'm visiting my folks at the moment and their kitchen is sitting at 14-15 which is not very pleasant. Not by choice though, it's just an old house with crap insulation.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I'm keeping the thermostat around 16-17C which is read from the hallway which is warmest- rest of the house is more like 13-14C or so which is alright, running two dehumidifiers helps keep it a bit comfier

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

16c is my preferred bedroom temperature for sleeping at least, depends how much you feel the cold. I would rather be in a cold room but with a pile of blankets.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I have mine set to 60f most of the time, which looks and sounds a lot warmer than 15.56c

Placebo effecting yourself is fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still have absolutely no intuitive grasp of farenheits, could literally be any temperature.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

OwlFancier posted:

I still have absolutely no intuitive grasp of farenheits, could literally be any temperature.

I moved to the states a while back and had a similar issue until someone suggested thinking “how many percent hot is it?”. That helped

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
6 out of 10 hots ain't bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DeathMuffin posted:

I moved to the states a while back and had a similar issue until someone suggested thinking “how many percent hot is it?”. That helped

I'm afraid that is just introducing a new, even more confusing concept.

I know people say farenheit between 0 and 100 is supposedly a quite human range but my temperature range is like, 0 to 50c, which is apparently 36 to 122 farenheit.

I assume it works better in places where it gets colder than 0 regularly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
My bathroom towel rail oscillates between 18C & 19C so I've kept it on permanently this week.
It turns off at 19.0C and on again at 17.9C. I didn't use it at all last winter!
I definitely notice when my living room goes below 18.5C.

Fahrenheit chat:
As I have quite a lot of American friends, I'm forever having to put dual temps on weather-related posts:

C = (5/9) (F-32)

F= (9/5)C + 32

0C = 32F, 0F = -17.8C

Both temps are the same at -40 (ie minus 40 F = minus 40 C).

80F (26.7C) is beginning to feel uncomfortably hot.

Fahrenheits should get in the sea along with 'cups'. Another thing Americans always go on about instead of nice metric amounts.
Having said that, as a child in the60s, recipes were almost always by volume (usually tablespoons level or heaped) rather than weight so I can kind of understand using volume measurements has a purpose.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 16, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I assume it works better in places where it gets colder than 0 regularly.
It works best in places where it never gets colder than 0 and never gets hotter than 100, because it was invented for meteorology in coastal Europe.

At the time of Fahrenheit's highest use the centigrade scale (as Celsius was) went from water boiling at 0 and freezing at 100 and so made gently caress all sense to anyone.

It's one of those weird quirks that the few places left that still use F aren't the best places for it.

e: ^^ A metric cup is 250ml, there's four in a litre. That's a measure by volume against measure by weight debate rather than a metric vs customary debate.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 16, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At least kilometers is easy enough as you just subtract 1 third to get miles.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

It works best in places where it never gets colder than 0 and never gets hotter than 100, because it was invented for meteorology in coastal Europe.

At the time of Fahrenheit's highest use the centigrade scale (as Celsius was) went from water boiling at 0 and freezing at 100 and so made gently caress all sense to anyone.

It's one of those weird quirks that the few places left that still use F aren't the best places for it.

e: ^^ A metric cup is 250ml, there's four in a litre. That's a measure by volume against measure by weight debate rather than a metric vs customary debate.

Yeah I meant weight but I fell asleep temporarily over my laptop while I was typing. Keep doing that this week!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah I meant weight but I fell asleep temporarily over my laptop while I was typing. Keep doing that this week!

Good reminder to check your CO alarms this holiday season!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Failed Imagineer posted:

Oh god, our one (7 years old) malfunctioned last night and kept giving false alarms (even when outside, at 1am in the middle of the countryside).

Got a brand new one today and it’s registering zero, thank gently caress.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Fortunately, we are a gas-free building. It's just this bad cold (that I have - not the fact that it IS cold).
But yes good to remind everyone!
I had a replacement CO monitor put in a work - the previous one was 5 years out of date.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

With the current weather i have the central heating on continuously and the hall thermostat set to 14C (it goes on for 3-5 minutes every 1/2 hour or so).

Keeps the house acceptably tolerable to move a round in and if i close the living room doors that room goes up to a pleasant 18C.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Really need to fix the drafty front door. I have a beanbag thingy I pop infront of it which helps. Do I just buy some strip things? I put the cat heating mat down today under a blanket and it has become the greatest cuddle pile.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 16, 2022

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

If I had a house in this country if possible I'd install a 2. 5kw mini split system in a bedroom at least. The one we have in the bedroom in our house in a cold part of Australia (down to about - 7 overnight in winter) uses absolutely gently caress all power (about 400 watts) and heats the room in a few minutes. We run it entirely off a solar battery system.

Also has the benefit of being able to cool in summer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anything that closes the gap should help. Draft strips should work but you can use anything as wadding.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
OP should sprinkle some catnip there and let all the felines be the wadding.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I keep having a desire to get one of those thermal cameras and see if I can just go around with a tube of silicone and hermetically seal the house.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Isn't that an insane thing to do though? You still have to live in your house at night even if you're under a blanket, so it should be at a liveable temperature, and as Testro says it doesn't save any money to fluctuate wildly.

The house requires the same amount of heat either way, but it's more efficient to run boilers at lower temperature . That's if you have a modulating boiler, otherwise it should be pretty much exactly the same just way more comfortable to keep it constant.

I guess most people (?) sleep upstairs and heat rises so you could min/max this a little further but doesn't seem worth it.

Technically you should save a bit of money doing this since the amount of heat lost through your house's exterior envelope (walls, windows, doors etc. as well as air leakage) is a function of the temperature difference between inside and outside. Spending more time at a lower temperature means fewer losses from the heat energy you are generating from your boiler, overall.

I'm not sure of the magnitude of this saving, and you should also consider that it's probably gonna be terrible for the maintenance of the house doing this longer term - lots of interior and exterior materials, both of the house itself and e.g. your furniture, plus things like musical instruments, will hate these conditions. Things expand and contract with variations in temperature and also other porous things like wood and plaster hate large swings in humidity, which is something that's probably gonna happen with changing the heating like this, and so it may be the case that lots of things in your house start to crack and fall apart.

In fact, I've thought about it previously - when you see an abandoned house, it goes to absolute poo poo within a few years, starts literally crumbling and falling apart, but if you live in a house, even if you do *zero* maintenance to it, it'll last a lot longer. I think one of the big reasons is that an abandoned house is unheated, and therefore swings sometimes 20°C in a day-night cycle which accelerates the decay.

Edit: Oh yeah the whole thing about maybe the boiler is actually less efficient at lower temperatures? Not sure. I'll ask my wife about it when she's finished work - she's a building scientist looking at home energy efficiency stuff so this should be right up her alley!

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 16, 2022

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I keep having a desire to get one of those thermal cameras and see if I can just go around with a tube of silicone and hermetically seal the house.

It's a good idea. Often local sustainable house groups or whatever will have one you can borrow.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Just Another Lurker posted:

With the current weather i have the central heating on continuously and the hall thermostat set to 14C (it goes on for 3-5 minutes every 1/2 hour or so).

Keeps the house acceptably tolerable to move a round in and if i close the living room doors that room goes up to a pleasant 18C.
With condensing boilers at least, this can come back around to bite you in terms of efficiency.

3-5 mins isn't too bad at all, but if it starts only coming on for 1-2 minutes you can start losing big chunks of efficiency.

Tomberforce posted:

if possible I'd install a 2. 5kw mini split system in a bedroom at least. The one we have in the bedroom in our house in a cold part of Australia (down to about - 7 overnight in winter) uses absolutely gently caress all power (about 400 watts) and heats the room in a few minutes. We run it entirely off a solar battery system.

Also has the benefit of being able to cool in summer.
:same:

I'd much rather install a couple of mini-splits than one huge 12 grand water warmer.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

Use a builder's smoke stick or a natural herbal smoke generator of your choice. You can often just feel drafts with the back of your hand though. I've got masking tape around all my 1990s bodgit and scarper UPVC lovely tilt&turn windows for this reason.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm usually fine for drafts but I have a friend who's in an old victorian terrace so it's got more holes in in than swiss cheese.

I wonder if the loft is even insulated? I don't think she's ever opened it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

What the gently caress is a sausage roll song?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What the gently caress is a LadBaby anyway, it sounds like some medieval Celtic superstition.

Ah, that'll be the fair folk, they've had your son and switched him for a LadBaby. Nothing to do but drown it now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's annoying because when I first saw the name I thought of the kawaii metal band LadyBaby who will perhaps get you weird stares for liking

But at least aren't a bunch of charity song grifters.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I guess they did grow up to be less cringy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The beardy guy split into the two redheads.