Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

eXXon posted:

Buddy, there's a Cael in the WHL:

https://mobile.twitter.com/adamzherman/status/728317545460174849

That's a couple of Kale's short of a salad :rimshot:

If Kash’s middle name ain’t Money why even bother naming your kid that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I kinda feel what you're saying, but if you think Hakstol and Maurice and Torts are running the same system as Cooper and Sullivan, I don't even know how to begin to respond to that

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
was bored at one point last night and watched a bit of a PHF game on espn+ (apparently it was an outdoor game??)

Boy, that league has a way to go. the camera work was like a high school hockey game. constantly off the puck and slow to transition, announcers fumbling names and audio from the ice that sounded like it was from mars. i cant imagine anyone getting into the product with that production value. the WNBA, for all its flaws, actually feels competently produced when you watch it

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/nathangraviteh/status/1603989160913932288?s=46&t=OFXi0zRq0ZnpZCpoASgcGA

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

was bored at one point last night and watched a bit of a PHF game on espn+ (apparently it was an outdoor game??)

Boy, that league has a way to go. the camera work was like a high school hockey game. constantly off the puck and slow to transition, announcers fumbling names and audio from the ice that sounded like it was from mars. i cant imagine anyone getting into the product with that production value. the WNBA, for all its flaws, actually feels competently produced when you watch it

That's because the NBA actively backs the WNBA way more than the NHL does the PHF.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

the talent deficit posted:

xG is a flaky, unreliable stat and you shouldn't really base any kind of serious analysis on it

as for coaching pretty much every coach plays the same system. the only real variations are on how much you dump it in vs carry it in and how accountable coaches hold players for adhering to the system. a coach like boudreau pretty much lets players ignore the system while a coach like tortorella or brind'amour will bench you if you don't do exactly what he thinks you should do. the difference between coaches is almost all down to player usage and how well they can keep the team motivated. tactically there's like zero evidence coaches have any impact except for when some coach introduces a new system and it takes a couple seasons for the league to catch up.

hakstol coaches the same system as everyone else. there's no weird defensive positioning or centers playing too far out or whatever you think causes their goalies to suck. seattle's goalies suck because they play dunn and schwartz and burakovsky and schwartz and benier and a bunch of other poor defensive players a lot and they blow a lot of defensive plays. he's also got like 5 nhl seasons so 'his goalies have underperformed expected almost every season he's coached' isn't really damning

I don't think we're watching the same sport.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I don't think we're watching the same sport.

yeah you're watching the spreadsheets, NEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeEEEEEERD

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

redirected by the shaft

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

Not just the mentioned lack of support from the NHL, but women’s hockey in North America has basically been split in half with the split of PHF and PWHPA. Last I checked, the PHF has the only actual league, but most of the top tier players are boycotting the league. Pretty much all or most of team USA and Canada do not participate in the PHF , which honestly means there’s not gonna be enough talent for the PHF right there, plus you def lose allure that the best players that people actually know like Hillary Knight aren’t there.

This is why you have Canada vs USA okaying like, 5-7 games a year, because while yeah, it’s a fantastic rivalry, everything is in purgatory and they don’t have anything else to do.

IMO it’s a loving mess and huge detriment to women’s ice hockey. Optimally, they should probably just dissolve the PHF , their past decisions and leadership just have it too toxic for the other side to cave and join. Dissolve it, have the NHL come in and lay down better funding , rules etc.

Unfortunately Bettman / the NHL really doesn’t give a gently caress unless it makes a profit, and that’s a huge catch 22 because women’s hockey probably can’t take large steps forward without said investment. Until then, the NHL will just give their token generic bullshit we support women’s hockey statements and use the mess as an excuse not to fund anyone.

And it’s all even more stupid because if you grow women’s hockey, you just might get a lot more women watching hockey, but lol at the NHL thinking ahead.

Edit: to answer the original comment better on watching women’s hockey, yeah it needs better funding and it’s def way slower when you don’t have the best of the best. I highly recommend watching one of the rivalry series games, Canada vs US is just so much faster to watch.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 17, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

And it’s all even more stupid because if you grow women’s hockey, you just might get a lot more women watching hockey, but lol at the NHL thinking ahead.

Last I checked the WNBA still isn't financially self sustaining without the money the NBA's pumping into it, but the NBA unlike the NHL understands this concept.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Last I checked the WNBA still isn't financially self sustaining without the money the NBA's pumping into it, but the NBA unlike the NHL understands this concept.

That sounds right , and honestly I would agree with anyone arguing that women’s hockey just might not be able to be profitable. But yeah, NHL is idiotic because it would indirectly really grow their fan base.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattmurley19/status/1604146065678438400?s=20&t=aGqxaYCX2g1eN9TkhZPfdA

Holy poo poo the balls to even try this

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That was sexy

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

And that ended up being the GWG

It was a real shot to the nuts to lose to Arizona like that.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit: to answer the original comment better on watching women’s hockey, yeah it needs better funding and it’s def way slower when you don’t have the best of the best. I highly recommend watching one of the rivalry series games, Canada vs US is just so much faster to watch.

oh for sure, i am a big fan of watching the womens tourney in the olympics and worlds when i can actually get access to it. Definitely didn't know all that backstory about the PHF, thanks for that

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Very very disrespectful.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/nhladamk/status/1604143214574727169?s=46&t=SNn2AZNFwXYr7jXZelBxxg

At least they’re entertaining to watch off the ice

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Unfortunately Bettman / the NHL really doesn’t give a gently caress unless it makes a profit, and that’s a huge catch 22 because women’s hockey probably can’t take large steps forward without said investment. Until then, the NHL will just give their token generic bullshit we support women’s hockey statements and use the mess as an excuse not to fund anyone.

I can't even blame the NHL for not wanting to get involved at this stage. There was no way they were going to step in the middle of the old CWHL/NWHL international slapfight and at the league level they probably don't want to come in and basically be "you guys don't know what you're doing so let big brother take care of it".

There needs to be some sort of united front from Canada/USA Hockey, the PWHA and PHA with some sort of plan first, even if it's the realization that the current situation sucks rear end and they need to blow everything up and start from scratch, but it needs to come from the women's orgs.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just doing the dumbest poo poo to try and get fired and chuck is just nodding along in agreement.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Eric the Mauve posted:

I kinda feel what you're saying, but if you think Hakstol and Maurice and Torts are running the same system as Cooper and Sullivan, I don't even know how to begin to respond to that

they're not getting the same results or getting their players to adhere to the system to the same extent but they are all trying to accomplish the same basic things. it's not like hakstol has his wingers doing puck retrieval instead of defenseman or using his center as a high rover and tortorella has his left wings playing behind the defense. there's some variation but fundamentally players have the same roles and do the same things on all the teams in the league. what differs is how well you get the players to do it. and i guess if you want to say 'shot blocking at all costs' is a system then tortorella is running a different system. the last real 'system' introduced in the nhl was the neutral zone trap and all teams have aligned on a modified version of the trap ever since. there isn't a single team in the league that (intentionally) gives up the neutral zone or declines to aggressively defend zone entries

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

oh for sure, i am a big fan of watching the womens tourney in the olympics and worlds when i can actually get access to it. Definitely didn't know all that backstory about the PHF, thanks for that

Yeah, and the PHF has a bunch of history of loving things up, they cut pay a few years back, so it’s a lot of distrust. Put it this way, PHF had to change their entire name to try and make it less toxic.

pseudodragon posted:

I can't even blame the NHL for not wanting to get involved at this stage. There was no way they were going to step in the middle of the old CWHL/NWHL international slapfight and at the league level they probably don't want to come in and basically be "you guys don't know what you're doing so let big brother take care of it".

There needs to be some sort of united front from Canada/USA Hockey, the PWHA and PHA with some sort of plan first, even if it's the realization that the current situation sucks rear end and they need to blow everything up and start from scratch, but it needs to come from the women's orgs.

I mean, good point for sure , but if the NHL participated from day 1 it’s possible it’s not the poo poo show it currently is.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Re the 84 game season, I thought I remembered that as a kid and apparently they did it in the 90s for a couple years wth 2 games at neutral sites.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Re the 84 game season, I thought I remembered that as a kid and apparently they did it in the 90s for a couple years wth 2 games at neutral sites.

Flyers already play most of their games this season in the neutral zone , although that’s if they’re lucky and having a good game.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

this ftw

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Two points, two tips

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hmmm

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

I'm seein' double here, three bad teams

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Good Caps win.

Samsonov looked like Samsonov.

TJ Oshie’s body failed him and he’s out injured once again…

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, good point for sure , but if the NHL participated from day 1 it’s possible it’s not the poo poo show it currently is.

I don't know if there was a point in history, even with the best of intentions where the NHL could have spearheaded a women's league because they can't be the ones answering the questions of how are the teams, and more importantly he money, going to be split between Canada and the US, without causing an international incident.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Devils schedule is brutal coming up, I do hope they can get some W's in the next set of games.

Carolina/Florida back to back, Boston twice in a row, in Pittsburgh, then Carolina again.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Rangers win 6 in a row, Devils lose 5 in a row....

https://youtu.be/D9UzH7Odt20

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1604286093112868867?s=20&t=rb7OFAj7HQA4j-jjRgWFaQ

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Selfless of Oshie to put himself on LTIR so Wilson and Backstrom can come back without screwing up the salary cap situation.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'm obviously madder about this than usual because Barkov didn't come back after it, but I do want to ask the thread: is this a dirty hit?

https://twitter.com/BarryARothman/status/1604290279187841025

It's not what I commonly think of a dirty hit, but it does feel like deliberate targeting of Barkov's lower body in a very dangerous way. Still would like to hear from everyone else if it's just frustration about Barkov's injury or if it is dirty.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Mark stone probably just had his Achilles explode

Just happened and obviously no actual idea on the severity but it looked pretty drat bad

E: and he's back in the game in the quickest recovery from a ruptured achielles that I could ever remember

Iodised QQ fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 18, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pungry posted:

I'm obviously madder about this than usual because Barkov didn't come back after it, but I do want to ask the thread: is this a dirty hit?

flagrantly dirty, wow. What did Barkov do to him?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I went to Buffalo's roster page to see their team stats for the year and wondered if goaltending was an issue and there's Craig Fuckin' Anderson rising like a 41-year old phoenix like he did a couple years ago in DC with a 6-4-1 record, .922, and 2.66GAA at 41 years old.

(Their other goalies are 3.5+ GAA, I think, I didn't pay that much attention, I was just happy to see Craig Anderson still kicking around and doing well-ish.)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
VGK gotta start winning at home you stupid fucks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pungry posted:

https://twitter.com/BarryARothman/status/1604290279187841025

It's not what I commonly think of a dirty hit, but it does feel like deliberate targeting of Barkov's lower body in a very dangerous way. Still would like to hear from everyone else if it's just frustration about Barkov's injury or if it is dirty.

That isn’t dirty. Just bad luck. Barkov lifted his stick with his own stick and caused him to fall forward into his knee. He didn’t crosscheck the knee.