Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PeterWeller posted:

Elon genuinely envisions becoming idiot king of Mars Colony 1. Everything he buys is, he thinks, a step towards making that vision a reality. SpaceX gets him there. The Boring Company digs the tunnels he lives in. Starlink gives him a stable communications system. Twitter gives him a "public square" that he wholly owns and controls.

He's gonna get Red Factioned sooo hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISnTECX8Eg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Musk ran out of the live chat room after just over a minute.

And after he got driven out of the live chat and told them to stop complaining about it he posted this:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1603609466301059073

This has an hour left to go and it's already at 58% "Unban Now". If Musk had thought about bringing in his bots and stans to tip the poll, it's not happening now.

I am wondering if he's even going to remember this.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Young Freud posted:

This has an hour left to go and it's already at 58% "Unban Now". If Musk had thought about bringing in his bots and stans to tip the poll, it's not happening now.

I am wondering if he's even going to remember this.

He's waiting so he can ban everyone who votes "Now".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gyges posted:

He's waiting so he can ban everyone who votes "Now".

That's more than half of Twitter users (who care enough to vote) at this point, should really juice the income and metrics

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I believe it was pointed out in this thread or one of the others, but frankly, if I was an amoral monster corporation I'd be even more interested in advertising on Twitter now than I was in the past. Yeah, you're giving money to fascists - but you're a big capitalist business, you already do that. What Musk is doing, entirely by accident, is curating a platform entirely populated by the dumbest and most gullible motherfuckers on the internet.

He's making sure the people on Twitter are the ones most receptive to advertising. Granted it's entirely by accident, but still.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Not sure if this is the right thread, but according to the NY Times, Musk still has his admirers. They sound like horrible people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/16/technology/elon-musk-management-style.html

quote:

Elon Musk, Management Guru?

by Kevin Roose
Dec. 16, 2022

It may seem obvious, to most people outside Silicon Valley, that Elon Musk’s ownership of Twitter has been an unmitigated disaster.

In less than two months since taking over, Mr. Musk has fired more than half of Twitter’s staff, scared away many of its major advertisers, made (and unmade) a series of ill-advised changes to its verification program, angered regulators and politicians with erratic and offensive tweets, declared a short-lived war on Apple, greenlit a bizarre “Twitter Files” exposé, stopped paying rent on Twitter’s offices, and falsely accused the company’s former head of trust and safety of supporting pedophilia. His personal fortune has shrunk by billions of dollars, and he was booed at a Dave Chappelle show.

It’s not, by almost any measure, going well for him. And yet, one group is still firmly in Mr. Musk’s corner: Bosses.

In recent weeks, many tech executives, founders and investors have expressed their admiration for Mr. Musk, even as the billionaire has flailed at Twitter.

Reed Hastings, the chief executive of Netflix, praised Mr. Musk at a New York Times DealBook conference late last month, calling him “the bravest, most creative person on the planet.”

Gavin Baker, a private equity investor, recently claimed that a lot of venture-funded chief executives were “inspired by Elon.”

And several partners at Andreessen Horowitz, the influential venture capital firm, have tweeted similar encomia to Mr. Musk’s management style.

Some of the elite cheerleading probably boils down to class solidarity, or naked financial self-interest. (Andreessen Horowitz, for example, invested $400 million in Mr. Musk’s Twitter takeover.) And some of it may reflect leftover good will from Mr. Musk’s successes at Tesla and SpaceX.

But as I’ve called around to C-suite executives and influential investors in Silicon Valley over the past few weeks, I’ve been surprised by how many are rooting for Mr. Musk — even if they won’t admit to it publicly.

Mr. Musk’s defenders point out that Twitter hasn’t collapsed or gone offline despite losing thousands of employees, as some critics predicted it would. They see his harsh management style as a necessary corrective, and they believe he will ultimately be rewarded for cutting costs and laying down the law.

“He says the things many C.E.O.s wish they could say, and then he actually does them,” said Roy Bahat, a venture capitalist with Bloomberg Beta.

Mr. Bahat, who has criticized some of Mr. Musk’s moves, characterized his Twitter tenure as a “living natural experiment” — a divisive but illuminating window into what other executives might be able to get away with, if they tried.

“He’s giving people a lot more knowledge of what’s possible,” he said.

Tech elites don’t simply support Mr. Musk because they like him personally or because they agree with his anti-woke political crusades. (Although a number do.)

Rather, they view him as the standard-bearer of an emergent worldview they hope catches on more broadly in Silicon Valley.

The writer John Ganz has called this worldview “bossism” — a belief that the people who build and run important tech companies have ceded too much power to the entitled, lazy, overly woke people who work for them and need to start clawing it back.

In Mr. Ganz’s telling, Silicon Valley’s leading proponents of bossism — including Mr. Musk and the financiers Marc Andreessen and Peter Thiel — are seizing an opportunity to tug the tech industry’s culture sharply to the right, taking leftist workers and worker-sympathizers down a peg while reinstating themselves and their fellow bosses to their rightful places atop the totem pole.

Some Musk sympathizers do view things in such stark, politicized terms. The writer and crypto founder Antonio García Martínez, for example, has hailed Mr. Musk’s Twitter takeover as “a revolt by entrepreneurial capital” against the “ESG grifters” and “Skittles-hair people” who populate the rank and file at companies like Twitter.

But while some tech C.E.O.s might blame a sleeper cell of gender-studies majors for their problems, many of Mr. Musk’s elite fans adhere to a more straightforward, business-school kind of bossism. They admire him for ruling Twitter with an iron fist and making the kinds of moves that tech executives have resisted for fear of alienating workers — cutting jobs, stripping away perks, punishing internal dissenters, resisting diversity and inclusion efforts, and forcing employees back to the office.

These bossists believe that for the past decade or so, a booming tech industry and a talent shortage forced many C.E.O.s to make unreasonable concessions. They spoiled workers with perks like lavish meals and kombucha on tap. They agreed to use workplace chat apps like Slack, which flattened office hierarchies and gave junior workers a way to directly challenge leadership. They bent over backward to give in to worker demands — D.E.I. workshops, flexible remote work policies, company wellness days — to keep them happy and prevent them from jumping ship to a competitor.

Then, Elon Musk showed up at Twitter, and refused to do any of that. Instead of trying to ingratiate himself with Twitter’s workers, Mr. Musk fired many of them and dared the rest to quit — forcing them to attest that they were “extremely hard core” if they wanted to keep their jobs. He had done some of this before at his other companies. But at Twitter, he did it all out in the open, using his Twitter account as a cudgel to keep workers in line.

Twitter’s former leaders, steeped in the conciliatory style of boom-time management, had allowed for an atmosphere of open debate and discussion — one of the company’s core values was “communicate fearlessly to build trust” — but Mr. Musk replaced that with a culture of absolute fealty. He dressed down Twitter employees in public, and fired any who dared to criticize him. He was especially dismissive of the company’s diversity and inclusion efforts — mocking an old “Stay Woke” T-shirt found in a Twitter closet and disbanding the company’s employee resource groups (including groups for Black, L.G.B.T.Q. and female employees).

For many people, Mr. Musk’s moves seemed like a case study in how not to manage a company. But for some Silicon Valley elites, they were a lightning bolt — a long-awaited answer to the question, “What if we just treated workers … worse?”

Bosses may not agree with every move Mr. Musk makes, but many of them think he’s right on the big-picture stuff. Tech companies are bloated and unproductive. Woke H.R. departments have gone too far. Workers should stop being activists and focus on doing their jobs.

Mr. Musk is not the first tech leader to air these views. Companies like Coinbase, Kraken and Basecamp have all tried to limit employee activism in recent years, with debatable results. (More recently, Meta barred workers from discussing “disruptive” topics like abortion and gun rights on workplace forums.)

What’s different now is the backdrop. For the first time in nearly two decades, economic pressures have cut into the tech industry’s profits and companies that once spared no expense to keep workers happy are trimming their sails and conducting layoffs. Executives with sagging stock prices are declaring themselves “wartime C.E.O.s,” and workers who could have credibly threatened to leave their jobs for cushier ones a year ago are now hanging on for dear life.

All of this has shifted leverage away from workers and toward bosses.

“When a job market loosens, the attention that management places on employee desires — whether workplace perks or better D.E.I. — can wane, simply because they have less need to offer those things to recruit or retain,” said Margaret O’Mara, a history professor at the University of Washington who has written about Silicon Valley’s labor culture.

In other words, Mr. Musk has picked the right time to start a management revolution. Now, the question is: How many bosses will follow him into the fire?

This did make me think of all the times I've visited tech offices and wondered how long all the goodies will last. I guess a high interest rate environment and a real questioning of things like online ad efficacy is going to be a big test.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eric Cantonese posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but according to the NY Times, Musk still has his admirers. They sound like horrible people.

This did make me think of all the times I've visited tech offices and wondered how long all the goodies will last. I guess a high interest rate environment and a real questioning of things like online ad efficacy is going to be a big test.

Also, he’s only done all these things without breaking Twitter so far

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Can a mod make a poll for me?

When Aaron Sorkin writes the scene for yesterday’s ban wave will it be:

1) Musk screaming at a peon “DO SOMETHING!”

2) Musk in tears agonizing over each click of the ban button, muttering “why won’t they play with me, mommy?” While Air on a G string plays in the background and heavy raindrops fall on the windows

3) Musk gleefully making the sound of a shotgun cocking as he pulls up each account, then vocalizing “boom” as he clicks the ban button

4) Musk having a very fast conversation with several different people as he walks down endless hallways ending with him announcing he’s “fixed the problem”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Old James posted:

2) Musk in tears agonizing over each click of the ban button, muttering “why won’t they play with me, mommy?” While Air on a G string plays in the background and heavy raindrops fall on the windows

3) Musk gleefully making the sound of a shotgun cocking as he pulls up each account, then vocalizing “boom” as he clicks the ban button

4) Musk having a very fast conversation with several different people as he walks down endless hallways ending with him announcing he’s “fixed the problem”

All of those things actually happened though...

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Also, he’s only done all these things without breaking Twitter so far

There's little reason to think Twitter will break at any point in the future. Twitter has been implementing changes and underwent a major stress test vis a vis the World Cup and everything has been running very well. I expected the wheels to come off quickly, too, but I'm forced to admit that Elon seems to have trimmed the fat quite efficiently.

It's telling that computer janitors--who have a vested interest in the matter--are the only ones claiming that Twitter is going to collapse without a bloated army of developers on payroll.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

thanks NY times for C-Suite people are the dumbest shits alive.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Oh my God his mom is now defending him in the comments

https://twitter.com/mayemusk/status/1603774945066090499

And this isn't the first time she's defending him!

https://twitter.com/mayemusk/status/1527052523898560513

https://twitter.com/mayemusk/status/1527069052488785920

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Old James posted:

No checkbox, didn't vote

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I believe it was pointed out in this thread or one of the others, but frankly, if I was an amoral monster corporation I'd be even more interested in advertising on Twitter now than I was in the past. Yeah, you're giving money to fascists - but you're a big capitalist business, you already do that. What Musk is doing, entirely by accident, is curating a platform entirely populated by the dumbest and most gullible motherfuckers on the internet.

He's making sure the people on Twitter are the ones most receptive to advertising. Granted it's entirely by accident, but still.

Most companies aren’t looking to specifically sell to a (much smaller) population of dumb gullible people.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Discendo Vox posted:

Most companies aren’t looking to specifically sell to a (much smaller) population of dumb gullible people.

It will definitely become a magnet for scams though

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, just look at the ads in the margins on fox news articles to see who will be attracted to twitter for ad space.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It honestly seems more conspiracy brained to think the boring company is just a drug addled gently caress up and not an active scam to get money and interest from local governments and investors and then ghost them. https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musk-boring-company-tunnel-traffic-11669658396

One requires Musk to be this victim of himself who somehow bumbles into running a company for multiple years in a drug addiction fog. The other is a scammer committing scams. Dude just seems like a malicious scammer who views everyone else as resources.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Edit: quote isn't edit

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

"I really admire Wile E. Coyote. For too long we've been bending over backwards to worker demands like 'gravity is a fundamental force' and 'maintaining basic situational awareness'. He’s giving people a lot more knowledge of what’s possible."

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 17, 2022

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

There's little reason to think Twitter will break at any point in the future. Twitter has been implementing changes and underwent a major stress test vis a vis the World Cup and everything has been running very well. I expected the wheels to come off quickly, too, but I'm forced to admit that Elon seems to have trimmed the fat quite efficiently.

It's telling that computer janitors--who have a vested interest in the matter--are the only ones claiming that Twitter is going to collapse without a bloated army of developers on payroll.

Oh god don't buy into this nonsense. Any idiot can walk into any organization and "trim the fat" and things will limp along okay for a bit. Then the problems start building up, the competent people get tired of cleaning up messes and leave and poo poo collapses. Or, more often, management sheepishly rebuilds all the groups they purged when they find out that yeah maybe we need an HR team and okay fine, one lone security guard can't safely cover the whole building and pretty quickly you end up right back where you started.

My hospital loves purging social workers every few years because they don't generate money. My wife's hospital purges their rapid response team and float pool every few years. It's always brilliant cost saving and they always get rebuilt once people realize that there was a reason we hired those people in the first place.

It's an old consultant/management strategy because you look like a genius when expenses fall and you make sure you're on to your next gig when people realize your cost savings generated more costly problems a year or two later than anyone ever saved.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

not an active scam to get money and interest from local governments and investors and then ghost them.

you don't actually get any money for bidding on a proposal and then failing to do anything. that's a critical piece missing from this argument, the part where boring company earns any revenue at all (it doesn't)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gumball Gumption posted:

One requires Musk to be this victim of himself who somehow bumbles into running a company for multiple years in a drug addiction fog. The other is a scammer committing scams. Dude just seems like a malicious scammer who views everyone else as resources.

Who said anything about drugs? You don't need drugs to be so rich nobody tells you your ideas are stupid until you've stood up a subsidiary to try to implement them

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The thing is that the Boring Company doesn't actually spend that much money, relatively, and much of what they do spend goes right into Musk's other companies.

Their test tunnels are on SpaceX property. Their Loop vehicles are Teslas. They bought a small - and relatively cheap - tunnel boring machine instead of a full-sized one, and they've got basically no tunnel projects right now.

They've still got fixed costs like office space and employees, of course, but the Boring Company raised $675 million in venture capital funding earlier this year, so they can afford to run at a loss for quite a while if they're not actually pouring money into Hyperloop R&D.

The thing is that Elon's business empire is so interweaved that it's fine if half of it is losing money as long as they're somehow boosting the other half, either by directly buying stuff from his other companies or by getting his name in the news as the super smart genius man you should buy a bunch of TSLA stock from.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
What were the biggest warning signs with musk BEFORE the whole pedo diver accusation? There were many but which ones were the most pertinent to the creature we now have on display?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kavros posted:

What were the biggest warning signs with musk BEFORE the whole pedo diver accusation? There were many but which ones were the most pertinent to the creature we now have on display?

Hoarding depraved amounts of wealth while billions live in poverty

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kavros posted:

When he ousted the founder of Tesla and then stole the first Roaster off the line that was earmarked for him. He later sent this car into space.

The real founder of Tesla has Roadster #2

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 17, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FCKGW posted:

Roaster

Honestly would be a better name :tesla:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Suing in Court to be able to legally lie about being a "founder" of Tesla when he didn't found poo poo.

Also he's lied about his college education for years, claiming he had a physics degree or some other weird poo poo. He's a compulsive liar that got rich and now that the house of cards has started to fall, I'm willing to bet a bunch of other heinous poo poo will eventually come out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Apartheid safrican white guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LBCkW0kz2E

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hoarding depraved amounts of wealth while billions live in poverty

Plenty of people manage to do this without becoming the laughingstock of the internet

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

haveblue posted:

Plenty of people manage to do this without becoming the laughingstock of the internet

Nevertheless, it's a clear sign of a depraved mind, nothing after that should be too surprising

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Kavros posted:

In terms of business acumen (or lack thereof), probably getting ousted from X.com (Paypal precursor) twice in a short period of time - the first time due to inexperience, the second because he made a series of terrible decisions that destroyed morale.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Shooting Blanks posted:

In terms of business acumen (or lack thereof), probably getting ousted from X.com (Paypal precursor) twice in a short period of time - the first time due to inexperience, the second because he made a series of terrible decisions that destroyed morale.

Man, good thing he's clearly learned so much about business leadership in the intervening years!

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
There's a few coworkers and others.i know who are laughing at Elon musk (appropriately), and the detractors are shaken. As much as this is big dumb spectacle, hope it helps shatter meritocracy thinking.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BRJurgis posted:

There's a few coworkers and others.i know who are laughing at Elon musk (appropriately), and the detractors are shaken. As much as this is big dumb spectacle, hope it helps shatter meritocracy thinking.

All known history of fail sons, rich man hubris, and economy imploding gently caress ups suggest you shouldn't hold your breath. I mean, we hosed up a whole nation's economy via flowers and still can't get enough of dumb gently caress financial instruments.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

"It's telling that the experts in a matter are the only ones making the prediction" probably isn't what you meant to say but it's exactly what you said.

Twitter is a complicated system and when you cut out a good portion of the people who maintain that system without replacing them you're going to see decay. That decay just takes time. It's not like it's been getting better.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BRJurgis posted:

All the Musk fans around me are shut down or mocked. Shame works. Wink wink.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

"It's telling that the experts in a matter are the only ones making the prediction" probably isn't what you meant to say but it's exactly what you said..

Well the predictions were obviously very wrong. 'Local' forecasters confidently predicted that Twitter would crash within the month. When it became very clear that their predictions would not come true, they changed their story, and avoided addressing the original incorrect prediction.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
People on internet forums saying dumb things isn't really newsworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

"It's telling that the experts in a matter are the only ones making the prediction" probably isn't what you meant to say but it's exactly what you said.

Twitter is a complicated system and when you cut out a good portion of the people who maintain that system without replacing them you're going to see decay. That decay just takes time. It's not like it's been getting better.

Developers are technicians responsible for carrying out their assigned coding tasks, they dont really know what it takes to keep a massive website running for the long term. They certainly wouldn't be considered the 'experts' in something like this. In fact, their failed predictions of doom and imminent collapse suggest that they know less than a layperson.

Also, updates and changes are being successfully implemented (premium memberships, removal of device identification) .. whether or not Twitter is getting 'better' is a matter of opinion but its evolving and certainly not decaying.