Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

I am sick of loud banging noises, play something traditional like them marching bands with the big man at the end with a big drum on his belly and the man with the two big cymbals.

Queues up Marseillaise in English.

Not like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kecske posted:

what could be more traditionally british than a balding fat man banging a drum

two playing out of time because they're both determined they're right and the other one is loving it up

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

A balding fat man banging a sheep

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kecske posted:

slapping their own stretch marked bellies

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
'Tis the season!

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1603064588223893505

:negative:

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

One for the Desolation thread, if we had one.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

it's fine it just "became available" at the right time. please ask no further questions

https://twitter.com/oolon/status/1604224162708480001

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Everyone in LGB Alliance has a story they can tell that ends "...and they just stopped talking to me, for no reason!"

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

As far as anti-Tory Christmas songs go, I think this is the best one.

https://twitter.com/gracepetrie/status/1603729292164210692?s=20&t=4F1ENkvQatw58U8JD2xfKw

Also calls out Labour for being shite.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I am sick of loud banging noises, play something traditional like them marching bands with the big man at the end with a big drum on his belly and the man with the two big cymbals.

And a Happy Overture Day, one and all! May all your overtures be loud and noisy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoNvCwnK1Ls&t=242s

(Timed to start at the explosions).

What about that then, eh? That's heavy metal!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And a Happy Overture Day, one and all! May all your overtures be loud and noisy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoNvCwnK1Ls&t=242s

(Timed to start at the explosions).

What about that then, eh? That's heavy metal!

I confess I prefer his lesser known son PDQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVehnkc68M

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

There is no ska cover of either song on Youtube

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Mail today is claiming there will now be rolling blackouts this winter and it’s all the fault of… wait for it.. Met Office staff working from home. They also claim Meghan killed the Queen.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

smellmycheese posted:

The Mail today is claiming there will now be rolling blackouts this winter and it’s all the fault of… wait for it.. Met Office staff working from home. They also claim Meghan killed the Queen.

That's ridiculous. We all know Truss became PM for the sole purpose of personally assassinating the Queen, but everyone is too afraid to say it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope she did it by dropping from the ceiling dressed as a kuroko before pipetting one drop of a rare poison into her ear and backflipping out through a window.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

I had a glance at the article, and Jacob Rees Mog is mad at the met office for not predicting this cold snap... in October, when they presented their seasonal outlook to the government.

Can't believe workshy WFH public servants can't read 2 months into the future.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Of course it's Rees-Mogg, anything that can be turned into an attack on WFH is invariably him.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Of course it's Rees-Mogg, anything that can be turned into an attack on WFH is invariably him.

JRM is definitely a test case for implementing the Call of Duty 'prestige' system on people with too much money. There, you get to start from £0 again but now you have a little badge! Have fun!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Hey if you don't like reading posh white men openly fantasising about violence and humiliation towards women, I wouldn't read the Sun. More so than usual.

https://twitter.com/SunApology/status/1604126273571377153?s=19

Heavy "I'm wanking as I write this" Vibes off Clarkson.

Oh, and complaining about racism in the UK ruling class makes you worse than a guy who got caught being a paedophile who dealt in trafficked women.

https://twitter.com/SunApology/status/1604388426974887941?s=19

The UK Press and ruling class are psychotic.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I googled 'Daily Mail blackouts' (hoping someone had posted the article so I don't need to give them traffic) and the very first result was "Government documents reveal how blackouts will be managed" and the third was "National Grid boss warns households to prepare for blackouts". Both of these articles were published in October.

The National Grid has always had an emergency plan and if anyone would like to see it it's online: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/995049/esec-guidance.pdf. Look at Appendix 1 to see when your area will have blackouts.

You'll need to know your load block letter to make sense of it, and you can find that out here: https://www.powercut105.com/findoperator.

Local councils will have disaster planning teams that involve various utility and charity organisations, and they will be quietly doing their jobs in the background even as the Government is claiming to be shocked and appalled at news that is several months old.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 18, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

I googled 'Daily Mail blackouts' (hoping someone had posted the article so I don't need to give them traffic) and the very first result was "Government documents reveal how blackouts will be managed" and the third was "National Grid boss warns households to prepare for blackouts". Both of these articles were published in October.

The National Grid has always had an emergency plan and if anyone would like to see it it's online: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/995049/esec-guidance.pdf. Look at Appendix 1 to see when your area will have blackouts.

You'll need to know your load block letter to make sense of it, and you can find that out here: https://www.powercut105.com/findoperator.

Local councils will have disaster planning teams that involve various utility and charity organisations, and they will be quietly doing their jobs in the background even as the Government is claiming to be shocked and appalled at news that is several months old.

Thanks, this is really useful. As my block of flats is over 55s and most residents are in their 80s, we just put a blanket, wind-up torch and folding chair in the lift in case there's a powercut (or other breakdown) while someone is using it. There is an emergency light in there but it is very feeble and also they run out after 3 hours anyway. There's a phone in there too.

Be useful to be able to be aware of when shutdowns might occur (and when yours truly will be subject to lots of loud hammering on my door because naturally as Chair of the residents' management co and youngest by a lot of years, I'm also considered to be repairperson, handyperson, electrician, washing machine repair person, lost property office, policeperson, judge & jury, keyholder for resident with onset dementia who keeps locking herself out and claiming people are breaking in to her flat and stealing her little woolly hats, etc.)

So am I reading this right, Level 18 is total blackout for the whole country? And level 1 is the lightest schedule.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 18, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks, this is really useful. As my block of flats is over 55s and most residents are in their 80s, we just put a blanket, wind-up torch and folding chair in the lift in case there's a powercut (or other breakdown) while someone is using it.

What, and no book? What are they supposed to do, have a wank?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lady Demelza posted:

Thanks for this, really helpful.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Bit unfair to chuck all my area's power cuts at the weekend when A-H get all theirs during work time :colbert:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Microplastics posted:

Sit in the dark and think of better times.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

I hope she did it by dropping from the ceiling dressed as a kuroko before pipetting one drop of a rare poison into her ear and backflipping out through a window.

Guavanaut. I want you to look deep into your heart of hearts. Do you think Liz Truss is capable of doing anything complicated as required in that scenerio?

I mean, I could see her managing to fall out a window on her own.

Unless you think Jo Swinson found Ricardo Montalbán's sonic device for turning people into assassins and used it on Truss.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Not so, I'm block D and I'd lose my Sunday evening, how dare they

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Microplastics posted:

There isn't enough light to read by though I had thought of putting a couple of magazines in there "Woman's Weekly" or "Peoples' Friend" rather than Razzle or Fiesta Reader's Wives.

Actually just thought - most of them will have lived through WW2 so sitting in a dark lift might remind them of being in the Anderson shelters.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, level 18 is complete power outage for weeks at a time for the whole country. The distribution and incremental increases for blackouts is very fair and the way the load blocks are distributed means you may not be too far from places with power (for the early levels). For example I looked up my house, workplace, and the pizza takeaway on some junk mail, and for lower levels there's no overlap.

Toilets don't flush forever in power cuts but you can pee in a bucket of kitty litter and save flushes for solid waste.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 18, 2022

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

Yes, level 18 is complete power outage for weeks at a time for the whole country. The distribution and incremental increases for blackouts is very fair and the way the load blocks are distributed means you may not be too far from places with power (for the early levels). For example I looked up my house, workplace, and the pizza takeaway on some junk mail, and for lower levels there's no overlap.

Toilets don't flush forever in power cuts but you can pee in a bucket of litter and save flushes for solid waste.

Level 18 is worse than what Ukraine's going through right now so if it happens to us without the assistance of Russian cruise missiles it would truly be a feat for the ages.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So at what point do we start to use the words 'failed state?'

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Bobby Deluxe posted:

So at what point do we start to use the words 'failed state?'

Don’t worry. Only a couple of years to endure before Keith and Wes step in to fix things

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I suspect there's going to be a lot of localised flooding in the next day or so, what with persistent heavy rain plus a whole bunch of snow melting across the country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Brexit: we will see sunlit uplands
Brexit: there will be adequate food
Brexit: you can pee in a bucket of litter and save flushes for solid waste

The Question IRL posted:

Guavanaut. I want you to look deep into your heart of hearts. Do you think Liz Truss is capable of doing anything complicated as required in that scenerio?

I mean, I could see her managing to fall out a window on her own.
No Meghan Markle is the competent ninja assassin, being as the press seem to think she's both a useless bitter woman and a scheming mastermind.

Liz Truss is the one who walks in carrying a teapot just after Meghan has left, trips over a corgi, and starts a chain of events that end in a dozen bowling balls of varying colours rolling off of a shelf onto the queen's head.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Brexit: pee into a flowerpot and use the flowerpot to heat your home

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I only have an electric radiator, no central heating. I've just been living in my bedroom the last couple of weeks - the living room has most of my books/DVDs/etc, it's not damp in there but it's like walking through really cold air whenever I go in. Will this eventually damage my books and things I have in there? Should I move the most meaningful stuff into my bedroom?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The Hausu Usher posted:

I only have an electric radiator, no central heating. I've just been living in my bedroom the last couple of weeks - the living room has most of my books/DVDs/etc, it's not damp in there but it's like walking through really cold air whenever I go in. Will this eventually damage my books and things I have in there? Should I move the most meaningful stuff into my bedroom?

It might damage the books and the paper on the DVDs, if the room gets humid enough. Depends on your specific circumstance but if you're concerned enough to make a post like this you should probably move your meaningful stuff so long as you're not putting yourself out.

I have some comics that are signed and I've moved them to a place that is cool and dry, just to be safe.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just buy a giant sack of silica gel and shove it next to the important stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Plus you can pee in it and save flushes for solid waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!