Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
im definitely trying for the cosmic wings, dozens of grifts and 6 or so ancient puzzles later and Ive gotten 4 pets but no wings. its early though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

kliras posted:

they basically spent most of their recent presentation talking about the ways you can spend money in the game, without getting too into mtx for now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFCoT74wL0

sounds like monetization was the first thing they focused on figuring out. be nice if there's a non-awful game attached as well

Seems significant that the way they're trying to build hype/sales conspicuously avoids actually showing game footage except for a few minutes in the middle

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 18, 2022

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

im definitely trying for the cosmic wings, dozens of grifts and 6 or so ancient puzzles later and Ive gotten 4 pets but no wings. its early though

I did speedruns on 85 since level didn't seem to matter and pulled two pets out of 60-something rifts. I guess at least they drop bounty mats, so there's that.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I would love to have another great Diablo game I love but I just can't find a reason to think that will happen. I think that's what I'd need, is any kind of indication that could justify thinking, "maybe this will be good." But it doesn't exist.

I am going to try some D2R mods that gradenko2000 posted in the D2R thread though, apparently there are some cool ones

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Diablo 1 is a decent option if nostalgia's the goal. It's slow, but also not that big of a game so by the time it becomes a slog you're basically done. And it's more atmospheric than anything that came later in the series.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I would love to have another great Diablo game I love but I just can't find a reason to think that will happen. I think that's what I'd need, is any kind of indication that could justify thinking, "maybe this will be good." But it doesn't exist.

Definitely agree. I have yet to see true enthusiasm from anyone who's tried the closed beta stuff, and the blizzard promotion of the game is really really concerning. Lots of "the monetization is gonna be fine!" and very little "look at this awesome gameplay"

I'll buy it if it's a good game, but I'm definitely gonna wait and see, and I honestly expect to be buying d4 after the expansion that "fixes" it, if they ever get around to making one instead of putting all their effort into infinite battlepass bullshit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Chronicon is 2D Diablo 3. It's cheap and great and plays awesome on steam deck to boot.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
I just don't understand why D4 looks like they turned saturation to 0%. It's so bland.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bobfromsales posted:

I just don't understand why D4 looks like they turned saturation to 0%. It's so bland.

EMBRACE THE DARKNESS

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Bobfromsales posted:

i'm sure it plays fine, but it's going to look terrible in encoded video. especially on youtube where people keep setting up the color profile incorrectly

as much as i prefer d1+d2 to d3, the visual style seems like a bit of an overcorrecting move from d3's tooney look to some ~grimdark~ style

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I honestly think it looks pretty. But I have a copy of Der Mönch am Meer in my bedroom, so I guess it’s catering specifically to me in the saturation department.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I like the way it looks. Brighter things like the reds and fires pop nicely against the backdrop.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The painterly look to Diablo 3 is honestly superb and I'll always defend it. The combat is flashy and impactful without ever losing the silhouette of your character and the bold color palette is exactly what a game designed to be played for thousands of hours needs to not become visually exhausting. Every little particle animation and flourish oozes style and communicates the ~class fantasy~ of exactly what character you're supposed to be playing. In D4 the animations are so stiff and lifeless that it looks ripped straight out of an F2P game. Minus the extra polygons and shaders you can't tell me that a Wizard casting Disintegrate looking like she's barely holding the fabric of reality together compares at all to the D4 Sorc feebly lobbing a magic missile. Like where is the joy and life in these classes, the whole reason people bother to play a video game instead of just writing down their stats and gear in an excel sheet.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
D3 was made by very talented people who were led by a bonehead. Given Blizzard's recent history, I wouldn't be surprised if there was less talent in the ranks on the D4 team, and that is going to reveal itself in the art and animations and such.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

marshalljim posted:

D3 was made by very talented people who were led by a bonehead. Given Blizzard's recent history, I wouldn't be surprised if there was less talent in the ranks on the D4 team, and that is going to reveal itself in the art and animations and such.

Wasn't a bunch of it made by Vicarious Visions? They're pretty talented.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Bobfromsales posted:

It’s attractive in a very specific way, but they absolutely have a “wow factor” problem. In playing the closed beta, only a few of the bosses and a few of the creatures and a few of the the environments made me go wow.

I never saw another player wearing any gear that looked cool, none of the spell effects were interesting, none of the equipped weapons in game were impressive. They gave closed beta players chits to use in a preview of the real money cosmetic store. Those upgrades were only alright? They look cool enough in the wardrobe, but in game? Meh. A far cry from the uniques and sets and spells of D3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

stev posted:

Wasn't a bunch of it made by Vicarious Visions? They're pretty talented.

VV did Diablo 2 Remastered.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They’re Blizzard Albany now, aren’t they?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

big cummers ONLY posted:

I am going to try some D2R mods that gradenko2000 posted in the D2R thread though, apparently there are some cool ones

Have you tried Grim Dawn yet?
It's the convenience of D3 with the style of D2.

Plus the class meshing is very neat.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

All D4 needs to be is prettier, stabler D3 with interesting new mechanics and more randomization/open possibilities in its endgame and it'd be a day one purchase for me.

D3 is near perfect in what's it's doing, except for it being so limited by it's engine/network issues and endgame getting really stale by bottlenecking you into the flavor of the season set builds.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

All D4 needs to be is prettier, stabler D3 with interesting new mechanics and more randomization/open possibilities in its endgame and it'd be a day one purchase for me.

D3 is near perfect in what's it's doing, except for it being so limited by it's engine/network issues and endgame getting really stale by bottlenecking you into the flavor of the season set builds.

Also fishing for the right GR is very dull and the reason I never bother to push.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

iamsosmrt posted:

the funny thing about diablo is that so much of the formula is completely transparent, and for them to not just have been able to iterate from 2 to 3 was such a drat fumble

hopefully the story and voiceacting will be decent, because grinding in d3 through all that dialogue and exposition was just painful tbh

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Boatswain posted:

Also fishing for the right GR is very dull and the reason I never bother to push.

The only thing that makes it remotely tolerable is hanging out with friends in voice chat or something as you play menu simulator 2015.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I find the souls games / Elden Ring pretty decent spiritual vibe successors to Diablo 1.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Suburban Dad posted:

Chronicon is 2D Diablo 3. It's cheap and great and plays awesome on steam deck to boot.

Hell yeah, and the Mechanist class is coming soon. Going to dive in again as soon as it hits.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Have you tried Grim Dawn yet?
It's the convenience of D3 with the style of D2.

Plus the class meshing is very neat.

Grim Dawn came out with a big balance patch this week and I was shocked at the level of support given the age of the game

It is very good though

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Bobfromsales posted:

See any conversation about D3 since its initial reveal to find out why they made that change.

Granted, the press-provided footage they've given out that has been repeated in every single video is poo poo... but that's exactly the kind of situation someone competent in marketing would be looking to fix. D3 took those criticisms on the chin because there seemed to be some actual direction (whether or not it wound up all being good is another story) behind the scenes. At least according to the washington post article the direction on D4 has flipflopped around so much that they'll be crunching just to release the story mode that no one cares about.

The fact that, despite the above, it will release with a fully functional microtransaction shop and optional pay battle pass makes it feel scummy on top of that. I really want the game to be good but bliz seems to be actively trying to fight any enthusiasm.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Bobfromsales posted:

Apparently D3 was nothing but rainbows and disco balls so they removed anything resembling color from the game.

That's what you get for listening to reddit people I guess.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lol. Bizarre crossover from the bitcoins thread.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fantastic timing to jump on NFT's while they're just heating up

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Fantastic timing to jump on NFT's while they're just heating up

Lmao why would you do this now?? How bad are things at blizzard that ape NFTs are more appealing December 2022?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
He probably learned that Microsoft will have their acquisition blocked and Activision will begin selling off Blizzard for parts.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Who knows what happens to Blizzard if the ABK acquisition falls through. We know they still want to sell, so I guess it’s possible that Blizzard, King and Activision get sold of separately.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I’m amazed by this recent conversation. Me & my brother-in-law constantly lament about how much more replayable and enjoyable D2 was, compared to D3. I can’t put my finger on why, but we were D2 fanatics, but we both willingly dropped D3 pretty quickly.

As I sit here and type this, I realize it may have been the fact that we played D2 on laptops together in the same room, and we never did that with D3.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
every Diablo title is best enjoyed with company (except maybe 1)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

doomfunk posted:

every Diablo title is best enjoyed with company (except maybe 1)

Nah, including 1. One of my most memorable diablo experiences, period, was my next-door neighbor in my freshman dorm (who became my best friend for the next 4 years) insisting I play D1 after he found out I liked D2, and passing me beers while he watched me play through it and gave commentary.

D2 holds a soft spot for me because it landed at precisely the right time for me to be an 18 year old dork hauling my PC around to LAN parties, and later was a staple of sitting in dorm rooms and abusing the room-to-room phone system like a lovely 2001-era Discord. Or just piling everyone's PC into one room for a weekend.

By the time D3 came out I had real world responsibilities and all my online gaming was of the variety we all do now.

I tried to get back into D2 with D2R and, while it's still fun in bursts just for that dopamine hit of loot grinding, woof it is not nearly as good a SP game as D3 and it's not nearly as good a multiplayer game as anything made this decade. A lot of that is self-inflicted. If they had given the option for hosting your own multiplayer or, hell, even hosting a private game that you could then set to Players 8, I probably would have sunk a few hundred hours bullshitting on disc with the same college buddies while grinding baal. But they didn't, so we mostly do that poo poo on stuff like tarkov and DRG now.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I played all 3 diablo games on my own, solo self found for the most part, and I think diablo 2 is the best by far. Diablo 1 is kind of its own thing, and I think you can make a pretty strong argument that it's better than the other two even, but they're not really comparable tbh.

But as for D2 vs D3, D3 is just much more shallow, and there's very little sense of progression. I'm not really a fan of adventure more at all, even if it's an improvement over the base D3 story mode, because the D3 plot is so loving abysmal that literally just deleting it is an improvement. Which is not high praise of the game. And the core gameplay is extremely samey, and changes very little from the moment you finish unlocking your abilities. You can equip a new gear set to change things up a little bit, but other than that it's mostly just "number go up :)" for however many hours it takes you to realize you should be doing something else. The enemies as well are extremely samey, since they don't have immunities or anything. Slightly different attack patterns, but it's kinda rare that you even have to pay attention to those beyond "maybe don't stand in the spinny arcane orbs or whatever".

In D2, you have to make sure to build your character to be able to deal with all immunities (or even resistances in some cases), and the game feels a lot less samey as a result. And honestly most importantly, the story, setting and atmosphere is very solid. People meme about "lmao plot in diablo :smug:", but it's pretty important imo. Like I said, D3's plot was bad enough that deleting it was an improvement, and the general aesthetic reminds me of off-brand league of legends more than anything.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You've played Grim Dawn, right? Because people aren't kidding when they say it's the spiritual successor to D2. From what you're saying you like about D2 you'd probably dig it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really like to pit Diablo 2 and 3 against each other because they're both big beautiful boys, my treasured babies, love them so much, but I was definitely way more hooked into D2 over the last two months and only got burnt out from needing to take long breaks to do mule-stashing (stash-muling?) so often. If they would just make the stash pages infinite for Single-Player like PlugY did I'd probably need an intervention.

But then the two months prior to THAT, Diablo 3 had its hooks deep into me and the casual-ness of it, the ability to jump in at any given moment and just know, and the ability to dial-in your difficulty rather precisely, and the little ways that it encourages you to do Just One More Rift, Bro, when combined with the ease of inventory management, is just top-notch stuff.

The controller support is also so goddamn good across both of these games that I find it hard to go to go games like Grim Dawn and Path of Exile that don't have it, I'm so spoiled.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

You've played Grim Dawn, right? Because people aren't kidding when they say it's the spiritual successor to D2. From what you're saying you like about D2 you'd probably dig it.

I have, it's pretty decent. I like the class system especially, but on the whole I wasn't a massive fan. Better than D3 and PoE, but still not amazing.