Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

God, chapter 3 in IXION was just a rude surprise.

I’m restarting again, got mutinied because everybody got really loving hungry or whatever :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

<laughs in chapter 4>

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m restarting again, got mutinied because everybody got really loving hungry or whatever :rolleyes:

I just wrapped up chapter 2 in a nice, neat bow with 1.3 metric shitfucktons of materials in storage and took the jump. Now I'm starting it and saying "I can see you moving you rear end in a top hat, I don't know what you have in store for me but I'm busy dealing with the like 2,000 crypods I have on hand already"

I imagine a lesson is going to be learned shortly. Pretty sure I've got materials taken care of, sitting on over 2k alloy just in storage so I figure mutiny and an air lock is probably my fate.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

I just wrapped up chapter 2 in a nice, neat bow with 1.3 metric shitfucktons of materials in storage and took the jump. Now I'm starting it and saying "I can see you moving you rear end in a top hat, I don't know what you have in store for me but I'm busy dealing with the like 2,000 crypods I have on hand already"

I imagine a lesson is going to be learned shortly. Pretty sure I've got materials taken care of, sitting on over 2k alloy just in storage so I figure mutiny and an air lock is probably my fate.

The lesson happens quickly and in a hurry, and if you're not ready for it, it's bad.

Work on getting your hull completely independent via waste recycling, so that you are no longer limited in your time exploration of a sector by Fe intake. With upgrades to water treatment, you can also take care of water production in your farming sector and use waste water to water your food, after that you're basically self-sufficent, as other expenses are entirely up to you on when/where you take them on. You can very much die anyways, space is deadly, but removing the ticking time bombs of hull damage and water consumption makes things a good bit easier.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 17, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I guess I'm weird about food, but I've been relying on insect farms 100% right from the start. I saw the water crunch coming from the instant I saw how much water was used and have refused to put my head in that noose. I have one plant farm I made just for the request but I can turn it off and be positive on food for hundreds of cycles at this rate. Granted I do have one entire sector that's nothing but houses/civilian structures and then insect farms and I'm working on a second one, but yeah, water sucks I ain't falling for that trap until I have enough waste to be comfortable using that "welp, no water here!" building.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Blade and sorcery on VR is cool as poo poo. Holding of three guys off with a short sword while you face grab their buddy and push him off the plank bridge your walking on makes a little something I'my monkey brain go ooookk with joy. Honestly hope it comes out as a complete game or if anyone knows any other games that can scratch my first person DND murder hobo itch please let me know.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah blade and sorcery is fuckin rad.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

I guess I'm weird about food, but I've been relying on insect farms 100% right from the start. I saw the water crunch coming from the instant I saw how much water was used and have refused to put my head in that noose. I have one plant farm I made just for the request but I can turn it off and be positive on food for hundreds of cycles at this rate. Granted I do have one entire sector that's nothing but houses/civilian structures and then insect farms and I'm working on a second one, but yeah, water sucks I ain't falling for that trap until I have enough waste to be comfortable using that "welp, no water here!" building.

I'm pretty sure that there's tech research that causes residential buildings to produce waste, or a policy that can be implemented, which is a huge boost to your waste intake, making the waste recycling facilities into something that is actually viable to use for alloy and water reprocessing.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

orange juche posted:

I'm pretty sure that there's tech research that causes residential buildings to produce waste, or a policy that can be implemented, which is a huge boost to your waste intake, making the waste recycling facilities into something that is actually viable to use for alloy and water reprocessing.

Yep. Got some waste plants set up for alloy, and I’m getting it for free now. The water too, but I bypassed the crop farms and went straight to algae from insects. I thought the research was gated to the ends of chapters, but turns out you can just research the next level of tech after completely researching the previous level :suicide:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

e: nvm

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 23, 2022

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
best food techs are gated behind the rate upgrades for the crop farm. making food feed more people at the mess hall should be a beeline once you know it is there.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Grognan posted:

best food techs are gated behind the rate upgrades for the crop farm. making food feed more people at the mess hall should be a beeline once you know it is there.

Yea one of those effectively doubles your food supply (1 food feeds like 20 crew crew instead of 10, I think). Combined with the mess hall upgrades that let you feed more people at once, it’s really solid.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
managed to run most of my food through mushroom farms and one full algae farm. the ice thing is not a big deal given it is really really abundant in pretty much all chapters. the specialization for recycling actually improves the output so much it basically breaks whatever need you have and I never bothered with the nuclear power plant or water treatment

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I just started a food-sector using the water treatment with research bonus. For 25 waste per cycle I can run every algae farm in the sector without water. I have 1500 food stockpiled and it's backing up in storage because I don't care to bother storing more. If I drop below a thousand I turn that sector on again then something else until I notice I'm full again.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

I kept wondering what the rude surprise in chapter 3 was and oh dear, this is bad.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I kept wondering what the rude surprise in chapter 3 was and oh dear, this is bad.

It's a loving whammy

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

"Why are they insisting I build five batteries per sector? I don't need five b... oh"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Why the gently caress aren't resources being relocated between sectors? There's a receiving storage site, there's roads, there's people. WTF. Why the gently caress does this game insist on treating station sections a few hundred meters apart like they're a full loving continent away?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Maybe I'm missing something, but FrostPunk's been updated with enough new stuff where that could be punishing resource simulator. Ixion has some rather rough reviews.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but FrostPunk's been updated with enough new stuff where that could be punishing resource simulator. Ixion has some rather rough reviews.

There's problems with Ixion no doubt, especially on launch with the accident bug and also accidents simply being too easy to trigger and cascade (this has been patched, as long as your work conditions are optimal, accidents aren't a concern really), but a fair amount of people complaining was people getting smacked in the face by difficulty. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of the challenge.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea there’s definitely a challenge there. I know how to break the game and never have to worry, but the transitions are what’s killing me. Opening a new sector, transitioning off of iron for alloy production, insect farms to algae farms, etc. All of those get me good unless I do it perfectly, and that’s more just dumb luck than anything :v:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

Why the gently caress aren't resources being relocated between sectors? There's a receiving storage site, there's roads, there's people. WTF. Why the gently caress does this game insist on treating station sections a few hundred meters apart like they're a full loving continent away?

age old caeser three cart pusher problem, only got so many carts out at a time. a bit of a genre convention but I suppose that's why you can upgrade how many transporters. to make it work well you are going to have to set priorities to closer sectors first so they can transit it baton relay style instead of expecting they will just fedex that poo poo everywhere perfectly directly all the time. it has to choose how to split on an even coin flip if you do not designate a priority

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just gonna say again the soundtrack really owns

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Death Stranding is today's free epic game, for all the other people like me reading about it in this thread but not having gotten it themselves.

Apparently it's just the standard, not Director's Cut edition but I don't know what that entails. An upgrade is available for $6.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Manyorcas posted:

Death Stranding is today's free epic game, for all the other people like me reading about it in this thread but not having gotten it themselves.

Apparently it's just the standard, not Director's Cut edition but I don't know what that entails. An upgrade is available for $6.

directors cut adds some extra stuff and is like a $10 upgrade

you can totally play/beat the original game and decided then if you want some extra stuff and missions and all that

also the pc port is fantastic

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Amid Evil is so good and I might like it more than the also awesome Dusk which I also picked up for the xmas sale but they both might be making me motion sick. I've only had this happen with two other FPS games, cs source and black mesa but I'm gonna be so bummed if I gotta refund them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Fiddling with FOV may fix motion sickness

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I got my son Switch Sports for Christmas and now we’re a father son dream team.

(We suck but we’re having a blast)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The premiere for the first gameplay trailer of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl is scheduled for 3 hours, 10 mins (8:00pm CET) as of this post, if anyone's interested.
The chat lobby currently has around 9,000 folks waiting, and it has completely devolved into pro- vs. anti-Ukrainian war propaganda at this point. At least it seems the pro-Ukrainian chatters have the upper hand, not very much unlike the actual conflict.

Volodymyr Yezhov, one of the devs for the OG game, was unfortunately killed in action a few days ago after joining up with the armed forces in February. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH3wS_Ld33U

I'm seriously stoked for this project.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Been enjoying Alien: Isolation on Switch. Excellent survival horror tension and recreation of environments from the movies is masterful. Great player agency so I don’t feel railroaded and so far when I’ve been killed it felt fair and the exploration is rewarding.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Been enjoying Alien: Isolation on Switch. Excellent survival horror tension and recreation of environments from the movies is masterful. Great player agency so I don’t feel railroaded and so far when I’ve been killed it felt fair and the exploration is rewarding.

That’s a drat good port on one of the best games out there. The “thud-THUD” of the Alien dropping down and then the sniffing sound it makes afterwards always left me with a sense of terror. Hide, and it will find you. Run, and it will hear you. Hell, it can hear the drat motion tracker if you’re using it when the Alien too close. 10/10, would gladly be stalked around Sevastopol station again.

Bonus: William Hope (LT Gorman, from Aliens) was the voice of the Marshall, and Sigourney Weaver actually came back to voice Ellen Ripley in various recordings.

It’s fun to play Aliens: Fireteam Elite and notice who on your team played Alien: Isolation. There are 2 giveaways:

Shooting every single working Joe, even if they’re sitting in a charging station and not active :getin:

you are becoming hysterical.

Avoiding walking under any vent with water dripping out from it :gonk:

Someone went and recreated the vent scene from the original Alien movie within the game, and it was a beautiful thing.

https://youtu.be/mYAXxPLGSoI

This scene hosed up my world as a kid, I think my parents thought that since the Alien isn’t on-screen but for brief flashes here and there, I’d be alright since I never got to see the monster long enough to be scared of it.

Between the vent scene and Ripley interrogating Ash’s head, they were wrong.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oh nice, yeah I’m enjoying it a lot. Two highlights (I’m not super far yet)

-running into four armed scavengers who begin hunting Ripley when I don’t have a gun or many items. Excellent dialogue as they search to get across the theme of them being normal crew who have been pushed into a “kill all outsiders” mindset. I liked how the game remembers you’re an unarmored human and rushing them is foolishness. I ended up bashing two of them with the wrench and running through and it was impressive how the other two gave chase and had relevant dialogue about how I had taken a critical tool, then shortly after returning to that room after the alien had laid waste was creepy.

(That segment did have a tiny issue, the first guy I took down dropped a revolver and I thought oh cool, but there was no option to pick it up with no plot explanation or other reason given, like it being DNA coded or something. I did get a gun shortly after from a table, wonder if guys dropping guns while you don’t have one was only an issue in that one encounter so it wasn’t worth the developers time to address?)

-thinking Working Joes aren’t a problem, just gonna bash them uh oh they caught the wrench. Well a headshot should settle them uh nope just emptied my gun and now there are four of them and I can’t drop even one. So awesome.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 30, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh nice, yeah I’m enjoying it a lot. Two highlights (I’m not super far yet)

-running into four armed scavengers who begin hunting Ripley when I don’t have a gun or many items. Excellent dialogue as they search to get across the theme of them being normal crew who have been pushed into a “kill all outsiders” mindset. I liked how the game remembers you’re an unarmored human and rushing them is foolishness. I ended up bashing two of them with the wrench and running through and it was impressive how the other two gave chase and had relevant dialogue about how I had taken a critical tool, then shortly after returning to that room after the alien had laid waste was creepy.

(That segment did have a tiny issue, the first guy I took down dropped a revolver and I thought oh cool, but there was no option to pick it up with no plot explanation or other reason given, like it being DNA coded or something. I did get a gun shortly after from a table, wonder if guys dropping guns while you don’t have one was only an issue in that one encounter so it wasn’t worth the developers time to address?)

-thinking Working Joes aren’t a problem, just gonna bash them uh oh they caught the wrench. Well a headshot should settle them uh nope just emptied my gun and now there are four of them and I can’t drop even one. So awesome.

The red eyes on a Working Joe are unsettling, at best. Although it’s kind of funny whenever the Alien walks by one and the Joe yells at it a little bit.

https://youtu.be/Vr7Eja-xWUo

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

The red eyes on a Working Joe are unsettling, at best. Although it’s kind of funny whenever the Alien walks by one and the Joe yells at it a little bit.

https://youtu.be/Vr7Eja-xWUo

Oh yeah it’s great enemy design. I like when they’re shot and just leak a bit but otherwise seem unharmed and don’t slow down. I was in a room with a large table between me and the door when two walked in, realized the path finding was good when they split up to cover both sides and prevent easy escape.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah it’s great enemy design. I like when they’re shot and just leak a bit but otherwise seem unharmed and don’t slow down. I was in a room with a large table between me and the door when two walked in, realized the path finding was good when they split up to cover both sides and prevent easy escape.

Oh yea. They’ll corner you in a heartbeat if you’re not careful, then call you hysterical for being mad they’re strangling you. They’re movie monsters, they can’t be hurt* and never run but are always upon you somehow.

*I mean, you can hurt them but that usually makes noise and attracts it :cry:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Alien Isolation is fantastic. One of my proudest steam achievements:

Hard to believe it's almost 10 years old at this point. The attention to detail in both sound design and visuals is amazing, I like how Amanda Ripley even has the same weird double-Casio wrist watch that Sigourney Weaver wore in the first movie. Best video game that ever came out of that franchise by a pretty wide margin IMO.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

sidebar, but Aliens Fireteam Elite is pretty fun. It's not perfect but for fifteen bucks I've enjoyed shooting masses of drones and joes.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

sidebar, but Aliens Fireteam Elite is pretty fun. It's not perfect but for fifteen bucks I've enjoyed shooting masses of drones and joes.

I keep going back to it, but I’m a sucker for Aliens things.

Why yes I’ve got 2 board games for the franchise and painted all the marines for one of them, why do you ask :v:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I keep going back to it, but I’m a sucker for Aliens things.

Why yes I’ve got 2 board games for the franchise and painted all the marines for one of them, why do you ask :v:

lol I bought that board game as well. I still need to finish assembling all of the aliens for it. IDK if I am even remotely skilled enough to paint them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

lol I bought that board game as well. I still need to finish assembling all of the aliens for it. IDK if I am even remotely skilled enough to paint them though.

:suicide:

Prime them lightly, there are good edge boundaries to follow so knowing where to drop with what colors isn’t so much an issue.

Still makes me giggle that an entire map in the board game would be a single small-ish encounter in Fireteam :laffo: