Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Latest Kevin saga highlight, playing with ice and trying to do slip and slide:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/457159102007607300/1054000531275776001/4_5834808711947751303.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Paladinus posted:

BBC's Sherlock Holmes rotating hundreds of 3D spunk patterns in his mind, while wildly gesticulating.

they made irene adler a sexy bdsm girlboss and its the worst thing you've ever seen

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dongicus posted:

they made irene adler a sexy bdsm girlboss and its the worst thing you've ever seen

Moffat is a mad genius with 'mad' in all caps, bolded, on every page, and 'genius' in fine print, half cut-off because page margins aren't set correctly. Every character is their own type of infuriatingly annoying idiot, every single time without failure. It's amazing!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Dongicus posted:

I checked the Fandom article and her profession is literally recorded as "dominatrix"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I checked the Fandom article and her profession is literally recorded as "dominatrix"

She is super intelligent, so she always knows which ball to kick to cause the optimal amounts of pleasure and pain.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Dongicus posted:

every single adaption fucks up irene adler and it makes me so mad. theres nothing wrong with the original stories

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
she defeats sherlock's supernatural analysis powers by being naked when she meets him so all he thinks is awooga booba. not kidding

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Paladinus posted:

Moffat is a mad genius with 'mad' in all caps, bolded, on every page, and 'genius' in fine print, half cut-off because page margins aren't set correctly. Every character is their own type of infuriatingly annoying idiot, every single time without failure. It's amazing!

It's more that Sherlock and chunks of Doctor Who were written in a sleep-deprived grief haze while he was caring for parents in hospice and he refused to delegate when he clearly couldn't find time to self-edit.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DoctorWhat posted:

It's more that Sherlock and chunks of Doctor Who were written in a sleep-deprived grief haze while he was caring for parents in hospice and he refused to delegate when he clearly couldn't find time to self-edit.

I can sympathise, but does it also explain Dracula and Inside Man?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Moffat wrote some self-indulgent shite because he's the guy who writes self-indulgent shite

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
No one ever remembers Moffat doing a horrendous Jekyll and Hyde adaptation

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Waste of Breath posted:

oh my god that was him it makes so much sense

the big reveal was THERE WAS NO MAGIC POTION IT WAS BECAUSE OF A WOMAN

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Waste of Breath posted:

oh wow i didn't know he did Jekyll. That was such a bad show

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Paladinus posted:

I can sympathise, but does it also explain Dracula and Inside Man?

Nah he also has really bad habits and has absolutely spent and exhausted nearly all his good ideas. Still better than Chris Chibnall though and he hired good people to direct.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Waste of Breath posted:

that show had some great examples of British people trying to do American accents. they tried so hard

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People always say it's hard for Americans to do British accents but I think it's really the other way around because American accents are unique in a lot of ways and every single British person can be adequately imitated by going WOT WOT

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CountryMatters posted:

she defeats sherlock's supernatural analysis powers by being naked when she meets him so all he thinks is awooga booba. not kidding

When you write it like this it sounds like it should be funny but it somehow just was not, at all

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

People always say it's hard for Americans to do British accents but I think it's really the other way around because American accents are unique in a lot of ways and every single British person can be adequately imitated by going WOT WOT

america has the least accent variation of any country despite being nearly as big as europe. it s impressive honestly

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you simply can't recognize the subtle differences in our 100 micro accents. there's many flavors of redneck

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
In my limited experience British people are good at stereotypical "southern redneck" accents, but nobody wants to sound like that on purpose

I think the tragic truth is that all of our stereotypes and cultural touchpoints are like, watching TV, being fat, driving large cars, etc. hard to base an accent on that

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Distinguishing between a Louisiana and Georgia accent like a voice Sommelier.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's impossible for a British person to overcome the British accent. Captain Picard is supposed to be French

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FuturePastNow posted:

It's impossible for a British person to overcome the British accent. Captain Picard is supposed to be French

he does the same accent when he's supposed to be Vladimir Lenin in that one bbc drama which is funny

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
limmy does a really funny american accent. that guy on succession has the best american accent ive ever heard

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

American accents used to be a lot more pronounced but since the introduction of radio and tv have been drastically homogenized. If you listen to any of the recordings made of people from the civil war era or shortly thereafter they sound weird as hell.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
still remembering one of the first witness call-in news reports about 9/11 which should have been tragic but was delivered in such a stereotypical italian-american new york accent that i cant take it seriously

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wonder how many accents switzerland's got

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

All the funny American accents like Boston Irish guy or Tony Soprano are fading away which is a shame because they're really funny

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

WarpDogs posted:

In my limited experience British people are good at stereotypical "southern redneck" accents, but nobody wants to sound like that on purpose

I think the tragic truth is that all of our stereotypes and cultural touchpoints are like, watching TV, being fat, driving large cars, etc. hard to base an accent on that

That's because the southern accent is a british accent

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

pog boyfriend posted:

every single adaption fucks up irene adler and it makes me so mad. theres nothing wrong with the original stories
Counterpoint:

quote:

In the season five episode of The Flash entitled "Goldfaced" (2019), detective Sherloque Wells meets Renee Adler (portrayed by Kimberly Williams-Paisley), the Earth-1 doppelgänger of his five ex-wives.[24] She is later shown to be a metahuman with possible telekinetic powers; upon seeing this, Sherloque vows to protect her from metahuman-serial killer Cicada. During the episode, Sherloque also has an encounter with four of his ex-wives, all of whom are variants of Adler. Now that they know which Earth he is on, they demand their back alimony payments be met within a month, or they will have a multiverse-traveling bounty hunter come and collect the payments for them.[25]
I haven't seen it but come on, that must be amazing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DaysBefore posted:

All the funny American accents like Boston Irish guy or Tony Soprano are fading away which is a shame because they're really funny

this is my favorite line reading ever. rip gandolfini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbldmqXrVg

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Stux posted:

america has the least accent variation of any country despite being nearly as big as europe. it s impressive honestly

The US has a ton of variation in accents. The problem is a lot of them are pretty low-key and never represented even in American TV because actors will just flatten out the way they speak there unless it's a show set the south or on the east coast. And even then they just talk in a really exaggerated version of an accent.

Americans also aren't used to listening for accents or have any idea what most other regions "sound" like because there's not as many accent stereotypes, so they'll hear someone speaking differently but have no idea why. I had a friend who moved to Chicago from Indiana and she constantly had people asking her if she was from the South or even asking if she was British because she had a slight rural twang.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I think the first episode of Dracula was good because it was set in olden times Transylvania. Then they swapped to modern days and the show was bad.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Terrible Opinions posted:

American accents used to be a lot more pronounced but since the introduction of radio and tv have been drastically homogenized. If you listen to any of the recordings made of people from the civil war era or shortly thereafter they sound weird as hell.

this isn't true. they're are strong as ever, but they shift over time -- they shift a lot even now, but they're still really strong.

Kild posted:

That's because the southern accent is a british accent

no, goddammit.

Nuns with Guns posted:

The US has a ton of variation in accents. The problem is a lot of them are pretty low-key and never represented even in American TV because actors will just flatten out the way they speak there unless it's a show set the south or on the east coast. And even then they just talk in a really exaggerated version of an accent.

yes, goddammit.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Americans also aren't used to listening for accents or have any idea what most other regions "sound" like because there's not as many accent stereotypes, so they'll hear someone speaking differently but have no idea why. I had a friend who moved to Chicago from Indiana and she constantly had people asking her if she was from the South or even asking if she was British because she had a slight rural twang.

this is a big part of it, too... lots of Americans still swear that they "don't have an accent", but everybody has a loving accent.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Veev posted:

Distinguishing between a Louisiana and Georgia accent like a voice Sommelier.

this but unironically.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can tell a lot from the words people use too which is a big part of our accents. like crick, which is a particularly small creek but still larger than a stream

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

no, goddammit.
Is shakespeare not British now?

quote:

yes, goddammit.
There's only 3 accents. They are pop, soda, and coke.

quote:

this is a big part of it, too... lots of Americans still swear that they "don't have an accent", but everybody has a loving accent.

I don't have one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
nicky haydn was a really good motorcycle racer and it was extremely fun to see someone in a very european sport give interviews with a very thick kentucky accent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq2vl-mx4C4

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Do 'amnesia' and 'easier' not rhyme in American

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nuns with Guns posted:

Empty Sandwich posted:

this isn't true. they're are strong as ever, but they shift over time -- they shift a lot even now, but they're still really strong.

The North Midwest vowel shift happening in the US right now is probably one of the largest summary changes in English speech since the GVS.