Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USX7M9wLQFw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

TARRR-giht

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Do 'amnesia' and 'easier' not rhyme in American

no? I can't even imagine how they could.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

wonder how many accents switzerland's got

Eight.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4CLdYBwBqk

a classic

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Peachfart posted:

assuming that post isn't a joke there are some english accents that would tilt the last phoneme in "amnesia" to more of an "er" sound

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

i think that would rhyme if you're from boston but that's one of the worst american accents

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Kild posted:

Is shakespeare not British now?

your mom is not british now

exquisite tea posted:

The North Midwest vowel shift happening in the US right now is probably one of the largest summary changes in English speech since the GVS.

one of my ND cousins was working at a bodega in upstate NY and nobody could understand the way she says bag

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

beeeeig

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Peachfart posted:

that's weird cos I can't even imagine how they wouldn't

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Limmy is, without a doubt, one of the best streamers of this generation.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

amnesia last syllable is a schwa

easier last syllable is, i don't know, rhymes with blur? her? burger? sherbet? most varieties of american english are rhotic.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

am-knee-Zuh and E-Z-er

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

In my limited experience British people are good at stereotypical "southern redneck" accents, but nobody wants to sound like that on purpose

I think the tragic truth is that all of our stereotypes and cultural touchpoints are like, watching TV, being fat, driving large cars, etc. hard to base an accent on that

as the limmy clip shows they usually default to vague northeastern. jersey/new york/boston soup

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Larry Parrish posted:

am-knee-Zuh and E-Z-er

That's a Batman character

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Peachfart posted:

amnesi-er and easi-er

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

some of you are forgetting when breath of the wild came out and everyone was disgusted by zelda's english va having a yooper accent

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Roth posted:

That's a Batman character

lmfao

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7msoqnz2bcY

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Empty Sandwich posted:

this isn't true. they're are strong as ever, but they shift over time -- they shift a lot even now, but they're still really strong.
They're all pretty mutually intelligible. You can tell where someone is from but no need for subtitles or the like to understand them. Maybe I'm miss informed but the impression I got was that stuff like Hoi Toider was more the norm in the 1700s and 1800s in terms of isolation from other dialects.

Larry Parrish posted:

you can tell a lot from the words people use too which is a big part of our accents. like crick, which is a particularly small creek but still larger than a stream
I thought the distinguishing part of a crick was that it dried up during summer, but a creek flowed year round.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oxxidation posted:

as the limmy clip shows they usually default to vague northeastern. jersey/new york/boston soup

It's either that or the highest level most reach is that really flat nasally accent Hugh Laurie did for House. The British-ness doesn't leak through but it's just broadcaster English nobody actually sounds like.

Anyway I like watching the old Sailor Moon dub DIC did because sometimes one of the voice actresses slips and says one of the Canadian Power Words.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Terrible Opinions posted:

I thought the distinguishing part of a crick was that it dried up during summer, but a creek flowed year round.

I thought "crick" and "creek" were just different pronunciations of the same word

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Famethrowa posted:

amnesi-er and easi-er

No.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Stux posted:

america has the least accent variation of any country despite being nearly as big as europe. it s impressive honestly

Sorry but that honor belongs to us australians

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

They're all pretty mutually intelligible.

ah, gotcha. I just meant that there hasn't been a disappearance of regional dialects in general.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They're all pretty mutually intelligible. You can tell where someone is from but no need for subtitles or the like to understand them. Maybe I'm miss informed but the impression I got was that stuff like Hoi Toider was more the norm in the 1700s and 1800s in terms of isolation from other dialects.

that's a seasonal crick/creek

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

The US has a ton of variation in accents. The problem is a lot of them are pretty low-key and never represented even in American TV because actors will just flatten out the way they speak there unless it's a show set the south or on the east coast. And even then they just talk in a really exaggerated version of an accent.

Americans also aren't used to listening for accents or have any idea what most other regions "sound" like because there's not as many accent stereotypes, so they'll hear someone speaking differently but have no idea why. I had a friend who moved to Chicago from Indiana and she constantly had people asking her if she was from the South or even asking if she was British because she had a slight rural twang.

therhes no us accent i cannot understand. theres at least 30 uk accents an american cannot understand. case closed.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2SX5dwO84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL5CrxblRDg

my picks

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
it's called "soda" not pop

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

pentyne posted:

coke

beaviss
Dec 20, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC__o1UxDl8

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

that's right

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

pentyne posted:

gently caress off + l + ratio

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

pentyne posted:

it's a coke or a sodie pop

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

uncle moe my sodie is too cold it makes my teeth hurt

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

you anglos (collectively) need to stop confusing dialects with accents

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

boston and and liverpool have dialects. accent is what the chief of NATO has when he speaks english (e.g. the tone of his first language affects the way he speaks english)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

pentyne posted:

oda pop bitch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ulvir posted:

boston and and liverpool have dialects. accent is what the chief of NATO has when he speaks english (e.g. the tone of his first language affects the way he speaks english)

stunningly incorrect. wonderful job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ulvir posted:

the first language of boston is racial slurs