Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

big talk from someone who doesn't even know the prequels are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

loquacius posted:

Stating for the record that THIS poster is arguing that it was intended as satire

Do you think Frank Miller intended this as satire when he wrote it, and how does that square with the traitor character's concept being "a guy who should have been thrown into the eugenics pit"

An author's intention is irrelevant the moment they hit publish. The work either stands on its own or it doesn't.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mr Hootington posted:

Isn't his adaptation of West Side Story supposed to be very good?

One of his best IMO. Criminally overlooked.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Remulak posted:

I've only seen the scene with the long take through the dance auditorium and it was very cool.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Spielberg like Scorsese is no longer good

Scorsese is still good, and Spielberg puts out a banger every 5 films or so.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
the prequels are OK

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Spielberg like Scorsese is no longer good

killers of the flower moon gonna be good

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

indigi posted:

the prequels are OK

I think they're mostly still bad but I have more of an appreciation for attack of the clones then I did when it came out

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

christmas boots posted:

An author's intention is irrelevant the moment they hit publish. The work either stands on its own or it doesn't.

Agreed; the quoted post was a response to a poster trying to make an intention argument, as evidenced in the first part of it you quoted

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I still really like Sucker Punch

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

josh04 posted:

big talk from someone who doesn't even know the prequels are good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remulak posted:

It got a Best Picture nom didn't it?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

snyder's Watchmen one of the worst movies i've ever seen

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Guessing u don't watch many movies then

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

star ship troopers lacks the homoeroticism of 300 and thus will never have the same scale or intensity of fascist adoration

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Dunno if it 100% lived up to the source material but it was pretty decent as an adaptation IMO, even the cheesy musical segments were pretty called-for

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

It's solid snakes fault for changing the ending because he was sad about 9/11

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

MacheteZombie posted:

I think they're mostly still bad but I have more of an appreciation for attack of the clones then I did when it came out

they're absolutely full of junk and bad acting. Lucas should of let someone else direct and they might have been C+ instead of C-

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I appreciate them more but they're absolutely bad movies. And not even in a Southland Tales goofy mess kinda way, just a pretty okay story told in an incredibly boring way. Cool art and good music tho

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I appreciate them more but they're absolutely bad movies. And not even in a Southland Tales goofy mess kinda way, just a pretty okay story told in an incredibly boring way. Cool art and good music tho

Lol I legit enjoyed Southland Tales. The rocks performance is arguably his best and the plot is just buckwild.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol I legit enjoyed Southland Tales. The rocks performance is arguably his best and the plot is just buckwild.

I really enjoyed it too, it's just also bad. I should try the Cannes cut sometime and see if it works any better

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

StashAugustine posted:

they have a lot of bad stuff in them but as far as movies go I'd say theyre "ok" not bad. are they bad Star Wars movies in the context of the OT? porbably

MacheteZombie posted:

The rocks performance is arguably his best

The Rundown imo

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

I loved it and made all my friends get high and watch it and they were kind of on board. I even remember reading the extended online comic or whatever they did that expanded on an already extremely bloated plot.

Southland Tales is an example of how a film doesn't need to be made well to be enjoyable. The Killers were already so overplayed at that point and it didn't matter, CGI videogame-style voiceover exposition dump? who cares b/c it's otherwise an ambitious, pretentious, sloppy mess of cameos and plot.

Miss Lonelyhearts has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Dec 18, 2022

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1603863972402323469

A PAWN IN HIS EVIL GAME!!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol @ wb-hbo-discovery just flaming out

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

The Irishman was miserable and extremely overrated, yet Silence is the best Scorsese movie nobody's ever seen

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Southland Tales feels like it's an adaption of Phillip K. Dick novel.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

everyone knows the secret to making good movies is byzantine backroom maneuvering and "controlling" production using actors as leverage and making up fraudulent box office claims, you can't simply "make" a "good movie"

remember when robert eggars went on twitter saying "The Northman had the biggest box office opening of ALL TIME. it made a HUGE profit!!!"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

just watched my man godfrey, what a great movie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Man_Godfrey

quote:

My Man Godfrey is a 1936 American screwball comedy film directed by Gregory La Cava and starring William Powell and Carole Lombard, who had been briefly married years before appearing together in the film.[2][5] The screenplay for My Man Godfrey was written by Morrie Ryskind, with uncredited contributions by La Cava, based on 1101 Park Avenue, a short novel by Eric S. Hatch. The story concerns a socialite who hires a derelict to be her family's butler, and then falls in love with him.

having watched Trading Places the other day, it's sort of like as if Dan Aykroyd's character continued as a vagrant, lives in a shanty, but eventually got hired by someone else as a butler (also as part of a bet). Set in the depression, it's implied that bourgeois Godfrey was ruined in some way, and there's a lot of focus on joblessness and how easy it is to lose one's standing. took a picture of the essence of the film:

oh and the family is loving nuts. the end with the nightclub was kind of silly but the commentary suggested it was a requirement of the movie makers code at the time.

going to watch la cava's other films. I think I will do this next, anyone seen it? It sounds awesome

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Over_the_White_House

quote:

Gabriel Over the White House is a 1933 American pre-Code political fantasy film starring Walter Huston as a genial but politically corrupt U.S. President who has a near-fatal automobile accident and comes under divine influence—specifically the Archangel Gabriel and the spirit of Abraham Lincoln. Eventually he takes control of the government, solves the problems of the nation, from unemployment to racketeering, and arranges for worldwide peace, before dying of a heart attack.

it's nice having criterion because I can just put anything on and I'll probably like it instead of searching the other apps for something worth watching at all.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Dec 18, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
gabriel over the white house rules because the mafia does a literal drive by on the white house, the US secures world peace through superior firepower and when the incorruptible union leader is murdered by the disgusting bourgeoisie they sing john brown's body while marching.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bro Dad posted:

The Irishman was miserable and extremely overrated, yet Silence is the best Scorsese movie nobody's ever seen

i enjoyed it because i like apcino and niro, and also tis cool we had a jimmy hoffa movie, but the de-aging looked like poo poo and almost ruins the whole thing

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I liked Kundun more.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
one thing i dont like is when YE OLDE movies all look just like sepia toned and it slike, you know history wasn't brown and gray right???

or like when war movies are only 50 shades of gray

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
spielberg destroying half the gaming industry with his take on SPR. Didn't even know for the longest time that US paratrooper uniforms were supposed to be snot colored.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Xaris posted:

one thing i dont like is when YE OLDE movies all look just like sepia toned and it slike, you know history wasn't brown and gray right???

or like when war movies are only 50 shades of gray

youre watchin some weird war movies

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xaris posted:

i enjoyed it because i like apcino and niro, and also tis cool we had a jimmy hoffa movie, but the de-aging looked like poo poo and almost ruins the whole thing

This was one big problem with it, the other was the length. Needed a big edit imo

but yeah Pacino as Jimmy Hoffa is the kind of movie we should have had 20 or 30 years ago

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There's a Starship Troopers thread in The Film Dump. It's pretty funny

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Need a "Lucas' Lackeys" gangtag to properly express myself and my opinion of Star Wars imo

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

There's a Starship Troopers thread in The Film Dump. It's pretty funny

why does that forum still exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So no one saw Avatar this weekend?