Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wtf is a grocery sack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
grocery sack lmfao

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M2khjpOxzc&t=1781s

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

lmao

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Antivehicular posted:

I moved to Nebraska in middle school, and the locals were incredibly snotty about accents, which is hilarious coming from a place where "warsh" and "maysure" were still in circulation. Also "(grocery) sack" was loving ubiquitous, and that is some freak poo poo, I'm sorry

What do they call a bag of almonds?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
a "grocery bag"? hey fellas, a "grocery bag"! well, ooh la di da, mister french man.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8IGNSNKUnQ&t=10s

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I live in California, which is the only place in the world that doesn't have accents.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I live in California, which is the only place in the world that doesn't have accents.

personal experience: if you say "hella" people will immediately clock you as californian lol. thats the tell

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

if you say "hell of" people immediately clock you as someone who reads achewood

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
theres actually a lot of interesting stuff going on with california/western us accents in general, its just relatively subtle and mostly interesting to linguistic nerds because american settlements west of the rockies are incredibly new, linguistically speaking.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

more falafel please posted:

I've lived in the Chicago area my whole life. A bunch of my friends, including my wife, grew up in the southwest suburbs, and I did not. I can tell if someone grew up in the southwest suburbs with like 99% accuracy.

I'm a person from the southwest suburbs (Westmont/DG) and I'm curious, what are the markers that really pop out to you? I love comparative linguistics and this is (obviously) not a thing that I'm able to notice on my own, and there isn't a lot of scholarly writing on the issue.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ammat The Ankh posted:

it's funny because you can instantly identify any cracker in the room when they say that. youve never heard anyone with a chicano accent? really? or an Oakland accent etc? not even one oakie rear end redneck like myself?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
california is big enough to be really weird accent wise lol. for example theres a small pocket around san francisco that doesnt have the cot-caught merger. its the only place along the entire west coast where thats true lol. bizarre!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

it's funny because you can instantly identify any cracker in the room when they say that. youve never heard anyone with a chicano accent? really? or an Oakland accent etc? not even one oakie rear end redneck like myself?

(The actual truth is that a lot of people I've talked to have identified my East SF Bay accent but that's not funny enough to post about)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
He used to carry his guitar in a grocery sack

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
oh I'm an oakie. I'm from california. I have a midwest accent! I'm clearly from colorado! I have an east bay accent! shut up. you all just sound American

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
there's no accent in pacific northwest

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

some plague rats posted:

oh I'm an oakie. I'm from california. I have a midwest accent! I'm clearly from colorado! I have an east bay accent! shut up. you all just sound American

typical commonwealth ignorance

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Silly Newbie posted:

I'm a person from the southwest suburbs (Westmont/DG) and I'm curious, what are the markers that really pop out to you? I love comparative linguistics and this is (obviously) not a thing that I'm able to notice on my own, and there isn't a lot of scholarly writing on the issue.

I'm thinking more of the Orland/Palos variety, and I'm not great at describing these things but it's like a (white) south side accent with a little more nasal and less "oer by wheredajewelsisat" superfans/Daley vibes. More northern cities vowel shift, like "block" sounds like "blaaack" I grew up closer to Westmont/Downers (but further north, like due west of the city, right off the Eisenhower) and I don't really notice it there.

My wife doesn't notice it, but she's from there. My accent now is more stereotypical white Chicagoan but I spent my 20s in bars listening to 50 year old men tell me about why Jim McMahon was da best goddamn quarterback dis team ever ad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

theres actually a lot of interesting stuff going on with california/western us accents in general, its just relatively subtle and mostly interesting to linguistic nerds because american settlements west of the rockies are incredibly new, linguistically speaking.

In many West Coast accents you tend to hear the ongoing -ing vowel shift to a long e sound, i.e. /ˈspiːkiŋ/ instead of /ˈspiːkɪŋ/

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Oi! Those American cunts think they got a bloody accent. S'all the same, sure as Bob's yer uncle!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Oi! Those American cunts think they got a bloody accent. S'all the same, sure as Bob's yer uncle!

blimey! there's a bunch of faakin seppos mincing about finkin they got accents! Boils my piss, it does

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bri*ish

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Too right, mate. Stupid Yanks, let's go listen to J.K. Rowling tell us who to hate and worship 'is Majesty. Brexit means Brexit!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

[sighing as i prepare myself to receive another report on racism against the brits]

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

oakie rear end redneck larry

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

This new Kojima game went in an unexpected direction.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It took me way too long to recognize Coach Z's Midwest roots.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

some plague rats posted:

blimey! there's a bunch of faakin seppos mincing about finkin they got accents! Boils my piss, it does

Im gonna need you to jump out of the near queue and get over there in the far queue

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

some plague rats posted:

every English person who isn't an aristocrat or in a guy ritchie movie sounds like they may in fact be from the same inbred turnip farm but you don't see us pointing it out.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Parrish posted:

every English person who isn't an aristocrat or in a guy ritchie movie sounds like they may in fact be from the same inbred turnip farm but you don't see us pointing it out.

Unfortunately a bunch of those inbred turnips got shipped overseas and formed a country where they keep having opinions

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
there are two types of canadian accent: northern american with the occasional first nations jargon, and hosed up newfie fake irish rhyming garbage

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

larry sighs, then heads out to tend to the crops

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

larry sighs, then heads out to tend to the crops

lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

some plague rats posted:

Unfortunately a bunch of those inbred turnips got shipped overseas and formed a country where they keep having opinions

And they're the only reason anyone except the Irish care about Britain to this very day.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

action the reports, rhino

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Kazinsal posted:

there are two types of canadian accent: northern american with the occasional first nations jargon, and hosed up newfie fake irish rhyming garbage

Newfies own, they're always saying weird silly thing things and I get to laugh at them. 'Where's the bathroom to?' lmao okay John you freak.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

some plague rats posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

newfies do indeed own

i believe big dogs to be superior to small