Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

MetaJew posted:

Is Delboy a bad channel? I was watching his video on rebuilding 4 pot brake calipers. Nothing from that particular video seemed dangerous or sketchy, but I've never watched his channel otherwise.

Opening a hot coolant system is loving insane, tho.

Most of it is just bad practice. He constantly lies and says "the manufacturer recommends doing this" like putting copper grease on the back of brake pads. Occasionally he does incredibly dangerous stuff like the hot coolant video. He also makes out he's done each activity loads of times before but then certain steps in a process surprise him, plus he changed his method from video to video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I think he’s just a guy who works on bikes, and advocates for you to do the same, it’s not that difficult and if you learn enough you can avoid shop fees, etc. This is all cool and good.

But I think he represents as a pro, which is problematic because sometimes he’s just wrong, sometimes he applies clever video editing to make something look easier or better than it is, he deletes oppositional comments as mentioned. Who knows how many viewers have 3rd degree burns from handling hot coolant.

There’s an engineer I used to watch, really rough around the edges, lots of bad language, but has good ways of explaining how parts of the engine work, I forget his name/channel (maybe Matt?). Anyways once in a while he’d post about Delboy just tearing him a new one, it was entertaining for a while.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

epswing posted:

I think he’s just a guy who works on bikes, and advocates for you to do the same, it’s not that difficult and if you learn enough you can avoid shop fees, etc. This is all cool and good.

But I think he represents as a pro, which is problematic because sometimes he’s just wrong, sometimes he applies clever video editing to make something look easier or better than it is, he deletes oppositional comments as mentioned. Who knows how many viewers have 3rd degree burns from handling hot coolant.

There’s an engineer I used to watch, really rough around the edges, lots of bad language, but has good ways of explaining how parts of the engine work, I forget his name/channel (maybe Matt?). Anyways once in a while he’d post about Delboy just tearing him a new one, it was entertaining for a while.

Yeah that's Matt, his channel is Dirty Garage Guy. I think his review of the coolant video is the only place you can find it now.

e: here's his latest video related to one of Del's: (CW, he uses some awful language) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB-EhNAPvAY. For context, Del recently made a video where he replaced the spacers in his Triumph's forks with PVC pipe, claiming that the stock tubes are plastic and therefore it's fine. Turns out, his tube was PP rather than PVC, and the stock tubes are glass fibre reinforced PBT, so someone could have copied his video and dangerously hosed their suspension by putting in lovely spacers which deform after a couple of compressions and lock the forks. To top it off, the stock spacers are sub £10 so it's a tiny amount of money saved by using waste pipe.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 18, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Preload spacers are really only an option if you absolutely cannot get different springs.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
He was using it to jack up the front of the bike for reasons. Del loves loving around with the geometry of bikes with no thought for how it will actually ride. He's currently modifying a Sportster and has raised the rear suspension, added rearsets, put on clip on bars etc.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 18, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Preload spacers are really only an option if you absolutely cannot get different springs.

Eh, there are scenarios where you've got a bike with no preload adjustment where you need to fiddle with it without changing spring rates. But a lot of the time it does come down to trying to improve a $1500 bike without spending a third as much on springs. I err on the side of caution and just use cut up thin walled steel tubing (often itself just spacers discarded from other bikes) or even stacked up big washers if it's only a small change.

I've seen the result of people using PVC (cb500 owners seem to have this brain worm a lot) and it just leads to the fork being packed with white shavings, gross.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
There was a moto repair youtuber who would have a chick in a bikini doing the work in all his videos. Can't vouch for the content because I thought the whole concept was pretty cringe ( and creepy). I recall he only had a couple thousand subscribers too.

Which is just to say it can get quite a bit worse than delboy.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

T Zero posted:

There was a moto repair youtuber who would have a chick in a bikini doing the work in all his videos. Can't vouch for the content because I thought the whole concept was pretty cringe ( and creepy). I recall he only had a couple thousand subscribers too.

I think I'd prefer cringe over dangerous as gently caress for my YouTube instructions. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather not have either, but a face full of boiling coolant seems a bit worse than a lady in a swimsuit.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 19, 2022

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
What are some actually good moto wrenching youtubes for pleasure watching? I watched Ronald Finger's kawasaki series and liked it, and I'll occasionally watch mustie1 when he's doing something interesting but that's it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Invalido posted:

What are some actually good moto wrenching youtubes for pleasure watching? I watched Ronald Finger's kawasaki series and liked it, and I'll occasionally watch mustie1 when he's doing something interesting but that's it.

What makes a video "good" to us doesn't generate clicks so we get what we get. I've seen a few good ones start up and disappear, and it could be because they got discouraged by the algorithm shuffling them to the bottom.

Tangentially related these guys bought the worst new bike I've ever seen. Absolute dogshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSzk5iz726E

Bikes and Beards is ok, the guy does some weird "praise jesus" things here and there but he does call out bad bikes for being bad.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

T Zero posted:

Ah this was the guy and this is what I found when I was looking to replace a brake lever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTXZOEfCBGU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

T Zero posted:

Ah this was the guy and this is what I found when I was looking to replace a brake lever:

My car broke down :airquote:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Gorson posted:

Bikes and Beards is ok, the guy does some weird "praise jesus" things here and there but he does call out bad bikes for being bad.
Skimming through that video and landed on this

Finally, a bible verse about my posts :angel:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I can’t stand Bikes and Beard dude. His channel is just Yammie Noob in the Midwest. Nothing informative, rarely anything interesting, and the channel is so blatantly capitalist that the Bible verses are more offensive than they should be.

My brother is covered in religious tattoos and there are crosses and fish all over his gear. We don’t agree on things, but I respect that its sincere from him. B&B dude is the opposite of sincere.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeah it's a shame most channels are just personalities chasing the algorithm. When I'm looking for how tos, I generally have luck searching for specific years and models, which often gives you much smaller channels from dark garages that tend to focus on the work itself. Very hit and miss though obviously.

Slavvy should start a Patreon imo!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

T Zero posted:

This is top level ADVRIDER Boomer content holy poo poo.

I had to go back into youtube to clear it out of my history

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah it's a shame most channels are just personalities chasing the algorithm. When I'm looking for how tos, I generally have luck searching for specific years and models, which often gives you much smaller channels from dark garages that tend to focus on the work itself. Very hit and miss though obviously.

Slavvy should start a Patreon imo!

I am severely allergic to selling myself and grifting so don't get your hopes up

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Geekboy posted:

I can’t stand Bikes and Beard dude. His channel is just Yammie Noob in the Midwest. Nothing informative, rarely anything interesting, and the channel is so blatantly capitalist that the Bible verses are more offensive than they should be.

My brother is covered in religious tattoos and there are crosses and fish all over his gear. We don’t agree on things, but I respect that its sincere from him. B&B dude is the opposite of sincere.

Let he who is without a $7,000 chinese bike from Amazon cast the first stone

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Geekboy posted:

Yup my bar here is extremely low, I do admit I've only watched maybe 10 of his videos. I watched this Amazon bike one because I'm curious how bad an Amazon bike can be. He also bought an OCC chopper and poo poo all over it. At the very least he's stopping his core audience from making the worst of motorcycle decisions.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've seen one OCC chopper irl and it was the only one I've seen that was genuinely worse built than the ones built by a company literally called redneck engineering.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah the OCC episode of bikes and beards is good content, but the clickbaityness of the channel is terrible. Also the fact that the sunglasses on all the time dude can't wrench. Like not at all.

My favorite wrenching channel is Watch Wes Work. Really good, smart mechanic, great at diagnostics. Funny in a grumpy understated way. He has a dog, a wife and a son who all seem to like him. Has an oldwing. Never mentions politics or religion, no clickbait. He fixes mostly cars but anything from ancient bulldozers to quads really, though I don't think I've ever seen the man work on a motorcycle. I guess what I want from the internet for my personal entertainment is a Wes but with motorcycles.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
There is some UK YouTuber who was popping up in my feed for a while, middle-aged blonde woman with breasts the size of my head who kind of works a bit on a bike while talking to the camera and very obviously not wearing a bra, IIRC. No recollection of her name or anything… it was strange, though.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef

Here4DaGangBang posted:

There is some UK YouTuber who was popping up in my feed for a while, middle-aged blonde woman with breasts the size of my head who kind of works a bit on a bike while talking to the camera and very obviously not wearing a bra, IIRC. No recollection of her name or anything… it was strange, though.

I’ve been down this rabbit hole. Biker Stuff if anyone wants to spend 10 minutes questioning their life choices and cleaning out YouTube history.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I can appreciate people being comfortable enough to do this kind of youtube exhibitionism even if they're not a slender 20 year old. You do your thing, lady.

There's some blacksmithing channel that I forget the name of run by a woman where every thumbnail shows a considerable amount of of cleavage as well, but then the videos mostly only show the anvil and workpiece. Clickbait is a thing because it works.

And speaking of blacksmithing I have at least one female friend who's admitted she watches Alec Steele because she finds him hot, so it works both ways.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Oibignose posted:

I’ve been down this rabbit hole. Biker Stuff if anyone wants to spend 10 minutes questioning their life choices and cleaning out YouTube history.

That’s the one. :)

Collateral Damage posted:

I can appreciate people being comfortable enough to do this kind of youtube exhibitionism even if they're not a slender 20 year old. You do your thing, lady.

Oh, totally. I know I said it was strange but really, good on her. She seems to have plenty of admiring fans and if she’s enjoying it, then more power to her.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
The best thing about it all was she seemed to be genuinely enthusiastic about bikes. Would happily watch more if my YouTube account wasn’t the one the family use on the tv.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

T Zero posted:

Ugh, I managed to chip the paint on my gas tank down to the metal. I think it's from the zipper on my jacket.

Is this something I can fix with a touch up pen from Color Rite? They have the top and base colors for my bike. Anything else I'd need to do?

And given the location, I was thinking I should cover it with a tank pad after I paint it. Is that worthwhile?

Update:

Took it to a paint/body shop. Dropped it off near the end of the day. Picked it up the next day during lunch. $40. Flawless work.

I can't see any signs of a repair. I had to look at the old photo just to remember where the chip was. I'm very impressed.

Geekboy posted:

His channel is just Yammie Noob in the Midwest.

Pennsylvania is not the Midwest :colbert:

My bigger problem with the Bike with Beards guy is that he's lately been leaning more into 2016-era edgy conservative meme-ology (anti- Hillary, anti-feminist stuff - it just seems so dated). I liked the behind the scenes stuff of running a dealership, like going to bike auctions, how he ended up with a stolen bike, and all the stuff you deal with trying to get a new odometer certified.

In my experience, Youtube has actually been pretty good about de-emphasizing boobie-bait. A lot of the cleavage-forward content-makers don't actually get that much traffic or subs. What annoys me is that it does seem to prioritize the shouty, jump-cut, overly dramatic style of gaming streamers. Donut Media to me is the most egregious on this front.

T Zero fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 21, 2022

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

T Zero posted:

Pennsylvania is not the Midwest :colbert:

At least half of it is and you know it.

I saw a few videos where he started leaning that way but stopped before he got all the way there. I dislike him, as a person.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can’t be an edgelord AND have bible verses in your video.

You’ve gotta pick one side or the other

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Invalido posted:

My favorite wrenching channel is Watch Wes Work. Really good, smart mechanic, great at diagnostics.

Just checked him out and he seems pretty good. He works on a bunch of industrial stuff and that doesn't blow my hair back but I watched him fix an old 2.9L Ranger. He explains things in good detail and there's no fluff. He has a knack for troubleshooting.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

T Zero posted:

Update:

Took it to a paint shop. Dropped it off near the end of the day. Picked it up the next day during lunch. $40. Flawless work.

I can't see any signs of a repair. I had to look at the old photo just to remember where the chip was. I'm very impressed.

they did a fabulous job with that, especially for only $40

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Geekboy posted:

At least half of it is and you know it.

I saw a few videos where he started leaning that way but stopped before he got all the way there. I dislike him, as a person.

The Midwest begins at the Mississippi River and ends at the Rocky Mountains :colbert:

T Zero posted:

What annoys me is that it does seem to prioritize the shouty, jump-cut, overly dramatic style of gaming streamers. Donut Media to me is the most egregious on this front.

Anything thumbnail that looks like this is No Click Zone

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Toe Rag posted:

The Midwest begins at the Mississippi River and ends at the Rocky Mountains :colbert:

I think Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin would disagree.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I quite like Donut Media. The American-yelling-at-stuff vibe is not really my thing, but that's just one of the guys and the content is good entertainment.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Donut is great if you take it for what it is: generically fun car content. If you’re looking for detailed technical videos, donut isn’t the place for that.

The hosts seem like genuinely good people, which in this day and age is refreshing

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yeah, Donut is entertaining, I like watching mechanics watch facebook/youtube/tiktok videos about car hacks (most of which are awful), etc.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

they did a fabulous job with that, especially for only $40

Yeah that's really good, fixing chips and getting it to match is difficult. I see some swirling in the paint, you could fix it with a little polish and elbow grease. Unless you don't see the swirls, in which case ignore me! Swirl-ignorance is bliss.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Donut is great if you take it for what it is: generically fun car content. If you’re looking for detailed technical videos, donut isn’t the place for that.

The hosts seem like genuinely good people, which in this day and age is refreshing

Another +1 for donut; the only shouty guy is the main host and he isn’t awful; they even took a pretty funny swipe at traditional car competition shows with made up intense deadlines “if we don’t get these turbos on in 90 minutes my wife will leave me”

High low is pretty fun, I hope they do one with motorcycles but idk how many mods you can really add to bikes ( compared to cars), maybe turn some hyabusas into drag racers?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can do loads of poo poo but most of it is only perceptible to the rider and most riders are garbage at turning sensation into words other people can understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Is there any rider who is good at that?