Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Annabel Pee posted:

The guy (sorry I never pick up on anyone's names) saying he was considering not revealing the amoeba bit if the first part went better was a hilarious example of that behind the scenes stuff.

That was Will Hines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Mr. Squishy posted:

One newish Scott bit I really like is openly criticising his guests improv. Near the end of a character segment he'll say "and is that everything?" and the guest tends to wither.

Love the “so you’re from the south?” for any character Drew Target plays

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Will Hines getting bullied into a different story is one of my favorite features of the show.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
His character getting accused of being a murderer each episode of You Can't Handle the Sleuths is also very funny.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
And how he Yes, And-ed his way into admitting to murder in the second episode and has been struggling to reconcile his innocence ever since.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Something about Carl Tart’s Barkley makes me so happy

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I always skip the best of clips in the best ofs. It's just Scott and Paul being particularly deranged.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Besson posted:

Something about Carl Tart’s Barkley makes me so happy

Same, I think the first I heard him was his guest appearance on You can't handle the sleuths, the way he says "I'm a sleuth" is just so pure

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Interesting that Jason requested Bob Ducca. I hope that means he's a fan of him. I guess he wouldn't be in all those episodes of Full Throttle if he wasn't.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
"Number one. Seven."

"Now... I need to address the elephant in the room."

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ohlode/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

Found Shimmy irl.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Me, seeing that meal: Gotta go!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't eat or cook a lot of seafood but that's a lot of butter right

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ainsley McTree posted:

He definitely just used the "Tablespoon" demarcations on the wrapper ("That's clearly meant to be a serving size" in his crappy Shimmy voice)

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Ainsley McTree posted:

That’s like half a stick of butter when he needs like a tablespoon at most

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s been a while (ahem) but I remember Mary Holland’s segment being way funnier than Lauren’s on that Fourdom episode for the clip they used.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Likely unpopular opinion: I think the Calvins Twins have been a textbook case of diminishing returns. An all-time original appearance, and then every revisit just serves to complicate the premise while chipping away at what made it work originally (Two idiots who devote their lives to a shared love of seeing horses fight to the death. You gotta laugh!)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

My really unpopular opinion is I never found the Calvin Twins funny (except for the catchphrase), and I don't really like most Shaun Diston characters.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

JethroMcB posted:

Likely unpopular opinion: I think the Calvins Twins have been a textbook case of diminishing returns. An all-time original appearance, and then every revisit just serves to complicate the premise while chipping away at what made it work originally (Two idiots who devote their lives to a shared love of seeing horses fight to the death. You gotta laugh!)

It’s like that with pretty much all the recurring episodes of CBB. I get why you’d want to do that, but it’s always diminishing returns and plus it gets to the point where I’d rather have these guys that I find really funny doing something else together rather than rehashing the same bits.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nichael posted:

My really unpopular opinion is I never found the Calvin Twins funny (except for the catchphrase), and I don't really like most Shaun Diston characters.

This. And also I'll definitely be skipping the first snow of the year because I like Schwartz but he and Scott are annoying together.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I've never been a solo bolo fan, but I think those ones have always been divisive

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I love Solo Bolo because Scott often finds a new way to get Schwartz's projects wrong. And I just love Schwartz in general.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is it definitely a solo bolo? I get not having Horatio back but surely there's plenty of other guests instead. Last year's New Year's show was an all-timer

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Senator Giroux posted:

It’s like that with pretty much all the recurring episodes of CBB. I get why you’d want to do that, but it’s always diminishing returns and plus it gets to the point where I’d rather have these guys that I find really funny doing something else together rather than rehashing the same bits.

Time Bobby is probably the biggest example of this for me, especially when it got to the point that Scott would steer Moynihan into being Fourvel. I think Todd stayed fairly fresh, though.

I also don’t really like the Solo Bolos but I’ll listen to this New Year’s given last year’s was so great.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Chairman Capone posted:

Time Bobby is probably the biggest example of this for me, especially when it got to the point that Scott would steer Moynihan into being Fourvel. I think Todd stayed fairly fresh, though.

I think there's a difference between characters like Todd coming back repeatedly and entire show concepts, like the Calvins Twins or Time Bobby. Single characters get the benefit of interacting with new people.

(Farts and Procreation is an exception to this. The first one is the best but every other one is pretty drat close.)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I like the Time Bobby episodes because I'm a simpleton, and it's forever cursed "It's been" for me.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

This. And also I'll definitely be skipping the first snow of the year because I like Schwartz but he and Scott are annoying together.

I wish they'd stop making the plug bag themes. They're always awful.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I wish they'd stop making the plug bag themes. They're always awful.

Oh no.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I was listening to the PFT tribute panel at SF Sketchfest 2019 and Carla Cackowski (as an audience member) asked how he got so good at improv, given that he has no training.

I'd never thought about that before, but jeez.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

he's "street smart" (Tompkins, Paul F., Freak Wharf, A Special Thing Records, 2009.)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
he's my favorite comedian and I'm glad he is the Mayor of Podcasts

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Kind of makes you wonder how much "improv training" is horseshit, doesn't it?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think a big key to PFT is that he seems to focus on making sure the people he's performing with are having fun rather than fighting them for laughs.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
If practice makes perfect then his 99,999+ hours of podcasting has definitely been some practice!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Two episodes of the Batmin show in a row while I’m patiently waiting for a Hey Randy Christmas special or something? Rude.

(I’m sure it’s good, I haven’t had time to get into it yet.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The first Batmin is so-so but the second is an absolute home run with an audio drop gag that's so good, they should have ended the episode early (Referencing the Richard Gere urban legend and IMMEDIATELY hitting a cut-off version of the Batman '66 scene transition sting.)

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 28, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SpacePig posted:

I think a big key to PFT is that he seems to focus on making sure the people he's performing with are having fun rather than fighting them for laughs.

This is more or less one of the core tenets of improv training.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
There is a benefit to improv training that has nothing to do with actually teaching improv techniques. A good teacher will call out the bad habits of students and let them know they shouldn't respond to someones offer with "No, you're crazy and I've got a gun so you better respect mah authoritah!, now watch this wacky dance!"

Half of intro improv classes are introverts trying to get out of their shell, and the other half are people that think the class is a competition that they must dominate. They have a zero sum laugh mentality, which shockingly isn't good for creating laughs.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

feedmyleg posted:

This is more or less one of the core tenets of improv training.

someone should tell Besser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
lol

I mean yeah. Besser was a much better fit with improv when it was more experimental and loud and weird.

In modern improv he's not great to begin with, and has been lapped a million times over by people from his school. Every single time he does a "pitch me ideas that I can shoot down and tell you what you're doing wrong" scene I groan especially hard.