Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if Justin here wasn't such a heretic maybe he'd have some better takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Yup, it turns out it is indeed a war.

Speaking of which, Russia is running out of missiles again.

https://twitter.com/anno1540/status/1604764133534097409

There was an interview in recent days and guy talked a lot of poo poo.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The last thing they are going to do is be honest with the public.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Waffle House posted:

And it has not gotten less true lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this was the guy that was stalking Elon Musk???

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

this was the guy that was stalking Elon Musk???

A good chance at least

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Facehammer posted:

The pipeline was blown up on the orders of Liz Truss. I don't know or particularly care the details of how or why, but it's the funniest possible reason, so that's what I choose to believe.

wrong

her day collar tells you her dom ordered the op

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Speaking of which, Russia is running out of missiles again.

https://twitter.com/anno1540/status/1604764133534097409

There was an interview in recent days and guy talked a lot of poo poo.

Ardennes posted:

The last thing they are going to do is be honest with the public.
https://twitter.com/GueberB/status/1604134746426331136

one weird trick lmao

It's from a rather lengthy interview here I think https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-ato...llejtenant.html if anyone wants to take a crack at it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
it's one those times where it seems pointless to lie, whichever side is doing it. We will see who's right in time. It's like when the west said Russia was out of ammo in like March but now the war is still going. What was the point in that lie?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:umberto:

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's one those times where it seems pointless to lie, whichever side is doing it. We will see who's right in time. It's like when the west said Russia was out of ammo in like March but now the war is still going. What was the point in that lie?

I don’t think they were lying they were just owning themselves by looking at their own supplies and going “drat at this rate we would be out of ammo!” and then posting about it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://www.rferl.org/a/canada-sanctions-nord-stream-turbines/32177603.html

quote:

Canada says it will revoke a time-limited sanctions waiver that allowed turbines for Nord Stream 1, Russia's biggest gas pipeline to Europe, to be repaired in Montreal and returned to Germany. Nord Stream 1 was shut down for repairs on August 31 but never restarted and was subsequently damaged by explosions in September. "Canada is making this decision recognizing that the circumstances around granting the waiver have changed. It no longer serves its intended purpose," Foreign Minister Melanie Joly and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson said in a joint statement on December 14.

lmfao oh nooooo, not the turbines!!!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Revoking a waiver to fix a pipeline that has already been blown up for months is the effective response we've come to expect from the libs

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

the main point of shitlib politics is to let said shitlibs feel good about themselves, and as such the messaging will always be that russia is some inherently inferior backwards hick country that can't do anything right

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
waffen house was stalking elon musk lmfao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

the main point of shitlib politics is to let said shitlibs feel good about themselves, and as such the messaging will always be that russia is some inherently inferior backwards hick country that can't do anything right

It also has given the Russians a continual opening even despite honest screw ups. If you can only underestimate your enemy, it gives them a potential advantage.

Overall, the Russian economy is projected to decline 2.5%, a fairly standard recession, but it has to be played up that Russia is on the brink of collapse.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's also: hey russia's nearly out of ammo, big zelly z only needs 300 billion more dollars to bring back the W

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

supersnowman posted:

Probably already more rebuilding done than the US did in Iraq/Afghanistan.

literally yes. the two largest residency related building projects America built were a luxury hotel across from the embassy that the western contractors abandoned 1/3 of the way through (still an empty shell last i checked) and then another one to replace that one that actually did get built. building homes was extremely rare, and only done as part of preplanned deals with villages near Kabul that they destroyed because they were harboring Taliban. The quality of the buildings were such a downgrade compared to the literal mud and stone huts they replaced that no-one ever moved into them. They're just these weird concrete cube-barracks full of wasps. And generally speaking in Afghanistan, up until the pullout the best housing you could aspire to as an Afghan were the old apartment blocks built by the Communist government and the Soviets which are still pretty decent fifty years on.

Fake schools (for photoshoots and "I GUARDED A SCHOOL" bullshit troop stories to feel less bad about their naked barbarism) and fake power plants were the actual main priority besides the ever important basebuilding. The largest infrastructure project was Kabuls diesel power plant that never operated above 1% capacity because Afghanistan has no loving oil or refineries and the diesel had to be driven from Karachi by truck through the most psychotically dangerous overland route in the world. Thoughts of importing from Iran or the former Soviet Union were, of course, unthinkable. Naturally the Afghanistan government was contractually on the hook to pay operation costs after construction despite it being worthless and doing nothing. The energy minister in charge of the project and later the entire energy grid was a plucky Afghan-American millennial from a standard middle class background who now owns a mansion in the Gulf with an in-home gym larger than the paid one I go to.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The archbishop of Canterbury used to be an oil company exec of course he's a stupid rear end in a top hat

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I once ripped a horrible nasty fart in the presence of the archbishop of canterbury

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

supersnowman posted:

Probably already more rebuilding done than the US did in Iraq/Afghanistan.

are we allowed to quote things from the old thread because that time a gbs (?) poster sincerely claimed that 'at least the US helped rebuild afghanistan' was an all-timer.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/politblogme/status/1604453262199226371

Oh no, another one of the 0.001% of ukranian society is hogging the camera. :ohdear:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

crepeface posted:

are we allowed to quote things from the old thread because that time a gbs (?) poster sincerely claimed that 'at least the US helped rebuild afghanistan' was an all-timer.

there's never been any rule against quoting stuff from in cspam, and you can even quote stuff from other subs if you're using someone's fairly recent (like not years old) and directly relevant post history against them

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zedhe Khoja posted:

the two largest residency related building projects America built were a luxury hotel across from the embassy that the western contractors abandoned 1/3 of the way through (still an empty shell last i checked)

lol thinking about how the media covered the large pyramidal hotel in Pyongyang as supposed evidence of the regime's decay

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

paul_soccer12 posted:

David brooks ftl

Lmao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

speng31b posted:

there's never been any rule against quoting stuff from in cspam, and you can even quote stuff from other subs if you're using someone's fairly recent (like not years old) and directly relevant post history against them

i thought things had changed with The GBS Counteroffensive

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

crepeface posted:

um actually i think you'll find that the us helped massively in the rebuilding of afghanistan's opium production :smuggo:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Ardennes posted:

Hopefully, it is better than that Polish Company of Heroes clone, it may take the cake as far as limited mechanics go. Dune 2 had more depth.

A "Polish Company of Heroes" What the hell does that look like?? :roflolmao:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ukraine is asking Denmark for some of our CAESAR artillery, which haven't even been delivered to us by France yet. By that standard they might as well ask for some of our F-35s, which are currently in Texas.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Futanari Damacy posted:

One mission where you fight the Germans and twenty where you rat on Jewish partisans

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

i thought things had changed with The GBS Counteroffensive

the only proscription was specific to SYQ-ing the non-CSPAM Ukraine threads, into this Ukraine thread

pretty sure it's still fair game anywhere else

or at least until we manage to stir enough poo poo across a different thread pairing

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
i think syqing any non-cspam thread into this thread would invite more trouble than its worth tbh, there is funny enough poo poo on twitter or reddit to syq

speng31b
May 8, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

the only proscription was specific to SYQ-ing the non-CSPAM Ukraine threads, into this Ukraine thread

pretty sure it's still fair game anywhere else

or at least until we manage to stir enough poo poo across a different thread pairing

yeah, this. laughing at something someone posted in cspam will never be against the rules

e: you can also still syq outside of this thread if you really want to, though most people don't and it's not really funny unless it's fairly rare anyhow

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Futanari Damacy posted:

it had mechs and was apparently mediocre.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

i think syqing any non-cspam thread into this thread would invite more trouble than its worth tbh, there is funny enough poo poo on twitter or reddit to syq

it's currently against the rules in this thread, with the only loophole being for quoting someone's post history from another thread if they're trying to be dumb about stuff itt, which is still a legal form of cross quote even here

speng31b has issued a correction as of 15:45 on Dec 19, 2022

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Futanari Damacy posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/826630/Iron_Harvest/

it manages to have a lot of things that are like "yeah I want that in my RTS!!" yet does not manage to put them together in a way that I was like "yup this is fun"

edit: actually that one is German -- here is the COH clone from Poland:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/620590/Ancestors_Legacy/

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

SplitSoul posted:

Ukraine is asking Denmark for some of our CAESAR artillery, which haven't even been delivered to us by France yet. By that standard they might as well ask for some of our F-35s, which are currently in Texas.

Even the pro-war folks have got to be sick of them asking for all of our best poo poo, as if we've given them nothing

What did you do with all the poo poo we already gave you? gently caress off, we're empty.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I wanted to like Iron Harvest but yeah it's dull as gently caress. The mech combat doesn't feel fun and that's the entire gimmick of the setting. Such a shame.

Ancestor legacy is fun enough for the first couple of 'missions' but then you realise you've seen everything but there's like 20 more hours of game. It's also made by the Hatred guys so the whole viking worship stuff is a bit.... suspect

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

crepeface posted:

You probably mean this one.

thekeeshman posted:

How am I arguing in bad faith? What positions do you think I'm espousing that I don't really believe?

And lol that you blindly take a PR statement from someone in the Kremlin as evidence of anything. Your link doesn't even mention a monetary amount, such solid plans. Russia's been in control of large parts of Ukraine since 2014, how much aid and investment have they put into those regions? What makes you think things are going to be different this time?

But it's very funny to see that you think idle Russian musings are more real than the billions of dollars the US actually put into rebuilding Iraq and Afghanistan.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

supersnowman posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

supersnowman posted: