Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Judgy Fucker posted:

Surely Trump could get one rigged up at mar-a-lago, what's the hold up?

That's literally the most surprising part of this to me. They can't make another one?!

I suppose "can't" might be in giant air quotes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Trump has tried to get every government agency - from the GSA and National Archives to the Secret Service - to pay rent or fund the costs of Mar-a-Lago as an active "Office of the ex-President" because of the Oval Office recreation/workspace he created there.
I don't know why, but of all of the listed insanity, this one gets to me. Just a beautiful collage of pathetic attempted grift.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

So I think it’s fair to say that he’s not actually running for President, because he’s literally doing none of the work any other candidate would be doing.

This is honestly kind of a good test to see how much campaigning is actually necessary.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

So I think it’s fair to say that he’s not actually running for President, because he’s literally doing none of the work any other candidate would be doing.

I can think of at least 3 reasons why he would think what he's doing counts as running.

1) He expects to get in from pure Republican inertia. The party at large still loved him as of a few weeks ago, with DeSantis being the only real contender.

2) He doesn't think he needs to start campaigning yet, and just got the grift trainfundraising started early. The election is still 2 years out, remember.

3) He still believes that he's the president, and ANY DAY NOW the election is going to be overturned and he will ascend to resume his rightful place as Der FuhrerEl Presidente The President as he tears down the tyrannical Constitution that was prohibiting him from being President-for-Life.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
Seems self-explanatory: No electrician will work for him without payment in advance; he won’t pay in advance.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

There is a season 5 episode about the Reagan expy who missed being President and thought Bartlett hated him, Bartlet and his wife go to Replica Oval there.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Randalor posted:

I can think of at least 3 reasons why he would think what he's doing counts as running.

1) He expects to get in from pure Republican inertia. The party at large still loved him as of a few weeks ago, with DeSantis being the only real contender.

2) He doesn't think he needs to start campaigning yet, and just got the grift trainfundraising started early. The election is still 2 years out, remember.

3) He still believes that he's the president, and ANY DAY NOW the election is going to be overturned and he will ascend to resume his rightful place as Der FuhrerEl Presidente The President as he tears down the tyrannical Constitution that was prohibiting him from being President-for-Life.

I frankly don't give a poo poo what he thinks.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Solkanar512 posted:

There's not a lot someone like him needs to do right now. Visiting early states to get his name out there isn't needed. All he really needs to do is raise money. It's still very early.

We all know he declared early because he thought it would prevent him from being investigated / indicted.

Though, I think he'll pull out if he thinks he'll lose the nomination.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BDawg posted:

There's not a lot someone like him needs to do right now. Visiting early states to get his name out there isn't needed. All he really needs to do is raise money. It's still very early.

We all know he declared early because he thought it would prevent him from being investigated / indicted.

Though, I think he'll pull out if he thinks he'll lose the nomination.

He at the very least needs permanent staff.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

He at the very least needs permanent staff.

We should all have learned to make confident predictions about what it takes to win the presidency after the constant drumbeat that Trump couldn’t win in 2016 and then Biden winning after running a shoestring campaign that barely got its pants zipped up before SC.

I am no longer a betting man.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Epic Games has to pay over half a billion dollars (roughly a quarter billion of which has to be distributed to customers who made purchases from them) for tracking children's data and designing their in-game Fortnite store to trick people into making unintended purchases.

The in-game Fortnite store registered over $200 million in unintended purchases from a design that allowed one-button purchases and could trigger when trying to wake the game from sleep mode, while the game was in a loading screen, or by pressing a nearby button when simply trying to preview an item.

Part of it is a $275 million penalty for collecting user data from children under 13 without warning them or their parents. It is the largest fine ever issued by the FTC for breaking a privacy rule.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1604857880242438144

quote:

Video game company Epic Games will pay a total of $520 million in penalties and refunds to settle complaints involving children’s privacy and methods that tricked players into making purchases, U.S. federal regulators said Monday.

The Federal Trade Commission said that it has secured the record-breaking settlements for two cases from Epic Games Inc., which makes the popular games Fortnite.

“Epic used privacy-invasive default settings and deceptive interfaces that tricked Fortnite users, including teenagers and children,” FTC Chair Lina Khan said in a statement.

The company is refunding $245 million to customers who fell victim to so-called “dark patterns” and billing practices.

Dark patterns are deceptive online techniques used to nudge users into doing things they didn’t intend to do.

In this case, “Fortnite’s counterintuitive, inconsistent, and confusing button configuration led players to incur unwanted charges based on the press of a single button,” the FTC said.

Players could, for example, be charged while trying to wake the game from sleep mode, while the game was in a loading screen, or by pressing a nearby button when simply trying to preview an item, it said.

“These tactics led to hundreds of millions of dollars in unauthorized charges for consumers,” the FTC said.

Epic Games said it’s making the payment to resolve concerns over “past designs of the Fortnite item shop and refund systems.” The FTC will use distribute the money “to Epic customers at their discretion,” the company said.

“Statutes written decades ago don’t specify how gaming ecosystems should operate,” the company said. “The laws have not changed, but their application has evolved and long-standing industry practices are no longer enough.”

In the second case, Epic Games agreed to pay a $275 million fine for collecting personal information on Fortnite players under the age of 13 without informing their parents or getting their consent.

It’s the biggest penalty ever issued for breaking an FTC rule.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

For comparison, Fortnite makes like $4 billion a year. $500 million is something like 2.5 percent of their total profits.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I am glad that corporations can continue to make money by breaking laws and are punished by simply forcing them give back a fraction of the profits they made by breaking laws. Sure sounds totally reasonable and not dystopian.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Clarste posted:

I am glad that corporations can continue to make money by breaking laws and are punished by simply forcing them give back a fraction of the profits they made by breaking laws. Sure sounds totally reasonable and not dystopian.

In this instance, they had to give back all the money they made during that time period + 90% extra in penalties.

They made approximately $275 million in unauthorized purchases and are paying $520 million.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah but then you also have to consider all the times they don't get caught so it works out to be reasonable risk for them to take that won't sting much even if it fails.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Like imagine if the punishment for burglary was to just give back what they took and pay for the broken window.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Clarste posted:

Like imagine if the punishment for burglary was to just give back what they took and pay for the broken window.

Isn't this what the punishment should be?

How do we calculate some amount of "crimes we assume you committed?"

We saw Jean Valjean stealing a loaf of bread, but we assume he's done that ten times before, so he should be in jail for fifty- five years. Do you see an issue with this policy?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Clarste posted:

That would in fact be preferable to what we have. Restorative justice is good. Lower penalties for property crimes is good.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Clarste posted:

Yeah but then you also have to consider all the times they don't get caught so it works out to be reasonable risk for them to take that won't sting much even if it fails.

All the times they didn't get caught doing what? The thing they got in trouble for wasn't making Fortnite in general.

Clarste posted:

Like imagine if we were talking about a crime instead of a voluntary settlement of a regulatory complaint.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Clarste posted:

your complaint was they have to pay "a fraction of the profits they made by breaking laws"

here, they have paid double that, which solves your complaint. if you want to take into account all the other times they don't get caught (i mean they're a video game company, how much lawbreaking do you think they're doing) what are the things you think they're getting away with

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The penalty for burglary should be you have to eat everything you stole.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's the largest such fine ever, and one of many indications the FTC under this administration is being unusually muscular. A really strange choice for futility rhetoric.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

evilweasel posted:

what are the things you think they're getting away with

No ethical consumption under lifecapitalism, perhaps?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Push El Burrito posted:

The penalty for burglary should be you have to eat everything you stole.

drat, teaches me right for breaking into the dildo shop...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fell Fire posted:

We saw Jean Valjean stealing a loaf of bread, but we assume he's done that ten times before, so he should be in jail for fifty- five years. Do you see an issue with this policy?

That is what it should be. Unfortunately, that's the treatment that the rich get while the rest of us plebes get prison or worse.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's the largest such fine ever, and one of many indications the FTC under this administration is being unusually muscular. A really strange choice for futility rhetoric.

"Largest fine ever" and "still not enough" are not exclusive concepts.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The greatest scam ever pulled was convincing the public that Al Gore was boring. I won't claim he was good, but whenever I see him he's funny.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Data Graham posted:

The conversation has moved on but I'd like to say something as one of those computer touchers who has a stake of some kind in having predicted Twitter's collapse by now.

As a fellow computer toucher, I deleted my Twitter account both out of solidarity with the Twitter workers, and out of pure self-interest. Tech workers are some of the only workers who are still treated decently, often making enough money to live comfortably and given nice working conditions. This drives the managerial class crazy, and they (and apparently some misguided leftists) are eagerly waiting to see if they can get away with slashing jobs, pay, and benefits to put the tech workers in their place, and do so without jeopardizing the company. Every tech worker should be doing everything they can to help push twitter into failure in order to show the bosses that they still need the workers.

This, plus the round of layoffs across tech, has convinced me to finally join my tech company's employee union, as well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fell Fire posted:

Okay, but this is the logic of lawyers who go "Oh, so they should be denied due process?" when anyone says they shouldn't represent polluters or munitions manufacturers.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Reminder that crimes are for the little people.

The biggest form of theft is wage theft and that's not even a crime.

When corporations do bad it's just an "oopsie" or regulatory concern and god help you if you don't have a lawyer available to force them to pay for robbing you.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sir Lemming posted:

That's literally the most surprising part of this to me. They can't make another one?!

I suppose "can't" might be in giant air quotes...

no one working for trump wants to be the gofer, conversely no one working at mar a lago for whatever pittance they pay wants to deal with it either and there's no way trump is hiring someone to actually be on that duty full time

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jaxyon posted:

Reminder that crimes are for the little people.

The biggest form of theft is wage theft and that's not even a crime.

When corporations do bad it's just an "oopsie" or regulatory concern and god help you if you don't have a lawyer available to force them to pay for robbing you.

Wage theft is a crime and people do get punished when they get caught. The thing that makes wage theft so big is that most employees don't know their rights or don't want to report/fight over it. That's why every big number when they calculate wage theft is just a wide estimate since the vast majority goes unreported.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wage theft is a crime and people do get punished when they get caught. The thing that makes wage theft so big is that most employees don't know their rights or don't want to report/fight over it. That's why every big number when they calculate wage theft is just a wide estimate since the vast majority goes unreported.

I'm wrong, it is a crime, but it's rarely prosecuted and I don't know of anyone who goes to jail, as I certainly would if stole similar amounts.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Raskin laying down the criminal referrals gently caress yeah

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Fell Fire posted:

I do. Your math is incorrect.

“Five years for what you did” x11
“The rest because you tried to run” = “19 years a slave of the law” - 5 = 14

So 5x11+14 = 69 years (nice)

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Kloaked00 posted:

I do. Your math is incorrect.

“Five years for what you did” x11
“The rest because you tried to run” = “19 years a slave of the law” - 5 = 14

So 5x11+14 = 69 years (nice)

Yes, 2-4-6-0-1

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Data Graham posted:

The conversation has moved on but I'd like to say something as one of those computer touchers who has a stake of some kind in having predicted Twitter's collapse by now.

I want to understand why it hasn't.

Going back to what I was on about before, saying it isn't experiencing a collapse usually means that the criteria for certified collapse is something like "immediate cessation of function" like you visit the website and it's got a picture of a sad bird with a sorry, we're having difficulties message or something. But outages are just a piece of the picture.

We're pretty likely to have some exposes on twitter come out in the future which will certify that musk has already imploded the revenue generation systems of twitter that enable its sustained function

his subsequent cashouts of billions of tesla stock will probably turn out to be him shelving out massive quantities of his own wealth to stay current on payments

if musk already did the thing which terminally impacted the company's function (alienating the income base of advertisers and causing an existential revenue exodus) then the collapse has already happened. at that point musk can point out any bullshit metrics for success he wants and it's the same as being the captain of the titanic and saying "sinking? ha! an entire half of the boat has never been higher"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Totally normal thing that we still have no explanation for why it happens only in the U.S.

The U.S. now accounts for 97% of all child death by firearms in the top 40 wealthiest countries.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1604560214333816832

quote:

A portrait of an American tragedy.

LaVonte’e Williams couldn’t read yet, but he loved the Bible. His grandfather even called him Preacher. In August, a day after his baptism, he accidentally shot himself at a park and died at just 5 years old.

Juan Carlos Robles-Corona Jr. had mastered viral TikTok dances. He would perform them at an Auntie Anne’s, where he and his mother worked. In April, he was shot to death near his school in an unsolved killing. He was 15 years old.

Angellyh Yambo prided herself on befriending people considered “annoying or strange.” She drew elaborate sketches on her iPad and liked watching horror movies. In April, a few months after her Sweet 16 birthday, she was killed by a stray bullet while walking outside after school.

LaVonte’e, Juan Carlos and Angellyh were just three of the thousands of children killed or injured by gun violence this year in the U.S. The New York Times Magazine devoted its upcoming issue, published online today, to their stories and those of nine others for its annual The Lives They Lived feature.

The stories are devastating, and I hope you’ll take some time to read them today. They are also representative of a uniquely American problem.

An enduring tragedy

Many Americans are so accustomed to the daily toll of gun violence that they may not realize how much of an outlier the U.S. is for anything related to firearms. Outside of mass shootings like the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School (which happened 10 years ago yesterday), killings of children rarely get much attention. So I want to explain how different the U.S. is when it comes to gun deaths among teenagers and younger children.

Guns are now the No. 1 cause of deaths among American children and teens, ahead of car crashes, other injuries and congenital disease.

In other rich countries, gun deaths are not even among the top four causes of death, a recent Kaiser Family Foundation report found. The U.S. accounts for 97 percent of gun-related child deaths among similarly large and wealthy countries, despite making up just 46 percent of this group’s overall population.

If the U.S. had gun death rates similar to Canada’s, about 26,000 fewer children would have died since 2010, according to Kaiser. But the trend has been going in the opposite direction: Gun deaths among teens and younger kids have gone up in the U.S., while they have declined elsewhere. The victims are disproportionately people of color, most often Black boys.

Why is America such an outlier? Because it has many more guns, as I explained here. The U.S. has more guns than people. This abundance of guns makes it much easier for anyone to carry out an act of violence with a firearm in America than in any other wealthy country.

This is not to say that other countries don’t have violence. Obviously, they do. But when a gun is involved, as is more likely in the U.S., death is a much more likely result.

That outcome is reflected in the statistics, but also in the tragic stories of the children whose lives were cut short.

The NYT also did a series of longer profiles on some of the kids killed by gun violence in the last year in the U.S.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/12/14/magazine/gun-violence-america-child-deaths.html

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 19, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

VikingofRock posted:

As a fellow computer toucher, I deleted my Twitter account both out of solidarity with the Twitter workers, and out of pure self-interest. Tech workers are some of the only workers who are still treated decently, often making enough money to live comfortably and given nice working conditions. This drives the managerial class crazy, and they (and apparently some misguided leftists) are eagerly waiting to see if they can get away with slashing jobs, pay, and benefits to put the tech workers in their place, and do so without jeopardizing the company. Every tech worker should be doing everything they can to help push twitter into failure in order to show the bosses that they still need the workers.

This, plus the round of layoffs across tech, has convinced me to finally join my tech company's employee union, as well.

Yeah seriously. I feel like a hack and a fraud because I'm making good money while people are struggling, and to bleat about how much I want Twitter to implode in order to save my own sorry skin feels like the bougiest poo poo short of taking up butterfly-netting. I should be the first under the guillotines, I'll freely admit.

But having society take the lesson home that "actually we don't need skilled labor" and to live even more on the uninsured ragged edge of instant gratification and no long-term investment or planning — that's the solid opposite of what we want to be teaching a society to do. It's a perfect recipe for collapse as soon as the last wave of profit-taking grifters have run for the hills, and they'll survive while the rest of the world burns.

I want to keep the ladder down, even if I'm volunteering to be crab-crawled at the edge of the bucket.

e: for the record I'm watching the top dogs at my company passing this video around on slack and telling each other that Twitter should burn along with all the kombucha swilling yoga-practicing airheads in it, and "this can't be a joke, it sure looks real to me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkQbHyLE6Tc

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 19, 2022

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

...I'm going to take away from this "cars got so much safer" because I feel like I can influence car safety more than outlawing guns at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jaxyon posted:

I'm wrong, it is a crime, but it's rarely prosecuted and I don't know of anyone who goes to jail, as I certainly would if stole similar amounts.

it's not rarely prosecuted or (or rarely enforced more strictly speaking) whatsoever, the scale of it is just huge

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 19, 2022