Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I bought one of those wobble boards and it's fantastic with my standing desk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I have have been iffy about dropping a lot of money on a chair. I had a Herman Miller aeron for many years and only when I became a permanent wfh person in 2019 did I discover that the chair was actually painful to my thighs to sit in for long durations. Considering that's a top tier chair I have been reluctant to spend a bunch of money on another chair that's not gonna cut it. I'm using a staples mesh chair right now that's not comfy in different ways. Maybe my body just hates mesh

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
What I love about chairs is when they discontinue the one I bought the last couple of times and they can't tell me what the replacement model or equivalent. Guess I will pointlessly look for chairs again till I find the right one.

Today I was interviewed by upper management on why my technical documentation output has decreased dramatically. I was #1 so of course they were concerned.

I explained they shutdown our Confluence on-premise instance (and I don't blame them because of how lovely Atlassian treats their customers these days) and shifted us to word documents without an actual replacement. The promise that others were going to contribute more because SharePoint is so much better never amounted to much. The 2-3 people including myself actually writing documentation are now just as lazy as the rest of the department so it's even worse now in shared knowledge management.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sepist posted:

I have have been iffy about dropping a lot of money on a chair. I had a Herman Miller aeron for many years and only when I became a permanent wfh person in 2019 did I discover that the chair was actually painful to my thighs to sit in for long durations. Considering that's a top tier chair I have been reluctant to spend a bunch of money on another chair that's not gonna cut it. I'm using a staples mesh chair right now that's not comfy in different ways. Maybe my body just hates mesh

You're not alone in feeling this way about Aerons and mesh chairs in general, I ended up getting a very nice cushion from Purple to put on my Aeron and never looked back. I think the trick is that mesh chairs work well if you're wearing like... real pants, but not so great if you're in more casual WFH attire.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Podima posted:

You're not alone in feeling this way about Aerons and mesh chairs in general, I ended up getting a very nice cushion from Purple to put on my Aeron and never looked back. I think the trick is that mesh chairs work well if you're wearing like... real pants, but not so great if you're in more casual WFH attire.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna wear pants in my own home

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A great chair costs less than an average laptop and lasts 4x as long

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My steelcase leap is a godsend. Also don't slouch on keeping a good posture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqcOCBb4arc

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sepist posted:

Yeah, the chair thread generally recommends against mesh. Like the knife thread, they also recommend trying before buying because it's very subjective. Also, keep an eye out for local sales if you live in an area with tech offices because lol, they suddenly have a lot of chairs that they don't need!

Check out the chair thread, everyone! It's real good!

ghostinmyshell posted:

Today I was interviewed by upper management on why my technical documentation output has decreased dramatically. I was #1 so of course they were concerned.

I explained they shutdown our Confluence on-premise instance (and I don't blame them because of how lovely Atlassian treats their customers these days) and shifted us to word documents without an actual replacement. The promise that others were going to contribute more because SharePoint is so much better never amounted to much. The 2-3 people including myself actually writing documentation are now just as lazy as the rest of the department so it's even worse now in shared knowledge management.

I don't blame you one bit. I won't document unless I'm using Confluence or something exactly like it. People who don't document or even use documentation will be the first to say that Word documents and SharePoint are fine.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

App13
Dec 31, 2011

This made em audibly chuckle while in a bathroom stall so now I’m stuck here until the place clears out

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, the chair thread generally recommends against mesh. Like the knife thread, they also recommend trying before buying because it's very subjective. Also, keep an eye out for local sales if you live in an area with tech offices because lol, they suddenly have a lot of chairs that they don't need!

Check out the chair thread, everyone! It's real good!

One of the benefits of working a not-for-profit is that we get donations of the expensive bank executive chairs every couple of years when a local branch upgrades. I'm sitting in a very comfortable leather one at the moment.

I did finally spend the money to replace my cheap-poo poo chair at home with a proper gaming chair that I'm quite happy with though.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

tehinternet posted:

While we’re talking ergo, if you work from home or sit 8+ hours a day, don’t cheap out on your office chair. I was getting all kinds of little pains. Got talked into an Embody (a p big investment of my uncommitted cash) and oh my gently caress I will never go back.

Now I’m the biggest Embody stan on the planet Buy once cry once and have a spine and legs that love you.

Hey yeah, chiming in to say I paid like $1500 for two used Embody chairs in 2011 or so, and I have never ever regretted that money. It is SO worth it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

Anyone have any experience dealing with an RSI in their mouse hand (between the indix finger and thumb)? I have one that gets progressively worse until the weekend where it goes away, then starts all over again once I start keyboard/mousing again. By Thursday/Friday the pain is pretty significant and I'm not sure what to do besides get robot hands
A vertical mouse has the potential to make this a lot better. I'd recommend trying one.

Pay attention while you're typing, and dial up the mindfulness the next time you find yourself turbo-typing on autopilot. There's a good chance you're working your pinky in a way that's causing you tendonitis further up your wrist. This is common in people with Reynaud's or other circulatory problems that make your fingers tense up when it's cold. For me, it's vasoconstricting ADHD meds.

Consider whether you actually have a shoulder problem, and you're compensating with a sub-optimal wrist position without realizing it. These can start anywhere in your posture; mine starts with the inferior omohyoid and scalene muscles, and when they're fully tense, I can't rotate the corresponding shoulder the way I'm supposed to. Both of these are attached to another set of dysfunctions that go all the way down to my piriformis, which starts misbehaving if I slouch in my chair for a long coding session. In short: see a chiropractor, physical therapist, or massage therapist for your back, because it really can't hurt.

Grab a light- or medium-tension Gripmaster and work on a thumb pinch grip (like #3 here). They work great for strengthening these muscles, and will also reveal a shoulder issue really quickly.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 19, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I'm not a medical professional but I would recommend a physical therapist more than a massage therapist or chiropractor. Depending on your jurisdiction, PTs may have more rigorous licensing requirements than massage people or chiro people. Not going to wade too deep into chiropractic here in this thread but suffice to say, there are many open questions w/r/t peer reviewed evidence that chiropractic treatment is effective vs. placebo. Unfortunately, jurisdictions in the US tend to allow chiropractors to make very wide claims about what their treatments will address, with little or no evidence to support it.

(IMHO! I make this rant whenever I can squeeze it in, and I haven't heard a good counterargument yet besides "let people do what they want". Yeah, sure, but I start to have a problem when businesses market medical treatments or cures that have no evidence of efficacy)

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 19, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

not medical advice etcetc, but

As a fight sports practitioner, I would rather fight someone then allow a chiropractor to touch my spine. At least at the fights we have medics on hand incase of accidental paralysis.

Massage on the other hand feels good, and if I remember correctly there is peer reviewed evidence that massage promotes healing to some degree. So at worst it feels good at least even if its not treating the underlying condition.

A PT would be the place to go if you're really worried, but honestly what they're gonna do is teach you how to stretch and you do that a few times a week unless you have had an honest to god crippling injury in which case they have all sorts of cool machines and stuff to help you use your body again, and if you're a computer toucher with bad posture who doesn't go outside and play every so often the stretching and machines are gonna help only so much.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I am SO late to the party, but I wanted you folks to know that the series of posts involving politepost.net made my freaking day. Literal laugh out loud at the office (which I can do because there's no one here but those of us who couldn't get out of coming in Christmas week.)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Inner Light posted:

I'm not a medical professional but I would recommend a physical therapist more than a massage therapist or chiropractor. Depending on your jurisdiction, PTs may have more rigorous licensing requirements than massage people or chiro people. Not going to wade too deep into chiropractic here in this thread but suffice to say, there are many open questions w/r/t peer reviewed evidence that chiropractic treatment is effective vs. placebo. Unfortunately, jurisdictions in the US tend to allow chiropractors to make very wide claims about what their treatments will address, with little or no evidence to support it.

(IMHO! I make this rant whenever I can squeeze it in, and I haven't heard a good counterargument yet besides "let people do what they want". Yeah, sure, but I start to have a problem when businesses market medical treatments or cures that have no evidence of efficacy)
Sure. Here's the catch: I know that Sepist is from NY, and we have pretty tight scope/regulation of chiropractic care. Chiropractors in NY have earned doctorate degrees from an accredited program, and there is no reciprocity with chiropractors licensed in another state despite requiring a national exam. Our state board has chiropractors, MDs, medical osteopaths, and doctorate educators working together on licensure. (Regrettably, they don't publish readily-available information on sanctions/disciplinary actions, so it's hard to compare NY vs. other states in number of punitive actions taken on quacks.)

A good chiropractor will do a lot more than spinal adjustments, or you can have them not do those at all. They're often a red mage sitting somewhere between physical therapy/rehab, massage therapy, and nutrition. They'll usually do other things like acupuncture, heat/stim, or movement taping that you might find helpful. They are not diagnosticians but most are helpful at teaching you exercises or stretches that are useful for management of pain. They will do these things using your medical insurance. You'll still find wonks out there who will try to sell you on weird poo poo. Good ones are focused on evidence-based practice. My practice, who I see a small handful of times per year, hasn't tried to sell me on as much as a favorite brand of resistance band.

If you do have someone doing adjustments—again, there are risks to that so take it or leave it—it's important that you do it as part of an actual program. Having someone crack your back once a week while you change nothing else isn't going to help you. Having someone do something that takes the pain away for a couple of days so that it's bearable for you to stretch, exercise and do actual physical therapy things that make you better is a really good tool to have in your toolbox, though.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I’m about to use politepost to help draft an email.

My instructions were clear. Plug in the power cable and the network cable and do nothing else. Leave on DHCP. Leave the default password. DO NOTHING BUT PLUG IN TWO CABLES.

And now I’m trying to fix things on the other side of the country because they didn’t follow my instructions, showed up early and didn’t say anything until after they left.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Printer tech?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8OUuyW3WCg

If the following video is cool\bad to you then you probably know your thoughts on chiropractic care

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vulture Culture posted:

Pay attention while you're typing, and dial up the mindfulness the next time you find yourself turbo-typing on autopilot. There's a good chance you're working your pinky in a way that's causing you tendonitis further up your wrist. This is common in people with Reynaud's or other circulatory problems that make your fingers tense up when it's cold. For me, it's vasoconstricting ADHD meds.

Old coworker saved career by switching to an ortholinear keyboard.

Not sure if it’s relevant for Sepists problem but if the vertical mouse doesn’t help this might.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Thanks Ants posted:

Printer tech?

For today’s anger, yes. Although the MSP we hire is even more incompetent and cause more problems than they resolve. It’d be cheaper and faster if I just go to the airport and fly across the country than having to deal with them.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Podima posted:

I haven't thought about whether slacks and jeans like, stick differently to the chair and thus change how I hang on to it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cyks posted:

For today’s anger, yes. Although the MSP we hire is even more incompetent and cause more problems than they resolve. It’d be cheaper and faster if I just go to the airport and fly across the country than having to deal with them.

Printer techs seem to not believe that DHCP reservations exist and work fine, it's infuriating

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Used polite post after my loving coworker volunteered me to do something that she was supposed to do today on a day when I have limited availability and need to start/leave early

This loving week sucks and I can't wait to do a shitload of edibles on break

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Sepist posted:

The Aeron is good, but the Embody is better (and more top tier-er)— no mesh there either and a 12 year warranty.

Inner Light posted:

Thanks for saving me the effort of phone posting this

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Mirra 2 is a better chair than an Aeron and half the price of an Embody

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Thanks Ants posted:

The Mirra 2 is a better chair than an Aeron and half the price of an Embody

There could be better chairs for sure at half the Embody’s price, I just found what worked for me.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Potato Salad posted:

I haven't thought about whether slacks and jeans like, stick differently to the chair and thus change how I hang on to it.

I had an Aeron at an old job and found it very uncomfortable. My new job's office has Aerons and I didn't find them that bad. I was trying to figure out why then I realized old job was business casual (slacks) and new job I just wear jeans, so I think that makes a difference with the mesh chairs.

At any rate I decided to avoid mesh chairs for my home office and just bought a Haworth Zody.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a call tomorrow morning where my customer is trying to increase their DB size by 50x without buying more hardware and are treating it as an "optimization issue."

Like, my dude, if I had a magic way to "optimize" your database to run 50 times faster, it would come like that out of the box. Engineering did not forget to enable the "run orders of magnitude faster" setting and they did not miss something obvious that you are going to think of either.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
This is what happens when you build your app on sql express smdh

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i am a moron posted:

I do not work for MS, thank gently caress.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If you keep anything sensitive in your salesforce tenant, for the love of god turn off oauth authorizations for non-admins. Somehow salesforce is even more degenerate than Microsoft in these spaces and its kind of incredible what a user is allowed to give a 3rd party app if the setting isn't turned off.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
My strategy is to let everyone into sales force and hopefully the hackers can make sense of what’s happening and dump the info onto the dark web in a format I can actually use and purchase for pennies on the dollar

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i am a moron posted:

My strategy is to let everyone into sales force and hopefully the hackers can make sense of what’s happening and dump the info onto the dark web in a format I can actually use and purchase for pennies on the dollar

I felt this.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

KillHour posted:

I felt this.

It’s worse than netsuite for PSA which… lol

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

i am a moron posted:

Sounds about right. Recently upgraded and redesigned our azure ad connect install, it was the original single instance default values sql express on the same box from over five years ago when they shifted to O365.

Went to a geo-redundant active/standby setup with separate SQL server backing. Sync runs went from 5+ minutes down to about 30 seconds or less.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

devmd01 posted:

Sounds about right. Recently upgraded and redesigned our azure ad connect install, it was the original single instance default values sql express on the same box from over five years ago when they shifted to O365.

Went to a geo-redundant active/standby setup with separate SQL server backing. Sync runs went from 5+ minutes down to about 30 seconds or less.

It's a serious shame that their Azure AD Connect cloud sync is so barebone that nobody but the smallest firm will be able to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I am waking up to “why doesn’t teams work?!?” When I look it’s because our office 365 subscription has been suspended for non payment from our CSP. Very cool!

I’m leaving right after the new year but this “old job” I’m hanging around at as it continues its death spiral has been dumb.