Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

the secret to ogryn is to just main the stubber and only get out melee if you really have to because a machine gun with knockback is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it weird that I am refusing to play as Veteran because I am afraid I would not be able to play anything else?

To be serious I have an Ogryn and Zealot, the latter of which I am actively play. I am currently planning to level the Veteran last.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it weird that I am refusing to play as Veteran because I am afraid I would not be able to play anything else?

To be serious I have an Ogryn and Zealot, the latter of which I am actively play. I am currently planning to level the Veteran last.

I've been maining Zealot in Heresy and leveling Vet and personally while Vet is definitely fun and the power sword is ridiculous it just does not have the same "get into melee and gently caress poo poo up" fun feel of Zealot. I feel way more dynamic in melee as Zealot with the Eviscerator. Even when I fully level Vet I don't see myself playing it as often as Zealot.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

hemale in pain posted:

the secret to ogryn is to just main the stubber and only get out melee if you really have to because a machine gun with knockback is amazing

But the grenade launcher is super fun too. Ogryn has a lot of great options.

skaianDestiny posted:

I've been maining Zealot in Heresy and leveling Vet and personally while Vet is definitely fun and the power sword is ridiculous it just does not have the same "get into melee and gently caress poo poo up" fun feel of Zealot. I feel way more dynamic in melee as Zealot with the Eviscerator. Even when I fully level Vet I don't see myself playing it as often as Zealot.

Yeah Vet is very effective but that doesn't mean it's more fun.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Unlucky7 posted:

I felt this way with Merc Kruber in vermintide 2. Don't worry about it, if you like the game, you'll like playing it with a bunch of different characters and builds. I even ended up liking classes I was certain I would hate. Ranger Bardin had zero appeal to me, spent five hours with it, it became my favorite class.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Something about the Vet with the Mk12 makes me feel like I'm playing Time Crisis. Just waiting for little dudes to pop their heads out of cover with their fancy muzzle flashes and trying to beat them to the punch. I just need a little foot pedal that dodges for me.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
USB foot pedals are a thing, are cheap, and can be bound to any arbitrary keyboard or mouse input or macro

Just fyi if you wanna complete the experience

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

The bull butcher does not use its special attack, if it can at all help it. Just keep swinging the bleeding thing

The uppercut is good as hell. It staggers crushers, which are basically immune to knife attacks. It staggers ragers, if the difficulty is low, you're hitting them in the back, or if they're not currently attacking. It even staggers bulwarks out of blocking on lower difficulty.

BTW I noticed in testing just now: Heavyweight (*1*****), the anti-ogryn feat in the second tier for Ogryn, is currently working on dealing ranged damage to enemy ogryn. It's much better than the description, which says it only works on your melee attacks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fishstick posted:

USB foot pedals are a thing, are cheap, and can be bound to any arbitrary keyboard or mouse input or macro

Just fyi if you wanna complete the experience

lol, I was joking but that might actually be worth it for fun

stand up Vet sniping with a pedal for dodge. it's like I'm working out, basically.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I am leveling zealot now having done Vet first, then psyker. Zealot is actually very fun to play, there is something very visceral about it that you don't get with the vet. My big complaint is the same complaint I have with the psyker is that the feat trees have too much stuff that appears to be dogshit. Pretty much everything on the vet is pickable situationally and works to fully strengthen the archetype.

Im loving the antax combat axe mk5 and revolver, its such a fun playstyle. I still prefer vet cuz I am a shooter guy but zealots definitely about on par for fun. Honestly Psyker and Zealot probably just need a buff pass and tightening up on their feats and things like scaling brain burst for psyker (or IMO making a staff you pick have some modifier for brain burst).

Ogryn i'll do last and see how I think about it.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Any advice on making a revolver work for the zealot on heresy or damnation? I find it highly effective up to Malice, then it's lethality drops off a cliff. Chaining 3-4 headshots into a reaper at close range and not killing it feels real bad when your gun has 5 shots.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Just finished a Heresy mission with myself (Zealot) and 3 Vets. I'm pretty sure we could have finished the mission without me even attempting to kill an enemy.

Sorry dudes, Vets are insane.

Edit: Someone described the experience as 'caddying' earlier and yeah that's pretty accurate.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

Overall, I feel similarly to you about the Ogryn Power Maul, although I'm not as positive. Spamming heavy seems like the go-to crowd control ability, and it's a lot of stagger but not really great damage on hordes. The lights are a lot more damage (both on hordes and on elites/specials), but you have to go through the overhead/underhand moves before you start actually swinging the club in diagonals, so you actually have to aim and it takes a moment to wind up on a crowd. That feels really good when you bonk an elite then start on the trash, but doesn't feel great when you spin around and then whiff a swing on an enemy behind you, or when you just bop two zombies in a crowd of dozens.

If you push attack first (which is a wide aoe attack), you transition immediately into the infinite diagonal light combo, skipping the initial two single-target attacks. Pretty useful.

Personally I find the heavies to be way too slow for what you get out of them and exclusively use push attacks and the diagonal lights for crowds.

Internet Explorer posted:

My wife and I were playing a week or two ago, took some edibles, and got really high. She was playing Ogryn and I was playing Vet. I introduced her to the shovel and then we spent the next several hours running around hitting everything with the shovel while giddly extolling the virtues of the shovel.

My buddy has PTSD from braining someone with a shovel in Afghanistan and it did not go over well when the first thing this game's tutorial does is have you annihilate heads with a shovel, spraying maggots everywhere.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 19, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm the psycho who's only leveled up two classes and is now just enjoying smacking people around as Ogryn.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Mendrian posted:

Just finished a Heresy mission with myself (Zealot) and 3 Vets. I'm pretty sure we could have finished the mission without me even attempting to kill an enemy.

Sorry dudes, Vets are insane.

Edit: Someone described the experience as 'caddying' earlier and yeah that's pretty accurate.

The funny thing about Vets is they have the most mindlessly op feat in the game, but most of them never take it (it's the free grenade feat).

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

But the grenade launcher is super fun too. Ogryn has a lot of great options.

Yeah Vet is very effective but that doesn't mean it's more fun.

making things go boom is also good

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Jerkface posted:

I am leveling zealot now having done Vet first, then psyker. Zealot is actually very fun to play, there is something very visceral about it that you don't get with the vet. My big complaint is the same complaint I have with the psyker is that the feat trees have too much stuff that appears to be dogshit. Pretty much everything on the vet is pickable situationally and works to fully strengthen the archetype.

Im loving the antax combat axe mk5 and revolver, its such a fun playstyle. I still prefer vet cuz I am a shooter guy but zealots definitely about on par for fun. Honestly Psyker and Zealot probably just need a buff pass and tightening up on their feats and things like scaling brain burst for psyker (or IMO making a staff you pick have some modifier for brain burst).

Ogryn i'll do last and see how I think about it.

I'll say it a hundred times but Zealot feels like two different classes smashed together with a lot of the bad options

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
At higher difficulties I feel like encounters become a pain if you get a lot of spawns with gunners and ranged mobs. That's why I like Veteran most, because they can clear stuff out at any range very fast

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have to say that I've soured a bit on the Atrox axe and knife bleed/crit/roughness build for the Zealot. Just way too much effort to pull off. I don't even want to know what my APM is while playing. After doing more of the other classes, it's just... way too much work for the same result.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Make the power sword a strike down weapon.

Make vets take damage from their own nades.

Drop their toughness to 100.

hehe :)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

I have to say that I've soured a bit on the Atrox axe and knife bleed/crit/roughness build for the Zealot. Just way too much effort to pull off. I don't even want to know what my APM is while playing. After doing more of the other classes, it's just... way too much work for the same result.

Any build that makes we want to install a key repeater thing loses a lot of points in my book.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

explosivo posted:

If I could power up the power maul while running I might hate it a little bit less. It's just annoying finding the time to power it up when you also have to slow down to do it. If I could do it while sprinting and repositioning or whatever it wouldn't be as bad but as it is it's just more downtime that I can't really afford when I need to keep swinging for the fences to keep my toughness up and the bleed stacks going.

Honestly they really need to change it so that any weapon with a power up mechanic keeps the charge until you hit an enemy with it rather than the current system where it just fades out after a couple seconds if you don't use it, would make using those type of weapons a lot less fiddly to use

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

The funny thing about Vets is they have the most mindlessly op feat in the game, but most of them never take it (it's the free grenade feat).

Wait. Some people haven't taken that? :psyduck:

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

Same. I'm sure Vet with power sword is technically more optimal but trundling around constantly doing two swings then a charge up feels way less satisfying than dodge dancing around like a maniac furiously exploding heads with my antax.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

Any advice on making a revolver work for the zealot on heresy or damnation? I find it highly effective up to Malice, then it's lethality drops off a cliff. Chaining 3-4 headshots into a reaper at close range and not killing it feels real bad when your gun has 5 shots.

I mean, if you're at close range with a reaper you should be using melee.
I will say that for maulers, I only recently discovered their body is flak armour, but their head is carapace, so you should be aiming for torso shots.

Also I was surpised to realise that the unarmoured scab riflemen have substantially more HP than the flak armoured dreg riflemen!

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 19, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Random Integer posted:

Same. I'm sure Vet with power sword is technically more optimal but trundling around constantly doing two swings then a charge up feels way less satisfying than dodge dancing around like a maniac furiously exploding heads with my antax.

Yeah, but then you end up clutching on haz 4 or 5 and then you have RSI.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Random Integer posted:

Well yeah and that's my main complaint. When you have 2 or 3 Vets as a Zealot you don't have to do any of those things. They just destroy everything - elites, basics, ogryn, monsters, just power swords and bolters (or laser snipes) for miles. When the optimal strategy is to stop grabbing pickups and stay out of the way there's a balance problem.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Wait. Some people haven't taken that? :psyduck:

I'm averaging two, maybe three matches out of a hundred where the vet takes it. The first mission I remember having it, the Ogryn also took his grenade feat. Every wave with a Crusher ended in a nuclear holocaust that tanked my frame rate. It was glorious.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cease to Hope posted:

The uppercut is good as hell. It staggers crushers, which are basically immune to knife attacks. It staggers ragers, if the difficulty is low, you're hitting them in the back, or if they're not currently attacking. It even staggers bulwarks out of blocking on lower difficulty.

BTW I noticed in testing just now: Heavyweight (*1*****), the anti-ogryn feat in the second tier for Ogryn, is currently working on dealing ranged damage to enemy ogryn. It's much better than the description, which says it only works on your melee attacks.

That’s cool. I’m never ever not gonna take the box talent though. Ah well.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Vargs posted:

If you push attack first (which is a wide aoe attack), you transition immediately into the infinite diagonal light combo, skipping the initial two single-target attacks. Pretty useful.

Personally I find the heavies to be way too slow for what you get out of them and exclusively use push attacks and the diagonal lights for crowds.

Hm. I was apparently wrong about the lights doing a lot more damage on hordes of trash. They kind of suck rear end. I guess I was thrown off by the initial two vertical swings feeling impactful and doing good damage, because the diagonal swings do 99 damage base to groaners and poxwalkers (assuming a maul with a perfect damage roll!). Without some help from blessings or perks - and AFAICT it doesn't get any useful damage blessings - you're looking at three hits to kill a groaner and four to kill a poxwalker. That's slab shield damage, and while it has more reach and a somewhat faster attack speed, it doesn't swing as wide.

That just makes me more leery of it. There's probably a workable playstyle in here somewhere, but I don't think its hordeclear is going to much outperform the slab shield, which is the worst viable ogryn weapon for clearing hordes. That's disappointing.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Typical Pubbie posted:

Which one, the free nade every minute one or the 5% chance free nade on elite kill? I think I take the toughness regen for teammates feat over the 5% chance one but I can't imagine not taking the free nade every minute one.

Feels like I never see teammates throw grenades unless they're also vets though.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

I'm averaging two, maybe three matches out of a hundred where the vet takes it. The first mission I remember having it, the Ogryn also took his grenade feat. Every wave with a Crusher ended in a nuclear holocaust that tanked my frame rate. It was glorious.

The problem with that perk is that it shares the same tier with wall hack for everyone perk, which is much better most of the time in pubs.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The only reason not to take the free grenade per minute is you are using the plasma gun and want to speed up reloads a bit, turning grenades into a regenerating resource completely changes their dynamic and immediately fixes the brains of any people who hold onto their grenades all match "because what if I need it for the next horde?"

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Mendrian posted:

Well yeah and that's my main complaint. When you have 2 or 3 Vets as a Zealot you don't have to do any of those things. They just destroy everything - elites, basics, ogryn, monsters, just power swords and bolters (or laser snipes) for miles. When the optimal strategy is to stop grabbing pickups and stay out of the way there's a balance problem.

I mean, is that happening to you often? I have genuinely never encountered that situation on 4/5 but maybe I'm just playing with sucky Vets.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Random Integer posted:

I mean, is that happening to you often? I have genuinely never encountered that situation on 4/5 but maybe I'm just playing with sucky Vets.

I'm only really talking about 4/5 diff missions, because really anything goes on malice or below. And yeah I'd say any time there are 2 or more vets on the team and they aren't doing some weird build, yeah, they dominate the map.

I think it's more a problem with the bolter and/or the power sword than anything else. Bolter is probably fine because everybody gets it and the downsides are pretty immense, but the power sword assures that I don't really have a clear role to fill. I know there's an argument for, 'sweet, free carry' but I don't play these games for PrOgReSsIoN, I play to play. So it feels bad when I don't really have to do anything.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Where do vets like dropping grenades, other than behind enemy cover when it's too dangerous to advance? That's a good use case, but I feel like I'm overlooking other situations where they are better than just killing with normal weapons.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kith posted:

does it though?

Nah, i'm wrong. I absolutely thought I read that 1-4 as "you can roll it this many times". Ah well.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm glad you're here because you're the one that said it is bugged, thanks for coming at me so hard and also being wrong

Me being wrong about one patch note doesn't mean i'm wrong about you being weird about crafting but go off, dude.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

big cummers ONLY posted:

Where do vets like dropping grenades, other than behind enemy cover when it's too dangerous to advance? That's a good use case, but I feel like I'm overlooking other situations where they are better than just killing with normal weapons.

Shitload of ranged dudes in a heavy cover area? Soften em up. Psyker blew themselves up again? Chuck a couple grenades at them THEN pick them up while every bad dude in the area is on the floor. Bunch of bad dudes way too close to you? Drop a grenade at your feet and they fall over. Running your rear end to extraction? Drop grenades on your way out like a trail of exploding turds.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
As a psyker, should I even give a gently caress about warp charges and using brain burst? It's so slow and usually poo poo (even elites) die before I can get it to go off. If it was just a tiny bit faster it would be kinda neat but man it's really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

big cummers ONLY posted:

Zombie packs, on a downed dude to clear out trash to sneak a rez, in gunner/shotgunner packs to knock them on their rear end and stop enemy ranged dps, enemy dropdown areas where they like to stack up in ridiculous amounts which make for incredible gibs. The nades are great for just clearing some local breathing room when youre being flanked or overrun by just tossing a couple nearby, theres so many elites in 4+ with both regen perks you can really go ham with nades. I often dont even need to use powersword for hordes, just to clear out remainders after a shower of nades.

Spanish Manlove posted:

As a psyker, should I even give a gently caress about warp charges and using brain burst? It's so slow and usually poo poo (even elites) die before I can get it to go off. If it was just a tiny bit faster it would be kinda neat but man it's really bad.

P much no. Use brain burst when its useful - early on that'll be almost any special people cant shoot or take longer to kill, pox hounds, gunnerss/shotgunners, ogryn, snipers etc. But its not worth being in "burst mode" 24/7 when you can delete or stun hordes and elites with staffs and melee too, just to keep charges up.

Warp charges are nice but they really dont make much of a difference outside of build synergy, and later on you can get them passively from friendly and own regular kills. The actual useful damage boost off warp charges is pretty negligible iirc.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 19, 2022