Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm so glad the Cubs have yet another free-swinging shortstop who hates getting on base and can't help himself from swinging at pitches that are in Schaumburg. I've been watching that poo poo ever since I was a kid and Shawon Dunston was getting on base at a .296 clip for his entire career (even though Dunston was fun to watch most of the time).

I'm even happier they're going to pay him $177 million with a full no-trade instead of paying $88 million to Willson Contreras, who by all accounts never wanted to leave but ultimately got pissed-off that the team refused to even tender him an offer because they were more concerned with getting a lottery ticket draft pick.

loving Rickettses. loving Cubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Timby posted:

I'm so glad the Cubs have yet another free-swinging shortstop who hates getting on base and can't help himself from swinging at pitches that are in Schaumburg. I've been watching that poo poo ever since I was a kid and Shawon Dunston was getting on base at a .296 clip for his entire career (even though Dunston was fun to watch most of the time).

I'm even happier they're going to pay him $177 million with a full no-trade instead of paying $88 million to Willson Contreras, who by all accounts never wanted to leave but ultimately got pissed-off that the team refused to even tender him an offer because they were more concerned with getting a lottery ticket draft pick.

loving Rickettses. loving Cubs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

Looking forward to seeing what Brantley can do without the shift

He’s gonna be hitting like .350 all year

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Praise Jebus.

And we didn't have to wait till 2023 after all, whew...

Intruder posted:

Yessssssss

MrMidnight posted:

gently caress YES. Off-season goals complete! Our lineup is straight sick

lobster shirt posted:

gently caress yeah

So good. Such a relief.

Kirios posted:

gently caress yeah I was getting nervous they weren't going to do this.

I'm happy with this offseason - I don't think they need to do anything else. Maybe extend a player or two.

Brantley is 100000% the #2 hitter. Pena is a strong, strong choice at 7.

Altuve - Brantley - Abreu - Alvarez - Bregman - Tucker - Pena lets you go RLRLRLR which is pretty awesome.

Peña hitting 2nd was pretty magical with Uncle Mike out... but now that he's back, something like that seems good. Maybe swap Bregman and Abreu?

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

zoux posted:

Hmmmm, according to this, the contract stipulates we have to start calling him "Uncle Smooth"

So stipulated!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Santa is real and he’s an Uncle Mike fan

And an Astros fan. What an excellent Xmas present this is for us.

Sab0921 posted:

Post ur favorite Uncle Mike memory here is mine.

Quality.

Intruder posted:

Looking forward to seeing what Brantley can do without the shift

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He’s gonna be hitting like .350 all year

Yeah, Yordan won't benefit quite so much since he's just liable to hit it to the wall or over it. But Brantley's gonna reap the benefits and it's gonna be sweet!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

I'm kind of assuming they're done making moves aside from maybe a lefty for the pen. Leon takes over the Diaz role, they keep some tax room for a midseason trade

I'm sure people want them to bring Yuli back for nostalgia reasons but I can't see a role for him, he's not going to want to play once every five or six games and presumably either Yordan or Brantley are the DH almost every game, hard to imagine resting both on the same day

yeah much as I love Yuli sometimes you gotta move on

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I seem to remember people losing their ever loving minds at Wrigley in '95 when that sign hit .300.

What the Cubs are doing, by focusing on defense, is the cheapest way to build a lineup and it never works. This was the strategy the Mariners tried under Jack Z at one point and that the A's managed to follow to a .500 record about a decade ago.
They could have kept Baez and Contreras, probably saved a little money, and wouldn't have to give up a draft pick for Swanson.
Center field is a different story since they don't have anyone ready to play there for some time (I'm not sure if Davis is a "true" center fielder even after he recovers from surgery - meaning I just don't believe it until I see evidence of it).
I hope they are one of the 29 teams who should be trying to trade for Bryan Reynolds.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
To be fair to that strategy it failing was primarily because it was Jack Z steering the ship.

Not that it’s a guaranteed winning strategy. Just that nothing the Jack Z Mariners did would have worked because of their organization and a lot of fundamental things relating to how they structured the team from the top down.

This is all personified in their highest pick of the entire regime deciding he didn't trust any of the coaching he received at any level of the system. Is Dustin Ackley an rear end in a top hat? Probably! Did the Mariners suck rear end at developing talent and have zero plan to keep the organization cohesive from rookie ball all the way to the big league club? You betcha.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 19, 2022

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/countericconner/status/1604864550129479681

This is a nice thread about nice dudes being nice, but I had no idea LaFleur had passed away. :(

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Red posted:

This is a nice thread about nice dudes being nice, but I had no idea LaFleur had passed away. :(

Heroes get remembered, but legends never die

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

mcmagic posted:

This guy is a hedge fund ghoul right?

Aren’t all Yankees fans at this point?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Aren’t all Yankees fans at this point?

A Yankee fan with a Rangers hat on? lol

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I can’t be expected to actually pay attention.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Ugh I’m seeing some of the Royals fan base push for a reunion with Hosmer.

I’ve seen enough weak groundballs to the second baseman to last a lifetime, thanks.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Exodor posted:

Ugh I’m seeing some of the Royals fan base push for a reunion with Hosmer.

I’ve seen enough weak groundballs to the second baseman to last a lifetime, thanks.

It's not just you....

https://twitter.com/Matt_Winkelman/status/1604517708455940096

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cubs will probably pick up Hosmer

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Popete posted:

Cubs will probably pick up Hosmer

I loving hope not. I've always seen him as overvalued and I hate looking at his dumb evil-looking face

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Hosmer has Angel written all over him. When you can get a proven leader like Eric Hosmer to join your team, it gives you options to trade your all-star first baseman Jared Walsh for something. Nothing good, of course, but definitely something.

Plus, the Padres are paying his 39 million. Arte will love that.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/BlockClubCHI/status/1604906980979646464?s=20&t=WwH0KDj3PxyhnT6ujl-qVg

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Glad that Olson is generally healthy because otherwise Hosmer would be nailed on as AA’s failed reclamation project of the year

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/FabianArdaya/status/1604921014097301504

Also he's gonna start.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Are there any sites that people would recommend for baseball news/analysis? The only site I really know of is fangraphs but are there any other good ones?

Also what about baseball podcasts? Are there any that are good?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Baseball Savant is good if you really want to dig in

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

aw damnit. Lugo was such a consistent arm in the Mets bullpen. Sad to see him go.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Intruder posted:

Baseball Savant is good if you really want to dig in

Cool thanks I'll check it out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AlbertFlasher posted:

Are there any sites that people would recommend for baseball news/analysis? The only site I really know of is fangraphs but are there any other good ones?

Also what about baseball podcasts? Are there any that are good?

I'm biased but I like Pitcher List (although there is a lot of fantasy focused stuff if that's not your thing.)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Some Baseball Podcasts:

Effectively Wild - Ben Lindberg (The Ringer, formerly Baseball Prospectus) and Meg Rowley (Fangraphs), sort of the "OG" baseball nerd podcast I guess? A good archive episode to start with would be #762 (featuring the Cespedes BBQ boys as guests)
Tipping Pitches - somewhat labor focused podcast famous for their "Unionize The Minors" merch which then actually happened this year
Baseball Bar-B-Cast - current incarnation of Cespedes Family BBQ boys, if you're not familiar it's hard to explain but they are fun and I enjoy their perspective on baseball culture
The Athletic has a bunch of podcasts in one feed, I tend to listen to the one they now call The Roundtable because I like the writers who host it (Andy McCullough, Grand Brisbee, Marc Carig)

Joe Posnanski also talks plenty of baseball on his podcast (The PosCast) with Mickael Schur but a lot of other sports and random bullshit too

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 19, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Dan should start a podcast with the posters of SAS for fangraphs.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dan already hosts the Fangraphs podcast now I think

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Just need a rotating cast of our best+worst posters on it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

do an entire team preview series in the spring with a different poster representative for each team

mcmagic's yankees rants need a full episode to really breath

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
dan I am available to provide an audio version of cubs posting send me a pm

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

bawfuls posted:

do an entire team preview series in the spring with a different poster representative for each team

Hell yeah, I nominate mangles to rep the cubs fans

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

can you imagine Dan trying to explain this premise in the first episode?

"hello Fangraphs listeners! This year we're doing something different with team previews. Shamefully I sometimes post on an ancient internet forum, the name is not important please don't google it. I will be inviting posters from that dead husk to co-host team segments. I hope you enjoy the rantings of these anonymous, completely unvetted fans over the next 15-30 episodes!"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

I would participate.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

bawfuls posted:

can you imagine Dan trying to explain this premise in the first episode?

"hello Fangraphs listeners! This year we're doing something different with team previews. Shamefully I sometimes post on an ancient internet forum, the name is not important please don't google it. I will be inviting posters from that dead husk to co-host team segments. I hope you enjoy the rantings of these anonymous, completely unvetted fans over the next 15-30 episodes!"

Hey we're 25% more vetted than Twitter Blue users

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
let's just say it's the A's of internet forums cause there's a low chance of them being in the tax :smugdog:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm not sure words can appropriately capture the sadness of being a lifelong A's fan. Well, the sadness really just occurred recently, but WOW is it bad.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

let's just say it's the A's of internet forums cause there's a low chance of them being in the tax :smugdog:
:downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/boomer_humor/status/1604900781026643987

What in the hell

(Brooklyn Cyclones Seinfeld giveaway - it's a... "figurine")

Red fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 19, 2022