Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Steamlink rules but I have never heard of Moonlight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i tried to steam-stream midnight suns to my deck while 5 feet from my pc and it suddenly couldnt find my save to continue like i was playing from a different account or something

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Squiggle posted:

Steamlink rules but I have never heard of Moonlight?

Moonlight is a client for Nvidia's Gamestream protocol made for the Shield devices. Nvidia's abandoning the Shield and Gamestream is going with it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's an open source replacement for the official nvidia server, so moonlight will still be fine probably. Its good on a hacked Vita or Switch but on a Steam Deck I don't think its worth trading a very marginal improvement on the stream quality for a way worse user experience vs the Steam in home streaming. Giving up on Steam Input especially, sucks rear end.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ah, I'll just give Steam's streaming a go then. I have really good connectivity on my PC and it's for in-home usage so I should be good to go.

I really wish there was a controller with the same layout as the Deck. The touchpad is really great, but the Steam Controller has a different layout and.... not good build quality.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basic Chunnel posted:

Steam’s gotta be running!

It is, I also can't right click I think. Looks like something with the Preview build might have messed things up.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Randalor posted:

I tried out Rimworld on the deck last night. It's weird how well it controls, especially compared to some of the other mouse-controlled games I tried on it handle (Plague Inc and Kingdom Rush). The only real snags I ran into was that it would sometimes scroll the screen when the pointer was at the top or bottom of the screen.

Tbf you should be using touch controls for Plague Inc and Kingdom Rush. They’re both originally iPad/iPhone games.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I picked up Shadow of War in the Humble Bundle that’s up, and mannnnnn this is just perfect for turning off my brain and doing some mindless button mashing while in bed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

I picked up Shadow of War in the Humble Bundle that’s up, and mannnnnn this is just perfect for turning off my brain and doing some mindless button mashing while in bed.

Yeah. Looks loving amazing on Deck. Pity it takes up so much dang space.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One day I'll actually finish Shadow of Mordor

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Target has PS5 controllers on sale for $50, same price as the 8bitdo Pro2 I bought, but I can still return.

I like the feel of the Pro2, and I like that I can pair it with a few different devices via the mode switch, but it’s annoying that it won’t stay paired with the Deck in Switch mode, which is the only compatible mode with gyro. There’s also the weirdness about which controller features are available in each mode.

Would a DualSense be any better of an experience with the Deck?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I use a ps4 controller and haven’t had any problems, though I don’t use Gyro at all. I like that the PS ones have the trackpad on the front for when I need to do something that needs it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just wanted to say that I too unabashedly loved the Steam controller. RE4 with gyro aim can't be beat, unless you're doing just that on the deck.

I LOVE that the Steam deck's controls are pretty much Steam Controller V2. :swoon:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just wanted to say that I too unabashedly loved the Steam controller. RE4 with gyro aim can't be beat, unless you're doing just that on the deck.

I LOVE that the Steam deck's controls are pretty much Steam Controller V2. :swoon:

:wrong:

ottergauze
Dec 11, 2022

Today I learned that if you force Windows to connect to the Steam Deck through Bluetooth, it will pretty much become the worlds most glorified Bluetooth speaker, merging the audio streams for itself and whatever you have connected.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Target has PS5 controllers on sale for $50, same price as the 8bitdo Pro2 I bought, but I can still return.

I like the feel of the Pro2, and I like that I can pair it with a few different devices via the mode switch, but it’s annoying that it won’t stay paired with the Deck in Switch mode, which is the only compatible mode with gyro. There’s also the weirdness about which controller features are available in each mode.

Would a DualSense be any better of an experience with the Deck?

I’m a huge proponent for the Pro 2 but haven’t had the best time with 8bitdo on Steam Deck. Dualsense and Xbox controller are both really solid on it.

The Deck UI will adjust to the PS buttons but it’s a game if the games do. Most games will have no issue recognizing the Xbox button scheme.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

For what it's worth I use a Pro 2 when docked and it works perfectly. I also picked up FF13 on Steam since it was on sale (the voicessss...) and this I think is my first time trying to do heavy lifting to get the game running to my liking. Installing FF13-Fix, experimenting with fps caps (use 40, 30 is nasty and it can't hold 60) and manually setting a proton version (experimental has way less stutter).

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

One day I'll actually finish Shadow of Mordor

One does not simply finish Shadows of Mordor

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

The 2 most interesting things from that interview are that they consider the other handheld PCs to be partners instead of competitors, and that they're considering a straight up Steam Machine revival. Hopefully that latter one leans a bit on the mini PC boom of the last few years since a lot of people I've seen just shove SteamOS on those to use as a console anyway.

Well to be fair, those "partners" are selling hardware that will at least partially be used to facilitate the sale of more software on Steam, so Valve wins regardless of who's making the hardware.

Steam Machines would be much better now, considering how far SteamOS and Proton have come.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Consumer trust comes into it as well I guess.

The Steam Deck (and VR stuff, to a lesser extent) has got to have smashed down a bit of a barrier that must have formed around the concept of Valve selling hardware directly. They've shown that Steam itself can serve just fine as a storefront for hardware too. Just feels like a very different proposition this time if they were to resume "Steam Machines" in some way.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Hey Valve, I really like my Steam Controller. If you're reading this, I have a suggestion.

:thanks:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The dpad placement is the only bad thing about the deck and the only sensible place to put it instead would be where the left touchpad is, and that would probably upset more people than it would please.

Don’t say anything about moving the thumb stick out of the way instead because symmetrical sticks are mandatory.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

love the idea of my thumbs slamming together oh baby

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If they just took the Deck controls and slapped them into a controller shell with no changes I’d still be happy tbh.

As for Steam Machines 2.0 I feel like Valve would have to subsidise them in some way at least, the biggest beef mini PC out there (Minisforum NUCx i7 with a 3070) is over $1000 and you’re gonna need at least something that can handle 1080p60 reliably for $500 I feel to really get that concept rolling again.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I just installed the Heroic launcher to get my GoG crap on my Deck. Do I need to launch the games from Heroic every time, or can I add them to Steam like other games - or would I add Heroic? I just like being able to launch everything directly from the Gaming Mode.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I just installed the Heroic launcher to get my GoG crap on my Deck. Do I need to launch the games from Heroic every time, or can I add them to Steam like other games - or would I add Heroic? I just like being able to launch everything directly from the Gaming Mode.

There's an option in Heroic to add steam shortcuts.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You can both add Heroic launcher and GOG games to Steam and they'll work fine. You may have to mess around with the Proton compatibility version to get the games to work if you add them directly though - easy enough, it's in the Steam properties for games.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's an option in Heroic to add steam shortcuts.

Awesome, thanks!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

You can both add Heroic launcher and GOG games to Steam and they'll work fine. You may have to mess around with the Proton compatibility version to get the games to work if you add them directly though - easy enough, it's in the Steam properties for games.

I tried installing Bioshock Remastered through Heroic and it didn’t recognise any saves I made. Kinda put me off using it when I lost an hour of Bioshock prologue.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So as another question before bed; as I wait for my sd card to arrive so I can get into emulation proper, are there any other non-emulator based goon-approved classic games reccomendations that work well on the Deck lik Ship of Harkinian and that Mario one? Wasn't there some decompiled Goldeneye or Perfect Dark a while back?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Wasn't there some decompiled Goldeneye or Perfect Dark a while back?

it's so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wq0NQNfk1M

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's also a decompilation of Link to the Past that dropped recently, if you're into things of that nature.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Does that bake in the randomiser stuff like the other decompilations do? Seems like the main reason to even bother porting LttP.

Also is there a decent guide around for the Mario 64 port? I had a version for the Anbernic 351P that was super easy but the whole Mario 64 decomp world seems to have splintered into a million different projects at this point and none of them seem concerned with being easy to get running without a command line.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'unno, I haven't personally looked at it yet. I just know it exists.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Anyone have success with running spotify in the background? I had to mute the music in River City Girls 2, some of it is truly heinous. Curious what the performance impact of spotify is on this thing.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So as another question before bed; as I wait for my sd card to arrive so I can get into emulation proper, are there any other non-emulator based goon-approved classic games reccomendations that work well on the Deck lik Ship of Harkinian and that Mario one? Wasn't there some decompiled Goldeneye or Perfect Dark a while back?

The Jak & Daxter one is great.

There are tons of source ports and reimplementations like these. The one for Jedi Dark Forces and Outlaws just hit 1.0. Anything ported to Linux and marked playable should in theory work well. In practice some require you to compile something yourself which kind of sucks. Here are a couple lists:

https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Game_engine_recreations_and_source_ports
https://osgameclones.com

If you try something that's particularly well done or easy to set up please post about it.

E: it was Jedi Dark Forces

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 20, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

The Jak & Daxter one is great.

There are tons of source ports and reimplementations like these. I think one for Jedi Knight something just hit 1.0. Anything ported to Linux and marked playable should in theory work well. In practice some require you to compile something yourself which kind of sucks. Here are a couple lists:

https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Game_engine_recreations_and_source_ports
https://osgameclones.com

If you try something that's particularly well done or easy to set up lmk.

Sweet, thanks for the links

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don’t know how many people go back to read the early pages of this thread but they are hilarious in hindsight with massive arguments over whether the Deck would emulate Switch games.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It emulates them really well but makes my fan loud as gently caress, very upsetting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What's the battery life like when it's emulating switch games?