Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

HolHorsejob posted:

A while back, I saw this pic on Tumblr of like a Japanese magazine ad for various goofy things, and one of them was a hat that functioned like window blinds, and the dude pulling it down over his face. Does anyone know this image?

I was not able to find it but I'm going to share this amazing hat I found while looking:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

HolHorsejob posted:

A while back, I saw this pic on Tumblr of like a Japanese magazine ad for various goofy things, and one of them was a hat that functioned like window blinds, and the dude pulling it down over his face. Does anyone know this image?
It might be from one of several chindogu books:

101 Unuseless Japanese Inventions: The Art of Chindogu https://a.co/d/5tXNI6R

I have this one; I'll go check it for that particular image.

e: No luck, but some cursory Googling found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/bdwycs/i_like_to_design_stupid_products_for_fun_so_i/

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 20, 2022

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

It's probably NOT "Venus Wars", but that anime, IIRC, did have strange one-wheeled motorcycles and I think was part of the US Sci-Fi channel anime library.
edit: Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL1LuxOWQNk

That's it! No mistaking that brown crumbling building aesthetic. Thanks!

stratdax fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 20, 2022

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Hirayuki posted:

It might be from one of several chindogu books:

101 Unuseless Japanese Inventions: The Art of Chindogu https://a.co/d/5tXNI6R

I have this one; I'll go check it for that particular image.

e: No luck, but some cursory Googling found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/bdwycs/i_like_to_design_stupid_products_for_fun_so_i/

It is almost certainly from here.

Y'all are doing God's work in this thread

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i've been looking for this old rear end ghost video. some guy filming in his kitchen breathing super hard as the lights turn on and off, then all of a sudden a cereal bowl levitates off the table and then slams back down causing the guy to scream and go running out of the house. there were a couple other videos from the same guy of the doors in his house slamming and in every single one he's just breathing insanely hard behind the camera

it's so stupid but i've been looking to find it again for ages. probably from like 2005-2007 or something

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A picture I remember seeing somewhere of a gig (?) of memory in 1990 in a gigantic storage device as opposed to a gig of memory in, like 2013 in a pocket sized thumb drive.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A picture I remember seeing somewhere of a gig (?) of memory in 1990 in a gigantic storage device as opposed to a gig of memory in, like 2013 in a pocket sized thumb drive.

Is it from Johnny Mnemonic? Keanu Reeves’ character was carrying a massive 320 gigabytes of data in his head, dating the movie’s production forever.

Kind of lovely quality, but it was quoted on the poster and/or box art:

EDIT: rereading your post maybe makes it sound like you were looking for a data graphic or something, not a questionable 90s action movie, lol.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Blue Moonlight posted:

Is it from Johnny Mnemonic? Keanu Reeves’ character was carrying a massive 320 gigabytes of data in his head, dating the movie’s production forever.

Kind of lovely quality, but it was quoted on the poster and/or box art:

EDIT: rereading your post maybe makes it sound like you were looking for a data graphic or something, not a questionable 90s action movie, lol.

That's a good guess, but it was more of an infographic. Someone was holding the 1990 device on the left and a more modern thumb stick on the right side. I don't remember how much memory it was but I want to say a gig, something that would have seemed like a shitload in the early '90s.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know if they could 'hold' the device if it was 1990

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mustached5thGrader posted:

I saw some hbo movie or something as a young teen about an unexpected house guest who seduces the whole family. It wasn’t a soft core, it was a thriller. Dude was a redhead and I imagine him looking like the redhead dweeb from American psycho. There was a scene where he’s in the hot tub with the family’s son?

Might be a version of Brimstone and Treacle, there have been a couple of them I know of.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Scaramouche posted:

I don't know if they could 'hold' the device if it was 1990

Close enough. Thanks!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Was it this photo maybe?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dewgy posted:

Was it this photo maybe?

Yes, that's it! Good work! I tried looking for 'comparison of memory 1990 now' and nothing came up.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Edit: not white whale enough for thread

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 21, 2022

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
There was a terrible rap video by some middle aged looking dude who was driving this green screened convertible while a badly cg'd city burned behind him. It has a lyric that made me laugh that was like "your brothers daughter, that's your niece/I hear sirens, that's the police"

I want to say he was called Bumpo or Bucko or something?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I don't know if that's Chuggo, but even if it isn't, you should look up Chuggo's music videos

COME ON gently caress A GUY

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dewgy posted:

Was it this photo maybe?

The most fun thing about 'Moore's Law' is how it constantly changes the answer to the thought experiment "how long would it take you to eat 64GB of memory?" A few years back when I was putting together my desktop, that would have been a really painful meal of RAM Nachos.

Today, I could swallow eight times that without a glass of water.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that has to be chuggo

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Yeah, chuggo's magnum opus Ah C'mon doesn't have the exact line op was looking for but does contain a line that roughly goes: see that kid stealing? That is a thief / see the boots behind him? That's the police

E: also the song is loving great and i don't even like rap or country

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I found a schedule from May '98 which includes the Nudnik show, but there really isn't anything which could be the show you're describing. The show Frame by Frame is a compilation show, which may have it but the one I found at youtube didn't have kids in a bathtub. Maybe it's just lost for good?
https://web.archive.org/web/19980503130851/http://teletoon.com/schedule.htm#adult

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB17F9223E8277584

I also found a more comprehensive list of all shows broadcast on Teletoon: https://teletoonandbeyond.fandom.com/wiki/Cartoons_By_Years

it probably was on Frame by Frame. thanks for digging this up

edit: holy gently caress, that schedule from the archived site. i completely forgot about The Legend of the North Wind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAN46SPwPJ8

changing vote to 5

Junk fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 22, 2022

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Arivia posted:

I asked some D&D friends who are history nerds and one of them found the section:

This is in McNeill's discussion of the Fourth Crusade.

Man, Goons are unbelievable sometimes. Good work!

This gives me hope for my remaining White Whales, which I’ll repost with a few more details:

1) This one is a song that I heard once ever on Nick Rocks (an early 80’s music compilation show on Nickelodeon). It appears to either be lost forever or completely impossible to search for. Musically, it sounded a little bit similar to “Right on Track” (listen here), with a somewhat slower tempo but not a full love ballad.
The lyrics I can remember were, “I’ll be your flying cowboy / I’ll carry you away! / We’ll (something) all the bad guys! / (something something) if you say!”
So far I’ve had absolutely no luck at all finding this song because it turns out there are a lot of country songs about flying cowboys. My lost song is definitely not one of them.

2) I could probably fill the rest of this post with Weird poo poo From The EARLY Early Days Of Nickelodeon/Disney Channel/MTV and all the short films they’d use to fill time.
The first one I cannot find was an animated short that was maybe ten minutes long. In it, two kids want to take their dog along on a school trip. Somehow their dog transforms into a human kid (I think they made a wish?) and he can go along. But he still acts like a dog, like he doesn’t ride the school bus but chases it, things like that. Hilarious shenanigans ensues until he changes back into a dog and “Everyone’s eyes went wide as saucers”. They feed the dog “leftover potato salad” and all is well.
The thing is, this short had a very long opening credits sequence, in another language. And that suggested it might be one episode of a whole series? I remember this being part of “Pinwheel”.

3) Another animated short that ran as part of Pinwheel, I think. In it, the youngest child in a family doesn’t have much self confidence. She paces back and forth saying, “I can’t” and as she does this, she shrinks smaller and smaller. At some point she rides around on a butterfly who gives her a pep talk. The whole short is haunting and dreamlike in that specifically 70’s animation way.

4) Paper cut-out animation (I think) about a girl who gathers her friends together to stop a forest from being cut down. The part I remember most clearly is when the girl and her friends fly to some place on pine tree branches, kind of like the Witches in His Dark Materials .

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Anyone remember the name of that old puppet comedy show where one of the puppets was just a talking penis?

I thought for sure it was something Net Freaks, but searching is coming up with nothing.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Antivehicular posted:

I don't know if that's Chuggo, but even if it isn't, you should look up Chuggo's music videos

COME ON gently caress A GUY

It absolutely was, thanks!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Rahonavis posted:

2) I could probably fill the rest of this post with Weird poo poo From The EARLY Early Days Of Nickelodeon/Disney Channel/MTV and all the short films they’d use to fill time.
The first one I cannot find was an animated short that was maybe ten minutes long. In it, two kids want to take their dog along on a school trip. Somehow their dog transforms into a human kid (I think they made a wish?) and he can go along. But he still acts like a dog, like he doesn’t ride the school bus but chases it, things like that. Hilarious shenanigans ensues until he changes back into a dog and “Everyone’s eyes went wide as saucers”. They feed the dog “leftover potato salad” and all is well.
The thing is, this short had a very long opening credits sequence, in another language. And that suggested it might be one episode of a whole series? I remember this being part of “Pinwheel”.

3) Another animated short that ran as part of Pinwheel, I think. In it, the youngest child in a family doesn’t have much self confidence. She paces back and forth saying, “I can’t” and as she does this, she shrinks smaller and smaller. At some point she rides around on a butterfly who gives her a pep talk. The whole short is haunting and dreamlike in that specifically 70’s animation way.

there are only about 10 hours of known publicly available pinwheel episodes out of the ~260 episodes that actually aired. unless someone has a hidden archive somewhere or nickelodeon decides to empty the vault, these are most likely lost to time: https://lostmediawiki.com/Pinwheel_(partially_found_Nickelodeon_educational_puppet_series;_1977-1990)

that page has YT links to all of the known available material so might be worth scrubbing through

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Check the Coe Film Associates catalogue for anything animated that ran on Pinwheel, if that’s possible. They were the company that licensed animated shorts to Nickelodeon in that era—anything shown on Pinwheel could have appeared somewhere else on the network. Clockman was from Coe, I believe.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

per the LMW for Clockman, the Coe Films stuff has been scattered among the companies that acquired CFA's catalogue and an attempt to locate their current whereabouts was unsuccessful even after contacting the executive producer of Pinwheel and a writer who worked for the show. if there's anybody out there who could get a solid lead on this stuff, it'd be the LMW people - they are persistent to say the least

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Years ago we had some 80s/early 90s issues of Fate Magazine. Paranormal thing from that era (and earlier).

At some point I think we mailed in for a catalog from some company that advertised in the magazine. Probably a bunch of new age stuff like you'd probably find at a mall store. Crystals, pewter dragon statues, etc.

One thing I remember is something that was akin to, "Young Dragons are often nervous when flying for the first time..." with a small dragon sitting inside a commercial airline seat looking anxious. It was something that looked cute that always sort of stuck with me, but I've not seen that image for nearly 30 years.

The image was either on a shirt or a greeting card or a poster or something, but I've been trying to find it again for years.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JediTalentAgent posted:

Years ago we had some 80s/early 90s issues of Fate Magazine. Paranormal thing from that era (and earlier).

At some point I think we mailed in for a catalog from some company that advertised in the magazine. Probably a bunch of new age stuff like you'd probably find at a mall store. Crystals, pewter dragon statues, etc.

One thing I remember is something that was akin to, "Young Dragons are often nervous when flying for the first time..." with a small dragon sitting inside a commercial airline seat looking anxious. It was something that looked cute that always sort of stuck with me, but I've not seen that image for nearly 30 years.

The image was either on a shirt or a greeting card or a poster or something, but I've been trying to find it again for years.

The Internet Archive has a pulp magazines scan collection which has a small number of issues of Fate magazine, you might get lucky and spot the ad which would give you a good lead
https://archive.org/details/pulpmagazinearchive

If you do a google image search for 'fate magazine cover' you might recognise one of the issues you used to own, which would also help narrow down the search

E: Fate's own webpage has a cover gallery but it seems really spotty and hard to sort: https://www.fatemag.com/fate-collectors-corner

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 25, 2022

Manos99
Mar 17, 2009

Vakal posted:

Anyone remember the name of that old puppet comedy show where one of the puppets was just a talking penis?

I thought for sure it was something Net Freaks, but searching is coming up with nothing.

That would be Internet Slutts.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Manos99 posted:

That would be Internet Slutts.

I was so close. Thanks!

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

barnold posted:

there are only about 10 hours of known publicly available pinwheel episodes out of the ~260 episodes that actually aired. unless someone has a hidden archive somewhere or nickelodeon decides to empty the vault, these are most likely lost to time: https://lostmediawiki.com/Pinwheel_(partially_found_Nickelodeon_educational_puppet_series;_1977-1990)

that page has YT links to all of the known available material so might be worth scrubbing through

Wow, thank you! I’ll dig through this and see what I can find.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Mescal posted:

The complete cartoons of the new yorker coffee table book: attached 2 cd-roms, but readable and non-corrupted

https://archive.org/details/Complete-New-Yorker-Cartoons-2004

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is the thread with the um, Greedo figurine, archived anywhere? I remember the whole thing was quite a wild ride.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm not sure if this exists or not: when I was a fairly young kid (early '90s), I remember watching a concert of the Boston Pops or something like that on the TV where they did the 'Typewriter Song'. I could swear that there was a live picture-in-picture screenshot of someone playing Tetris, but I've never managed to find any evidence of this.

If you search Youtube, one of the first videos that pop up is a concert of Tetris music with live gameplay of Tetris, but I don't think this is what I remember; it's too recent.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm not sure if this exists or not: when I was a fairly young kid (early '90s), I remember watching a concert of the Boston Pops or something like that on the TV where they did the 'Typewriter Song'. I could swear that there was a live picture-in-picture screenshot of someone playing Tetris, but I've never managed to find any evidence of this.

If you search Youtube, one of the first videos that pop up is a concert of Tetris music with live gameplay of Tetris, but I don't think this is what I remember; it's too recent.

The Typewriter was a Fiedler-era performance for the Pops, and he passed in 1979. This is definitely an amalgamation of two separate memories, as far as I can find the last official Pops performances of the song were at a fundraiser in 1998 and with Aerosmith's Steven Tyler in 1999, and there were no visual accompaniments to the music at either concert (other than the typewriter act itself).

It could very well be that someone just put a video of the Pops in the background of them playing Tetris, but I sure wasn't able to find anything

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

barnold posted:

The Typewriter was a Fiedler-era performance for the Pops, and he passed in 1979. This is definitely an amalgamation of two separate memories, as far as I can find the last official Pops performances of the song were at a fundraiser in 1998 and with Aerosmith's Steven Tyler in 1999, and there were no visual accompaniments to the music at either concert (other than the typewriter act itself).

It could very well be that someone just put a video of the Pops in the background of them playing Tetris, but I sure wasn't able to find anything

Thanks for looking! It wouldn't surprise me if it was a false memory (or a dim memory of something else); this was roughly around 30ish years ago now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Years and years ago (just before smartphones were ubiquitous and youtube hadn't rendered P2P mostly irrelevant so I guess 13-15 years ago) I kinda got into an arvo part/ Philip glass groove and ended up downloading this band that was not the aforementioned but their whole deal was they had a bunch of I guess gregorian chanting over the composition? It was not remotely old sounding and it almost sounded electronic. In truth I don't think they sounded like arvo part or Phil glass either but you know limewire labels. They weren't good (probably, I don't remember much) but man it was at least interesting and I'd like to listen again to see just how high I was. I kinda wanna say their name started with an L or an A but I'm not certain enough to say for sure and bias the search.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Enigma?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mister Speaker posted:

Is the thread with the um, Greedo figurine, archived anywhere? I remember the whole thing was quite a wild ride.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813781&userid=66613

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Just thought of a new one! Right before the pandemic and shortly into it, I was getting this really good Korean soy sauce from my local grocery store, good enough that I went through two big bottles of it relatively quickly, and then they stopped stocking it.

The name wasn’t in English, I know it was Korean, and it had a red label with some kind of little cartoon shrine kid on it. (He had a rope headband on, so I think it was a shrine kid anyway.)

Only other notable quality I remember was it had stevia extract in it, which was kind of surprising, but it did have a weird kind of sweetness to it which makes sense.