Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I've been trying to avoid the memeing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Nidoking posted:

I think starting a series with as much future history as this one has must be something like trying to get into any other long-running, popular series in the Internet age, wanting to share your experience with people who've seen and done it all, and discovering that the community will use you as a means to share the things that make you not yet part of it, often (apparently) oblivious to why you're not enjoying all the in-jokes. If you tell people you've just discovered this charming little game called Undertale, they'll tell you you're gonna have a bad time, offer you some spaghetti, and start humming Megalovania. Mention that you're trying to get into Doctor Who chronologically, and it's a toss-up whether they'll ask you to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow for a jelly baby or go straight to the "wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey" quotes. Bring up that interesting Jojo series that looks like they're going to be introducing vampires, and if any one of your friends doesn't immediately shout "ZA WARUDO!", please introduce me to them, because I need a new group of friends. Over time, any series develops enough self-awareness to pick up on those community jokes about itself and integrate them in some way, bringing the whole thing full circle (another Doctor Who joke, or just coincidence?) and making those jokes indistinguishable from the series proper, blurring the distinction even further for people who may want to encourage new fans, but don't seem to know how. It's one of those consummately human things that I hate, and the reason I've learned to finish doing anything before I let anyone know I've started it. That said, I've been enjoying reading this, I appreciate the extra effort to show the outcomes you miss in a normal playthrough, and I don't comment much for fear of becoming the thing I've spent most of this post complaining about.
Yeah, this is fair. This happens a lot. For what it's worth there ARE a couple of unique responses to showing the badge but much less than people generally joke/meme about. People just think the general idea of Phoenix shoving his badge in people's face is funny. It just doesn't really click for new people all the time.

Friendofdean
Aug 21, 2015

Rythian posted:

Yeah, this is fair. This happens a lot. For what it's worth there ARE a couple of unique responses to showing the badge but much less than people generally joke/meme about. People just think the general idea of Phoenix shoving his badge in people's face is funny. It just doesn't really click for new people all the time.

It doesn't help that there aren't that many fun badge dialogue events in the first game. From my memory of the series (which may be a little hazy on account of not having played the first three games for a few years now), they start popping up far more frequently in the second game onward. Kind of throws people off when they get into the series from the first installment and everyone keeps pushing them to show off the badge only for it to not even do anything interesting most of the time.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Friendofdean posted:

It doesn't help that there aren't that many fun badge dialogue events in the first game. From my memory of the series (which may be a little hazy on account of not having played the first three games for a few years now), they start popping up far more frequently in the second game onward. Kind of throws people off when they get into the series from the first installment and everyone keeps pushing them to show off the badge only for it to not even do anything interesting most of the time.

They really doubled down on showing people stuff in the second game, if I remember rightly.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The joke about the badge is that everyone did what DKII has been doing and showing the darn thing to everyone because surely it exists for some reason, when no, it's really just there for flavor and does nothing at all.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I have a suspicion that early on in development, it turned out the game would glitch out in some weird way if Phoenix' inventory was completely empty, so they just hardcoded it to always have the badge to prevent that glitch.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 59: Episode 3, Day 3, Trial: From Large to Small

Given what we currently know, it's impossible, but I'll let Edgeworth explain.

(I don't want to write off so many possible suspects...)

(But I can't keep claiming the impossible, either...)

Ha hah!

But I see you had at least an inkling of the truth.

Bah I'm sure we'll figure out a way around the latest statue-clock eventually. Oops, I spoiled it. Here it is...

It's quite simple...

However!

Sound: Desk Slam

Music: Silence

Sound: Objection

Strong gust of wind, my rear end. :sigh:

Ergo!

When the people in the trailer took a break at 2:30, the way to the studio was blocked.

Sound: Realization

(And somehow, I feel no desire to correct him.)

quote:

Bluffing is our forte so let's power through it and "claim it loud"!

(If I agree to let everyone in that trailer off the hook then the trial is over...)

(Mr. Powers will be found guilty for sure!)

The victim was murdered at 2:30, the exact time of the break in the meeting.

With 15 minutes, murder is certainly a possibility.

...Bluffing requires a bit more confidence in your statement there Phoenix.

Hmm...

I suppose you might say that...

(Alright, I've got the judge thinking now!)

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Never a dull moment with you, Mr. Wright!

What's your point, Edgeworth!

You've been doing your homework, haven't you?

Look at the Court Record.

The Court Record...?

Surely, you knew that from 2:15 to 4:00 the path between the studios was blocked?

Mrs. Monkey's head had fallen across the path!

Whoa! You're right!
Sound: Stab

True, the break in the trailer meeting came right at the time of death...

However!

The path from there to the scene of the crime was blocked!

The fallen Mrs. Monkey head barred the way!

(It's actually "Mr. Monkey," but Edgeworth has a point...)

(And somehow, I feel no desire to correct him.)

No counter-argument, Mr. Wright?

Then I'm afraid you lose this round.
Sound: Damage 2

Say bye-bye to two health sections if you went this route! We still continue with the next scene, though.

I would like to relieve Mr. Manella from the stand.

(Wh-what? It's over?)
Sound: Whoops

Phoenix, we can't let that stand, that alibi needs to get broken! Do something!

Sound: Gallery

Sound: Gavel

We have found that there were several other people in Studio 2 on the day of the murder.

They therefore have no relation to this case.

Dammit, we've got nothing here, do we?

Given the size of the costume, no one other than Mr. Powers could have worn it that day.

Oh, here comes Cody. This day just keeps getting better and better.

If we had that, I'm afraid I would have to find Mr. Powers guilty.

Your Honor.

Music: Suspense

Sound: Whack

Sound: Drama Pound

Three straight gallery shots, Edgeworth really has the crowd buzzing now.

Sound: Gavel x 3

Order! I will have order!

I see.

Court is adjourned for recess!

Well, that could have gone better. We haven't even gotten to use any of our evidence yet!

I know Mia, it looks bad. Got any more magic spirit medium stuff for us?

If everyone in that trailer has an alibi...

I'm sorry, Phoenix.

M-Mia!

Don't get me wrong.

Only one thing became clear in your cross-examination.

We're giving up on this alibi thing awfully quickly here. We must have yet another day of investigation coming to try and disprove it?

I thought there was more to it than that...

But I was wrong.

That's all there is.

Er... What's going to happen to me?

They think I'm a murderer!

Yeah, Will, you're on trial for murder, that's kind of how this works.

If you are innocent, we will prove it. I guarantee it.

Leave it to us, and... be yourself. Be strong.

I...
Sound: Light Bulb

You...

Okay, Phoenix.

This one's for the kids!

Let's do it!

Music: Trial

The prosecution has a concern.

As our witness is a grade schooler of tender years, and this is a murder case...

I don't believe for a second that you're worried about this kid, Edgeworth, but good effort trying to hamstring us before we're even out of the gate.

(Nice to see Edgeworth taking the moral high ground...)

However, we have no choice.

:roflolmao:

Oh, r-right.

I was kind of hoping he'd have to testify like that. :allears: Next time we'll hear from Cody and try to break him down!

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
As frustrating as it is to not break Sal's alibi, do you really want to have another round of crossex with some like that?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

mr_stibbons posted:

As frustrating as it is to not break Sal's alibi, do you really want to have another round of crossex with some like that?

Please don't shorten it to "crossex" when talking about him

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

serefin99 posted:

Please don't shorten it to "crossex" when talking about him
(Spoiler added for NMS)

No, shortening it to that is needed to point why you really don't want to keep cross examining Salmonella.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Something tells me the kid should be treated as a hostile witness…

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

For Phoenix, that's nothing new.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

achtungnight posted:

Something tells me the kid should be treated as a hostile witness…

Any witness that isn't called by you is automatically "hostile" by practice (though not by definition) as you are already allowed to ask leading questions. It's only when the witness is yours do you request to treat them as hostile if they contradict your position. :eng101:

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

I think one of my favorite things about this franchise is how there aren't really THAT many sprites for each character, but they manage to make them feel tremendously different in each situation they're used in.

The judge's wide-eyed, blinking face seems totally different when he uses it in surprise that phoenix is so stupid, as opposed to when the killer has a complete meltdown on the stand, the courtroom goes silent, fades to black, then fades back in on the judge as he says "well that was weird"

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 60: Episode 3, Day 3, Trial: Witness to a Live Performance

Will the witness state his name and grade in school.

Witness!

Yeah I don't think this kid needs to be protected from our "cruel questioning". Who's going to protect Phoenix and Edgeworth from him?

Cody?

I'm Cody Hackins. I'm in 2nd grade!

Mr. Edgeworth.

M-mrrrrph!

Witness! Er, I mean, Cody.

(He's having trouble with this "gentle" thing.)

They let him bring that sword into the courtroom, huh?

Please tell us what you saw that day.

Just... Mr. Edgeworth will be fine.

Nope, your new name is pops. :dealwithit:

The judge is an identity-less clone and can't admit to not having a name.

(A very long day...)

Incidentally,

You have a problem with the camera, but not the sword on his back? I mean, it's probably not real, but still?

Sound: Whoops

Looks like Edgeworth goofed up here!

I'd like special permission, if that's possible.

I do kind of like the game bending over backwards to justify not having different sprites for trial. I wonder if that continued in later games that weren't as constrained.

That one was out loud! :lol:

Hey! I just got this new camera!

Didn't he give us a whole album of pictures he'd taken with that camera? Maybe he's downplaying his abilities so he can keep it with him?

But I bring it with me wherever I go!

Phoenix.

He literally said he never misses a killing blow, so I sure hope so.

You'd better make a note of it in the Court Record.

Sound: Select Jingle

Very well, Cody.

Sound: Testimony 2

Music: Questioning - Moderato

I found a map on the Internet, and went to the studios that day.

I was going for the studio.

I got kinda lost on the way, though. For about 30 minutes.

It totally rocked! Right before my eyes, out came the bad guy!

Anyway, I couldn't get into the studio, so I went home.

A lot to unpack there; nine lines of testimony in all (the last one doesn't count for some reason). So what do we have? Cody says it was the first time he ever went to the studio, but others have said he's been seen running around there all the time. No mention of him coming through the drain, either. He went through the woods, off the path, but somehow got his photo taken (which Oldbag later deleted) on the way to Studio One? Also he said he didn't have his camera with him for the murder itself, after earlier saying he always kept it with him (and never missed a final blow, either). I'm not sure what to make of him being lost for 30 minutes, but it does explain the time difference between the deleted photo of him (taken at or before 2:00 PM) and the time of death (2:30 PM).

Hmm...

But be gentle. Remember you're talking to a child.

I wanted to see a Steel Samurai rehearsal, just once.

You really like the Steel Samurai, huh?

Course I do!

Sound: Pong

And I go to all the live performances!

That's impressive.

Course! Duh!

My Dad always takes me!

(Poor, poor Dad...)

I found a map on the Internet, and went to the studios that day.

Was that day the first time you'd been to the studio?

Uh, actually I've been a couple of times.

And that security lady's always yelling...

Right, right. Please continue.

Chill, pops! I'm getting to it!

Sound: Stab 2

I went through the woods, off the path, so that old lady wouldn't catch me.

"Off the path"...?

Yeah, you know how the studios are in a valley there?

This sequence seems like important information for later, but we don't note or record it at all. Maybe it'll come up again on its own.

I see.

Anyhow...

I was going for the studio.

Did nothing unusual happen on your way to the studio?

"Unusual"?

Oh, you mean Mr. Monkey?

Yeah I saw him, but his head wasn't busted!

Interesting. Was this when he got there at 2:00PM, or when he saw the "incident" at 2:30PM? The head was supposedly busted at 2:15PM...

I got kinda lost on the way, though. For about 30 minutes.

You got lost in the woods?

Yeah. I couldn't figure out which way I was walking.

But guess what happened next!

When I came out by the studio, there was the Steel Samurai!

The Steel Samurai?

Yeah, he was standing by the studio gate.

Then he opened up the gate and went inside.

I see. What then?

It totally rocked! Right before my eyes, out came the bad guy!

What sort of "bad guy" was it?

Are you sure it was a guy?

I dunno. He was kinda far away.

Of course, the Steel Samurai took him down! Pow!

What happened to the bad guy?

Huh?

Well...

Well, he kinda didn't move. Not a bit. Like he was dead.

Y-yes, I suppose he was.

If I had my camera with me, that woulda been the time for a shot, I tell you.

"If" you had your camera?

You mean, you weren't carrying your camera then?

N-no, I wasn't.

(Really...?)

That's all we have. Any advice Mia?

For some reason this line from Phoenix replaces Cody's actual final line of testimony.

Phoenix.

Remember, he's a child.

(Easy for you to say...)

Well, that's all we have. I can see a few possibilities here, but nothing clear-cut. As promised, since the answer wasn't obvious to me, and I looked through the Court Record to narrow it down, I'll post it here for you as well:

Attorney's Badge - No one would believe I was a defense attorney if I didn't carry this.

Jack's Autopsy Report - Time of death: 10/15 at 2:30 PM. Cause: Pierced through the chest by a spear.

Powers's(?) Photo - He's dragging one leg. [Oct 15, 2:00 PM, Photo #2]

Check:

Guidemap - Guidemap to Global Studios.

Check:

Samurai Spear - The murder weapon. A break in the shaft has been mended with duct tape.

Empty Bottle - Found on a table in the employee area. The label reads "Sleeping Pills."

Mr. Monkey's Head - Blocked the path to the scene of the crime between 2:15 PM and 4:00 PM.

"Path to Glory" - Contains photos of every victory scene in every battle the Steel Samurai has won.

Cody's Camera - A new digital camera. Cody always carries it, though he's still learning how to use it.

So now that you've refreshed yourself on the Court Record, which piece of evidence shows the contradiction in Cody's testimony?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Like I said, hostile witness. :)

Try the photo album. The camera seems a tad too obvious.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gosts posted:

The judge's wide-eyed, blinking face seems totally different when he uses it in surprise that phoenix is so stupid, as opposed to when the killer has a complete meltdown on the stand, the courtroom goes silent, fades to black, then fades back in on the judge as he says "well that was weird"
Oh yeah. This game manages to do surprisingly a lot with very little.

On that note, DKII - there's a climactic bit in a couple of updates (once you manage to figure out who the murderer is) that you really want to capture on video. Both to demonstrate the above, and because it doesn't really work as gifs with "music starts" and "music ends" notes.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xander77 posted:

Oh yeah. This game manages to do surprisingly a lot with very little.

On that note, DKII - there's a climactic bit in a couple of updates (once you manage to figure out who the murderer is) that you really want to capture on video. Both to demonstrate the above, and because it doesn't really work as gifs with "music starts" and "music ends" notes.
Considering DKII took a week off to get an update buffer ready I'd bet they're past the point you're thinking of already.

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017
Hi! I'm new to the thread, but I'm familiar with the series and I'm enjoying this a lot.

Carrying on with the amateur lawyering I vote for Cody's Camera since it literally says in the description that he carries it everywhere. Let's throw his words back in his face and show Edgeworth how you really negotiate with a child!

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I don't really pop in to vote, since I've played the games already so I know the right answer, and I either vote the correct answer, or something I know is incorrect.

But I want to say I'm enjoying reading this LP, and I think the right answer for this one is definitely the Attorney's Badge. (not really)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Rythian posted:

I don't really pop in to vote, since I've played the games already so I know the right answer, and I either vote the correct answer, or something I know is incorrect.

Yes, for the exact same reason I won't vote either. There's prob people voting who know the game in and out and I wonder how they decide to vote (if they vote anything that's not the badge).

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
So the game's making a point to mention that it's possible to cut through the woods, but it's also alleging that the monkey head blocking the path would make it impossible to move between studios? It's a shame that you can't go back to examine previous testimonies, because that would seem to be a massive contradiction.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It's a little weird because for this whole mystery to work the way the story is laying it out, the adults have to be restricted in when and where they can move, but the kid needs to be able to move more freely to witness what he needs to.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
To be fair, the kid apparently gets in via a little drain cover as well, so the it's already established that the kid can go where the adults can't. I don't think Maya could fit through that, let alone Windbag, Powers, or Sal. He's also a lot more willing to get dirty to move around, where the adults are meeting with executives (and probably don't want to explain errant foliage in their clothes) or are wearing costumes (and thus don't want to damage the costume, especially for a rehearsal).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The discrepency also goes away if you assume that Cody getting "lost" for half an hour in like less than an acre of woods was just how long it took him to find a navigable path through the underbrush. It's not necessary for the woods to be impenetrable to clear Sal and Dee, just that it would take longer than the window of the break they can't vouch for.

EDIT: Of course, they're using each other for an alibi so there's nothing that says they can't have done it together. But if Phoenix brought up such an outlandish conjecture with zero evidence Edgeworth would smirk him into oblivion.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 61: Episode 3, Day 3, Trial: Gentle Meltdown

If we're wrong on our evidence too many times, this day of trial gives slightly different failure text again:

That's enough!

This court sees no reason to further prolong the trial.

(Uh oh...)

This court finds the defendant, Mr. Will Powers.

And guilty! But let's not go down that road...

The group is pretty confident in the answer this time...

This choice is tricky, because the evidence itself isn't directly contradictory, but the statement Cody made while we recorded the evidence in the Court Record sure is!

Cody, what you just said seems, well, a little strange.

You were quite clear about that.

Since we're supposed to be gentle with Cody, I'm going to call that face "gentle meltdown".

Music: Objection!

Mr. Wright! A word with you...

(Uh oh... was I putting the pressure on too much?)

Come on, gramps. Digital cameras were all the rage in the late 90s, until they got mostly replaced by smartphones.

It's kind of a new sort of camera.

(How do I explain that!?)

I see.

Anyway, Cody...

I have no idea where this sequence is going. Why would he be lying about bringing his camera in the first place?

You did bring it, didn't you?

Umm...

Mr. Wright!

Anyway, we must be on the right track if Edgeworth is objecting with no substance behind it.

What do you mean "or a prosecuting attorney"!?

Exactly what he said, smug nuts. :flame:

Well, Cody?

Wh-what!

You got a problem with that!?
Sound: Damage 2

The crowd is into it. I like the box they got Cody to stand on. Is he using his backpack as a sheath for that sword?

So, you did have a camera?

W-why would I use it?

I... I was too busy watching.

Hmm...

Is that really any different from his first testimony? Whatever, at least we get another shot at it.

Shout out to the person who recommended I turn on the (partial) transparency for the dialogue boxes. We wouldn't be able to see Cody's manic snarl here otherwise. Looking back that was user Booky - thanks!

The Steel Samurai, he goes for the bad guy... wham!

Then... then the bad guy stopped moving!

More vague testimony from Cody. We know the killing blow was a shot through the chest with the spear, but apparently we'll have to tease it out of him. If he's even describing the real killing and not some preliminary confrontation that took place earlier.

Hmm...

Well, that was brief.

Mr. Wright, your cross-examination.

I'm going to reverse myself a bit and show the "end of cross" dialogue at the beginning from now on. Narratively I think it makes more sense as a strategy sidebar between the initial testimony and the cross, anyway.

(Something about his account doesn't seem right...)

Phoenix.

Press him on the facts, Phoenix! Find out what he saw!

All right, let's do it!

Y-yeah, I had my camera with me.

So, why didn't you use it?

Straight to the point...

He's getting to that!

Well get to it faster!

Relax and listen.

Umm...

But I was glued to the action! I couldn't take my eyes off it!

Y-yeah, of course!

You didn't turn away, not even once?

N... no!

Okay, then tell us exactly what happened.

The Steel Samurai, he goes for the bad guy... wham!

So the bad guy attacked him first?

Yeah!

What sort of person was this "bad guy"?

How was he dressed?

I kinda don't remember.

I was too busy watching the Steel Samurai!

Edgeworth can't handle witnesses that aren't at his level. Which is basically all of them.

Then... then the bad guy stopped moving!

Why?

Why wasn't the bad guy moving?

And how exactly did he do that?

With a Samurai Kick! And a Samurai Punch!

Samurai Chop!... Samurai Slap!

(He's still being vague about this...)

What! Don't gimme that look, pops!

We've got one line of testimony left, I'll wait and come back to this one.

(Yeah...)

(I'll sit back and see how the rest of this goes.)

He's so strong! The Steel Samurai rules!

What did you do after the bad guy fell, Cody?

Um, actually...

So I went straight home.

Well, not much there.

Let's go back and press harder on the previous line.

Cody.

Wh-what!?

Something's bothering me.

Y-yeah? So what?

Counter-objections! Neither of these make any legal sense.

You know as well as I do that he's being vague!

Music: Telling the Truth

My point is this:

This entire line of questioning seems like a reversal of prior cases. The prosecution can't prove that Cody saw the killing blow, so it might not have been Powers? Usually we would have to bend over backwards to prove not only that Powers didn't do it, but that someone else did do it (and is the only one who could have done it).

Sound: Gavel x 3

Order! Order!

Mr. Wright!

How could this be?

Phoenix!

Think: why didn't Cody see the climax of the fight?

I know you! You can figure this out!

Mr. Wright, your answer!

The first two options are pretty vague, and there's no way an option for "Show evidence" isn't going to get used. No penalties here, so let's see what the first two say before we try and present something.

Because he couldn't watch it!

Just a moment, please...

He did not believe he was witnessing a murder!

He was watching the Steel Samurai fight, like on TV.

Yeah, that one's a whiff. Also, way to spill the beans you two, Cody can still hear you, you know!

Umm... huh.

I have to agree with Mr. Edgeworth.

We have ascertained that this young boy is a great fan of the Steel Samurai...

He missed the climax of the fight...

...Not real confident in that answer, is he?

"Probably"?

"Something else"?

Mr. Wright, explain yourself!

What do you claim he was looking at?

O-ooof!

Mr. Wright!

Please refrain from making baseless claims!

Y-yes... Sorry, Your Honor.

It's pretty clear we have to show some evidence, but what?

Your Honor, I have evidence.

"Evidence"...?

Yes, Your Honor.

Here's a weird bug - that line doesn't seem like one Phoenix should be speaking. The judge's mouth didn't move, either. Maybe Phoenix is asking himself a rhetorical question so he can answer himself with some sweet evidence.

Speaking of which, what evidence should we present here?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Here’s where we use the album. I was wrong before.

I’m sure plenty of people will vote for the badge instead. ::)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

achtungnight posted:

I’m sure plenty of people will vote for the badge instead. ::)

Of course! Cody has realized that if he becomes a lawyer he'll have plenty of money to buy merch from the show. He also might get to help bring people to justice! He got so excited about the prospect that he started studying a law textbook instead of watching the fight.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It sometimes tripped me up in this game that you might have fairly pointless testimony, and then have to pedantically poke a hole somewhere in order to proceed. But it tends to come together in the end.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Of course! Cody has realized that if he becomes a lawyer he'll have plenty of money to buy merch from the show. He also might get to help bring people to justice! He got so excited about the prospect that he started studying a law textbook instead of watching the fight.

Phoenix is a defense attorney and is on the brink of bankruptcy. There is a clear contradiction in this testimony!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

DKII posted:

Counter-objections! Neither of these make any legal sense.

They don't? Have these games lied to me all these years? :v:

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017
Use the album

Basically because it's the only thing related to the silver samurai, but I'm not seeing why exactly he wouldn't take a picture, except that it might have been too violent for him to watch. He said earlier that he always takes a picture of the killing blow for the album, so maybe there's a pic in there?

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
I think it'll be Cody's camera. He did say he always captures the conclusion of every fight for his album, but he didn't know how to use his new camera well. He probably ejected the SD card instead of taking a photo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm gonna go for the long bet and say either, and whichever one you present will lead to a follow-up question where you have to present the other.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

It happens very rarely, but there are a couple of times when multiple pieces of evidence is valid to progress. I think it's happened at least once in this lp so far too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

raifield posted:

I think it'll be Cody's camera. He did say he always captures the conclusion of every fight for his album, but he didn't know how to use his new camera well. He probably ejected the SD card instead of taking a photo.

Really? Even after we just presented it? Does this game do that often?

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Samovar posted:

Really? Even after we just presented it? Does this game do that often?

Kind of. Can't really say more than that, but it's a good note that just because we covered a piece of evidence extensively does not mean that the evidence is off the table for being presented immediately after (as evidence is the way the game allows for open-ended answers, such as "Okay, but what about this but with a new question or in a new perspective", vs dialogue choices being more constrained choices).

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 62: Episode 3, Day 3, Trial: This Changes Everything

This choice is a tough one. There's only one right answer, and for what I think is the first time, the thread has landed on the wrong one.

We are once again counting on the camera we got this morning, rather than all the new evidence we painstakingly acquired in the last investigation sequence. That last part of the description is key here. Anyway...

What's that? The camera...?

Yes, I'm aware of that.

He wasn't entirely familiar with its operation.

I'm aware of that, too.

Ah!

Because he was looking at his camera!

quote:

No penalty here, so any incorrect answer (including the album, alas) just puts us into a retry loop the same as picking one of the options other than presenting evidence.

Here's my proof!

Proof?

Um, uh...

Can I... do that again?

(This doesn't prove anything...!)

Hah! Lost your nerve, have you?

Very well... I'll ask you the question again.

And we're back to the earlier prompt yet again.

Cody's shocked face looks a lot like Maya's, come to think of it. His mouth is open so wide it's somehow broken free of his face!

Two full screenshots in a row of one-word lines, but the sprites here were worth it.

W-what's your problem, pops!

You got a thing for picking on little kids!?

(Pressing, not picking...)

Good job, Phoenix!

Cody was lying, clearly.

and not take a picture!

So where's the picture then? Sheesh.

Right!

Cody?

And that was because you wanted to take a picture.

Is this camera different from the one he used to take all the finishing shots for his album? He sure knowed how to use the camera well enough to get a good picture every other time.

So, you missed the climax of the fight. Correct?

Well, Phoenix.

Have him testify again!

Might as well, I still have no idea what is going on with this case.

R-right. (Mia means business!)

Your Honor.

"Only this time, actually tell the truth!" Muahaha.

V-very well.

Cody?

And about why you didn't take a picture of the fight?

Umm...

(Welcome to the real world, kid!)

Music: Questioning - Allegro

Sweet we've unlocked Allegro! We're onto something here!

Yeah, you're right, pops.

So I held up my camera to take a picture!

But the lens wouldn't open in time, so I missed it.

I'm not sorry about bringing this kid to tears. He's clearly still hiding something with that last line of testimony.

Hmm...

I'm not sure...

But I'd like to proceed with the cross-examination anyway.

There has to be something.

You got it!

Yeah, you're right, pops.

"Pops"...?

G-geezer...?

I'm "Mr. Edgeworth."

Nobody asked you!

Or you, you nameless clone! Geez I have five lines to press on and you all just wasted that one!

Never mind, Cody saved it, carry on.

Testify!

Yipes!

The Steel Samurai had just escaped from the clutches of the villain.

So you did see the beginning of the fight?

Yeah.

Did you notice anything unusual?

Umm... well... uh...

Ugh that just implicates Powers again, and his busted ankle.

(Moving... strangely?)

So I held up my camera to take a picture!

By the way, that's not me changing the sprites on my own. The entire cross uses Cody's "crying" sprite, even for lines where he had a different sprite in the original testimony. :iiam:

Why couldn't you take a picture?

I tried to take a picture, I really tried.

But the lens wouldn't open in time, so I missed it.

When the lens opened, what did you see?

Th-that's all that happened. Yup.

That's all?

(Hmm... I would have, once I got that lens open...)

You know we're here to press hard.

(Nah, he definitely would have taken a picture.)

Cody!

You do? I mean, of course you do!

You took a picture!

... Hey!

(Bullseye...?)

I see through all your lies Cody Hackins. It's one of my powers!

W-wow!

Phoenix you're bullying a little kid, dial it back on the self-congratulations.

Y-yeah... Yeah, I took a picture.

quote:

Letting it slide just backs out without getting us the revised line. So basically, not what we want.

(He looks ready to burst into tears...)

(I'd better lay off him for now.)

Hmm, a new line. Let's press again!

You "erased" them?

Y-yeah!

Well... y'know.

(Hmm... he's becoming less and less cooperative.)

Hmm... that's it?

The revised line is clearly where we need to present something. But what? I won't stop to ask for input here; the answer was obvious to me, anyway.

The thread jumped the gun, but it is time to use the album now. This album says it all - Cody never misses a victory scene, so why would he erase the shots he took of the murder?

Cody!

Wh-wh-what!?

Huh? O-oh... right.

What was it you told me then?

I got 'em all! I never missed one! A perfect collection!

Cody.

If you did, I find it hard to believe that you would just erase it!

Ah!

Mr. Wright...

It's called "Path to Glory."

He claims it's a perfect collection of every battle the Steel Samurai has won!

I... I see.

Don't you find this very odd, Your Honor?

Or he just hadn't had time to print out the picture and put it in the album yet? This whole line of questioning is kind of odd; we're pointing out contradictions but not really getting anywhere, just trying to tease more information out of Cody.

Order!

Mr. Wright. Have you an explanation?

I certainly would expect to see a picture of it in this album...

Exactly my point, Your Honor!

Sound: Stab x 5

What?! Phoenix had an epiphany so strong he got stabbed five times over it!

Phoenix?

And what a truth it is!

Stop dancing around it and tell me!

Did he actually...?

Yes.

Tell them, Phoenix. Tell them what the truth is.

Why was there no picture in the album from the day of the murder?

Holy poo poo! poo poo poo poo poo poo! This changes everything! Look at that last option! I've completely overlooked this glaring hole in our theory - what if Hammer was the one who drugged Powers and wore the Steel Samurai costume! And he went to go confront someone from Studio Two, and lost! He knew about Powers's injury to fake it for the camera. We kind of assumed he went straight to Studio One after the run-through, but don't really have any evidence of that, so he could have circled back to the Employee Area. Maybe he was trying to frame Powers for killing what ended up being his killer, or maybe he got lured out there by the killer. But it explains why we saw no blood in the flashbacks where we saw the body, or at the crime scene - it was all in the Steel Samurai costume, which is still missing (and was probably incinerated at Studio Two!). The motive even makes more sense here - Hammer was on the outs with the studio, and probably had a grudge with them.

We still have to crack the Studio Two alibi situation, but for the first time all episode I feel like we're finally putting some pieces together. I'm not an easy person to surprise, but I can't even continue this scene, because I need to go recover from the sheer shock of this revelation. There is some great foreshadowing in the dialogue in this update if you want to go re-read it, though (maybe prior ones, too). See you next year!

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
There are a lot of issues with this case, but this twist is so good that I'm willing to ignore most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It's kinda funny how we spent so much time ragging on this kid about being ~*true fan*~ just to finally get a solid lead out of him. But yeah, it's a real good moment.