Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Twenty years ago or so now I spent a summer working in a liquor store. I worked the register.

Every week we were, somehow, $20 short at the register. The store owner always docked our salaries and said we must've just screwed up and it was our fault. The only week we were on target was the week that the store owner took vacation. That week we were within a nickel. Dude was taking $20 out of the register every week and docking us for, it just because he could and because he knew we had no way to prove otherwise.

I currently have a client who has been in jail for the past three months and will be in jail over Christmas and New Year's . . .. for allegedly taking a few hundred dollars from a cash register while working as a cashier. . . . .roughly a decade ago, at a store that closed seven years ago. The prosecutor refused to agree to lift his bond.

No one is even asking for restitution; there's no store left for restitution to be made to.

The system is working as designed.

How did they catch the guy who stole from the register ten years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Twenty years ago or so now I spent a summer working in a liquor store. I worked the register.

Every week we were, somehow, $20 short at the register. The store owner always docked our salaries and said we must've just screwed up and it was our fault. The only week we were on target was the week that the store owner took vacation. That week we were within a nickel. Dude was taking $20 out of the register every week and docking us for, it just because he could and because he knew we had no way to prove otherwise.

I currently have a client who has been in jail for the past three months and will be in jail over Christmas and New Year's . . .. for allegedly taking a few hundred dollars from a cash register while working as a cashier. . . . .roughly a decade ago, at a store that closed seven years ago. The prosecutor refused to agree to lift his bond.

No one is even asking for restitution; there's no store left for restitution to be made to.

I probably don't have to say this to you if you're in the legal profession now, but it's illegal to dock anyone's pay simply because there's not enough money in the register. The store owner was blatantly breaking labor laws the entire time, and got away with it only because neither you nor anyone else in the store reported it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I AM GRANDO posted:

Outstanding warrant. I don't remember his case specifically but usually this kind of thing its either a random traffic stop or someone is applying for a job and the background check tells them they have a warrant so they go turn themselves in.

Main Paineframe posted:

I probably don't have to say this to you if you're in the legal profession now, but it's illegal to dock anyone's pay simply because there's not enough money in the register. The store owner was blatantly breaking labor laws the entire time, and got away with it only because neither you nor anyone else in the store reported it.

Oh it was the least of his lawbreaking -- the dude literally had prostitutes come into his office during the work day while the store was open - total slimeball - but we were all kids, the amount was small and divided among us so below the "is this worth making trouble?" threshold, and this was the nineties, pre-ubiquitous-recording, so I don't think there was a camera in the entire store the entire time I worked there.]

I'm actually curious now as to what would've happened if we had reported it. I imagine we'd have been fired ( he was the type dumb enough to do that) and we'd have sued for retaliatory firing and wage theft and if we were very lucky we'd have gone through an administrative process (eeoc?) and gotten a trivial payout. And that's the best case, because we were all white and affluent. There's another version of that story that ends with us all in jail for theft from the register.

I did a little bit of employment law about ten years ago. Just one case that I remember going to litigation. Managed to get a woman a few month's worth of salary back and enough in attorney's fees to maybe cover a fraction of the work we put into the case. Not really worth the time or trouble except as a point of pride.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 20, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

I AM GRANDO posted:

Considering restitution is impossible and 10 years is beyond the statute of limitations for theft in every state I can think of, it's likely he was caught a long time ago, skipped out on court and got a capias, and didn't get picked up for several years.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Youth Decay posted:

https://twitter.com/jordangreennc/status/1604923806174380038
This is interesting, doubt the FBI is going to actually do anything about it though

Assuming that this is accurate (and it's like fourthhand speculation, why would you just assume the FBI isn't going to do anything about it?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cat botherer posted:

If wage theft happened to me, I'd want the people responsible to go to jail, just like if they stole it from me using a more stereotypical poor-person method. I hardly think I'm unusual in this.

yeah, did you miss the very next sentence? that bit you quoted is about the state of the system, not my personal feelings on it

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

My understanding is that FBI is really aggressive about groups that screw with infrastructure.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Considering restitution is impossible and 10 years is beyond the statute of limitations for theft in every state I can think of, it's likely he was caught a long time ago, skipped out on court and got a capias, and didn't get picked up for several years.

My state officially has no statute of limitations but yeah in this case I believe it was an old warrant they just hadn't served on him. I'm going from memory on that though and could be wrong ( and wouldn't want to go into any more precise detail anyway).

The specific details of each case don't matter that much anyway for purposes of this discussion. The larger point is that the entire system is set up such that some people have to go hire a lawyer to get justice, and other people get to use the criminal system to force what are or should be civil judgments. A business steals from you, go get a lawyer, good luck. A business says you stole from it? You don't need to get a lawyer, you'll have one appointed -- because you'll be locked up and charged with a crime.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 20, 2022

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Yep. = (

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

My state officially has no statute of limitations but yeah in this case I believe it was an old warrant they just hadn't served on him. I'm going from memory on that though and could be wrong ( and wouldn't want to go into any more precise detail anyway).

The specific details of each case don't matter that much anyway for purposes of this discussion. The larger point is that the entire system is set up such that some people have to go hire a lawyer to get justice, and other people get to use the criminal system to force what are or should be civil judgments. A business steals from you, go get a lawyer, good luck. A business says you stole from it? You don't need to get a lawyer, you'll have one appointed -- because you'll be locked up and charged with a crime.

... how does one even get any sort of reliable testimony for something that happened so long ago (...setting aside the issue in cases that are prosecuted under what weirdly counts as a "speedy trial" in the usual cases)?
And really, if someone has stayed out of trouble for ten years, maybe the prosecutor really should consider plea bargaining them for probation + a whole bunch of community service or something, they don't exactly seem like a threat to the community :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If prosecutors were always competent and rational and fair my job wouldn't need to exist

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

This sounds close to victim-blaming, and elides the very real and structurally-inherent disparities in power, knowledge and status between employer and employees that may result in the employees not knowing about their formal avenues of recourse or not daring to exercise their nominal rights under the legal system.

Would you say to the victims of Harvey Weinstein that "Harvey was breaking sexual assault laws the entire time, and got away with it only because neither you nor anyone else in the production house reported it"?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

fizzy posted:

This sounds close to victim-blaming, and elides the very real and structurally-inherent disparities in power, knowledge and status between employer and employees that may result in the employees not knowing about their formal avenues of recourse or not daring to exercise their nominal rights under the legal system.

Would you say to the victims of Harvey Weinstein that "Harvey was breaking sexual assault laws the entire time, and got away with it only because neither you nor anyone else in the production house reported it"?

I don't see how this is strawmanning. MPF is literally saying that Hieronymous's boss got away with it because they didn't report him. That's victim blaming.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't see how this is strawmanning. MPF is literally saying that Hieronymous's boss got away with it because they didn't report him. That's victim blaming.

generally speaking, law authorities are not aware of crimes that go unreported

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wells Fargo paying $3.7 billion in fines and refunds for Wells Fargo things https://www.consumerfinance.gov/abo...posit-accounts/

quote:

According to today’s enforcement action, Wells Fargo harmed millions of consumers over a period of several years, with violations across many of the bank’s largest product lines. The CFPB’s specific findings include that Wells Fargo:

Unlawfully repossessed vehicles and bungled borrower accounts: Wells Fargo had systematic failures in its servicing of automobile loans that resulted in $1.3 billion in harm across more than 11 million accounts. The bank incorrectly applied borrowers’ payments, improperly charged fees and interest, and wrongfully repossessed borrowers’ vehicles. In addition, the bank failed to ensure that borrowers received a refund for certain fees on add-on products when a loan ended early.
Improperly denied mortgage modifications: During at least a seven-year period, the bank improperly denied thousands of mortgage loan modifications, which in some cases led to Wells Fargo customers losing their homes to wrongful foreclosures. The bank was aware of the problem for years before it ultimately addressed the issue.
Illegally charged surprise overdraft fees: For years, Wells Fargo unfairly charged surprise overdraft fees - fees charged even though consumers had enough money in their account to cover the transaction at the time the bank authorized it - on debit card transactions and ATM withdrawals. As early as 2015, the CFPB, as well as other federal regulators, including the Federal Reserve, began cautioning financial institutions against this practice, known as authorized positive fees.
Unlawfully froze consumer accounts and mispresented fee waivers: The bank froze more than 1 million consumer accounts based on a faulty automated filter’s determination that there may have been a fraudulent deposit, even when it could have taken other actions that would have not harmed customers. Customers affected by these account freezes were unable to access any of their money in accounts at the bank for an average of at least two weeks. The bank also made deceptive claims as to the availability of waivers for a monthly service fee.

quote:

Enforcement action
Under the Consumer Financial Protection Act, the CFPB has the authority to take action against institutions violating federal consumer financial laws, including by engaging in unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts or practices. The CFPB’s investigation found that Wells Fargo violated the Act’s prohibition on unfair and deceptive acts and practices.

The CFPB order requires Wells Fargo to:

Provide more than $2 billion in redress to consumers: Wells Fargo will be required to pay redress totaling more than $2 billion to harmed customers. These payments represent refunds of wrongful fees and other charges and compensation for a variety of harms such as frozen bank accounts, illegally repossessed vehicles, and wrongfully foreclosed homes. Specifically, Wells Fargo will have to pay:
More than $1.3 billion in consumer redress for affected auto lending accounts.
More than $500 million in consumer redress for affected deposit accounts, including $205 million for illegal surprise overdraft fees.
Nearly $200 million in consumer redress for affected mortgage servicing accounts.
Stop charging surprise overdraft fees: Wells Fargo may not charge overdraft fees for deposit accounts when the consumer had available funds at the time of a purchase or other debit transaction, but then subsequently had a negative balance once the transaction settled. Surprise overdraft fees have been a recurring issue for consumers who can neither reasonably anticipate nor take steps to avoid them.
Ensure auto loan borrowers receive refunds for certain add-on fees: Wells Fargo must ensure that the unused portion of GAP contracts, a type of debt cancellation contract that covers the remaining amount of the borrower’s auto loan in the case of a major accident or theft, is refunded to the borrower when a loan is paid off or otherwise terminates early.
Pay $1.7 billion in penalties: Wells Fargo will pay a $1.7 billion penalty to the CFPB, which will be deposited into the CFPB’s victims relief fund.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

If they had reported it other things would happen besides the authorities finding out, for example being fired. It's not as simple as tell the government and get your $20 back.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well yeah, and I assume Hieronymous was aware of that as well. Everyone knows that unreported crimes don't get prosecuted. Why did that need to be pointed out? Like fizzy said, it reveals a lack of understanding for why those crimes go unreported - because of the power imbalance and fear of reprisal. The comparison to sexual assault may not be very charitable, but the exact same power dynamic is at work.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bear Enthusiast posted:

If they had reported it other things would happen besides the authorities finding out, for example being fired. It's not as simple as tell the government and get your $20 back.

i think we should not engage in victim blaming here

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Nothing bad has ever happened from intentionally getting law enforcement involved in your life! Back the blue!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cops aren’t the ones going after wage claims lol

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

Cops aren’t the ones going after wage claims lol

Would you expect someone who doesn’t speak much English and may be undocumented to know that? I’m describing here the three+ individuals local community action groups had to picket for outside restaurants to recover stolen wages because no law enforcement entity in the state was interested in doing anything.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Fister Roboto posted:

Victim blaming in service of defending or dismissing the perpetrator of wrongdoing is obviously hosed, but all things not being black and white, it would be objectively better if mistreatment (of employees or women or both) was always reported and pushed back against.

quote:

"Harvey was breaking sexual assault laws the entire time, and got away with it only because neither you nor anyone else in the production house reported it"

Is that factually inaccurate? Wouldn't say it to a victim of abuse, but it reads like a true statement.

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

Well yeah, and I assume Hieronymous was aware of that as well. Everyone knows that unreported crimes don't get prosecuted. Why did that need to be pointed out? Like fizzy said, it reveals a lack of understanding for why those crimes go unreported - because of the power imbalance and fear of reprisal. The comparison to sexual assault may not be very charitable, but the exact same power dynamic is at work.

Yeah, it's all about the relationship to power. If a dude smacks some strangers rear end I'd love to see her smack his dumb face, but I understand the myriad reasons why somebody wouldn't take that action.

A world where everybody stood up to bullies and abusers without thought to their personal well being would be a world with far fewer assholes, but obviously systems and culture that foster and enable that abuse are the problem.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Kalli posted:

Wells Fargo paying $3.7 billion in fines and refunds for Wells Fargo things https://www.consumerfinance.gov/abo...posit-accounts/

at what point can they just dissolve wells fargo, it's like a criminal enterprise now

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

lobster shirt posted:

at what point can they just dissolve wells fargo, it's like a criminal enterprise now

Yeah no poo poo. Feels like RICO territory with multiple billion dollar fines in the last decade.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

BRJurgis posted:

Victim blaming in service of defending or dismissing the perpetrator of wrongdoing is obviously hosed, but all things not being black and white, it would be objectively better if mistreatment (of employees or women or both) was always reported and pushed back against.

Is that factually inaccurate? Wouldn't say it to a victim of abuse, but it reads like a true statement.

Yeah, it's all about the relationship to power. If a dude smacks some strangers rear end I'd love to see her smack his dumb face, but I understand the myriad reasons why somebody wouldn't take that action.

A world where everybody stood up to bullies and abusers without thought to their personal well being would be a world with far fewer assholes, but obviously systems and culture that foster and enable that abuse are the problem.

Hierarchical systems select for people who are willing to forgo their humanity and duties to other humans for.

The Catholic Church and Church or Mormon, the way Bill Clinton still gets feted, we refuse to destroy or even really seriously restrain institutions and individuals because as a society we worship power more than justice.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sub Par posted:

Yeah no poo poo. Feels like RICO territory with multiple billion dollar fines in the last decade.

With this, they're up somewhere over $14 billion in the last decade in penalties and fines for not following the remedies they agreed to. They absolutely should not exist anymore.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

If the goverment can figure out if joe minimum wage is cheating his taxes they should be able to figure out if companies are doing wage theft.

I don't necessarily mean they have the immediate means to, I mean in the sense of a just world, there should be regulations or something.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

If the goverment can figure out if joe minimum wage is cheating his taxes they should be able to figure out if companies are doing wage theft.

I don't necessarily mean they have the immediate means to, I mean in the sense of a just world, there should be regulations or something.

There are regulations galore. What there isn't is funding for the IRS to be able to do its job on the big boys thanks to a decades long propaganda campaign by the right wing to paint the IRS as evil moneygrabbers out to randomly audit you and ruin your life just for lulz and making increasing funding to the IRS a political nonstarter. Nobody is going to not vote for you for not increasing IRS funding so there's little political will to do so.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Oracle posted:

There are regulations galore. What there isn't is funding for the IRS to be able to do its job on the big boys thanks to a decades long propaganda campaign by the right wing to paint the IRS as evil moneygrabbers out to randomly audit you and ruin your life just for lulz and making increasing funding to the IRS a political nonstarter. Nobody is going to not vote for you for not increasing IRS funding so there's little political will to do so.

Why not just redirect the money internally to focus on larger offenders? Are they prevented from deciding how to spend their own budget?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oracle posted:

irs funding was significantly increased this year specifically to give them greater resources to go after rich tax cheats!

as you might guess it is now a republican party plank to try to undo that

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

This is just more victim blaming. Please stop.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bear Enthusiast posted:

In that specific instance, it was because none of us at the time had a drat clue that we even could, and the amounts were small enough that we never got mad enough to think about doing anything. In retrospect he was probably also violating the rule about posting those EEOC workplace notices. If those were even required in the nineties.

For what it's worth the dude also made me drive his car after I told him I couldn't drive stick, and I heard he had to rebuild his transmission a month or two later, so karma circled back as it were

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 20, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

fizzy posted:

I don't know what sort of circumstances would ever lead to me talking to the victims of Harvey Weinstein, but the fact that his misconduct went unreported to both authorities and the media for decades despite being an "open secret" in Hollywood is certainly an important thing that shouldn't be ignored when discussing his crimes!

And in fact, the systematic and social forces at work were something I was specifically alluding to in my post. Even putting aside questions of power relationships and potential retaliation, a lot of people don't even know that poo poo like paycheck-docking is illegal. And it wasn't clear from Hieronymous Alloy's post whether he knew that, either at the time or now.

Oxyclean posted:

There are regulations. But if the employer decides to lie on their paperwork, there aren't necessarily any easy and reliable methods of independently verifying their claims. The employer controls the timesheets, the schedule, and the payroll system, so if they tell you one thing and they tell the government a different thing, they can easily make sure all the documentation matches up with what they tell the government. That makes it difficult to identify any discrepancies without the involvement of the employees.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

selec posted:

Why not just redirect the money internally to focus on larger offenders? Are they prevented from deciding how to spend their own budget?

Because if you have to choose between laying off all the people who process run of the mill tax returns, or hiring one or two dudes to go after the big whales, you are likely going to choose to not lose more people than you already have. People who know all the tax loopholes, scams and various methods rich businesses and billionaires use for tax avoidance tend to make a lot of money.... finding loopholes, scams and various methods of tax avoidance for rich businesses and billionaires. They don't come cheap, and having to dig through the reams of paperwork, shell corporations, subpoenaing various international banks etc is also neither cheap nor quick.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

selec posted:

Going after the big offenders isn't cost productive because over a certain threshold they just spend the money on lawyers instead and you don't recoup it. There are several reasons most major corporations end up paying 0 in taxes every year. One of those reasons is law written to help them, another is good lawyers which they can afford.

Tax prosecution makes money the same way ordinary prosecutors make their numbers: large volumes of low level offenders.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oracle posted:

Because if you have to choose between laying off all the people who process run of the mill tax returns, or hiring one or two dudes to go after the big whales, you are likely going to choose to not lose more people than you already have. People who know all the tax loopholes, scams and various methods rich businesses and billionaires use for tax avoidance tend to make a lot of money.... finding loopholes, scams and various methods of tax avoidance for rich businesses and billionaires. They don't come cheap, and having to dig through the reams of paperwork, shell corporations, subpoenaing various international banks etc is also neither cheap nor quick.

the issue is going after the big whales requires way way way more than one or two dudes

those guys have teams of lawyers and you are litigating the economic reality of extraordinarily complex transactions (they are extraordinarily complex precisely to obscure economic reality), the IRS has tried going after rich tax cheats and its hard, takes years, and has a high chance of failure

(it is made harder by the rich tax cheats buying senators who then threaten the IRS's funding)

Going after the big offenders isn't cost productive because over a certain threshold they just spend the money on lawyers instead and you don't recoup it. There are several reasons most major corporations end up paying 0 in taxes every year. One of those reasons is law written to help them, another is good lawyers which they can afford.

Tax prosecution makes money the same way ordinary prosecutors make their numbers: large volumes of low level offenders.

it is cost-effective. it's just not cost-effective if you don't have the money and political will to see it through.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

it is cost-effective. it's just not cost-effective if you don't have the money and political will to see it through.

This seems like a true Scotsman esque argument to me. Given current political realities "sufficient money and political will" seems an ask on par with, say. . . At that point President Bernie is making communism real anyway already.

Like, are we reversing the Holder Doctrine here?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

evilweasel posted:

the issue is going after the big whales requires way way way more than one or two dudes
The point was they could only afford one or two dudes to go after the big at the expense of laying off all the rank and file ordinary guys at current budget levels.

Personally I think they should do like France and give the IRS a percentage of all tax money they bring in from the big whales to help fund going after more. But honestly we really need to just revamp our tax code top to bottom its a loving mess.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This seems like a true Scotsman esque argument to me. Given current political realities "sufficient money and political will" seems an ask on par with, say. . . At that point President Bernie is making communism real anyway already.

Like, are we reversing the Holder Doctrine here?

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/57444

this is the study that justified the increased budget and you will note (a) it increases audits of the rich; and (b) increases revenue

we have the political will to pass it because, again, we passed it this year, we just didn't before. the irs didn't have the money before.

Oracle posted:

The point was they could only afford one or two dudes to go after the big at the expense of laying off all the rank and file ordinary guys at current budget levels.

Personally I think they should do like France and give the IRS a percentage of all tax money they bring in from the big whales to help fund going after more. But honestly we really need to just revamp our tax code top to bottom its a loving mess.

irs agents cost, roughly, the same regardless of who you are going after, this is a bizzare argument. the irs can afford to go after many low-income individuals or a handful of high-net-worth individuals given the same budget and headcount. the issue isn't that agents that go after rich people cost 10x per head what agents going after poor people cost.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/57444

this is the study that justified the increased budget and you will note (a) it increases audits of the rich; and (b) increases revenue

we have the political will to pass it because, again, we passed it this year, we just didn't before. the irs didn't have the money before.

Ok, fair enough I guess. I may be succumbing to cynicism poisoning. It's hard for me to believe that increased IRS enforcement won't in turn lead to a political backlash that undoes these steps forwards -- our system does not seem resilient against such shocks. Gotta believe better things are possible I guess.