Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

It emulates them really well but makes my fan loud as gently caress, very upsetting

You wanna hear your fan scream load up Minecraft. Any version of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

njsykora posted:

I don’t know how many people go back to read the early pages of this thread but they are hilarious in hindsight with massive arguments over whether the Deck would emulate Switch games.

Steam Dreck

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It doesn’t emulate a lot of switch games though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Randalor posted:

What's the battery life like when it's emulating switch games?

In Mario Odyssey (easily the game I’ve had to do the most fiddling with to get it running well) about 3 hours. In lighter stuff like Mario Kart 8 closer to 4-5.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve had a pretty wide range of old and new switch stuff work, it’s hit and miss for sure though yeah

I have yet to find anything that runs better than it does on my actual switch like some people seem to rave about though

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

PantsBandit posted:

Anyone have success with running spotify in the background? I had to mute the music in River City Girls 2, some of it is truly heinous. Curious what the performance impact of spotify is on this thing.

Shouldn't be too taxing. I've had Discord run in the background, which works surprisingly well; the speakers and mic on this thing are pretty great. I was able to use it as a speakerphone for a gathering recently.

njsykora posted:

For what it's worth I use a Pro 2 when docked and it works perfectly. I also picked up FF13 on Steam since it was on sale (the voicessss...) and this I think is my first time trying to do heavy lifting to get the game running to my liking. Installing FF13-Fix, experimenting with fps caps (use 40, 30 is nasty and it can't hold 60) and manually setting a proton version (experimental has way less stutter).

I too have been messing with FF13/13-2 and yeah, FF13fix is mandatory. It works real nice. I used protontricks to run winecfg to add an override for d3d9, which I think is required to have it load ff13fix correctly? 13-2 can't always hold 40 still but that's just how it is. At least despite the poor performance and overall poor port it can run for 4-5 hours.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Annath posted:

Has anyone gotten Assassin's Creed Valhalla working through Heroic Launcher?

I installed it, but whenever I try to launch the game, nothing happens.

Like it just doesn't act like I clicked anything.

Quoting this because I still can't get it to work.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

njsykora posted:

I don’t know how many people go back to read the early pages of this thread but they are hilarious in hindsight with massive arguments over whether the Deck would emulate Switch games.

I’m pretty sure I threw shade at the Steam Deck early on in the thread. I’m glad to be wrong.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

parasyte posted:

I too have been messing with FF13/13-2 and yeah, FF13fix is mandatory. It works real nice. I used protontricks to run winecfg to add an override for d3d9, which I think is required to have it load ff13fix correctly? 13-2 can't always hold 40 still but that's just how it is. At least despite the poor performance and overall poor port it can run for 4-5 hours.

I don’t know if it’s mandatory for the fix in general, it held the 40fps cap without me doing that but I don’t know if any of the wider optimisations are working given it still stutters going into battle.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Anyone have success with running spotify in the background? I had to mute the music in River City Girls 2, some of it is truly heinous. Curious what the performance impact of spotify is on this thing.

Seems fine to me. There are decky plugins to add controls for media players to the … menu button so you don’t have to juggle poo poo in-game too.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
How do people find the steam dock? I've got it but I'd like to increase my screen resolution to better fit my TV. I noticed most games I play with still have the hardcoded steam deck resolution even when I set my TV res to something different in the settings.

Is this possible to do? And if so does the steam deck actually handle larger screen resolutions alright? I understand that a lot of what makes the Steam deck perform so well is because it's running games at such a small resolution normally.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

DarkAvenger211 posted:

How do people find the steam dock? I've got it but I'd like to increase my screen resolution to better fit my TV. I noticed most games I play with still have the hardcoded steam deck resolution even when I set my TV res to something different in the settings.

Is this possible to do? And if so does the steam deck actually handle larger screen resolutions alright? I understand that a lot of what makes the Steam deck perform so well is because it's running games at such a small resolution normally.

I got an Anker usb-c dock thing and 3d printed a stand that holds both for a lot less than the steam dock costs.

edit: I realize this doesn't help with your screen resolution complaint.

Duct Tape Engineer fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 20, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Games will auto switch from 16:10 to 16:9 ratio but if you want a higher resolution you’ll have to set it yourself manually. Though with a lot of the stuff I’m playing docked I’ve thought the system FSR has done a decent enough job upscaling.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

why can't you view commubity controller profiles without downloading them

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I find it very frustrating how many times I try to set the resolution of a thing to 1280x800 and I still get black bands above and below.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can’t imagine a control profile is gonna take up anything more than the tiniest amount of space possible so viewing it is probably exactly the same as downloading it and they just decided to cut out the middleman

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

jokes posted:

I find it very frustrating how many times I try to set the resolution of a thing to 1280x800 and I still get black bands above and below.

Fortunately there’s an update in preview that makes the performance monitor horizontal so it fills that space so you’ll have something to look at up there.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Antigravitas posted:

Hey Valve, I really like my Steam Controller. If you're reading this, I have a suggestion.
That's got a lot of joycon grip vibes.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I kind of wish there was a way for Luxtorpedia to work with non-Steam games*. Like, there isn't an up-to-date Linux-native build of dxx-rebirth around that I can find aside from Luxtorpedia's, which would be fine, except my copy of Descent is original from 1995 and I don't actually own it on Steam. So now I'm waiting for it go on sale so I can get it there to run under dxx-rebirth anyways.

* I mean, I'm sure there's a way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Why is the Witcher 3 doing a "shader update" that is the size of the entire drat game? is that an actual patch or some mega version of those shader micro patches steam deck does? 35 GB.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

probably cos of the new graphics update means there’s much more new shaders to precompile and now steam is pushing out these new optimised versions. That’d be my guess

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It isn't just a shader update, The Witcher 3 also replaced the entire drat game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah but I already downloaded the new version and was playing it before that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oops all shaders edition

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
There’s always tons of shader updates and I have no clue what they do lol

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m pretty sure I threw shade at the Steam Deck early on in the thread. I’m glad to be wrong.

I think people more overestimated the Switch than underestimated the Steam Deck. The Switch’s strength never came from the (pretty low) power of its hardware but the software output from first and second party developers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

There’s always tons of shader updates and I have no clue what they do lol

update uyour shaders

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I do but what do they do and why are there so many updates for them who are putting them out?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

so for graphics you have these things called shaders. these help the graphics card decide how to make pixels look, like if you wanted them to look wet for example.

if you are on a PC, the game needs to compile them (make them) on the user's end because every single PC will have different specs and hardware. this can take seconds, minutes, hrs depending on the users hardware. some pc games do it on the fly to save space and this is where you get shader compilation stutter.

but on console and now steam deck, because they are fixed hardware (except for storage size, everything is the same), the developers can ship games with the shaders already made. on deck, valve can constantly ship better more optimised versions of these precompiled shaders. this will make games run and look better.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

As for Steam Machines 2.0 I feel like Valve would have to subsidise them in some way at least, the biggest beef mini PC out there (Minisforum NUCx i7 with a 3070) is over $1000 and you’re gonna need at least something that can handle 1080p60 reliably for $500 I feel to really get that concept rolling again.

It sounds like you're expecting better performance than the Dreck, but just as a starting point (for a SteamOS console-style PC,) you could take the hardware in the Dreck itself, which goes for as low as $400, subtract the battery and display, and build it into a little console thing (so maybe different I/O, a dedicated video output and a few more USB ports) and probably end up with something you could sell for even less than the entry level Dreck and still at worst break even.

But then, not being constrained by a 15 W APU and battery life considerations, you could use a more recent APU (e.g. 6800U or the next gen) and get a device with acceptable performance for nowhere near $1k. And I'd jump on a barebones console to save even more money, with at least BYO storage if not RAM, as well as no included controller. Of course you could do this right now, installing the current SteamOS on some random mini desktop, but the newest AMD APUs in particular (plus, to I guess a lesser extent the Intel Xe GPUs) are what are facilitating this type of cheap, console gaming PC.

Why are those games not running at 12 FPS?!?!?!?!! Immersion ruined!!!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

so for graphics you have these things called shaders. these help the graphics card decide how to make pixels look, like if you wanted them to look wet for example.

if you are on a PC, the game needs to compile them (make them) on the user's end because every single PC will have different specs and hardware. this can take seconds, minutes, hrs depending on the users hardware. some pc games do it on the fly to save space and this is where you get shader compilation stutter.

but on console and now steam deck, because they are fixed hardware (except for storage size, everything is the same), the developers can ship games with the shaders already made. on deck, valve can constantly ship better more optimised versions of these precompiled shaders. this will make games run and look better.

Gettin’ my pixels wet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I brought this up before but I'm asking again.... Since this is how it works with the Deck, shouldn't the "best shader config for Game X" eventually be settled on, and we won't need to continually download different ones? I run deck cleaner once in a while, usually after the shader stuff gets over 10-15gb, and I wanna say that I'm therefore cleaning that up less often because fewer shader updates are downloaded but maybe that's not the case.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No because other stuff can impact them in future like updates to steamOS or proton or the game itself, so unless everything gets frozen and no further changes are ever made there’s always going to be updated shaders to cache.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

History Comes Inside! posted:

No because other stuff can impact them in future like updates to steamOS or proton or the game itself, so unless everything gets frozen and no further changes are ever made there’s always going to be updated shaders to cache.
it's this. most games these days update fairly often, drivers tend to get updated regularly, and proton/dxvk is still a very fast moving target and is going to be for a while longer

also, unlike in windows where you can just run a game on directx, DXVK needs to get even the most basic poo poo compiled as shaders that "emulate" dx on vulkan. the upside is you don't have to use proprietary software, the downside is having to download shaders

OTOH, steam's fossilize scheme single-handedly fixed compilation stutter in most unreal engine games that have been plagued by it on pc, but it only works on linux/deck lmao

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

They should have an option to download shaders only when I click 'play'. Maybe on a per-game basis.

I installed some old Rockstar games and I swear Bully updates almost every boot. I will play you some day Bully but knock it off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Atomizer posted:

It sounds like you're expecting better performance than the Dreck, but just as a starting point (for a SteamOS console-style PC,) you could take the hardware in the Dreck itself, which goes for as low as $400, subtract the battery and display, and build it into a little console thing (so maybe different I/O, a dedicated video output and a few more USB ports) and probably end up with something you could sell for even less than the entry level Dreck and still at worst break even.

But then, not being constrained by a 15 W APU and battery life considerations, you could use a more recent APU (e.g. 6800U or the next gen) and get a device with acceptable performance for nowhere near $1k. And I'd jump on a barebones console to save even more money, with at least BYO storage if not RAM, as well as no included controller. Of course you could do this right now, installing the current SteamOS on some random mini desktop, but the newest AMD APUs in particular (plus, to I guess a lesser extent the Intel Xe GPUs) are what are facilitating this type of cheap, console gaming PC.

Why are those games not running at 12 FPS?!?!?!?!! Immersion ruined!!!

Look at this guy who didn't get the framerate for Perfect Dark into the 1s by chucking n-bombs everywhere

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

RBA Starblade posted:

by chucking n-bombs everywhere

whoa buddy times have changed, read a newspaper

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Chucking n-bombs everywhere is how I saw a lot of people playing PD multiplayer.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

njsykora posted:

If they just took the Deck controls and slapped them into a controller shell with no changes I’d still be happy tbh.

As for Steam Machines 2.0 I feel like Valve would have to subsidise them in some way at least, the biggest beef mini PC out there (Minisforum NUCx i7 with a 3070) is over $1000 and you’re gonna need at least something that can handle 1080p60 reliably for $500 I feel to really get that concept rolling again.

You definitely don't need a 3070 to handle 1080p60. Next year's Phoenix Point APUs are going to be around that level of performance. Remember that any Steam Machine APU isn't going to be handicapped by the Steam Deck's power/thermal limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anyone else getting the problem in Horizon Zero Dawn where the right joystick just stops working until you reload the save?

Very inconvenient in a game that doesn't let you save arbitrarily.