Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

I'm going to wager that the Giants insisted on a ridiculously thorough physical and accompanying battery of screenings and tests considering they're making a 13 year commitment, and when you throw that much at somebody something is going to turn up. Like yeah idk maybe they found out he has some horrible degenerative condition that derails the whole signing but more likely they found a bunch of little things and are now trying to see if they can get Correa's camp to come down on the ask a bit.

This seems like a deeply stupid strategy to employ on your new face of the franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

people gotta stop getting hung up on the 13 years part, it's a tactic to reduce risk for the ownership side

he's worth like $350M over 8-10 years but they made it 13 to reduce the luxury tax hit and to spread out the payments

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I mean demanding a thorough physical before signing and making anything you find part of the negotiation is fair game. But doing it publicly and cancelling a press conference to make a big show would be some dirty pool negotiating with the guy you're giving all the money and years. That would be a weird choice.

Yankees tried a little bit of that "negotiation through the media" stuff back in April with Judge and it pissed him off and he fed it back to them in spades this winter. I don't think doing that times 10 is how you want to start a relationship.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

fast cars loose anus posted:

This seems like a deeply stupid strategy to employ on your new face of the franchise

Owners are loving stupid. Like actually delaying Correa's conference publicly like this really only makes sense if they found something hugely wrong with him that would require a large restructuring of the deal. But I can't imagine they found anything like that since Correa seems perfectly fine, so it's presumably just last minute negotiation over minor things? Again idk maybe I'm wrong but it definitely feels like a sloppy negotiating tactic.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Correa, angry at how he's been done by the rest of the league, returns to his home and signs with the Astros. Where do they play him? Who cares, they'll figure it out

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dunno. Correa hiding or ignoring something serious seems at least as likely as the Giants just being comically stupid.

Its also possible they found something health related that has nothing to do with baseball. Which I certainly hope is not the case.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah I mean demanding a thorough physical before signing and making anything you find part of the negotiation is fair game. But doing it publicly and cancelling a press conference to make a big show would be some dirty pool negotiating with the guy you're giving all the money and years. That would be a weird choice.

Yankees tried a little bit of that "negotiation through the media" stuff back in April with Judge and it pissed him off and he fed it back to them in spades this winter. I don't think doing that times 10 is how you want to start a relationship.

Right I don't think anyone would be upset about the idea of yes a physical could cancel this contract as that is 100% normal and reasonable on both sides' account (after all if you find a heart condition that keeps him from playing, for example, the player would, presumably, be happy to know that before he died on the field)

It's the idea that well we found something minor and we're gonna dick with the money now. The Astros did this with Brady Aiken and got absolutely slaughtered for it, and even though they were right about the underlying medical issue, they deserved to be.

Sydin posted:

Owners are loving stupid.

Well yeah it's always some of this

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

Correa, angry at how he's been done by the rest of the league, returns to his home and signs with the Astros. Where do they play him? Who cares, they'll figure it out

He'd do fine in any outfield spot I feel.

In this weird fever dream scenario, that is.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

STAC Goat posted:

Its also possible they found something health related that has nothing to do with baseball. Which I certainly hope is not the case.

Yeah, this is my concern too :(

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

bawfuls posted:

that was Gurriel

Lmao

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

gonna be honest I forgot Ottavino existed, much less had a very good year for the Mets

e: all the buzzer jokes and yet if Correa had replaced a vertebrae with a buzzer and no one knew there's no way the giants would care about finding it :colbert:

They knew about the buzzer, the issue is it's broken.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I can't decide which option is funnier:

Giants back out cause of whatever medical thing they find and

A) He goes to the Mets and is perfectly fine through however long he ends up playing out of that contract

or

B) It pops up at the worst time and becomes a huge problem and he basically sucks now

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Nodoze posted:

A) He goes to the Mets and is perfectly fine through however long he ends up playing out of that contract

or

B) It pops up at the worst time and becomes a huge problem and he basically sucks now

It's definitely B but A would be cool.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

or

The Mets are well known as an organization that is great at keeping their players healthy.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

It's gonna turn out that Correa has a brain tumor or actually something serious

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm specifically avoiding any "lol Correa gonna suck forever now" jokes because the simplest answer of what a physical could find unexpectedly that would cause a sudden pause really is something terrible. So fingers crossed its just something funny.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I do hope there is nothing actually wrong with Carlos Correa and this is just a minor snag.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i hope carlos correa is healthy and has a long, productive career in the mlb

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

We all love Correa. I hope after all this the Giants give him even more money due to the mental stress caused by having to do a physical.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I hope he is simply bad at baseball forever

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
BREAKING NEWS: San Francisco Giants' R&D team unveils their new "soul detector" technology that returned a null result for Correa, voiding his contract under new CBA restrictions. Bob Nightengale first to report.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Correa breaks his arm and the tendons heal a little tight, now he has to adjust to his new much more powerful swing so he doesn't kill anyone

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1605304783795290112

Seems obvious this is something that popped up last minute if they had to announce and then delay the press conference introducing Correa within 24 hours of each other.

Some are speculating there's some delay due to it being Christmas weekend and the complete physical not getting done in time to make the contract official.

Giants aren't overly obsessive in their physicals like the Orioles (I think?) used to be.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Does Carlos Correa have a cool nickname?

Preferably something that can be worn on a hat, like the Panda hats, Giraffe hats, Melk Men uniforms etc. Giants fans love that stuff.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

The Pussy Boss posted:

Does Carlos Correa have a cool nickname?

Preferably something that can be worn on a hat, like the Panda hats, Giraffe hats, Melk Men uniforms etc. Giants fans love that stuff.

what if it was a big ol rubbermaid trash can hat

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They call him the Bumble Bee

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Cool Carlos Correa, the only MLB player of note with the "Cool" nickname

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hope Correa is healthy but also never plays good baseball again and plays out his career in obscurity and I forget he exists.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I don't really care whether Correa plays well or not, it's enough to know that neither he or any of the 2017 trashtros hitters will ever make the Hall even if they go on to have 100 WAR careers.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

carlos correa is in my heart

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

I don't really care whether Correa plays well or not, it's enough to know that neither he or any of the 2017 trashtros hitters will ever make the Hall even if they go on to have 100 WAR careers.
do we know this? I'm not sure we know this.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
we'll have a good idea with beltran on the ballot now. verlander is obviously a lock (he wasnt a hitter though as pointed out)

i think altuve might need 3,000, cans or no cans

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Beltran isn't a hall of famer anyway

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anything short of him having a terminal illness i'd enjoy. Karma is a bitch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Anything short of him having a terminal illness i'd enjoy. Karma is a bitch.

this dude is angry

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

MrMidnight posted:

Beltran isn't a hall of famer anyway
Very clearly is

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I hope he is ok and has a nice Christmas :unsmith:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

RIP Drury's career. He signed with the Angels

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm going to WFH tomorrow morning so I can watch the Judge presser, but I have a meeting at the same time and I'm worried I'm going to become like, visibly emotional at some point.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I also doubt that Correa is going to come off the price much. He'll just sign with the Mets or the Twins instead.

AJ Preller's eyes begin glowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

You're right. I forget McGriff was just let in.