Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Youremother posted:

Go do a Fascist Harry run, the fascism quest is unironically one of the best in the game

....urge to do a fascist playthrough is rising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I could never do a fascist playthrough because I don't want to make Kim mad at me :(

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Youremother posted:

That guy was a hero :colbert:
He did not shoot her because he wanted to stop war crimes or to save people, but because her body was literally and figuratively too hot. And as a result of this murder, the fate of the world fell into the hands of mere men whose vision started and ended with mineral extraction rights. Moralintern is a ship that was meant to be helmed by a living goddess, not by a committee. No wonder it has drifted so far off course.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If she was so capable she would've made herself bulletproof. System is working as intended.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

If she did, that jerk would have used a necktie cocktail or something. Hate finds a way.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Maybe Dolores should have predicted the bulletproof vest if she didn't want to get merked so hard. And here we see the living proof:

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Moralintern is a ship that was meant to be helmed by a living goddess, not by a committee. No wonder it has drifted so far off course.

that when you scratch a Moralist, a Fascist bleeds!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Youremother posted:

Maybe Dolores should have predicted the bulletproof vest if she didn't want to get merked so hard.
Women who are wearing something other than a full T-500 Fairweather suit are not, in fact, asking to be shot.

quote:

when you scratch a Moralist
I am not a Moralist. I am a Dolorean.

Moralism is as much of a failure as Communism. They had hope for a moment, and then some bigot with a hunting gun took that hope away. All of the money and artillery and prize stability and CONTROL can't bring that hope back.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 20, 2022

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

"Once we get to the End of History, you're going to see some serious poo poo"

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Username checks out

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Women who are wearing something other than a full T-500 Fairweather suit are not, in fact, asking to be shot.

Moralism is as much of a failure as Communism. They had hope for a moment, and then some bigot with a hunting gun took that hope away. All of the money and artillery and prize stability and CONTROL can't bring that hope back.

What if the full realization of her project would have been even worse?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

He did not shoot her because he wanted to stop war crimes or to save people, but because her body was literally and figuratively too hot. And as a result of this murder, the fate of the world fell into the hands of mere men whose vision started and ended with mineral extraction rights. Moralintern is a ship that was meant to be helmed by a living goddess, not by a committee. No wonder it has drifted so far off course.

Username checks out strongly lol

I mean, the metacommentary from the game is that she was acting just like a 4X player after all, having access to the tech tree and being a living skip requirements cheat code. It is absolutely appropriate that she got owned by her own praetorians because she couldn’t bother figuring out people, which is amazingly in the spirit of her ideology.

Sola is the best Innocence and it’s a pity the game talks so little about her. Just realizing her condition and going “you know what I am going to be sitting here and not do a thing” to not force history is pretty interesting, especially since in a rough equivalence of timeframes and historical contexts, that would make her the Innocence of Postmodernism.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The whole point of moralism is that there is no hope for a better future, the incremental progress is a lie to justify stasis.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Just connected another "pale as climate change" thought -- with Dei doing the whole magpie thing of bringing future information to the present and how that all ties in with the expansion of the Pale -- they're literally stealing the future so that the present can profit.

Neat.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Hope? What hope did she bring to the Mesque? Were the brutal resettlements and reeducation campaigns representative of humanity's hope?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Just connected another "pale as climate change" thought -- with Dei doing the whole magpie thing of bringing future information to the present and how that all ties in with the expansion of the Pale -- they're literally stealing the future so that the present can profit.

Neat.

Yup! The political economy in environmental terms is almost the same in terms of consequences. Dolores catapulted humankind forward and possibly triggered runoff Pale expansion as a consequence lmao

A good question that is very neat to ponder is whether those Innocences were aware that stealing poo poo from possible futures necessarily cause a Pale cost. Sola not doing anything might be just because she was the only one to figure that out.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Username checks out
Esprit Dei Corps is my signature skill.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The whole point of moralism is that there is no hope for a better future, the incremental progress is a lie to justify stasis.
Yes, I agree, hence the past tense. The thread of history was severed with Dolores Dei's death, and now humans have to persist in a doomed world bereft of her glory and love.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Isn't Sola just The End of History?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Esprit Dei Corps is my signature skill.

Yes, I agree, hence the past tense. The thread of history was severed with Dolores Dei's death, and now humans have to persist in a doomed world bereft of her glory and love.

Which is why I buy into Dolores Dei as Harry's ex-wife, symbol or otherwise.

Persisting in a doomed timeline bereft of her magnificence due to being a sorry cop is... something I can sympathize with :smith:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

Isn't Sola just The End of History?

The end of history would be the death of the failed communards, so whoever ruled over that.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Youremother posted:

Go do a Fascist Harry run, the fascism quest is unironically one of the best in the game

Please don't turn me into a fascist. The communist quest was so heart touching and the moralist quest was awesome world building... what does fascism have to offer that makes it worth the cost?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's really funny imo

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

cgeq posted:

... what does fascism have to offer that makes it worth the cost?

The last person in the game you would expect to having a frank, sincere, one-on-one conversation with Harry about the one thing that's ACTUALLY bothering him.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Woe-man

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
Does the magpie stuff ever get mentioned in the game? I don't recall it ever being brought up or hinted at.

christmas boots posted:

What if the full realization of her project would have been even worse?

What's interesting is this is the same fear that motivated the Moralintern to launch Operation Death Blow. What if success is more dangerous than failure?

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Sola is the best Innocence and it’s a pity the game talks so little about her. Just realizing her condition and going “you know what I am going to be sitting here and not do a thing” to not force history is pretty interesting, especially since in a rough equivalence of timeframes and historical contexts, that would make her the Innocence of Postmodernism.

Honestly, Sola reads more like a moralist to me. When confronted with the ability and opportunity to radically reshape society, shrugging and not wanting to rock the boat is precisely what the Moralintern would recommend.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The Magpie stuff is only from extra-canonical concept art. You can see the ideas for it in the game if you look carefully and read between the lines, but it's not actually in there.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The communist quest was pretty soft for a game with such pent-up revolutionary energy. I guess it’s appropriate that most of it takes place in a book club but that it centers on two random dudes paradropped into the game for the quest feels like a missed opportunity for the existing characters.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Youremother posted:

The Magpie stuff is only from extra-canonical concept art. You can see the ideas for it in the game if you look carefully and read between the lines, but it's not actually in there.

It's also from the book!

(different contextualization to consider, of course)

Sierra Madre posted:

Honestly, Sola reads more like a moralist to me. When confronted with the ability and opportunity to radically reshape society, shrugging and not wanting to rock the boat is precisely what the Moralintern would recommend.

I do also agree with this read which, for example, goes along with what Sartre and others levied against Foucault and his crew about postmodernism. Even though there is some merit in its foundation, to be a rejection of all grand narratives in an equally grandiose form somehow manages to become especially convenient against the revolutionary ideal. There's an approximation there that can be made with Moralism from Elysium, in the sense that the postmodern attitude which was first intellectual did become a generalized affect in neoliberalism. It's a good call!

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 21, 2022

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Vegetable posted:

The communist quest was pretty soft for a game with such pent-up revolutionary energy. I guess it’s appropriate that most of it takes place in a book club but that it centers on two random dudes paradropped into the game for the quest feels like a missed opportunity for the existing characters.

I felt this as well. It was underwhelming.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

cgeq posted:

Please don't turn me into a fascist. The communist quest was so heart touching and the moralist quest was awesome world building... what does fascism have to offer that makes it worth the cost?

The fascism quest reflects the game's fascism: The only ideology that explains why women won't date you and your life is a mess. In the fascism vision quest, you talk to some of the worst characters in the game (who aren't space marines) and learn what makes them human, their inner core, their beautiful secrets, and why they've shut their hearts off from the world.

Also you might get Fascist Secret Magic, which is fun!

If you don't want to be racist, you can just be sexist and nationalist instead. You only need four Fascist Points to unlock it, after all.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So here's a question: Is the amnesia and ego death Harry suffers in the game permanent, or will he eventually revert back to the same rear end in a top hat he's always been?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

McCloud posted:

So here's a question: Is the amnesia and ego death Harry suffers in the game permanent, or will he eventually revert back to the same rear end in a top hat he's always been?

They discuss toward the end that this kind of thing has apparently happened at least twice before if I remember correctly. Presumably, this time would be the one that sticks and that he won't gently caress himself this bad enough for a fourth since either Jean and co. trust him enough to let him back on the force or Jean tells him to get his poo poo together and call him back in a few months' time if he can do it, which would imply that Jean has enough faith that Harry has a chance to not let this kind of thing happen to him again.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A Bystander posted:

They discuss toward the end that this kind of thing has apparently happened at least twice before if I remember correctly. Presumably, this time would be the one that sticks and that he won't gently caress himself this bad enough for a fourth since either Jean and co. trust him enough to let him back on the force or Jean tells him to get his poo poo together and call him back in a few months' time if he can do it, which would imply that Jean has enough faith that Harry has a chance to not let this kind of thing happen to him again.

Yeah I think one of the saddest bits of the game is when when in the last dream Harry's wife hints strongly that you've done this before and it works for a few days before the dreams about his wife start again and they are what drags him back into the pit. I would have liked some kind of more direct hint that this time Harry is going to get his poo poo together.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
My understanding of it was that the hosed-up dreams about the ex-wife and the drinking-induced memory loss are just two different things that can happen to Harry, and the former just happens so much more for him than the latter.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I mean I think the way around that is for Harry to ignore all remembrances of Dora. He sleeps a peaceful sleep and truly moves on.

persopolis
Mar 9, 2017

Youremother posted:

[*]The only other character to have a halo like that is actually Jean, but his is a black square instead of a white circle! Harry broke his heart too many times :(
[/list]

IIRC, someone in this very thread mentioned a long while ago that the black square is actually how the halo used to be represented in old Orthodox christian iconography.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zeniel posted:

I mean I think the way around that is for Harry to ignore all remembrances of Dora. He sleeps a peaceful sleep and truly moves on.

He has one night of peaceful sleep. I don't think you can say he actually moves on, and avoiding reminders of Dora forever is basically impossible when "reminders of Dora" includes the wrong brand of gum or iconography of the most prominent religion in the world.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

persopolis posted:

IIRC, someone in this very thread mentioned a long while ago that the black square is actually how the halo used to be represented in old Orthodox christian iconography.

Orthodox Christians struggling with alpha channels

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

persopolis posted:

quote:

Square halos were often used to represent living donors who made possible the execution of a given work of art (namely, a mosaic or a church). Most of the characters we find surrounded by square halos are, in fact, popes and abbots, who commissioned the construction of a church, a public building, or some other work related to liturgical art. These square halos, then, are but an indication of a contemporary figure (with no implication of sanctity attached to them necessarily), to distinguish them from saints who might be accompanying them in the image. In fact, the square shape was understood in Christian art as representing the earth (with its four directions) and earthly existence, as opposed to the circle, understood to be a symbol of infinite existence and, hence, of eternal life.

https://aleteia.org/2019/10/27/there-was-a-time-in-which-square-halos-were-a-thing-in-christian-art/

There's a LOT of art training in the backgrounds of the DE devs, so I'm assuming they'd be aware of this, but that doesn't mean they were necessarily meaning to use the square halo in this fashion. I think the implication is that Jean is your partner but ultimately a lesser man than Kim.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kim is a very different kind of moralist than the others, and his portrait reflects that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

He has one night of peaceful sleep. I don't think you can say he actually moves on, and avoiding reminders of Dora forever is basically impossible when "reminders of Dora" includes the wrong brand of gum or iconography of the most prominent religion in the world.

Exactly. It is obviously not a narrative accident that Harry cannot find peace because he is tormented by the lost promise that the past once held.