Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

The comments on this are something else. This person can get yeeted into an acid vat the size of the sun

AITA for telling my boyfriend he needs to move?

Nah, she's right about that. There's dating a divorced person with kids, and then there's moving into a family household where he's still married in every sense but the legal one and she's just a side piece, one that's very, very off to the side. (Bonus: personal experience tells me that these people never actually do the divorce paperwork)

They should just break up, and I don't wish the fellow well with finding another lady who's ok with being nothing more than a houseguest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Advent calendar last has a TEAM of people in on this?? Bananas

AITA for refusing to give a child a present?

quote:

Curious if I was in the wrong and overly judgemental.

J (35), a new friend, has two children. K (8) and T(14 ).

I went around for K's 8th birthday. I brought K a gift.

J asked where T's gifts was. I said that I didn't bring them one as it's K's birthday not T's.

They said that the kids always both get gifts on each others birthdays to make sure they don't feel left out.

J asked if I have cash on me, I didn't. J said that it's ok I can quickly go get money and return before T realises.

When I said that was ridiculous they said told me to leave and take K's gift as they don't want a selfish rear end in a top hat like me around their kids.

Personally don't think both kids should get presents on the others birthday, but maybe I'm wrong

Barudak
May 7, 2007

big dyke energy posted:

Wait, she's just sending the videos to the advent calendar company?? Not like, a youtube video? She's a psychopath he needs to sever.

She is absolutely deranged in a way no one was prepared for

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Nugget detected in sector 4.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have to imagine the insane advent calendar reviews are safely lost in the spam filter.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
AITA for not counting raisins

quote:

Ok so I make my (30f) husband’s (30m) breakfast and lunch every night so he can bring it to work the next day. He goes to the gym a lot, and is trying to be more health conscious. We have always had an issue with me making his breakfast. He literally only eats plain oats with raisins..sometimes I’ll spice it up with some cinnamon so it’s not dog food.

He always has a complaint. There’s either not enough water, sometimes too much oats, and LATELY he wants me to count out exactly 12 raisins because that’s the serving suggestion. I’m pregnant, I work on my feet, and honestly not in the mood to count out 12 loving raisins every night. I think it’s asking a little much, and it’s not like he’ll make his own breakfast. He counted the amount this morning and texted me freaking out that there were 18 raisins in his stupid oatmeal.

AITA for not counting raisins?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Imagine being the employee receiving the yearly multiple video advent calendar reviews

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Barudak posted:

Im really struggling how these people are divorced when they have a joint home they live in, have full shared custody of the kids, and have hospital visitation rights.

Is this like when white people moved out of the cities to the suburbs but for marriage and the straights?

My cousin did something similar. He even has a real estate business with his ex wife that they started after they divorced. While they keep separate accounts they are also pretty enmeshed financially. My dad says they are “divorced to each other.”

My cousin says the reason is that it means he gets to see his kids everyday. I Guess they also have an agreement not to bring dates or SOs home, so he also likes the idea there won’t be random dudes in and out that could harm his children. (Spoiler for DV situation) This is probably a good idea for him because one of his ex wife’s complaints about him to my wife when they would drink together is that when she would get pissed off and hit him he would never hit her back, and that was both infuriating and a huge turnoff for her.He sees it as something he is doing for 12 years until the younger kid is 18 and then they will sell the house and he can be free. Since he doesn’t want any more kids anyways.

I don’t know if I would do the same or not. I generally think if you get divorced you should move on, but at the same time my wife is not nearly as much of a train wreck as his ex and I would not be worried about her bringing creeps around if we split up. A duplex seems like the way to go if you want to see your kids every day. My cousin lives in a converted grill hut in the back yard of the home he’s paying half the mortgage for.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Kitfox88 posted:

Any raisin he couldn't just leave the extras?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can’t deviate from his seafood diet

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

therobit posted:

My cousin lives in a converted grill hut in the back yard of the home he’s paying half the mortgage for.

cool, cool

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Serephina posted:

Nah, she's right about that. There's dating a divorced person with kids, and then there's moving into a family household where he's still married in every sense but the legal one and she's just a side piece, one that's very, very off to the side. (Bonus: personal experience tells me that these people never actually do the divorce paperwork)

They should just break up, and I don't wish the fellow well with finding another lady who's ok with being nothing more than a houseguest.

Yeh this guy is basically still married. This is tough bc yes it's all about making things easier on the kids, but if he's still keeping the family unit he had with his ex there's literally no space for anything new, so new gf might as well not exist. Unless she's ok with just joining the fold and becoming a sisterwife/babysitter.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Vim Fuego posted:

Any raisin he couldn't just leave the extras?

That would require him to count the raisins himself. Can't have that.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeh this guy is basically still married. This is tough bc yes it's all about making things easier on the kids, but if he's still keeping the family unit he had with his ex there's literally no space for anything new, so new gf might as well not exist. Unless she's ok with just joining the fold and becoming a sisterwife/babysitter.

I guess I think it’s good and normal that he should place the well-being of his children over dating. If it’s stable and working for the family, maybe it’s OK.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's absolutely good he is prioritizing them, and honestly it's best for the kids, it's just also reasonable for her not to want to be part of that. It's two people who seem to have wildly different ideas of what their future should look like together, hitting an impasse.

I mean she's a jerk, but even for the nicest person, the only space there is to become an additional partner.

Edit: we just had a bunch people posting about how they have relationships with people who they cohabitate with in different bedrooms or even have their own different houses nearby, so at what point is him sharing a home with his ex become just not having left her? Because he scooted out of the bedroom and they don't bang anymore, then they're not together?

C'mon. He's in a nonsexual relationship with his ex. They share space, talk daily, raise children, and run a household together. I wouldn't be surprised if their money is still all mingled together. You essentially have to find someone ok with polyamory to make this work with more people. Obviously, tho, OP shouldn't have assumed that he will abandon his current family to just go off and make their own family, that's gross as gently caress.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 21, 2022

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Kitfox88 posted:

if it was me, motherfucker would be getting exactly 13 or 11 raisins every time

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

if it was me, motherfucker would be getting exactly 13 or 11 raisins every time

The only reasonable thing to do is cut a raisin in half to give him 11.5 raisins.

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.
AITA for mocking a homophobic guy at work, and maybe taking it too far?

quote:

I work in a male dominated workplace, and I'm a lesbian. I'm a pretty fuckin obvious lesbian too, like not to be a stereotype but I work a trade job, have buzzed hair, lift, fish and camp, and like working on cars. My nails are short as hell and I wear my keys and multitools on a belt carabiner. And I'm out at work, like it's no secret.

Now, in a normal workplace I'm sure the advice here would be to go to HR about the kinda poo poo I'm about to describe. But I'm just getting this out of the way first, my job's got no HR, and if you think management is gonna do anything about sexism and homophobia? They're the ones doing the worst of it.

I've had more luck asking the guys on my level to go tell the management to cut their bigoted poo poo out than vice versa honestly.

Im so lucky to have a great team that treats me like one of the crew and has my back. Like these guys will talk poo poo if I do some dumb poo poo, but they'll never talk poo poo about my sexuality or me being a girl.

It's not the same across the whole job tho, there are some people who are genuinely just really bigoted. I'll call the guy I'm talking about here Robert because that's his name.

Yesterday, Robert said that he heard around the shop that I was a (slur for gay person) in front of my coworkers.

I decided to have a bit of a laugh at him, and went "Did you just call me a (slur)... What the hell man? I'm straight.. Who the gently caress told you I'm an (even worse slur)"

A lot of my coworkers were holding back a laugh because they all know I'm 100% gay, and doing a bit.

He started getting evasive and didn't tell me anyone's name, so I just started going "I'm a Christian! I have a wonderful husband! And it's real hosed up you're making poo poo up"

He started to backtrack, saying all he asked was if I was a lesbian (Which wasn't even true)

I was like "For real man, who even told you I'm ... That?'

And he said Will, another guy who I know is kinda a bigoted old dick.

So then I go "Oh, for fucks sake, of COURSE it was Will... You can't even get caught loving ONE guy's mom... (Pauses to count on fingers) ... OK, A guy's mom... Without getting called a loving lesbian nowadays."

At that point most of my coworkers cracked up, and Robert was catching on that it was an elaborate setup for a "your mom" joke and he got angry asking if I was mocking him.

I was like "Fuckin took you long enough! Like seriously, you should of noticed I was fruity years ago, when I kept coming over your mom's house at night."

He stormed off cussing me out and I felt kinda like I had a good laugh but also kinda like I went a little too far. I also don't feel great about making kinda misogynist jokes. It's something that definitely gets me respect at work, if I can poo poo talk back instead of being a pushover, and if I end up being cruder than anyone else, but it also felt a little icky?

AITA for making fun of a homophobic guy at work?

Edited for grammar

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm just surprised to find that people actually do this poo poo. I always thought it was just a dumb sitcom trope.

A lot of people do things precisely because they're dumb sitcom tropes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of people do things precisely because they're dumb sitcom tropes.

Its almost like sitcoms and romcoms have given people some really drat dumb ideas about what is acceptable behavior in relationships :thunk:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
*stands outside ur house with a boombox*

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mx. posted:

Advent calendar last has a TEAM of people in on this?? Bananas

AITA for refusing to give a child a present?

Take 10 years from the older kids age, and this is maybe OK. If the mum had told OP about it beforehand.

But expecting OP to nip out and buy a completely new gift for a teenager so they don't get jealous of their younger sibling on their birthday is insane.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

atomicdream posted:

AITA for mocking a homophobic guy at work, and maybe taking it too far?

I mean, this is a cool story and all that but there's barely even a question here.

I say that as someone who is avoiding working a regular job like the plague because of poo poo like this.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

lady just wanted to talk about sending a homophobe to the burn ward online

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

lady just wanted to talk about sending a homophobe to the burn ward online

And Im here for it

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

From r/legaladvice:

Assaulted At McDonald’s By A Manager

quote:

I was assaulted by a McDonalds manager the other night while in the drive through. They got mine and my friends order wrong several times. The worker said his manager was in a bad mood and wasn't allowing them to remake the quarter pounder with cheese no mustard for us. We asked to speak with the manager and the employee said we wouldn't want to because he's in a bad mood. We asked to speak with him and he came out super aggressively and yelling at us demanding the burger back. I put the burger on the windowsill of the McDonald's in front of the manager and he picked it up and tossed it at my feet in my car and told me to hand it back to him with respect. I then tossed it into the McDonald's behind him. He proceeded to pick it up, open the box, grab the burger and wind up baseball style and throw it at me. He threw a burger right at me in my car through the window. He then proceeded to tell me to go to hell and a few other things. I started video taping it and I’ve tried reaching out to McDonald’s through the app and in twitter but no luck so far. Any ideas on what I can do about this and how to follow up?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Through Twitter? Just link the footage, dawg.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA for smoking in the bathroom during a parent-teacher conference?

quote:

I recently had the most embarrassing experience of my life and I'm not sure if I'm the rear end in a top hat here or not. Let me give the rundown.

I was at my youngest son's parent teacher conference, and my wife and I made sure to show up on time and be respectful to all the faculty. We ended up having to wait for over 30 minutes before meeting with the teacher, which was longer than I anticipated. At a certain point I started craving a cigarette, and I knew I couldn't smoke in a classroom or hallway. It was extremely cold and also I thought I might be told to put the cigarette out of I smoked outside, So, I figured I would just slip into the bathroom and quickly smoke one.

Well, it turns out that the bathroom smoke detector was really sensitive and it set off the fire alarm. The whole school was evacuated and the fire department showed up.

When I was caught, I was mortified. When the principal asked me what happened, I tried to play it off like it was no big deal and said something along the lines of, "Oh, I just needed a quick smoke break."

Well, that did not go over well. The principal's face turned bright red and she started yelling at me, saying things like "Do you have any idea how much time and resources this wasted?"

I could feel my face getting hot and I knew I was turning bright red too. My wife was crying behind me and I could hear other some parents whispering to each other.

To make matters even more embarrassing, the fire department showed up and I had to explain to them what happened. They didn't seem too pleased either and gave me an incredibly condescending lecture about the dangers of smoking in public places.

My wife was extremely embarrassed and wanted me to apologize to the principal and the teachers, but I didn't feel like sticking around for any conversations. But the damage was already done and I'm not sure if I can ever live down the embarrassment of the situation.

I'd like to add that although what I did was wrong, the way I was spoken to was completely inappropriate and I would honestly say this was a traumatizing experience when it didn't need to eb.

Now, I'm not sure if I'm the rear end in a top hat here or not. On one hand, I know that smoking in a school is unacceptable and I probably shouldn't have done it. On the other hand, I was just trying to satisfy a craving in a relatively non-intrusive way (we smoked in the bathroom all the time when I was in school, the fire alarm never went off). What do you guys think?

TL;DR: Popped into the school bathroom during a parent-teacher conference for a quick cigarette, became an embarrassing spectacle that caused the fire brigade to show up.

quote:

Genuinely feel like I'm living in an alternate reality here. In my experience at school kids smoked cigarettes in the bathroom all the time and was not treated like a big deal. I can remember an instance where a teacher walked in and just told us to put it out, he did not even report it. Someone commented that smoke detectors have improved but I haven't been in school so I didn't know this.

quote:

Believe me a fine was issued but it's yet to be paid. There will be a response from me. I trust that if u were there you would not have this opinion.

quote:

Sad that you would make assumptions like this. I am an excellent father in every way, shape and form. If more fathers were like me we would be living in a better world

quote:

First of all, I don't appreciate your condescending and judgmental tone. Just because I have a child in school does not mean I am automatically an expert in technology.

Furthermore, I am not an addict and do not need addiction therapy. I simply wanted to take a quick smoke break, which is a common and socially acceptable practice. Your suggestion to use nicotine patches is irrelevant and presumptuous.

Lastly, my personal habits do not reflect on my child or their life at school. I am a responsible parent and take care of my child's needs and well-being. It is not your place to judge or speculate on the impact of my actions on my child. Please focus on your own life and leave mine out of it.

quote:

My choices were one thing, but the disproportionate response of the principal and firemen escalated things to become distressing and traumatic for my family. Legal options are being explored.

quote:

I am not embarrassed and I am certainly not throwing a tantrum. I amsimply stating my opinion and you have no right to judge me or tell me what I deserve. You have no idea what I have been through or what my circumstances are, so don't act like you know everything. And just because society has changed its views on smoking in school bathrooms doesn't mean I have to blindly follow along. I am an adult and I can make my own decisions. So don't try to lecture me like a child. Iam not the one being delusional here, it is clearly you.

And the pièce de résistance

quote:

I am an adult and do not need to be lectured by a group of anonymous internet strangers. I will not apologize to the school or anyone else.It is not my responsibility to deal with the consequences of my actions.I will do whatever I please and it is none of your concern. I am not a teenager, I am a grown man and I am more intelligent than all of you combined. Don't tell me what to do or how to behave. I will do what I want and you can all mind your own business.

E: please be fake, I would die if I was this guys kid

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

teen witch posted:

Seeing redditors getting bent out of shape over being judged for things they themselves wrote up and asked to be judged for is my favorite thing in life :yeshaha:

Eridine
Aug 11, 2011

teen witch posted:

r/relationships: It is not my responsibility to deal with the consequences of my actions

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Eridine posted:

r/relationships: It is not my responsibility to deal with the consequences of my actions

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit

Captain Hygiene posted:

Seeing redditors getting bent out of shape over being judged for things they themselves wrote up and asked to be judged for is my favorite thing in life :yeshaha:

It's always so fun, they so clearly expected validation and didn't get it so now it's time to pout.

"Hey Reddit was I the shithead here?"

"Yea kinda actually."

"Well, first of all, how dare you?"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

teen witch posted:

please be fake, I would die if I was this guys kid

if it's not fake his wife and kid should get to kill him themselves

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

DemoneeHo posted:

It might not be normal. But is it wrong?

AITA for expecting my boyfriend to catch up with reviewing his advent calendar when I sent it to him late?

good loving god your spoiler. knocked my rear end so hard i may as well not even bother with a benadryl tonight

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Piell posted:

AITA for making my parents choose between me and my ex/former friend?
Holy loving poo poo, the comments on Reddit are dire. Most are of course critical of the asshat, but there are still quite a few that put the blame on his "ex". Even the ones that excuse his initial shittyness from being 15 years old still forget that he is not 15 anymore.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"I am not an addict"

Yes you are, bucko.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

teen witch posted:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

big dyke energy posted:

Wait, she's just sending the videos to the advent calendar company?? Not like, a youtube video? She's a psychopath he needs to sever.

I checked the comments and no she is not being asked to do this or receiving any kind of incentive or reimbursement for doing it. She really did just decide one day 'we need to sit down and meticulously review advent calendars for the sake of nobody in particular'. Odds are the folks at the company aren't watching or even aware she's creating these videos :stonklol:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I checked the comments and no she is not being asked to do this or receiving any kind of incentive or reimbursement for doing it. She really did just decide one day 'we need to sit down and meticulously review advent calendars for the sake of nobody in particular'. Odds are the folks at the company aren't watching or even aware she's creating these videos :stonklol:

So is she doing it to compare X brand advent calendar to Y brand? Or just the one brand?

Does she say stuff like "I would have preferred a milk chocolate on the 17th instead of the toffee I received." or is it just "today was yummy/yucky. The cardboard door opened a little better than yesterday."?

So many questions, and all of them as pointless and baffling as whatever the gently caress she thinks she is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How can someone who is literally unable to go 30 minutes without redosing not consider themselves an addict?
It's not even 'average redose time of 30 minutes', it's maximum time. Even when doing something else.