Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The prize if you win the free labour game is one of the lowest paying careers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Maestro posted:

They’ve since stopped doing it, but only because I threatened to quit if they kept doing it. It would get served at the bar and I would get light headed, wobbly kneed, headaches. I’m not a tobacco fan.

Tabacco used in that kind of way isn't unusual I think in that specific context. If I'm understanding this right and it's just in a glass dome or something that gets pulled off the plate with a stupid flourish, it's also extremely unlikely that you would be able to inhale enough of it to have significant nicotine in your system to cause those symptoms. If the process of preparing the dish means that they're having to generate a bunch of smoke that gets in your area then it could be a different matter, like if buddy has to light it and blow on the flame and like etc other actions that put a bunch of smoke in your area that's way more of an issue.

I still think you're in the right for complaining about being exposed to even a small amount of smoke that you don't want to be exposed to. It's not part of your job description and working bar is annoying enough at times without also having to smell some poo poo you don't want to smell.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

angerbeet posted:

Hello, restaurant industry thread. A little update. As it turns out, I do like that sort of thing.

I am now officially the Senior Administrator for my free lunch charity. Six months in and passed probation.

I've been through a lot over COVID, as everyone has, but I think sticking with charity has been the right decision, and it's the one happy accident that came from this horrible time.

I have now personally served over 55,000 meals to marginalized citizens of my city. Now, my focus is on paperwork and grant writing, but it's been an experience like no other in my life.

Thank you to all of you in the thread who have been kind enough to encourage me and to share recipes and ideas.

No they did not find a paperwork specific role for me because of the strawberry turnip crumble. Everyone liked it.

I don’t want this to get lost to a page full of staging bickering.

This is cool as hell. The grant writing portion is insanely important which I had no idea mattered until my ex-partner also got into a similar space. gently caress yeah.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Let’s move on from the stage discussion. Not getting paid for your labor is bad, but regularly derailing an otherwise good thread over an issue that will never reach consensus is also bad.

If you want to discuss it further, start a separate thread that I can just gas later when it gets out of hand.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Tabacco used in that kind of way isn't unusual I think in that specific context. If I'm understanding this right and it's just in a glass dome or something that gets pulled off the plate with a stupid flourish, it's also extremely unlikely that you would be able to inhale enough of it to have significant nicotine in your system to cause those symptoms. If the process of preparing the dish means that they're having to generate a bunch of smoke that gets in your area then it could be a different matter, like if buddy has to light it and blow on the flame and like etc other actions that put a bunch of smoke in your area that's way more of an issue.

I still think you're in the right for complaining about being exposed to even a small amount of smoke that you don't want to be exposed to. It's not part of your job description and working bar is annoying enough at times without also having to smell some poo poo you don't want to smell.

Could be an allergic reaction, my mom is allergic to cigarette smoke and it doesnt take much for her to get too woozy to stand

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s weird. I’ve smoked a handful of times, and cigarettes are unavoidable some places. I definitely don’t like it. I’m willing to admit there was probably a fair amount of psychosomatic or placebo type reaction. And some self righteous Californian “how dare you expose me to tobacco at my workplace.” And I love beef tartare and if I were served that (no mention on the menu btw) I would be pretty pissed off

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I cannot imagine good smelling tobacco outside of a real nice cigar, and I doubt he's using one of those. Nicotine is dangerous too, especially with alcohol.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah gently caress that tobacco tartare. That's revolting.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The Maestro posted:

It’s weird. I’ve smoked a handful of times, and cigarettes are unavoidable some places. I definitely don’t like it. I’m willing to admit there was probably a fair amount of psychosomatic or placebo type reaction. And some self righteous Californian “how dare you expose me to tobacco at my workplace.” And I love beef tartare and if I were served that (no mention on the menu btw) I would be pretty pissed off

Bold part is hella terrible. I'm trying to quit smoking, and I'd be livid if I paid for tartare and got something that might make me itchy with cravings. Not to mention folks with allergies, pregnant folks, etc.

If you have allergies or needs, you can be proactive about things like foodstuffs or alcohol, but I sure as hell wouldn't think to ask my server "do any menu items contain tobacco?"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Bold part is hella terrible. I'm trying to quit smoking, and I'd be livid if I paid for tartare and got something that might make me itchy with cravings. Not to mention folks with allergies, pregnant folks, etc.

If you have allergies or needs, you can be proactive about things like foodstuffs or alcohol, but I sure as hell wouldn't think to ask my server "do any menu items contain tobacco?"

You gotta assume all your food has tobacco in it as chef makes your dish with an unlit smoke hanging from their mouth trying to bang it off fast so they can go have a dart.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The General posted:

You gotta assume all your food has tobacco in it as chef makes your dish with an unlit smoke hanging from their mouth trying to bang it off fast so they can go have a dart.

Heckuva av/post combo there, lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I had sweetbreads at a michelin 3 star that was braised in tobacco leaf. It was good! Theyre still serving it 10 years later. Ofc it says so on their menu, big difference.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I don't know if I can do another holiday season

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

whos that broooown posted:

I don't know if I can do another holiday season

It’s okay, you’ll be doing it all over again next year, too

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Yeah :negative:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Almost got hosed up by a damaged machine that shouldn't have been approved for use. Later I learned one of my coworkers had informed management days ago about this potential serious problem but they ignored him because he's "one of the complainers." Real dumb stuff. Glad I didn't lose a limb.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
drat, that mandolin must be huge.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Someone almost got electrocuted by an exposed wire and by the next day it wasn't really brought up. Seems normal

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Animal-Mother posted:

Almost got hosed up by a damaged machine that shouldn't have been approved for use. Later I learned one of my coworkers had informed management days ago about this potential serious problem but they ignored him because he's "one of the complainers." Real dumb stuff. Glad I didn't lose a limb.
In my first bar job I got electrocuted by a UV banknote scanner that someone had spilled a drink over

Luckily my manager was actually competent and had the scanner removed immediately (and safely)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The disaster of a brewery I briefly worked at last year had us use pumps with exposed wiring that were placed on the (wet) floor. Often the pumps wouldn't run unless the wires were situated right.

Probably fine.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I've been electrocuted in restaurants enough times to warrant a BOFH story arc.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

In most advanced countries and also parts of the United States OSHA inspectors are really response to unsafe equipment complaints.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've managed to get out of the industry for 4 years straight now, which is a new record for me. I wouldn't go back to a commercial kitchen if you paid me 6 figures.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Downtown Seattle Nordstrom cafe in 2017. Expo runs through a swinging door that opens both ways. Metal door, metal door frame. One of the cooks grabbed the frame after someone exited the kitchen, and while the door is still open, someone pushes it back in to walk through. Took off the middle finger right at the nail.

The cook was an MMA enthusiast. His twin brother found the finger while our bleeding cook started shadowboxing and insisting that he was fine and could run the salad line.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

parthenocarpy posted:

His twin brother

Not completely, anymore.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Have you folks seen The Prestige?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

Not completely, anymore.

Oh invariably, we mocked his unwholesomeness mercilessly. GOT was real popular then so he got called halfhand alot but I loved "nine point nine"

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Not to call back stage chat but that this thread went a whole page without suggesting the anal-friendly recipe developer show up in assess chaps is a goddamn shame. Everyone takes a shot of fernet.

Content: last time I worked in a professional kitchen, one of the Sous would take the pots and pans that had grease polymerized onto them and put them into an electrolytic bath overnight to clean them. I googled it and only came up with options for cast iron, not just regular steel (and I dare not try it with our copper pans). Can anyone point me towards an at-home method?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Another really horrible dollar tree warning letter today.

https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/warning-letters/dollar-tree-inc-629509-11082022

Choice quotes:

quote:

Apparent bird droppings were observed on chocolate protein shakes and Vitamin C supplement drops and on the floor near the northeast side of the small food storage racks by the shipping area

quote:

Significant gnawings, REPs TNTC, and a strong odor of rodent urine and excreta on a pallet containing (b)(4) cases of mixed nuts

REPs TNTC stands for "Rodent Excreta Pellets Too Numerous to Count", and I propose it as a new thread title.

quote:

REP and (b)(7)(E) hair on top of a pallet of Vitamin C 1000 mg dietary supplements

quote:

Approximately 15 REPs on a pallet of flour located in rack location (b)(4). Eleven of the (b)(4) cases stored on the pallet contained product with gnawings. While investigators unstacked the pallet, two mice exited from gnawed-open product bags stacked on the bottom layer of the pallet and ran west under the north end of aisle (b)(4)

quote:

A strong foul odor/stench of dead and decaying rodents, rodent pellets, and evidence of rodents nesting in and around the Inventory Control Center (ICC) and the breakroom

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I felt like Significant Gnawings jumped out at me a bit more.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

prayer group posted:

Significant Gnawings is just the name of my new band and/or a successful end to date night.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 21, 2022

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Is washing canned food before opening it not as common as I think? Warehouse environments are like that at base level, you always gotta be suspicious. When I worked in restaurant supply, it was common for customers to freak out over finding rodent bodies. For most people it isn't every day they find a pair of rat corpses in a 60qt mixing bowl. I got way too used to dealing with them. One of the storage warehouses had about thirty used deep fryers pulled from failed restaurants, each with a few million calories worth of rodent sustaining congealed oil coating the sides.

God I don't miss that place one bit. The owner made an out of court settlement, he threw a J-bar at me across a sidewalk in downtown Minneapolis during a restaurant teardown. I didn't sue him, the J-bar only traveled five feet and immediately collided with a bicyclist

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

prayer group posted:

that's a better username than title, so :mods:??

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

parthenocarpy posted:

Is washing canned food before opening it not as common as I think? Warehouse environments are like that at base level, you always gotta be suspicious. When I worked in restaurant supply, it was common for customers to freak out over finding rodent bodies. For most people it isn't every day they find a pair of rat corpses in a 60qt mixing bowl. I got way too used to dealing with them. One of the storage warehouses had about thirty used deep fryers pulled from failed restaurants, each with a few million calories worth of rodent sustaining congealed oil coating the sides.

God I don't miss that place one bit. The owner made an out of court settlement, he threw a J-bar at me across a sidewalk in downtown Minneapolis during a restaurant teardown. I didn't sue him, the J-bar only traveled five feet and immediately collided with a bicyclist

I mean it's the worst warning letter I've seen in at least a year, and it's very explicitly violating a shitton of federal regulations. None of that is remotely normally allowable or tolerable.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

parthenocarpy posted:

How common were these rodent bodies?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Countless. Do you wanna know what happens when two mice fall into the same hobart mixer bowl?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

parthenocarpy posted:

Countless. Do you wanna know what happens when two mice fall into the same hobart mixer bowl?

Probably depends on whether you’re using the dough hook or whisk.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Made the last family meal of the year. It will be nice to have no alarm clocks set for a couple weeks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I worked briefly in a popular music venue as a barback last month, and one thing I noticed was that one of the extremely-experienced bartenders would wash off the tops of his staff beer cans before opening them. I mean good on him; I've definitely heard stories of rat stool being found on cans, but if you're that concerned to do it for yourself, maybe I shouldn't drink or bring friends or work here anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

I worked briefly in a popular music venue as a barback last month, and one thing I noticed was that one of the extremely-experienced bartenders would wash off the tops of his staff beer cans before opening them. I mean good on him; I've definitely heard stories of rat stool being found on cans, but if you're that concerned to do it for yourself, maybe I shouldn't drink or bring friends or work here anymore.

A bartender of that caliber is washing off cans in concern of how they were stored prior to being shipped.