Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Jestery posted:

Can someone explain the thread title joke to me, I genuinely do not get the reference

Best I can do is point out that Boer is the name of the Dutch ethnic group the Afrikaaners are descended from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Automatic Slim posted:

Elon’s decline is reminiscent of Jack Torrance’s except on social media instead social isolation and 🤣 emojis instead of “All work and no play…”

Torrence was fired from his job as s high school teacher for beating the poo poo out of a kid who slashed his tires. He was always a bad guy. The book also makes it explicit that he abused Danny prior to the events of the Shining (he straight up broke his arm)

One of the reasons the Kubrick movie works is because they make Jack a lot more sympathetic. He’s a violent drunk in the books and the hotel just feeds off of it and drags him in. It’s never ambiguous. There’s no face/heel turn. He’s just an alcoholic who tries to get away from booze and the hotel tempts him and drags him back in.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 21, 2022

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Very weird post

There is a literal child orgy in "IT" that they, for obvious reasons, did not include in the movies.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

PinheadSlim posted:

There is a literal child orgy in "IT" that they, for obvious reasons, did not include in the movies.

King has admitted he was on a boatload of coke when he wrote that scene which isn’t an excuse or anything but yeah, it hasn’t ever been adapted to film I

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Captain Hygiene posted:

Like playing 5D chess with someone who's dumber in each dimension than the last

I play 5D Polytopia, it's a more complex experience for intellectual minds like my own.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Elon is still bringing back nobodies like Naomi Wolf as a source of joy to the platform

https://twitter.com/naomirwolf/stat...ber%3D2101pti31

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jestery posted:

Can someone explain the thread title joke to me, I genuinely do not get the reference

As someone already said, Boer is referring to a white South African ethnic group.

The title is a joke based on the title of a long-running American soap opera called "As the World Turns."

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Coward, bring back DICK WOLF

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Frank Frank posted:

Torrence was fired from his job as s high school teacher for beating the poo poo out of a kid who slashed his tires. He was always a bad guy. The book also makes it explicit that he abused Danny prior to the events of the Shining (he straight up broke his arm)

One of the reasons the Kubrick movie works is because they make Jack a lot more sympathetic. He’s a violent drunk in the books and the hotel just feeds off of it and drags him in. It’s never ambiguous. There’s no face/heel turn. He’s just an alcoholic who tries to get away from booze and the hotel tempts him and drags him back in.

Great book, great movie

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Woke Mind Virus is my band's name

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

cr0y posted:

I just remembered that musk was basically forced to buy Twitter against his will after mister magoo'ing his way through the US legal system.

🤣

LOL

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The title is a joke based on the title of a long-running American soap opera called "As the World Turns."

Ahhhh, I am not familiar with the soap, that makes sense

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Jestery posted:

Ahhhh, I am not familiar with the soap, that makes sense

goons.txt

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

cr0y posted:

I just remembered that musk was basically forced to buy Twitter against his will after mister magoo'ing his way through the US legal system.

🤣

Concerning.

🤣🤣🤣

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hey, today is also the first time a lot of Elon Musk supporters also took a bath in a long while 🤣🤣🤣

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Lol owned

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1605449103709569025?t=qGT6_VWIFqRvnGpKO5OCHQ&s=19

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1605452043262386177

what does this mean lol

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Jestery posted:

Oddly enough this just came across my reddit scrolling.

The algorithm knows :tinfoil:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

The amount you spend reading Twitter every day equals 0 unregretted user minutes because Twitter has always been a mistake

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

It means musk is actually having to face a problem that requires actual thought, and not just buzz words and he is just looking at it saying

"Interesting, I agree with you"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is he trying to argue that users don't use a LOT of Twitter, and therefore should pay less for [Whatever bill he doesn't want to pay]?

The Dumb Never Ends

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm sure there's no reason whatsoever to have 5 different apis. Pick one as the official and remove the others, instant 80% reduction in maintenance and I'm sure nothing will go wrong

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Frank Frank posted:

I'm in a horror book club and as an alcoholic I couldn't read that book. I dipped off of Stephen King after it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A whole FIVE API's you say? Also lol if Egon Spendler is only learning about his company's infrastructure now.

I'm gonna laugh when Elon starts demanding for five API'S for presumably completely separate systems be integrated into one. It will be an utter clusterfuck of security and networking.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IBroughttheFunk posted:

What time is it? If you guessed "Time for More Bullshit No One Cares About," you're 100% correct!

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/1605292454261182464
its so funny that THE TWITTER FILES arent even managing great likes numbers. like 60k is less than a decent right wing meme gets. this shits impossible to explain to your grandma and is literally only relevant to specifically rightwing twitter guys.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Who Hotzes the Hotzmen

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is giant website man saying that he should not pay the bandwidth bill...?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

confused posted:

Yes. I'm lying about the whole thing. I have nothing better to do with my life then sit around and make up stories about myself to impress people on SA.

Believe me or don't, but everything I have posted is true and what I actually believe based on my knowledge and experience.

I hate repeating myself but "Lol" & lets not forget: "What?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cr0y posted:

Today I learned I would be considered black by the Apartheid era South African government. Interesting :elon:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

cr0y posted:

How stiff are hair plugs? Would they hold a pencil?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

cr0y posted:

Is giant website man saying that he should not pay the bandwidth bill...?

I mean, he's already under the impression he should not pay the building's rent

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://twitter.com/BudrykZack/status/1605296705322483712

Honestly I'd have more respect for Elon if he hopped on a hoverboard and started publicly disintegrating his businesses' board members

I’m somewhat of a troll myself

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Endorph posted:

its so funny that THE TWITTER FILES arent even managing great likes numbers. like 60k is less than a decent right wing meme gets. this shits impossible to explain to your grandma and is literally only relevant to specifically rightwing twitter guys.

They're not punchy enough. Like the whole loving point of Twitter is to make things short and hit hard. It's why it's the perfect platform for Trump. It's why it works for Memes. Making long rear end threads just doesn't work well. It'd be like writing a novel with only bullet points.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DickParasite posted:

They're not punchy enough. Like the whole loving point of Twitter is to make things short and hit hard. It's why it's the perfect platform for Trump. It's why it works for Memes. Making long rear end threads just doesn't work well. It'd be like writing a novel with only bullet points.

There was also nothing of interest in them. Everything was already well-established, and only chuds who already had their minds made up think there is anything meaningful in the "Twitter files" because it is spinning mundane bullshit in a way that fits with their pre-existing beliefs.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah the problem with the TWITTER FILES are that they are basically like Nigerian scam emails. The substance of those emails are absolutely ridiculous to anybody other than the most gullible persons or those at the correct mindset they can scam, and they can eliminate all the doubters and on-the-fencers responding to them - they just want those who'll be all in.

The problem is Musk wants the TWITTER FILES to pretend to have some kind of legitimacy attached to them rather than being purestrain Qanon or right-wing nonsense. Which is why they get people with, uh, some kind of legitimacy to them like taibbi or weiss to post them, and to post huge threads up to 50-60.

This decision gains lots of eyeballs on them but it also allowed more people to come to the conclusion that the TWITTER FILES are a waste of time. It got too many doubters and people mocking them, leading to everything after, idk 3 or 4, being completely ignored.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/74DavidL/status/1605364040774979589

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

Today I learned I would be considered black by the Apartheid era South African government. Interesting :elon:

Lol you think that's funny there is the whole honorary whites thing for the trip nations cup

The NZ team was black/Maori enough to be disqualified from playing professional football in apartheid era South Africa

So the powers that be made them "honorary whites" so they could legally play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Featherless Biped
Dec 14, 2022

Even his “Twitter will now break even thanks to me!” message shows how bad he is at running this company.

If revenue is $3bn (down from $5bn in 2021 thanks to Elon scaring off advertisers) and expenses “would have been” $6.5bn (up from $5.5bn - so basically because of the $1bn interest on Elon’s LBO loan) Twitter could well have broken even if Elon hadn’t bought it.

Instead to break even Elon had had to slash operating expenses down to just $2bn (plus the $1bn interest expenses), which apparently is somehow not going to affect the $3bn revenue forecast, and totally won’t gut the company’s long term prospects at all.

Also legal settlement expenses were only $0.765bn in 2021, so Elon should probably factor in an increase there.