Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I’m not 100% sure about Luthen but he had a wood paneled lightsaber when they searched him before his meeting with Forest Whitaker. Seems like a pretty big hint, but I’ve been wrong before.

Ending speech stuff is just a personal preference. I thought it was very over the top and silly compared to everything else. They just really wanted to make sure we all know the evil galactic empire really is bad and I think a more understated speech followed by an over zealous empire response would have sold it better.

Robobot fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Robobot posted:

I’m not 100% sure about Luthen but he had a wood paneled lightsaber when they searched him before his meeting with Forest Whitaker. Seems like a pretty big hint, but I’ve been wrong before.

Yeah, there was that. Also I googled it and it seems there are some other hints too like the crystal he has and fact he has a lot of ancient jedi stuff on his store and that part of the speech he gives to the informant guy about the "equation" etc.
I have to admit I missed all of that (I mean, missed what it could mean)

So yeah, thats probably going to be. It could still be something interesting to exploit, like he would be some kind of fallen but not sith jedi, maybe a "grey jedi"?. But, is disney so..

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 20, 2022

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Who is the first?

Juliette Lewis as present-day Nat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really hope the fact Andor is a planned two-season show with a known end means Gilroy planned the whole thing ahead of time and Disney won’t get to insert as much of their nonsense in season 2 but who knows

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Ugh. No.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
People who hate Star Wars discovering that the Star Wars Show for People who Hate Star Wars turns out to be a Star Wars Show.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Raspberry Bang posted:

I’ve been trying trying to catch up on things I need to watch for my year end review. Just finished Station Eleven. Very nice show. I’m glad it’s a narratively tight mini series and not a drawn out multiple season story.

Am I the only person that watched this and expected something more to happen? maybe I got distracted and lost the plot. I thought things were going to go off the rails, but maybe I misunderstood it all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tsyni posted:

Am I the only person that watched this and expected something more to happen? maybe I got distracted and lost the plot. I thought things were going to go off the rails, but maybe I misunderstood it all.

Maybe. It’s a lovely show about the power of art and community. Not some big plot thing

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I really hope the fact Andor is a planned two-season show with a known end means Gilroy planned the whole thing ahead of time and Disney won’t get to insert as much of their nonsense in season 2 but who knows

I have a feeling Iger coming in will actually mean they might finally ease up on the synergy lever on some of these fuckin shows.

Ffflarfff
Nov 18, 2017
Any suggestions for some series in Spanish, ideally from Spain?

We've finished and more-or-less liked Unauthorised Living, Cocaine Coast, Bitter Daisies, The Mess You Leave Behind, 30 Coins, Antidisturbios, The Barrier and Nasdrovia. I couldn't get into Money Heist or Elite, and we're currently on The Wrong Side of the Tracks, although I don't think I'd recommend it.

(My partner is Spanish and not keen on watching stuff around ETA or terrorism, which has ruled a few things out too.)

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Doom Patrol got it's hooks in early. Alan Tudyk can do no wrong and I love Brandon Fraser.

I don't care one bit about comic book shows/movies....but Doom Patrol rules.

Waiting for the entire season to wrap up before watching.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ffflarfff posted:

Any suggestions for some series in Spanish, ideally from Spain?

We've finished and more-or-less liked Unauthorised Living, Cocaine Coast, Bitter Daisies, The Mess You Leave Behind, 30 Coins, Antidisturbios, The Barrier and Nasdrovia. I couldn't get into Money Heist or Elite, and we're currently on The Wrong Side of the Tracks, although I don't think I'd recommend it.

(My partner is Spanish and not keen on watching stuff around ETA or terrorism, which has ruled a few things out too.)

Elite was absolutely fantastic, maybe give it a rewatch.

Ffflarfff
Nov 18, 2017

jokes posted:

Elite was absolutely fantastic, maybe give it a rewatch.

We've tried it twice already - I know it gets recommended a lot, but neither of us really dug it. There's a few others I've been meaning to try again, though (The Pier, Hierro and 45 RPM).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We watched a short crime series called The Paradise which was sort of a half Spanish half Finnish (and half in English when the two teams had to talk to each other). Other than the language mix I don’t know if it broke a ton of new ground but might be worth a watch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This dance marathon subplot on Babylon Berlin is so good. Lighting is giving me Noé vibes.

Love the commitment this show has to showing off different forms of art and entertainment, coming up with original song and dance numbers, etc.

And then it ends of murder ferrets lmdabo

Escobarbarian posted:

It was originally conceived as a five season show, but slimmed down when it became clear that project would take around ten years to complete.

I hope this means the pacing improves next season.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 21, 2022

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
The Night Of is a TV show on HBO about a muslim college kid named Naz (Riz Ahmed) doing absolutely everything in his power to get convicted for a crime he didn’t commit. John Turturro is a delight, portraying a defence attorney with horrific eczema and a superhuman ability to resist clasping his hands around his clients neck and squeezing. I lost count at the number of times I buried my head in my hands because of Naz’s efforts to become the Guiltiest Person Ever and make John Turturro’s job harder than it already is but that was half of the fun. If they ever do a second season I’ll for sure check it out.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Philthy posted:

So, the Schad thread pointed out some amusing happenings in History channel's "Alone" series. I've been binge watching it on Hulu for a little bit now, and I'm almost done with season 2.

It's a show about 10 people being dropped off, alone, on Vancouver Island. Overall, the show is halfway hilarious because you have people who lose their flints, then someone making fun of the person who lost their flint the previous season then they lose their flint. You have big tough army vets who say they won't need to be evacuated out and an hour later they're calling to be evacuated because they saw a 4 lb bear poo on their landing site.

It's becoming very clear that Vancouver Island simply isn't sustainable for a long amount of time because of the food choices are just too few in calories unless you eat a TON of them. So people who figure everything out seem to be tapping out of boredom from not being able to do anything because they'd need to eat 10 lbs of trout or something. I'm hoping season 3 has a different location that has an abundance of wildlife beyond alpha predators that have already eaten everything.

What is also shocking is that a bunch of people question why they're out there in the first place. They feel like they're losing their time in the real world by being there. I can't wrap my head around that concept. Like, at all.

The later seasons are definitely better as the people on the show have watched the previous seasons and learned. There are definitely a couple different viable strategies people use but I think a good chunk of the game is mental. If people aren’t ready to spend a couple months stuck in their own heads they are going to lose.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Escobarbarian posted:

Maybe. It’s a lovely show about the power of art and community. Not some big plot thing

I had the same feelings about The English where major events happen offscreen. It goes out of its way to not do things like they are supposed to be done in TV land.
And for me it worked, helped by some absolutely gorgeous (and nigthmarish) visuals and strong performances. Emily Blunt is the big star but Chaske Spencer and Rafe Spall give performances of a lifetime.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CeeJee posted:

I had the same feelings about The English where major events happen offscreen. It goes out of its way to not do things like they are supposed to be done in TV land.
And for me it worked, helped by some absolutely gorgeous (and nigthmarish) visuals and strong performances. Emily Blunt is the big star but Chaske Spencer and Rafe Spall give performances of a lifetime.

I think I know exactly the events you're talking about. Particularly the one in the finale, which is real Rosencrantz and Guildenstern being announced as having died energy.

Really good show, rewatched it recently.

The syphilis reveal is so well done.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Alris posted:

The Night Of is a TV show on HBO about a muslim college kid named Naz (Riz Ahmed) doing absolutely everything in his power to get convicted for a crime he didn’t commit. John Turturro is a delight, portraying a defence attorney with horrific eczema and a superhuman ability to resist clasping his hands around his clients neck and squeezing. I lost count at the number of times I buried my head in my hands because of Naz’s efforts to become the Guiltiest Person Ever and make John Turturro’s job harder than it already is but that was half of the fun. If they ever do a second season I’ll for sure check it out.

I think it's a 'limited series' like Chernobyl and won't get more time. It's great and I'm glad it exists at all

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Turturro has said in interviews there’s a possibility of more but I really wouldn’t hold my breath

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Alris posted:

I haven't seen either but until right now thought The Night Of and The Night Manager were the same show.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
What do you guys think of The Magicians?

I've watched the first 4 episodes and it seems interesting but a slightly too much teenage drama like, not a very likeable main character, and a tad random. Does it improve more?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Kalenden posted:

I've watched the first 4 episodes and it seems interesting but a slightly too much teenage drama like, not a very likeable main character, and a tad random. Does it improve more?

I felt the same way and I liked the first season with hope for more and it just...didn't get better for what I was hoping for. I never finished it, but I remember asking this same question after I finished season 1.5 or something like that? Halfway through the second season maybe?

Lots of people here love it for what it is, but I couldn't get into it even though it felt like it had a lot of cool potential.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I thought the Magicians got extremely good by the end of season 1 and stayed that way until the end.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kalenden posted:

Its extremely silly so it very much depends on what you want it to be

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kalenden posted:

Tsyni posted:

I felt the same way and I liked the first season with hope for more and it just...didn't get better for what I was hoping for. I never finished it, but I remember asking this same question after I finished season 1.5 or something like that? Halfway through the second season maybe?

Lots of people here love it for what it is, but I couldn't get into it even though it felt like it had a lot of cool potential.

I almost didn't make it through the first season of The Magicians, but it gets better once the show figures out what it wants to be and who the characters are. It stops being "the Quentin show" by the second season, and the other characters all get interesting turns in the spotlight. While it never completely abandons the angsty-YA-style relationship drama, the show gets smarter and goes some interesting places over its run.

The only major issue I had with the show was the Reynard storyline (late S1 through S2), as that character (both spoiler and content warning) rapes and/or murders multiple major characters. While that certainly raises the stakes, it's not a theme I feel was necessary to set the tone for a show like this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ishamael posted:

Yeah I've watched the first 5 episodes of Andor and I just don't enjoy it, so I am bailing. I can see that it is very competently made and isn't the dumb garbage of Boba Fett, but everything is just so slow and ponderous, and its all in service of a character and story I didn't care much about in the first place (Rogue One). That said, I know I am in the super minority and everyone else loves it, so I am glad people are enjoying it.

You can let it go afterwards, but episode 6 is very much the opposite of slow and ponderous. You deserve some payoff. It slows down again after though, so just end on a high note.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kalenden posted:

While it does start strong it drags in later seasons. Still worth a watch, but you may find it a little long on the tooth towards the end

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

My wife introduced me to Documentary Now (Netflix). Sat down to watch just 1, and 4 episodes later had to force myself to take a break. Just extremely my thing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The first season of The Magicians was adhering relatively tightly to the books; it got way better once it started playing fast and loose with the book stuff and coming up with its own ideas from season 2 onwards.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The Magicians turned out better than I would have expected. Season four finale is real fuckin good and probably should have ended there. BUT I’ve watched a lot worse and it takes some interesting turns I didn’t expect.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm working my way through the third season of Jack Ryan. The first two seasons were only ever background TV for me but I've really enjoyed the story this season. Also, the intro is super cool.

Octy fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 22, 2022

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

pumped up for school posted:

My wife introduced me to Documentary Now (Netflix). Sat down to watch just 1, and 4 episodes later had to force myself to take a break. Just extremely my thing.

I've lost track of how many times I've watched the episode that parodies, "The Kid Stays in the Picture." So goddamned funny. poo poo, I'm going to watch it now.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Started watching Homicide: Life on the Street. Kind of odd it's not on Peacock or online anywhere, show is amazing so far. Cool to see Det. John Munch origins and the first show based off David Simon book, prior to The Wire. I know I heard about Munch being in a different show before SVU but I did not know it was based off Simon's first book/ran on NBC.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alris posted:

David Chase had been working on this for awhile, and if he hadn't died James Gandolfini would have played John Turturro's role.

About halfway through the first season of For All Mankind and I like it alot. If you don't know its an alternate history where Russia gets to the moon first instead of America. I really like that instead of casting people to play Presidents they just show a picture of them and play dialogue. Sometimes they're just on the phone.

It seems pretty grounded so far, really hoping they dont do a Man In The High Castle and introduce different timelines or dimensions or some poo poo

My main complaint is thst one of the leads, Joel Kinnaman is too tall to play an astronaut/pilot. Maybe its different for astronauts but Air Force and Navy pilots cant be over 6"2 . Joel Kinnaman looks like hes 6"4 or 6"5.The planes are built for the average height so the majority of people can fit inside. Maybe if you have billions of dollars you can make the shuttle fit a tall person if they're really good.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kids are watching Ms. Marvel and it's a goofy fun superhero show, but it's also got so much cool Pakistan representation. A major plot point is about the British Partition and how devastating that was, which is something American schoolkids never really learn about. It also shows American Pakistani Muslims in a way that most shows tend to gloss over if not ignore. Much deeper than I thought when we started it

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Rhyno posted:

Ugh. No.

I know you're already banned for something else, but this is the post you deserved to get banned for.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Traitors on BBC is unbelievably entertaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Kids are watching Ms. Marvel and it's a goofy fun superhero show, but it's also got so much cool Pakistan representation. A major plot point is about the British Partition and how devastating that was, which is something American schoolkids never really learn about. It also shows American Pakistani Muslims in a way that most shows tend to gloss over if not ignore. Much deeper than I thought when we started it

I enjoyed it more than I thought it would, it was cool to see that community represented in a new and fun way, and the family dynamic was really enjoyable.