Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Coldbird posted:

Leaving the country for any reason just seems like a bad idea. What’s the upside? It makes him look good in front of the US, sure, but that partnership wasn’t particularly at risk. It may be in the future once (if?) the R House manages to organize itself - but by that point his visit will too long in the past to matter.

Even if nothing untoward happens security-wise with the trip itself, if RU manages to find any tactical successes while he’s out of the country then it looks bad for both Zelenskyy and Ukraine. However strong his support is domestically, it’s still a nation under incredible and long-lasting pressure, it’s general public enduring terrible conditions in many places. Even a hint of him appearing to not care or not come through for his people could do significant damage.

Dude was just visiting the troops in Bakhmut, probably one of the most dangerous places in the world right now. After 10 months I think he'll be ok on a 2 day business trip* to address the legislature of the pre-eminent power supporting his country.

*I don't know how long the trip is gonna be but I can't imagine long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Coldbird posted:

Leaving the country for any reason just seems like a bad idea. What’s the upside? It makes him look good in front of the US, sure, but that partnership wasn’t particularly at risk. It may be in the future once (if?) the R House manages to organize itself - but by that point his visit will too long in the past to matter.

Even if nothing untoward happens security-wise with the trip itself, if RU manages to find any tactical successes while he’s out of the country then it looks bad for both Zelenskyy and Ukraine. However strong his support is domestically, it’s still a nation under incredible and long-lasting pressure, it’s general public enduring terrible conditions in many places. Even a hint of him appearing to not care or not come through for his people could do significant damage.

He literally just made an appearance at one of the most active sections the front, spending a couple days to shore up relations with the country providing >50% of military aid for the conflict isn't exactly "appearing to not care."

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

No you see, the moment he leaves all troops take a -25% moral hit, he needs to be in range for his AOE powers to work

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CNN is reporting it now too. They don't say anything new but just reiterate that the trip might still be cancelled for security reasons and it probably won't be confirmed until the last possible minute.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/20/politics/volodymyr-zelensky-washington-dc-visit/index.html

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1605329486542966785

Besides, things seem to be going increasingly well up north.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The US is passing a budget omnibus bill tonight:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1605341612367716352

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1605341140240240645

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This is all misdirection. If you think Zelensky is in Washington, he's probably in St. Petersburg.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

sniper4625 posted:

Besides, things seem to be going increasingly well up north.

It's a couple of KM of ground. Small stuff like this happens all the time.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Foreign leaders at war travel outside the country all the time. The Malta Conference, anyone? Zelenskyy leaving Ukraine is a Big Deal, but it's not a Negative Big Deal.

Something struck me watching the Army-Navy Game this year (American football): the Army team had patches for the 1st Armored Division because they're over in Europe right now. I had assumed that only XVIII Airborne Corps operational units were in Europe. 1AD is part of III Armored Corps. It's of course very possible that it was just easier to put that 1AD brigade under operational command of whatever Corps is running Europe--training rotations, etc. all matter for that sort of thing. But it makes me think that the US, at least, isn't putting its entire European contingency on the backs of a handful of light infantry brigades.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
George VI came to the US

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So this is a little weird:
https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1605259964947529728
As far as I can understand the JDAM thing is a guidance conversion kit for dumb bombs, which sounds like something really hard to use w/o air superiority.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OddObserver posted:

As far as I can understand the JDAM thing is a guidance conversion kit for dumb bombs, which sounds like something really hard to use w/o air superiority.

Why? You can use all manner of air to ground munitions in contested airspace and JDAM kits make dumb bombs incredibly effective. You just have some risk of taking losses so it won’t be like some kind of US/NATO air campaign.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

MikeC posted:

It's a couple of KM of ground. Small stuff like this happens all the time.

A couple of km putting them on the doorstep of a major objective. Not putting carts before horses but hopefully it turns out to be slightly more important than the prior two months of very slow line shifting.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why? You can use all manner of air to ground munitions in contested airspace and JDAM kits make dumb bombs incredibly effective. You just have some risk of taking losses so it won’t be like some kind of US/NATO air campaign.

Ukraine doesn't have many planes to spare. I too don't quite understand how JDAMs are any use when they don't have air superiority. Like yeah from what I understand you can get a little bit of standoff range by dropping the bomb and allowing it to glide to hit the target but that doesn't seem like enough distance to avoid AA missiles. But I'm not an expert on these things.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Coldbird posted:

The UK and US population and military famously tried to abandon their fight in WW2 when Churchill and FDR went on vacation with Stalin in Yalta, so I definitely see what precedent you’re talking about! That’s why the Nazis won ww2.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

Ukraine doesn't have many planes to spare. I too don't quite understand how JDAMs are any use when they don't have air superiority. Like yeah from what I understand you can get a little bit of standoff range by dropping the bomb and allowing it to glide to hit the target but that doesn't seem like enough distance to avoid AA missiles. But I'm not an expert on these things.

Pure speculation but something like LABS might work. SAMs have a hard time intercepting low level fast movers.

Ukraine may not have many planes to spare but they’re still flying sorties and tools to increase their effectiveness are useful.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Charliegrs posted:

I don't know if it makes much of a difference. Zelensky will most likely travel by land over into Poland then take a flight to the US. So unless the Russians want to fly over NATO territory to shoot down the passenger jet carrying Zelensky then I don't think there's much danger. And with Zelensky out of the country what are the Russians going to do? Invade harder?

Most passenger jets flying between Europe/NA/Asia use the arctic circle. In theory, the Russians could shoot down a passenger jet (or a few) there.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ynglaur posted:

Foreign leaders at war travel outside the country all the time. The Malta Conference, anyone?

That was really ballsy, FDR and Churchill meeting with Stalin in Malta all the while Italians were bombing the place! :v:

(Yes, I know it's supposed to be Yalta...)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

OddObserver posted:

I am not a fighter pilot, but I imagine you could lob a bomb some distance if you get some speed going and lift up. I doubt Ukraine can fly at medium altitude, and flying at low altitude would limit the range of such a thing, but...maybe? Any pilot-types care to weigh in?

Nenonen posted:

That was really ballsy, FDR and Churchill meeting with Stalin in Malta all the while Italians were bombing the place! :v:

(Yes, I know it's supposed to be Yalta...)

:negative: Thanks for the correction.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

JDAMs are highly effective at toss bombing because unlike laser-guided weapons you don't need to paint the target or worry about the seeker losing view of the spot.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Ynglaur posted:

I am not a fighter pilot, but I imagine you could lob a bomb some distance if you get some speed going and lift up. I doubt Ukraine can fly at medium altitude, and flying at low altitude would limit the range of such a thing, but...maybe? Any pilot-types care to weigh in?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toss_bombing

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
The JDAM thing didn't make since to me when it was leaked earlier and this new source still doesn't shed light as too why either. Best I've been able to figure it might just be something to start getting Russian anti-air radars to expose themselves to HARM missiles because now targets are going to be flying that can strike the rear.

Reports are that Russian Air-Defense has gotten very good about switching off to avoid hits mostly because anything in the air was there just to hit the radars. Now that Ukraine has some air delivery bombs that will complicate the decision making and make them choose commit to a launch and risk get destroyed or stand idle and lose other assets due to indecision.

Makes enough since to me but I'd rather UA just get air to ground missiles like Russia has been using.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The advantage with the JDAM is that it’s a cool kit you strap on existing bombs that uses GPS, so there’s probably zero systems integration required to attach it to a FAB-500 and drop it from a Su-25. (There are probably parameters within the JDAM kit that need to be modified to account for different dynamics of the FAB-500, but that’s pretty simple compared to actual integration).

One of the problems with HARM is that it’s only useable in one targeting mode when not integrated. The fact that they are usable is pretty clever, but they are limited by the lack of integration to the launch platform’s systems. The JDAM is great compared to almost anything else because it requires zero integration.

It also makes the Ukrainian planes still fly able that much more effective. It opens up a whole world of new targets to try to strike. Things that would be very difficult to hit previously are now hittable, which changes your risk calculus regarding sorties.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Here's some speculation about what the JDAM could do for Ukraine:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/what-jdam-smart-bombs-could-do-for-ukraine

My summary of the article is basically that there is potential to use it at stand off range, but you would have to fly up high to lob the bomb and that puts the plane at risk since the range still isn't all that long. It isn't clear to the authors either if there would be an opportunity to use them in contested airspace.

What it really opens up is the ability to precisely drop heavy bombs against preprogrammed targets so potential to strike some heavily fortified targets near the front lines if those targets of opportunity show up. HARMS do a good job of forcing anti aircraft sites to turn off temporarily, so there are ways to use them even if they aren't a wonder weapon that will break open the war like HIMARS were.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

The BBC are saying that the US is giving the Patriot missile system to Ukraine.

BBC News - Ukraine war: US Patriot missiles will comfort Kyiv and alarm Moscow
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63994648

Given that the story mentions them being used mostly again Russian drones, how much impact do you think this will really have? I wasn't under the impression that Russia used a lot of drones?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Whilst it probably would be economically inefficient to use expensive Patriot missiles against cheap drones, Ukraine isn't the one paying the bill. There have also been repeated rumors (not confirmed afaik) about the Iranians potentially also supplying short-range ballistic missiles to Russia, above and beyond their ongoing drone deliveries. Ukraine's air defence network is likely already strained, and would probably find it difficult to intercept these at the moment.

Patriot, which has pretty decent capabilities against short-range ballistic missiles, would beef up their defences against such attacks (whilst also being generally useful and dissuading other air/missile attacks).

Tigey fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 21, 2022

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

StarBegotten posted:

The BBC are saying that the US is giving the Patriot missile system to Ukraine.

BBC News - Ukraine war: US Patriot missiles will comfort Kyiv and alarm Moscow
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63994648

Given that the story mentions them being used mostly again Russian drones, how much impact do you think this will really have? I wasn't under the impression that Russia used a lot of drones?

I doubt they will be used much against drones (which are used a lot on the front lines by both sides), but on ballistic/cruise missiles (even the prop powered Shahad 136 or whatever it is is just a prop powered cruise missile) and aircraft if they are getting frisky on running down the S300 stock/Ukr aircraft.

Even the article itself implies that the Patriots will be retained around high value targets such as Kyiv. At three million dollars a throw, there is real value in Russia pumping out / buying lots of the cheap Shehad style drones to drive up the cost of the conflict on Ukraine and its supporter's side. It's going to be hard for Ukraine to withhold patriots, only dedicate Gerpards, etc to the defense and otherwise let the little $10-30k a throw missiles land on Kyiv.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Small White Dragon posted:

Most passenger jets flying between Europe/NA/Asia use the arctic circle. In theory, the Russians could shoot down a passenger jet (or a few) there.

Given the risk of assassination attempts, he might be traveling in a military plane, which might be somewhat harder to shoot down.

OTOH shooting down a passenger plane from a NATO country is prolly a step too far for Putin, at least for now.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I wouldn't choose Malaysian Airlines, that's for sure.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tehdas posted:

Given the risk of assassination attempts, he might be traveling in a military plane, which might be somewhat harder to shoot down.

OTOH shooting down a passenger plane from a NATO country is prolly a step too far for Putin, at least for now.

I guess he's travelling on US government plane from Poland and that would be REALLY BAD IDEA to gently caress with, especially over NATO member territory. Not even Putin is that dumb.

Conveniently, there is USAF Boeing 737 flying from Helsinki to Andrews AFB right now.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Well OK then, it is not often that you have a day where you pretty much know for sure that it is going to be a historic day. Zelensky flying over for a prime-time televised joint session of congress to ask for assistance to defeat a Russian invasion seems like a pretty big deal.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1605552544050184192

Question: Is there anyone left in prison in Russia?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The $15bn in humanitarian aid is good to see.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
I'm not sure I'm mentally prepared to see and hear MTG, Boebert, Gaetz etc. boo at Zelenskyy during his address to a joint session of Congress. Thankfully they'll be a very small minority.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Nothing conclusive on Nordstream attack that points to Russia, or any other actor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/12/21/russia-nord-stream-explosions/

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/21/politics/iranian-drones-russia-biden-task-force-us-tech-ukraine/index.html

quote:

The Biden administration has launched an expansive task force to investigate how US and western components, including American-made microelectronics, are ending up in Iranian-made drones Russia is launching by the hundreds into Ukraine, multiple officials familiar with the effort tell CNN. 

It's good to see this being taken seriously; some of the investigative reporting of the "company owned by a Russian national clearly exporting dual-purpose components to Russia in violation of sanctioned ons yet somehow operating" has been really disheartening.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Gervasius posted:

I guess he's travelling on US government plane from Poland and that would be REALLY BAD IDEA to gently caress with, especially over NATO member territory. Not even Putin is that dumb.

Conveniently, there is USAF Boeing 737 flying from Helsinki to Andrews AFB right now.

A USAF Boeing 737 just showed up that took off from Rzeszow airport in Poland which is right near the border with Ukraine. It's scheduled to land at Andrews AFB in about 90 minutes.

https://www.flightradar24.com/2e9bdc45

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The JDAM supply strikes me as preparation for major offensives. While HARM isn't magic, it does make it possible to do a short high intensity air campaign if you're willing to spend the missiles and risk the planes; You'd then want to get as much mileage as possible out of your airstrikes while you keep the pressure on and precision bombs are the way to do that.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Here's some stuff I've come across this morning.

Excerpt from Punchbowl's morning newsletter:

quote:

Happy Wednesday morning.

It’s going to be a huge day on Capitol Hill.

→ Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky will address a joint session of Congress this evening. It’s Zelensky’s first known trip outside of Ukraine since February, when Russia launched the brutal invasion of its smaller neighbor. Zelensky will meet earlier in the day with President Joe Biden and top Cabinet and national security officials. Biden and Zelensky will hold a press conference as well.

→ Senate leaders are still trying to reach a time agreement to move the $1.66 trillion omnibus spending bill in the next day or two. The deal hasn’t come together yet, but Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell are hoping it can today.

A massive winter storm is bearing down on the Midwest and East Coast, and senators want to get home for the holidays. The omnibus package contains $45 billion in economic and military aid for Ukraine and NATO allies, so Zelensky’s visit comes at a critical time for House Republicans, who are being urged by their leadership to oppose the legislation.

→ And the Jan. 6 select committee is scheduled to release its final report on the deadly attack on the Capitol at some point today.

Ukraine: We scooped Tuesday afternoon that Zelensky was headed to Washington. Biden and Zelensky discussed the possibility of a Washington visit during a Dec. 11 call, and the invitation was formally extended by the White House on Dec. 14, according to a senior administration official. Zelensky accepted several days later. White House officials and Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office began putting the details together over the weekend, with security of paramount importance, of course.

“Extensive planning” for this event goes back weeks, according to a Pelosi aide. The idea was first raised during a bilateral meeting in October between Pelosi and Speaker of the Ukrainian Rada Ruslan Stefanchuk in Zagreb. Pelosi had attended the First Parliamentary Summit of the International Crimea Platform in Croatia, at the invitation of Zelensky and Stefanchuk.

In a Tuesday letter from congressional leadership formally inviting Zelensky to speak, Pelosi said, “America and the world are in awe of the heroism of the Ukrainian people. In the face of Putin’s horrific atrocities, Ukrainian freedom fighters have inspired the world with an iron will and an unbreakable spirit – fighting back against Russia’s brutal, unjustified invasion.”

The address to a joint session is a fitting coda both for this Congress and Pelosi, who will step down from the House Democratic leadership at the end of this session. Pelosi visited Ukraine and helped shepherd much of the U.S. aid for that embattled country through Congress.

Zelensky’s visit to the Capitol is in many ways a natural progression for the Ukrainian leader, whose nation has benefited greatly from U.S. assistance that has only been possible because of bipartisan cooperation in Congress. Later today, for example, Biden is slated to announce the transfer of a Patriot missile battery and precision bombs as part of a fresh $1.8 billion infusion to the Ukrainian military.

Zelensky’s address – tentatively scheduled for 7:30 p.m. – is one of the most meaningful in years. He’s not the first world leader to address lawmakers while their country is engulfed in war. British Prime Minister Winston Churchill did so in the midst of World War II, while Iraqi and Afghan leaders also made similar speeches in recent years.

Yet Zelensky has become a global symbol of Ukrainian courage and determination in the face of overwhelming odds. His country has withstood 300 days of attacks from Russian forces and remains unconquered.

War fatigue is real here in D.C., however, especially among House Republicans. GOP lawmakers from the top down to the rank-and-file have openly questioned the continued flow of billions of dollars in military and economic aid to Ukraine.

Zelensky’s visit will be a huge boost for senior Republicans like McConnell and retiring Sen. Rob Portman (Ohio), who have actively sought to tamp down the “isolationist” streak in their party. In many ways, that’s Zelensky’s goal — to rally support for the Western coalition against Russia at a time when it’s seeing some cracks both at home and abroad.

This push will not, however, dissuade conservatives who see U.S. aid to Ukraine as a case of misplaced priorities. When Zelensky addresses Congress tonight, we’ll be looking to see who doesn’t show up.

One more note: The Senate will vote today on the nomination of Lynne Tracy to be U.S. ambassador to Russia. Tracy – who would be the first woman to hold this high-profile post – previously served as deputy chief of mission in Moscow. A career Foreign Service officer, Tracy is currently U.S. ambassador to Armenia. She would replace John Sullivan, who recently stepped down.

– Jake Sherman, John Bresnahan and Andrew Desiderio

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1605257387849424905
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1605237743885459456

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1605587464252403713

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1605588031204753408

What kind of armored vehicle is that?

e: switched accounts for the speech video

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Dunno which version is more credible, but in the comments it's been claimed a fake.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TameBasile/status/1605587989148471297