Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

There has to be something significant in the medical exam for a Boras player to sign for 35 million less at this point. Nobody looks good in this except possibly the Mets.

The Mets saved 35 million? There is a Bobby Bonilla joke there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the stove, she is too hot

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
https://twitter.com/GrantBrisbee/status/1605478930504290307

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Good morning baseball goons, what's hap..... LOL attaboy Correa thank you for being you!!!

Poor poor Giants....welp I'm gonna be busy listening to podcasts today!

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 21, 2022

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Sheesh. Imagine being on the verge of signing a free agent only for it to fall through. Better to just never sign anybody. -Jerry Dipoto probably

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

There has to be something significant in the medical exam for a Boras player to sign for 35 million less at this point. Nobody looks good in this except possibly the Mets.

He hasn't been examined by the Mets yet, either.

Uncle Steve said he was interested when Boras was negotiating with SF, he probably made an offer that would Boras could fall back on just in case. In which event, he's holding up his end of the promise but will likely be also likely be buying the advice of some really loving good Doctors.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I think I'm a Mets fan now lol. God Correa is the world's best baseball heel

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think the only difference in the contracts is one less year right?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Mets still should of traded Harvey after the '15 season.

e:

The Athletic/Andy McCullough posted:

After letting deGrom depart for Texas, Cohen started spending. And he really hasn’t stopped. In the course of one offseason, the Mets signed the youngest of the four available star shortstops (Correa), the most accomplished pitcher on the market (Justin Verlander) and the best reliever (Díaz). Almost as an afterthought, the team re-upped with Nimmo on an eight-year, $162 million deal. As an upside play, the Mets threw $75 million at Japanese pitcher Kodai Senga. Oh, by the way, there was a stray $65.5 million split between starter José Quintana, catcher Omar Narváez, and the relief duo of Adam Ottavino and David Robertson.

The outlay places the team’s projected luxury tax payroll around $380 million, $90 million beyond the third tax threshold, the so-called “Cohen Tax.” Cohen laughed at the tax after it was codified in the newest collective bargaining agreement. “It’s better than a bridge being named after you,” he said. He wasn’t joking — he does not care. And, if this even makes a difference, the brevity of most of these deals means the Mets will be considered the favorites for two-way star Shohei Ohtani next winter.

Even so, the team is trying to shed some salary. Correa makes third baseman Eduardo Escobar expendable. The presence of catcher James McCann is also redundant. General manager Billy Eppler can try to improve his pitching staff by dangling infield prospects like Brett Baty and Mark Vientos in trades — which might be tempting for the White Sox, who have listened to offers for closer Liam Hendriks. With Lindor and Correa each signed into the 2030s, there is little need for youth on the left side of the Mets infield.

So Eppler will stay busy through the holiday season. He had operated as an emcee for a variety of press conferences over the past two weeks, with Nimmo, Senga and Verlander all visiting New York. On Tuesday morning, Verlander was asked why he chose the Mets. His answer was the same as the reason why Correa, who was supposed to be introduced in San Francisco later that day, will now commit the rest of his career to the Mets.

“Steve,” Verlander said.

https://theathletic.com/4023796/2022/12/21/mets-owner-cohen-spending-correa/

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 21, 2022

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
deGrom must be super cooked if the Mets just willingly let him walk despite throwing money around like a drunken sailor

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Let's go Mets baby love da Mets

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Remember when the Mets lost DeGrom yeah me neither lol

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cool for a New York team to have two huge Puerto Rican stars in the infield

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

don't love this

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Turns out Correa's medical report turned up a terminal case of METS FEVER!!!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The only thing I dislike about it is that the Mets deserve misery for SNY’s despicable Ke’Bryan Hayes coverage and Buck Showalter’s braindead Ear Stunt, and as Correa is good, he will not bring them misery.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/MarcCarig/status/1605568873922805761

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
man what lmao

Giants fans were promised a big name and got uh

Mitch Haniger, Sean Manaea and Ross Stripling.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Spoeank posted:

man what lmao

Giants fans were promised a big name and got uh

Mitch Haniger, Sean Manaea and Ross Stripling.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Mets' luxury tax is nearly double the Pirates' payroll lmfao

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I hope Correa turns out to be one of the best FA signings in history and wins multiple MVPs and World Series on his way to the Hall of Fame. He also beats the Dodgers in the NLCS and the Yankees in the World Series, infuriating their respective fanbases.

Quoting this post now

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Quoting this post now

Some monkey paw poo poo right there

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

GalacticAcid posted:

SNY’s despicable Ke’Bryan Hayes coverage

What happened?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
This Correa thing is the most insane baseball thing that's happened in my life I'm pretty sure. Did SF really try to back out over some minor issue or did the Mets just buy a lit stick of dynamite?

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

MrMidnight posted:

I think I'm a Mets fan now lol. God Correa is the world's best baseball heel

My Mets fan mother in law is losing her mind.

2023 gonna be fun. Come on, Mets Astros WS!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kolby posted:

I don't know who you are but you sound like you'd be exhausting to have a normal conversation with

turn on your monitor

fast cars loose anus posted:

I cant believe this poo poo is happening at 2 am lol

Isn't that when the Twins signed him last offseason too lol

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Nodoze posted:

deGrom must be super cooked if the Mets just willingly let him walk despite throwing money around like a drunken sailor

That’s definitely possible by understanding was the deGrom never went back to the Mets after he got the offer from the Rangers. I think he was gone regardless.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

My Mets fan mother in law is losing her mind.

2023 gonna be fun. Come on, Mets Astros WS!

Might as well have a Mets/Astros WS now. They're the last legit NL East team (lol Marlins) left to play in the World Series

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 21, 2022

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I hope Correa turns out to be one of the best FA signings in history and wins multiple MVPs and World Series on his way to the Hall of Fame. He also beats the Dodgers in the NLCS and the Yankees in the World Series, infuriating their respective fanbases.

Thank you for these well wishes for the Mets

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

This Correa thing is the most insane baseball thing that's happened in my life I'm pretty sure. Did SF really try to back out over some minor issue or did the Mets just buy a lit stick of dynamite?

The best part is that regardless of which it ends up being its hilarious

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm shook

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Inspector_666 posted:

One of the guys in Seattle has a source in the Giants.

He said the issue was that it was something that showed up in a physical that was significant enough for SF to want to re-negotiate the deal. Didn't and won't say exactly what it was but he hinted it's due to a difference in interpretation of a soft tissue scan between team doctors, probably Correa's back.

Boras is notorious for not doing re-negotiations and he had Cohen's offer in hand when the Giants were the original winners. So Boras went back to Cohen and got his assurance that it would all go through.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 21, 2022

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

friendly reminder to all the baseball people who dont watch basketball, this is what the entire NBA offseason is like.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Steve Cohen owns

I wish the Blue Jays billionaire owners would spend money like that

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Penisaurus Sex posted:

One of the guys in Seattle has a source in the Giants.

He said the issue was that it was something that showed up in a physical that was significant enough for SF to want to re-negotiate the deal.

Boras is notorious for not doing re-negotiations and he had Cohen's offer in hand when the Giants were the original winners. So Boras went back to Cohen and got his assurance that it would all go through.

Yeah I mean, I fully understand why they didn't actually renegotiate the deal, I'm just really interested to know what was so bad that the Giants would do this.

People are making Kumar Rocker comparisons but this is an entirely different magnitude.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah I mean, I fully understand why they didn't actually renegotiate the deal, I'm just really interested to know what was so bad that the Giants would do this.

People are making Kumar Rocker comparisons but this is an entirely different magnitude.

This is me just guessing but probably the long-term prognosis of his back.

I wouldn't worry at all about if it's a 4 year deal but if you're signing for over a decade you're probably a lot more fastidious/picky about MRIs and what your doctors see on them.

e. the new thing out of the Seattle guy is that the Giants *wanted* to re-negotiate, they didn't nix the deal. They still wanted him but wanted more protection for injuries, Boras balked and moved on.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

https://twitter.com/beyondthehalo/status/1605449936916471808?s=46&t=6MwGwtPCtEyHDf45BS4aXA
With the right context, the Angels are making some good moves.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
if the Angels can avoid their entire team being hurt at various points they should cruise to 86 wins and be in contention for the last WC spot in the AL.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Wild news to wake up to. I love that Cohen is spending and hope this is just the Giants getting cold feet instead of a serious injury being around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Paul Zuvella posted:

friendly reminder to all the baseball people who dont watch basketball, this is what the entire NBA offseason is like.

yeah it rocks lol