Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

What kind of EVs are you using on your raid Iron Hands?

Adamant, 252/252 HP/Attack, remaining 4 use on the Defense of your choosing.

Basically every raid mon you’ll want HP and the relevant Attack stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

indigi posted:

can you buy them? in sumo you got like 60/day from poke Pelago

Auctions can sell up to around 80 to 90 berries. Raids also dump quite a few on you.

If you hatched an egg you'll need even less berries, as those start off at 120 friendship.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Comparing this gens sprites to last gens it's almost absurd how good some of them look now. Like Persian looks outstanding and yet its stats are still utter stinkburgers. Why must you torment me Gamefreak?

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Quote posted:

Amazing day for shinies. Nabbed Slowbro, Oinkolone, Phanpy, and Magnemite. Now I'm trying to hatch a blue nosed Girafarig and then I'll stop I swear.
Seconding this. I got venomoth, dunsparce, jumpluff, medicham and shinx with just the shiny charm today, no sandwiches. This game makes me want to just wander around checking for shinies and picking up sparkly spots.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I went to the beach by the electric gym and picked up three pearl strands, 3 big pearls, 6 pears, a bunch of berries and a ton of stardust just running back and forth while hatching eggs

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I went to the beach by the electric gym and picked up three pearl strands, 3 big pearls, 6 pears, a bunch of berries and a ton of stardust just running back and forth while hatching eggs

Yeah foraging in this game is actually really good. Area Zero is rife with rare berries and TMs if you can manage to get past the sparkle effect in the air.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 21, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Comparing this gens sprites to last gens it's almost absurd how good some of them look now. Like Persian looks outstanding and yet its stats are still utter stinkburgers. Why must you torment me Gamefreak?

Persian is eternally cursed to be balanced around Gen 1 where 70 base attack still wasn’t great but it was more in line with the status quo and it’s stupid high speed translated to more damage since your ratio was based on your base speed. Also I guess cursed because Gamefreak doesn’t like it, even Butterfree got a special attack boost like ten years ago.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think Persian is in a situation like Raichu where Gamefreak realized it was A Mistake to have the way more marketable design evolve.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Persian isn't terrible. Technician-boosted STAB Fake Out and Swift with a Silk Scarf, and then Technician-boosted U-Turn to reset Fake out is workable. In earlier generations Ambipom could run the exact same moveset with better stats, though.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Leaning that they hosed up the movepool of skeledirge and didn't include yawn despite its pre-evos learning it. Not very happy about that.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Saagonsa posted:

Leaning that they hosed up the movepool of skeledirge and didn't include yawn despite its pre-evos learning it. Not very happy about that.
Criminal to do that with a starter

Breloom doesn't learn Spore, either - Shroomish does at 40, so don't evolve until then and once you do you should never had them forget Spore or you can't get it back.

Also the only way to get Trick Room on a female Indeedee is via 5-star raids, so keep an eye out if you prefer their bulk to the males

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 21, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Persian looks just like my RL cat and I'm determined to make it useful someday. Unlike my RL cat who just yells all the time.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just kind of assumed everyone was just doing capture sandwiches for the legendaries. Even the level 2 Dark one was plenty to get all four of the shrine ones in 1-3 balls. I think I got Miraidon in my second.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've only used sandwiches when I couldn't find Frigibax after finishing the entire game. They basically forced me to use it to find one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I make a lot of sandwiches because I'm allergic to using potions outside of battle and also I hate having fainted pokemon when grinding so a quick two component sandwich gets the back on their feet.

Yes I have 500,000 dollars which is enough to cover more revives and max potions than I will ever use, what of it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

I make a lot of sandwiches because I'm allergic to using potions outside of battle and also I hate having fainted pokemon when grinding so a quick two component sandwich gets the back on their feet.

Wait, there are sandwiches that can heal your Pokémon? What are the ingredients?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Larryb posted:

Wait, there are sandwiches that can heal your Pokémon? What are the ingredients?

Any sandwich that you make is the same effect as taking them to a pokemon center. I just slap together whatever I have on hand that doesn't mess with encounters.

The time it takes to make a sandwich isn't always faster than just jogging to a center but in the mountain or desert areas it can be helpful.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

any sandwiches will heal Pokémon during a picnic

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yes I have 500,000 dollars which is enough to cover more revives and max potions than I will ever use, what of it

I haven't bought any potions since the bug gym and haven't needed to cause you pick up so many just running around and auto-battling

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

any sandwiches will heal Pokémon during a picnic

Huh, I made a bunch of Ham Sandwiches for Chansey grinding and never knew about that feature (probably because my team was at full health at the time). That’s convenient

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I've made like three sandwiches all game lol. maybe once I start legendary hunting I'll have to break out catch power ones

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

indigi posted:

I've made like three sandwiches all game lol. maybe once I start legendary hunting I'll have to break out catch power ones

I finished the Pokédex without doing that haha

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Hrist posted:

I've only used sandwiches when I couldn't find Frigibax after finishing the entire game. They basically forced me to use it to find one.

nice and literally same... until I saw the ludicrous payouts of Raid Power sandwiches 👀

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Larryb posted:

Huh, I made a bunch of Ham Sandwiches for Chansey grinding and never knew about that feature (probably because my team was at full health at the time). That’s convenient

It’s a very useful feature if you end up in a new area and just go hog wild capturing and the last pokecenter is a ways away. Probably why it’s in the game tbh.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Persian isn't terrible. Technician-boosted STAB Fake Out and Swift with a Silk Scarf, and then Technician-boosted U-Turn to reset Fake out is workable. In earlier generations Ambipom could run the exact same moveset with better stats, though.

U-Turn isn’t boosted by Technician. I’m sure Scizor would love if it was though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This seems so stupid to ask but Math Teacher Tyme and ghost gym leader Ryme are sisters right

What makes a family split into math tutor and goth queen

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

This seems so stupid to ask but Math Teacher Tyme and ghost gym leader Ryme are sisters right

What makes a family split into math tutor and goth queen

Yeah, and Tyme used to be a gym leader until Ryme took over for her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, do Ryme and Tyme ever directly interact with one another in this game?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I still say Houndstone not being part Rock was such a missed opportunity. Both because it's one of the remaining unused type combos and because we specifically have those two to act as important NPCs to bridge between the two types.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Geostomp posted:

I still say Houndstone not being part Rock was such a missed opportunity. Both because it's one of the remaining unused type combos and because we specifically have those two to act as important NPCs to bridge between the two types.

I'm kinda bummed that each of the good new doggos are monotype. They each seem good but monotype just feels boring to me :(

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Tender Bender posted:

I'm kinda bummed that each of the good new doggos are monotype. They each seem good but monotype just feels boring to me :(

Fairy/Fire Dachsbun and Ghost/Rock Houndstone seem like obvious choices, but I can't think of anything in particular to pair Mabostiff with. Fighting, maybe?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://twitter.com/Sibuna_Switch/status/1605461560293482496

Well that explains the sky high rate of critical captures. Most of them aren't really critical captures.

Failed critical captures aren't really visible anymore. It's the same as getting 0 shakes.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

wizard2 posted:

nice and literally same... until I saw the ludicrous payouts of Raid Power sandwiches 👀

Wait which sandwiches are the raid power sandwiches again? I feel like i have to keep going back to the serebii pages and pouring over it to figure out the details. Also do they give out more good poo poo like ability patches if I've eaten the magical sandwich?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Araxxor posted:

https://twitter.com/Sibuna_Switch/status/1605461560293482496

Well that explains the sky high rate of critical captures. Most of them aren't really critical captures.

Failed critical captures aren't really visible anymore. It's the same as getting 0 shakes.

That’s hosed up

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I don't even know what the gently caress a critical capture is.
I have a very deep-rooted muscle-memory-affected superstition to not look at the screen after I throw a ball, as though the catch will succeed if I pretend I don't really care about it. Same poo poo with holding up-B. Some poo poo you just keep doing because you've been doing it for over 20 god drat years.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

I have a very deep-rooted muscle-memory-affected superstition to not look at the screen after I throw a ball, as though the catch will succeed if I pretend I don't really care about it. Same poo poo with holding up-B. Some poo poo you just keep doing because you've been doing it for over 20 god drat years.

My wife was watching me play Violet and had to stop me to ask why I would hammer the A button when I'm going for a long shot catch on pokemon.

It's because "A" is the "accept button" so it makes it accept the ball more, it works, see it just caught it, also shut up

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Hrist posted:

There's a tera bax (can't remember if it's frigi or arcti) somewhere on the north end of the mountain, fwiw. Only way I found it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Diet Poison posted:

CuddleCryptid posted:

My wife was watching me play Violet and had to stop me to ask why I would hammer the A button when I'm going for a long shot catch on pokemon.

It's because "A" is the "accept button" so it makes it accept the ball more, it works, see it just caught it, also shut up

I remember telling my girlfriend "of course you're not catching it, you're not holding down+B!" a couple weeks ago. She looked at me as if my face had suddenly turned upside down.

I guess some people just don't have Pokemon superstitions lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CuddleCryptid posted:

Just tell her it's RNG manipulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Diet Poison posted:

it’s like a critical hit but for capturing Pokémon. they added ‘em in gen 5, and it basically means that instead of rolling three or four dice to determine whether a Pokémon is captured the game rolls one die. if it’s a yes, then it’s a yes. (in-game this looks like the ball performing one confident shake instead of a handful of iffy ones.)