Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok I'm back and hopefully in condition when I can follow some news again.

OddObserver posted:

So this is a little weird:
https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1605259964947529728
As far as I can understand the JDAM thing is a guidance conversion kit for dumb bombs, which sounds like something really hard to use w/o air superiority.
Ahh loving finally. Maybe the important part of the JDAM announcement is the implication? I.e. it's JDAM... and F-16s from which to drop them.

Patriots is great news. They do have a bunch of options for missiles and even if they're all more expensive than the lovely Iranian drones, they're cheaper than rebuilding powerplants every other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

What kind of armored vehicle is that?

In which tweet?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Last one, with the brief clip of it repositioning.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Tank

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Ahh loving finally. Maybe the important part of the JDAM announcement is the implication? I.e. it's JDAM... and F-16s from which to drop them.

Bold prediction: It will not be from F-16s anytime in 2023.

The singular patriot battery reads like a proof of concept to see how training and maintenance goes before committing to more.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

twitter /visegrad24/status/1605257387849424905

watch the speech, don't give fuckers from v24 clicks

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1605237743885459456

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Moon Slayer posted:

Last one, with the brief clip of it repositioning.

It's a T-72 variant of some kind with ERA blocks and anti-RPG cages on the rear side panels.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This made me laugh a lot more than it should have.

:: Hundreds of pages of specific discussion about very niche variations of all matter of military vehicles and equipment ::

"Whats this one?"
"Tank"

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/PhilipWegmann/status/1605621711478497280

Ynglaur posted:

It's a T-72 variant of some kind with ERA blocks and anti-RPG cages on the rear side panels.

Thanks!

cr0y posted:

This made me laugh a lot more than it should have.

:: Hundreds of pages of specific discussion about very niche variations of all matter of military vehicles and equipment ::

"Whats this one?"
"Tank"

:same:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Can we give Ukraine abrams yet? At some point it starts to feel like spending Ukrainian lives to satisfy some abstract metaphysical scruple in the minds of a couple dozen old men thousands of miles away.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Magic Underwear posted:

Can we give Ukraine abrams yet? At some point it starts to feel like spending Ukrainian lives to satisfy some abstract metaphysical scruple in the minds of a couple dozen old men thousands of miles away.

Sure just dump 'em over there and tell em to go hog wild.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1605630777856770048

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I noticed that he doesn’t salute his soldiers back. Is that normal?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Magic Underwear posted:

I think the issue with most of the flash things like f16s and abrams is none of the ukrainian military is trained on them nor has the logistics set up to maintain them

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yes. Do you not remember the fifteen billion words typed about Barack Obama not saluting boot marines on umbrella duty? Superiors saluting inferiors is a special thing, rarely done.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I assume it's because he's not a soldier himself? Maybe?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

OddObserver posted:

As far as I can understand the JDAM thing is a guidance conversion kit for dumb bombs, which sounds like something really hard to use w/o air superiority.

In theory the Patriots could shoot down Russian aircraft, giving Ukrainian planes room to fire JDAMs.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

FishBulbia posted:

I think the issue with most of the flash things like f16s and abrams is none of the ukrainian military is trained on them nor has the logistics set up to maintain them

It's also the fact both are not magic super weapons and no one has really posted any convincing evidence that either will be impactful enough to warrant overcoming the above mentioned challenges.

But they are both "sexy" things in the public imagining so it's what people keep pointing to because things like artillery, ammunition and other logistic stuff is "boring".

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/mj_lee/status/1605640621217222679

https://twitter.com/Jordanfabian/status/1605640739777613825

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 21, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The X-man cometh posted:

In theory the Patriots could shoot down Russian aircraft, giving Ukrainian planes room to fire JDAMs.

The thing limiting both the Russians and Ukrainans from operating airplanes as they please is mostly the presence of ground based anti-aircraft defenses, not the presence of other airplanes. Waving a magic wand and erasing the VVS and AVMF's airplanes would certainly help the Ukranians operate more freely, but it would still not be anywhere near a permissive environment and they would take substantial losses from ground based anti-aircraft defenses.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Also, one Patriot battery (or 20 of them) wouldn’t just neutralize the Russian air component.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yes. Do you not remember the fifteen billion words typed about Barack Obama not saluting boot marines on umbrella duty? Superiors saluting inferiors is a special thing, rarely done.

Superiors returning salutes is done 100% of the time. Superiors initiating the salute is done in special cases.

The Obama bullshit was because he returned a salute while holding a cup in the other hand or something.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Yeah, it was a cup of coffee and OMAGAWD THE DISRESPECT

In Zelensky's case, I imagine it's this.

THE BAR posted:

I assume it's because he's not a soldier himself? Maybe?

He's tried very hard NOT to borrow the trappings of military status for himself, and for a guy who so obviously has a keen grasp of optics, that can't be an accident or oversight.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Fighting Trousers posted:

He's tried very hard NOT to borrow the trappings of military status for himself, and for a guy who so obviously has a keen grasp of optics, that can't be an accident or oversight.

Really? He's wearing olive drab cargo pants and a sweatshirt in that photo with Biden.

It's basically the same as governors wearing fancy rain coats when doing press conferences when their state is getting creamed by a hurricane, except Zelenskys been dressing like a bum for months albeit during a more lengthy disaster.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fighting Trousers posted:

Yeah, it was a cup of coffee and OMAGAWD THE DISRESPECT

In Zelensky's case, I imagine it's this.

In the US, the President is CiC of the armed forces, so salutes are appropriate. I'm guessing Ukraine's government is structured differently.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

adebisi lives posted:

Really? He's wearing olive drab cargo pants and a sweatshirt in that photo with Biden.

It's basically the same as governors wearing fancy rain coats when doing press conferences when their state is getting creamed by a hurricane, except Zelenskys been dressing like a bum for months albeit during a more lengthy disaster.

Exactly. It's military adjacent civilian wear, but it's not a uniform. It's a solidarity thing.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1605646202078433297

(Blinken is Secretary of State and Sullivan is National Security Advisor)

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

adebisi lives posted:

Likely going for the everyman conscript look to symbolize solidarity with the Ukrainian civilians and reservists shivering in their homes or in the field. In contrast to looking like some Generalissimo with some uniform and fake medals which would give off an authoritarian look. A nice laundered suit on the other hand would not give the dirty freedom fighter look and make it look less like his country is desperate for help.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Telsa Cola posted:

It's also the fact both are not magic super weapons and no one has really posted any convincing evidence that either will be impactful enough to warrant overcoming the above mentioned challenges.

But they are both "sexy" things in the public imagining so it's what people keep pointing to because things like artillery, ammunition and other logistic stuff is "boring".
They're not super weapons of course. Just like HIMARS. wasn't.

They're however not only more modern and capable platforms, there's also a functionally infinite supply of them, spare parts, and ammunition, which isn't something that can be said of third-hand Sovient junk. Unless the war can be ended soon, it's a question of time when we'll run out of T-72s and BMP-2s.

Not saying they have to send F-16s right now, just that hopefully training and logistics have been worked on. If they'll really deliver Patriots soon, it means the training has been taking place for at least half a year despite there being no indication of it previously. Which if fine of course for opsec reasons.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Biden has a pretty good selection of paintings and busts in his oval office

didn't trump have like Andrew Jackson

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I think functionally infinite is an extremely bold claim given the supply issues observed so far, without even discussing how many are actually avaliable for transfer without undercutting whatever necessary reserve stock amount is deemed necessary, especially in a time with heightened world tensions.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1605645241310068737

Is it impossible to get a photo with Biden's eyes open

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In Eastern European countries (and in some other places) the rule is you don't salute unless you have some sort of military headgear on your head.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FishBulbia posted:

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1605645241310068737

Is it impossible to get a photo with Biden's eyes open

isnt zelensky supposed to go infront of congress for some speech soon? wonder which chud will yell something hosed up or awful.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 21, 2022

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

isnt zelensky going Infront of congress for some speech soon? wonder which chud will yell something hosed up or awful.

Joint press conference at 4:15 ET, speech in front of congress at 7:30pm. If someone does interrupt/boo it'll be MTG since she's been going on about how Zelensky is the "shadow president" and generally seems the most explicitly pro-Russian as opposed to just saying we're spending too much money.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

In the US, the President is CiC of the armed forces, so salutes are appropriate. I'm guessing Ukraine's government is structured differently.

The Ukrainian president gets to wave this around at inauguration:

(That's a mace, not a sceptre --- it's basically Hetman cosplay).

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 21, 2022

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I think it is America and some authoritarian countries that have their leader salute military people? Generally speaking, the top solider within a defense force will be reporting to a civilian within the department of defense. Saluting and all that jazz is to keep discipline and ensuring hierarchal control within the uniformed personnel, not for civilian leadership which should be well above that sort of stuff.

The Prime Minister of Australia doesn't salute, let alone King Charles saluting aussie soldiers at any sort of ceremony. He drives past and maybe has opinions on how well they have served the country but he doesn't interact with them directly in an official capacity, only informally where he might choose to do so.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

I think functionally infinite is an extremely bold claim given the supply issues observed so far, without even discussing how many are actually avaliable for transfer without undercutting whatever necessary reserve stock amount is deemed necessary, especially in a time with heightened world tensions.

Yeah, all of those tanks idling in American warehouses are needed in case Canada invades.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

BBC posted:

The discussion between the two presidents continues.

Zelensky says it's a "great honour" to be in the US. The Ukrainian leader then refers to his visit to the frontline city of Bakhmut yesterday.

He says a captain there asked him to pass his military medal on to Joe Biden, as he's a "very brave president".

Biden thanks Zelensky and says he wants to contact the captain to send a gift in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Quixzlizx posted:

Yeah, all of those tanks idling in American warehouses are needed in case Canada invades.

I think it's a fair claim that every country is reassessing what they deem "sufficent" as a reserve in case a war breaks out after watching the impact of the last 300 days on multiple nations military supplys, yes.