Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ritalin really is the adolf hitler of drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

I mean if Xi's crime is the pivot to "let it rip" re: COVID, I think the obvious choice for the murderous tyrant name mashup is Joe Xiden

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
they shouldn't of let it rip imo

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

indigi posted:

Yeah agreed major Joe Xiden moment

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

DiscountDildos posted:

I mean if Xi's crime is the pivot to "let it rip" re: COVID, I think the obvious choice for the murderous tyrant name mashup is Joe Xiden

xiden joeping

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

indigi posted:

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

america strongly condemns china for taking an american approach to covid

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
If we view China as an exasperated parent and the US as a demanding whining child then this is merely China throwing up its hands and going FINE I'll just give up and let a bunch of my citizens die DO YOU LIKE THAT and the child is going NO WANT

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/TGTM_Official/status/1604672879563378688

I've mentioned this before, but how difficult would it be to find internet comments that amount to "let's bomb the fuckers", for any language, of any country?

it's so disingenuous because the implication is that this is a majority opinion in the country... and that China deserves whatever the West plans for it, because of the existence of the people making these comments

Accounts like that are so funny, they find the most red meat things on the internet for their case and go "wow look at X, Y, Z". You can find dudes on twitter saying that Pol Pot and Guzmán did nothing wrong with 2-3 followers.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

anyways agree with the chinese posters there, russia should win and london should be bombed

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

anyways agree with the chinese posters there, russia should win and london should be bombed

reports on the bombing would list the drop in property values before human casualties

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

i say swears online posted:

obama's overhaul of the arsenal in 2014-ish was said to make it more reliable long-term and have cheaper upkeep but it's just an employment program and MIC handout imo

i still remember a tom clancy book talking about how russia's arsenal is completely nonfunctional and just has degrading rockets sitting in flooded silos across siberia, so it'd be no biggie to kick off armageddon with little retaliation. fingers crossed!!

Just the other day some moron Congressional Dem was saying that NATO could destroy Russia in 3 days. So these people are either extremely confident that they'll be able to destroy Russia's nuclear capability in a matter or hours, if not minutes. Or they really do think then missles couldn't even launch if they wanted to

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god the pearl-clutching tweets posted itt today are making me so mad lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

reports on the bombing would list the drop in property values before human casualties

Pretty sure the current London civilian death toll is more than Mariupol

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

One of these days I’m gonna learn mandarin and then I’ll join the chorus of online Chinese shitposters calling for the bombing of the UK/US. Soon

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I watched a video about the London houses are getting so expensive the landlords are digging 3 level 4 level deep underground to enlarge their house and also build wine cellar and jacuzzi into them because they "have to increase the value of their houses".

I hope somebody make a post-apoca movie about London landlords living in the minus 3 level of their houses forever.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

stephenthinkpad posted:

I watched a video about the London houses are getting so expensive the landlords are digging 3 level 4 level deep underground to enlarge their house and also build wine cellar and jacuzzi into them because they "have to increase the value of their houses".

I hope somebody make a post-apoca movie about London landlords living in the minus 3 level of their houses forever.

that won’t happen (because once enough people in an area start doing it all the subbasements start flooding and collapsing lol)

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

genocidal if ya do, genocidal if ya don't

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
What's even more infuriating than the media pivoting from "China should open up, their covid measures are pure tyranny" to "millions will die due to foolish Chinese decision to open up, also this might negatively affect the West!" is that the average Western media consumer hasn't noticed there's been a pivot at all. The propaganda is unbelievably blatant and yet still works perfectly fine because aside from us weirdos, nobody pays any attention.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

wouldnt the average age remaining static for a decade imply that we are building some power plants? if we weren't building any at all the average age would be going up.

yes, because eventually power plants stop working and are cheaper to replace than maintain (after ~58 years, which is another number that hasn't changed in ages)

the fact that the number isn't going down means there's no modernization effort, we're content to use decades old technology hence why our plant efficiency is so low compared to china or even western europe

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

atelier morgan posted:

yes, because eventually power plants stop working and are cheaper to replace than maintain (after ~58 years, which is another number that hasn't changed in ages)

the fact that the number isn't going down means there's no modernization effort, we're content to use decades old technology hence why our plant efficiency is so low compared to china or even western europe

It's called the efficiency of competition in a free market. Love it or overthrow it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gonna go slap Xi for being a dumbass.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You can find dudes on twitter saying that Pol Pot and Guzmán did nothing wrong with 2-3 followers.

I keep finding people paying respects to Gonzalo and Joma Sison together.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

I keep finding people paying respects to Gonzalo and Joma Sison together.

My favorite type of person online are the twitter maoists who say the most insane poo poo.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Orange Devil posted:

What's even more infuriating than the media pivoting from "China should open up, their covid measures are pure tyranny" to "millions will die due to foolish Chinese decision to open up, also this might negatively affect the West!" is that the average Western media consumer hasn't noticed there's been a pivot at all. The propaganda is unbelievably blatant and yet still works perfectly fine because aside from us weirdos, nobody pays any attention.

cause there hasn't been a pivot; the analysis of "China bad" has remained consistent. if the coverage had been like "hooray China is opening up like the civilized west!" people would have been confused and angry

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
A person clicking on the link of a western media would have been confused by a "China good" article.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/SGMWorldnews/status/1605505410785386497?t=7ZGJ_AEEVBcS3XeNdToXiw&s=19

drat that was quick

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

haha that owns, good update

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
how many A presses did they use to steal from a parallel universe

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Is there a conspiracy to foster hate towards the US?

So a couple months back, when I was still using TikTok, a certain clip kept popping up on my FYP. It was about American soldiers marching here in the Philippines whilst singing a song filled with insults towards us Filipinos. It looked like it was supposed to be set way back when we were still at war with the US. I didn't think much of it since we were enemies at one point, you'd think that things like that would have occurred. That is until a certain user popped up in one of the livestreams of a creator I followed on TikTok. She predominantly spoke in English and this user had an issue with that. Basically this user was asking why was she, a Filipina, using the tongue of a nation that once was our enemy. This user was then asking if she was aware of the atrocities that the Americans did to us. I took a look at this user's profile and it was filled with TikToks about the many ways the US has wronged us and why we should hate them.

From then on I became suspicious that there may be a campaign out there to spout propaganda against the US and sow hate. Now most likely I'm wrong and I'm just being paranoid, since the reoccurring TikTok of American soldiers marching and this user's profile were the only cases I have seen that make this seem possible. And I'm hoping I'm wrong. But with how successful disinformation has spread in social media recently, I just can't shake the feeling that I might be right.

What really irks me is why is it specifically the US that is being targeted. If we're bringing up countries that have wronged us in the past, why not bring up Spain as well? They had colonized us for a few centuries yet why does no one speak out against them? Is it because of how westernized our culture has become? Because of colonial mentality? Then why not bring up Japan as well? They occupied us during WW2 but now Anime is popular to many of us Filipinos and some are even obsessed with the Japanese culture. Why aren't there clips about them?

Sure maybe we shouldn't forget our past. And definitely we should learn from our history. But it does not mean we should not forgive. I see no advantage for us to bring back up old grudges and only downsides.

Again I hope I am wrong. I hope that I am just being paranoid. But if this is true, then it's scary to think of the possible consequences.

Have any of you encountered anything similar recently? Feel free to share down in the comments.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lol I can't help but wonder if this post itself is part of a conspiracy itself.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Some Guy TT posted:

does anyone else think its real loving gross how after badgering china to give up on covid zero for months the usual suspects are now all wow president xi personally murdering millions of chinese how dare he when the worst day for china in regard to covid is still like loving tuesday in the united states we just stopped bothering to keep track of how many people its killing anymore

Yes and if they are SA users they should be permabanned

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes and if they are SA users they should be permabanned

getting rid of paedos seems difficult enough so sadly i think the china watcher cunts won't be in trouble

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

does anyone else think its real loving gross how after badgering china to give up on covid zero for months the usual suspects are now all wow president xi personally murdering millions of chinese how dare he when the worst day for china in regard to covid is still like loving tuesday in the united states we just stopped bothering to keep track of how many people its killing anymore

Holy poo poo China just can't win with western journalists, are the restrictions extreme authoritarian population control or are they lifting the restrictions recklessly to save the economy and genociding its people?
Western media must seem like frothing lunatics.

Meanwhile the hub of advanced manufacturing tech and all major advancements lives in Asia.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

some holiday cheer with the big guy

https://english.news.cn/20221213/56d8b2a2496c4aaaacdfbe8bad268554/c.html

quote:

Xi Focus-Closeup: Xi's simple meals
BEIJING, Dec. 13 (Xinhua) -- An exhibit at the National Museum of China, revealing what Xi Jinping ate on an inspection trip, captivated much attention from visitors.

Now moved to the museum's online section, the order for dinner still receives many clicks.

It was a simple meal for 10 people -- braised chicken, local mixed stew, stir-fried pork, vegetables, and wax gourd soup. There was no alcohol.

Xi sat down in this small restaurant in the county of Fuping in Hebei Province during an inspection in late December 2012. It was just over a month after he was elected general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee. The food order not just revealed Xi's preference for simple meals, but drove home a key point in a set of rules that were colloquially called the "eight-point decision."

In early December 2012, Xi led the formulation of the game-changing code of conduct, laying down rules in eight aspects to improve leading Party cadres' conduct. They are required to conduct down-to-earth grassroots research, trim their entourage, hold fewer meetings, make shorter speeches, and practice frugality in their work and life.

At the eight-point decision's formulation, Xi said the Party's top leadership must abide by these rules. And he took the lead in setting a good example.

His meal choice sent a strong message as Chinese people regard "food as the first necessity" and what the top leader ate rightly reminded all Party members of the Party's fine tradition of frugality: they must resist any tendency to extravagance -- lavish meals included.

The general secretary indeed had a preference for simple dishes: in Gutian, Fujian Province, he lunched with grassroots representatives over plain red rice and pumpkin soup; in rural Shaanxi Province, he joined local folks to eat Loess Plateau dishes such as buckwheat noodles and fried dough.

And Xi would insist on paying the bills, even for a home-cooked meal for three that cost less than 100 yuan (about 14 U.S. dollars).

Such a thrifty style spills into every aspect of Xi's work and life: during inspections, he travels light and lives simply; for diplomatic visits, he gives clear instructions to precisely calculate the number of days the delegation stays in the hotel, in order to avoid wasting money.

While eating simply himself, Xi has ordinary people's meals on his mind. In the 1970s, as the Party chief in a poor village in northwest China, Xi said his earnest wish was "to make it possible for the villagers to have meat and have it often."

Back then, life for villagers was hard -- often no meat would grace their tables for months. Today, for people across the 1.4-billion-population country, meat is no longer a luxury, as China has eliminated absolute poverty and achieved building a moderately prosperous society in all respects.

But still, understanding what people eat remains an important part of Xi's inspection tours. He often visits the kitchens of ordinary homes to check what people eat and walks into the fields to see what is being grown at farms. It gives him insight into how people really live.

"I'm occupied with such kinds of stuff," Xi said. "The people's well-being is the country's most fundamental interest."

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

lmfao how could you have not seen this coming?

They really thought those sanctions would amount to anything.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I'm going to be real surprised if China manages to produce the 4 nanometer chips in less than 3 years given the supplier ecosystem you need to get up and runnin the actually produce those machines but also lol at the idiots who thought the sanctions would either mean China would never be able to do it or take decades to do it.

The most current cope I read in Dutch newspapers this week is that "by the time China can reproduce current ASML capacity innovation will have moved on from that point so they will still be behind". Which is like ok maybe but by the time Chinese companies have developed all this capacity in-house they also have a whole bunch of experienced personnel whose livelihood is doing exactly this kind of innovation so lol if you don't think they'll keep catching up ever quicker and all it takes is a couple bright ideas from them that nobody at ASML has thought of yet and now you're behind.

Plus re: the chip war, in that same latest analysis I read that the actual raw materials (rare metals) to produce the chips largely come from China. So if China just quits exporting those everyone else is hosed. Apparently the US is starting up its own mining operations but in Europe it's just crickets.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

The most current cope I read in Dutch newspapers this week is that "by the time China can reproduce current ASML capacity innovation will have moved on from that point so they will still be behind". Which is like ok maybe but by the time Chinese companies have developed all this capacity in-house they also have a whole bunch of experienced personnel whose livelihood is doing exactly this kind of innovation so lol if you don't think they'll keep catching up ever quicker and all it takes is a couple bright ideas from them that nobody at ASML has thought of yet and now you're behind.

yeah, we can say that even if China starts cranking out 7nm chips tomorrow that the West is still ahead with TSMC now up to 4nm, but the Great Leap, so to speak, was getting to a point where they could even start competing in the first place. It'll take them a lot quicker to go from 7 to 4, than it did for them to set-up and create the EUV infrastructure and manufacturing to start on 7.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
That whole misunderstanding of technological process as entirely linear so someone behind can never catchup makes sense if you're giant chauvinists that think the Chinese are just inherently worse at tech research

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

That whole misunderstanding of technological process as entirely linear so someone behind can never catchup makes sense if you're giant chauvinists that think the Chinese are just inherently worse at tech research

Meanwhile at the Technical University of Eindhoven (main partner uni with ASML due to geographic proximity): https://www.tue.nl/en/education/become-a-tue-student/scholarships-and-grants/china-scholarship-council/

hmmmm