Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
https://twitter.com/kelseyhightower/status/1605611567281627141

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJQU22Ttpwc

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Decon posted:

Just don't write bugs. Fire the devs that write bugs and hire more eXtreme ones. Failing to do so is just politics.

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1605641585047138305

Didn’t he quit because of managerial pushback?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Decon posted:

Just don't write bugs. Fire the devs that write bugs and hire more eXtreme ones. Failing to do so is just politics.

Organisations can safely ignore organisational matters. Sign of a healthy organisation

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dude escaped on his own but still has Stockholm syndrome

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Concerning

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Concerning

So many people don't get this

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Lt. Cock posted:

What do you guys think Elon’s favorite equation is

Bertucci's Equation

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Lt. Cock posted:

1 happy ending = 1 horse

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Lt. Cock posted:

Archimedes' principle equation, because he's a very special buoy.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Could really use some insight into the stock market from Elon Musk right now...

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Postman posted:

Could really use some insight into the stock market from Elon Musk right now...

Did you know that the Fed

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Also I don't know about equations, but I'm sure this is Elon's favorite proof

https://twitter.com/terrencehoward/status/925754491881877507?s=20&t=f7JZVxMuUJ1Yg1-A0wHFNg

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Droogie posted:

$137.49 closing, which is still down but it struggled all day today.

My favorite thing I saw was a reaction when it was 1/5 of a percent up from closing yesterday about 10 minutes from close: 'looks like it's going to be a strong rally today after yesterday's performance.'
IMO, just like with Bitcoin, it's all the dummies thinking past performance will be repeated, and they are "buying the dip" and thinking they're getting the deal of a lifetime. Elon's inability to shut up will continue to help the price tank, and the bag holders are still going to sit around coping with a sunk-cost fallacy. It owns so much.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I don’t know what stacks are in the present context, but knowing what I do of the people discussing them, I assume it has something to do with slurp juices and apes and losing lots of money.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Lt. Cock posted:

3/5 = 1

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

looking forward to elontora, good sir!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

:drat:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Decon posted:

One of the reasons I am happy to be out of tech is the everpresent dream of the Purely Logical systems and solutions. People imagining, like some sort of libertarian paradise, this wonderfully complex yet simple process and product, unsullied by the influences of those who don't comprehend tech, as a team comes together to will one man's vision into reality.

It's always complete bullshit. When a leader says there were no issues on an organizational level like this it's because his underlings worked their asses off to make sure nothing came back to the boss because he would just make things even worse than they were.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

The Postman posted:

Also I don't know about equations, but I'm sure this is Elon's favorite proof

https://twitter.com/terrencehoward/status/925754491881877507?s=20&t=f7JZVxMuUJ1Yg1-A0wHFNg

The gently caress?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Most techies have been cringing at the uneducated diarrhea he's been spewing, but there's a small and loud subset of CEOs making LinkedIn posts in the "you gotta hand it to him" vein and it's been really useful in making lists of companies I don't have to apply to in the future

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

N. Senada posted:

The gently caress?

can you believe marvel fired this guy?

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

If a goon presents a complex theory for why Musk does anything, immediately dismiss it

Guilty as charged.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ruddiger posted:

Where’s the engineer goon, I need to see if they concur or not

I'm an engineer goon and she's bang on correct.

Most important engineering traits:
1. If it ain't broke, don't gently caress with it
2. If it works but could be better, determine if the cost and risk of the changes are worth it. If not, back to 1
3. You have no idea what the person who originally put the system in place was dealing with so don't backseat driver it. It just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat to rip on another person's work without knowing the whole story.
4. Admit when you don't know stuff, and try to figure out how to learn about it/who to ask.

Probably the biggest growth mindset I've had in my 20 or so year career is just constantly realizing I don't know poo poo about most poo poo unless it is stuff I have been immersed in for quite some time. But get outside of that? Defer to someone else who has been immersed in that area.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

priznat posted:

I'm an engineer goon and she's bang on correct.

Most important engineering traits:
1. If it ain't broke, don't gently caress with it
2. If it works but could be better, determine if the cost and risk of the changes are worth it. If not, back to 1
3. You have no idea what the person who originally put the system in place was dealing with so don't backseat driver it. It just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat to rip on another person's work without knowing the whole story.
4. Admit when you don't know stuff, and try to figure out how to learn about it/who to ask.

Probably the biggest growth mindset I've had in my 20 or so year career is just constantly realizing I don't know poo poo about most poo poo unless it is stuff I have been immersed in for quite some time. But get outside of that? Defer to someone else who has been immersed in that area.

Most decent engineers have a formative experience where they looked at something that seemed way too complex for what it was doing, took it upon themselves to try to simplify it, and ended up creating something equally (if not more) complex, having wasted a lot of time in the process

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

N. Senada posted:

The gently caress?

This is the math nerd equivalent of falling for the onion

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

spidget posted:

say you're stuck using VB6

Welcome to my world.

I also work for a company that built much of the JWST.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Doctor Butts posted:

Dude escaped on his own but still has Stockholm syndrome

Stackholm syndrome was right there

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Where’s the engineer goon, I need to see if they concur or not

I run multiple teams that are refactoring a system that is probably not nearly as complex as the ones Twitter has but we have a similar size of userbase and scale, Sarah is speaking the truth in that thread, but imho the worst thing that Musk did was ruin the trust, trash the coherency of the teams, and basically smashed in like a wrecking ball to what would have evolved over time to be a stable and productive environment (probably; the few Twitter engineers I've met or interacted with gave me that kind of vibe).

If he'd spent a few weeks building understanding and rapport with the various teams he could have started tentatively putting together some ideas, reworking and trimming teams, mould the company towards his vision with the support of some of the staff. Instead he waded in with 'love me or leave!', 'get hardcore coding!', 'sleep in the office!', 'I have a great idea don't bother doing the sums this will save the company!'. I know very few engineers who will tolerate that kind of turd being laid directly on their desk. Even paid well enough, you can only work at that pace and in that environment for maybe a few weeks/a month before you start to suffer and your work goes to hell. It's why most tech-heavy companies will have a really good mental health framework - it's not just beanbags and fancy coffee machines (things Elon auctioned off almost instantly).

Oh, when I say our systems aren't as complex as Twitters, I still reckon on around 3 months to know the systems a engineer will be working with directly (fairly nasty/osbcure tech stack, which is why we're refactoring it). Maybe 6 months to know the systems around that fairly well (there's a lot of those). Maybe a year before I'd trust someone to go on-call supporting our full suite of products and know what horrors lurk in various corners of our systems and code repos.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

Didn’t he quit because of managerial pushback?

First of all, Elon is a genius and certainly the best engineer this world has seen.

Second, I left Twitter because it was obviously going down the shitter because of a complete loving moron at the helm making the dumbest decisions possible without the slightest clue of how anything works. Also we don't have food in the cafeteria anymore.

Third, Elon Musk is a god among men and I wish he'd let me suck off his toes just one time, is that too much to ask?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Data Graham posted:

Saying things like "We need to just rewrite the whole stack, throw it all out and start over from scratch" is the perfect know-nothing thing to say

Makes you sound like a Big Brained Idea Guy who's Not Afraid to Make Big Moves, and Has The Money to Make it Happen

It's also completely bereft of any need to understand anything and it puts the onus on his hapless devs who now have to rewrite 15 years worth of established technology from scratch in probably like 3 months, without the benefit of any of the knowledge of the people who wrote it the first time (because they're all fired)

Yeah we're going to the moon again. You're not allowed to look at any Saturn V technology. Go

This made me think of a couple tweets I saw a while ago so I went back and found it. The realization that looking like a slob and acting too cool (this guy wants to REWRITE THE STACK, oh my god, he's playing LEAGUE OF LEGENDS during this meeting?!) is just part of the scam to make themselves look like they're seeing things at another level hit me like a truck.

https://twitter.com/SzMarsupial/status/1592967063965863936

A couple tweets later, they mention that the "tech genius that is such a brilliant engineer that the rules of collaboration don't apply to them" doesn't exist and oh hey wonder if that's relevant. :v:

What're the odds he picked Salmon specifically just so he could say it was fishy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Butterwagon posted:

Most decent engineers have a formative experience where they looked at something that seemed way too complex for what it was doing, took it upon themselves to try to simplify it, and ended up creating something equally (if not more) complex, having wasted a lot of time in the process

Yup and hopefully it is just time and not actual real world damage that can get caused! It is one of those things that can't really be taught in school I suppose, but it would be an interesting course project where they're given the best working course project from a previous year and the goal is solving for efficiency. Find out who realizes the most efficient thing to do is not gently caress with it and turn in the end project basically unchanged, get an A+ :haw:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jestery posted:

This is the math nerd equivalent of falling for the onion

I don't think it's a comedy bit.
This sort of stuff is a very common symptom of mental health problems, and he's been saying more and more of this schizophrenic-sounding stuff over the last few years

EDIT: yeah it's at the stage where he believe he has a grand unified theory for unlimited energy and is the only person who can save the world.

Sad to see it happen.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 21, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That kind of stuff is why Marvel swapped in Don Cheadle for Rhodey iirc. Kinda sad. He still had a gig with Empire for a while though.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Musk's tweet on the day when Donald Trump signed a $1.3t omnibus spending package

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/976414452106055680

Musk's tweet on the day when Donald Trump signed a $1.4t omnibus spending package

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1344020569151434752

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tunicate posted:

I don't think it's a comedy bit.
This sort of stuff is a very common symptom of mental health problems, and he's been saying more and more of this schizophrenic-sounding stuff over the last few years

EDIT: yeah it's at the stage where he believe he has a grand unified theory for unlimited energy and is the only person who can save the world.

Sad to see it happen.

Today I learned that 20% of schizophrenia onset cases occur after the age of 40, and that is a terrifying piece of knowledge.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

kazil posted:

can you believe marvel fired this guy?

Was he their accountant? If so, then absolutely I can

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

More leftists have entered the complex, master.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Today I learned that 20% of schizophrenia onset cases occur after the age of 40, and that is a terrifying piece of knowledge.

and - for reasons not understood at all - people who are blind from birth appear to be 100% immune to schizophrenia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

MJeff posted:

What're the odds he picked Salmon specifically just so he could say it was fishy.

I believe the salmon thing has become a bit of a “jokey” Republican talking point, I’m sure that’s not why famed centrist Elon Musk picked that one particular item in a giant bill though